It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eating Disorder Recovery Message Board

• Wanting to eat all the time

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
    Sari05
    Veteran
    (female)

Sari05 HB User
    Unhappy Wanting to eat all the time

My doctor just diagnosed me with a eating disorder. I do eat healthy foods, but I eat alot of junk food. I have been buying junk food and hiding it in my bedroom where my family can't find it, and I eat all of it in my room too. Also I eat some of my dad and brother's snacks for lunch when they go to work.
    I have gained alot of weight and I'm on medication that makes me gain weight, so that makes it worse.

I'm addicted to food, I have lost weight before in the past. But I gained it all back and this time it's even more hard for me to lose. I do exercise I go for walks everyday. But that doesn't stop me, I just want to eat. I do enjoy eating but the thing is that after I eat my dad and brother's snacks and my own junk food, I feel shame because I know it's wrong. My family knows that I have a eating problem, they are on to me. But the thing is that I'm in denial about it, I won't admit to them that I have a eating problem. I do have that problem and I admitted it to my counselors and doctor's. I know that my family cares about me and wants to help, and I know that they are concerned about me. But the thing is I feel like I can't quit and I'm worried that I'm going to have more health issues because of it. When my mom talks to me about my weight, I get mad at her and tell her that it is my business. Also I have told her that I don't care about my weight.But the truth is that I do care about my weight and I want to do something about it, it is really hard.

Does anybody have this problem? Any kind of advice would be great because
    I'm having a hard time controlling this problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
    SqrrlGrrl
    (female)

SqrrlGrrl HB User
    Re: Wanting to eat all the time

Hi Sari,

For some people, cutting sugar and white flour out of their diet helps. Some find those foods to be terribly addictive. Have you considered attending OA meetings?

SG

Old 05-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
    SqrrlGrrl
    (female)

SqrrlGrrl HB User

Hi Sari,

I should have mentioned in my last post that I want to eat all the time too. I live alone so there is no one to stop me when I start a binge. I can shovel the food in from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. It is really really scary

Now here is the crazy thing...When I'm not in the food and I'm out living my life, I couldn't be happier. But there is still some crazy part of me that makes me shut myself up in my house and binge eat till I'm miserable and wishing that I was out having fun

Not a fun way to live

Old 05-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
    Sari05
    Veteran
    (female)

Sari05 HB User

Hi Sqrrl Grrl,

Thanks for the advice. It makes me feel better knowing that I'm not the only going through this. When I don't buy a bunch of junk food, I have withdraw symptoms and the cravings are the worst. I'm thinking about joining overeaters anonymous. I'm having a really hard time with this. Like you said, it's not a fun way to live. Also being obese like
    I am can cause alot of health problems. My doctor is concerned about me and really wants me to lose weight. It's really hard to stop eating so much.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
    SqrrlGrrl
    (female)

SqrrlGrrl HB User

I may have a suggestion....

Maybe next time you are craving junk food, you could sit down with a 5lb bag of a certain orange vegetable or a certain kind of fruit that is round and grows on trees (I believe William Tell put one on his head???). And give yourself permission to eat all you want. I don't know anyone who gained weight eating non-starchy fruits or veggies. Plus! they are both natural forms of sugar which may help with your cravings.

I know it's weird advice, but it may get you through the junk food withdrawal

SG

Old 05-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
    Sari05
    Veteran
    (female)

Sari05 HB User

SqrrlGrrl;

Thank you so much for your suggestion and advice! I will give that a try. I do eat fruit and veggies but not a whole lot. I have to try something to get rid of the cravings for junk food.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-08-2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 05-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
    saraliesel
    (female)

saraliesel HB User

Hee hee. Again I find myself thinking, "I do that, too." Except my favorite are grapes. I guess 'cause they're hydrating, and if I've recently had trouble b/p-ing, I'm dehydrated to start. I guess carrots have less calories if you're concerned about weight gain, but I'm sort of past that now (mostly - I mean I'm a normal weight and have been for more than a year). I love dipping my fruit in nonfat yogurt. Actually, I used to peel the grapes with my teeth, eat all the peels, and then drop the peeled grapes in the yogurt. It took at least an hour, if not two, to eat a small bowl of grapes and a 6 oz. container of yogurt. And all the while my taste buds were in (a healthy!) heaven.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
    goodlou
    Inactive
    (female)

goodlou HB User

I overeat all the time and it makes me feel terrible about myself. I've been trying to think about how I feel every time I want to eat something and I'm not hungry and write it down.

Then look at what I've written and try to decide not to eat - it's really hard but understanding why I want to eat when being overweight makes me so unhappy is key I think.

Keeping lots of fruit and healthy food in the house is key - i'm trying to change what i eat and then the amount. Can't do too much at once!

Old 03-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
    RoRosGirl
    (female)

RoRosGirl HB User

I know what your going through. I constantly have been eating and I don't know why. It didn't start till I made up my mind to lose weight as I do weigh too much for my body type. I don't know what to do either all I know is I wanna lose weight but am now getting these cravings and feeling the need to eat.....

Old 03-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #10
    RoRosGirl
    (female)

RoRosGirl HB User

I love that idea, I'm sure you could do it with other fruit to (thanks saraliesel)

Last edited by RoRosGirl; 03-09-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Closed Thread