It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Will Someone Pls. Read My Hormone Results-Female Low on Testosterone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-28-2009, 03:47 PM   #61
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
    Re: Will Someone Pls. Read My Hormone Results-Female Low on Testosterone

Hi Salty - sorry to hear you feel so bad emotionally. I tend to experience the same thing myself, but i find it depends on how other things in my life are going too. If things are great and going well, i find i'm a lot more positive during those typically more emotionally unstable days leading up to your period. If things in life are 'down the toilet', then i'll be a lot more emotional during the lead up to my period.

I think if you generally experience more 'down' time in the lead up to your period and if things in life aren't going in the direction you wish then it's natural to break down and have a cry. We also tend to feel more sorry for our selves, wonder 'why me', 'what did i do to deserve this'. Once your period arrives or is finishing, you can already cope better and you look back and think 'did i overreact'.

It is quite a roller coaster, but this is why at this time, whether we like it or not, we need to put as many positives into our lives, get out and about, have a coffee with a friend, go out with a friend for the day. Do anything, but don't spend too much alone time feeling 'emotional'. That's the only answer i've got. My period is due any day and i watched that TV show Criminal Minds the other night and it was a sad one. Normally i'd not cry over a character, but this time i did. It starts about someone or something else, then before you know it you are crying about your own issues in your own life. Much later when it's all done and dusted i can't believe i acted like that. So make sure i watch happy, fun stuff which makes me laugh.

Like you said, early nights are good too and if i find i'm 'thinking' too much on going to bed i will take one Valerian capsule (it's natural and from a plant), it's very calming and not a chemical, so is safe to take. I find it calms me to the point i feel sleepy and i get a good nights sleep.

Hoping you feel better soon BIG huggggggggggs to you, take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2009, 05:05 PM   #62
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Hi, salty, I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling so bad. Audrey gave you great advice. It is bad to isolate when you're depressed. Even though you may be tempted to do just that. I know when I'm depressed, the last thing I want to do is be around people, especially those I love, because I end up being very grouchy and bite their heads off. My period is due next week. At least I think it is anyway. Some months they start on time, some months two days early, some months four, who knows anymore. Anyway, this week has been really bad for me, too. The day before yesterday, I couldn't stop crying. And, yesterday, I had horrible mood swings and my husband and I got into a big fight and I left. I came back, though, and things are okay now. It wasn't the first fight we've had since this all started two years ago and I'm sure it won't be the last. I don't think the progesterone cream is working as good anymore.

Wish I could offer you better advice. Just know that you're not alone. Great big {{{hugs}}}

Old 05-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #63
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User

Thank you, both of you. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

I find I can only take so much of being around others because I'm sooo moody.

I keep thinking the T cream is going to kick in and make things better.

I luv ya both-don't know what I'd do without you two. I want us to all feel better.

Many hugs,

Salty

Old 05-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #64
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Do you all think that other meds can affect the T cream? Do you know any that definitely do?

My prim. has been suggesting lamictal as an add-on to the lexapro that I've been on for years (to boost it) because I've been feeling so down, but I know for a fact I will break out from it and I'll have to go on minocycline.

I'm afraid to go on anything since the T cream hasn't kicked in (especially an antibiotic).

I just know my symptoms are hormonally-related and I want to give the T cream as much time as needed to start working (even though I'm pretty miserable right now).

It's tempting to want to take something else, but I don't want to just jump into another med. (especially when I know how low I am in T).

It won't be 4 weeks until the 7th. My appointment is on the 11th. I know I'm repeating myself, but he said it may start to kick in by the 3 week mark and not to be surprised if it doesn't that soon.

I'm even thinking I should move my gyn. appointment back another week because there's no sense testing for it too soon.

He told me we'd check it in a month, but maybe I should give it a good 5 weeks, what do you think?

I'd hate to pay for a visit if it hasn't started working yet.

I'm also concerned about the post on here where the T cream never kicked in at all...can't get that out of my mind. I know kittywitty is wondering about that too.

Audrey-B, you might know...is that common...where it just doesn't get in your system--ever?

I'm sorry for all the questions and for needing more advice. Take your time writing back...I'm slow getting on the computer right now.

Hugs,
    Salty

Old 05-29-2009, 11:25 PM   #65
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi, salty :-)

I'm not really familiar with lamictal. However, since lexapro is an ssri antidepressant, it could hinder the effectiveness of your cream because, as I've said before, ssri's lower testosterone. Your doctor may try to refute this claim, even though there's plenty of information to the contrary all over the net. One has to only do a search and they'll find tons of information about it. Regarding that post, I was actually more freaked out by the side effects she said she had, being that I'm sensitive to things. I saw an endocrinologist today and I'll be getting my hormones checked again over the next few weeks. I'll most likely need the T cream and I'm still a little scared after what that post said. Anyway, I really hope you're feeling better soon. You sound like such a nice person, salty. Thinking of you. :-)

Last edited by kittywitty; 05-30-2009 at 12:03 AM.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #66
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you, kittywitty. I am also thinking about those side effects she mentioned. I'm sensitive to many things also. I wish she'd write back.

I keep checking the top of my hair for any signs of baldness!

If I would have known you were going to see your endocrin., I would have had you ask a bunch of questions for me.

Did you ask him about the side effects or anything that other member wrote about? Did you ask him anything you think I might find helpful? Sorry, kittywitty...I'm getting discouraged.

So the cream may be slow to act because of the lex. You aren't on any of the meds you were on (or any new ones)? You are off all meds now? (I'm hoping you will say you aren't so I won't feel so bad about the lex.)

Oh, kittywitty...I don't want to go off it. It's the only thing that ever helped with my anxiety/depression bouts. Yes, I know a lot of good it's doing now around my period. It's a catch-22.

I'm sure other meds must lower T, not just SSRI's-- other people must have to deal with this too, right? And the ones who are on an SSRI must have to deal with this.

There have to be people who have to stay on certain meds that also happen to lower T, so they add T, right? I'm also asking this of Audrey-B.

I could try posting about the SSRI's and T. What board do you think I should put it on?

Uggh! Kittywitty, I saw it online about it lowering T. I'd like to hear I'm doing something right by adding the T.

Please write back to my zillion questions when you can. I'm upset about this...it just seems like when I think I have the answer and it's going to help (adding the T)--I hit some kind of roadblock. I just want to feel better, you know?

I guess that answers my question about adding any another med.

Could you please keep me posted about what happens with your test results and what your endocrin. is going to do, etc.?

I hope you do better than I am right now...I'm having a little pity party for myself and the tears are starting again.

Lots of hugs kittywitty and thank you for being here,
    Salty

Last edited by salty; 05-30-2009 at 03:35 PM. Reason: added

Old 06-01-2009, 03:22 AM   #67
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hi Salty - i don't know anything about the other meds you have mentioned and i've never even heard of them or what they are for, so sorry i can't help you there.

If these meds 'can' interfere with your hormone meds and your moods/depression etc are due to your hormone symptoms then going off these other meds and giving the hormone treatment a go 'might' be worthwhile.

If the hormone treatment is taking it's time to kick in, then i'd not be worrying about side effects as i couldn't see any issues arising too soon. If you did notice any undesirable side effects, wouldn't it just be a matter of stopping the treatment and your testosterone levels would start dropping again?

I don't know how all this works as my issues are opposite of yours. My testosterone was a bit over the maximum lab range and my doctor is monitoring it so it doesn't get any higher.

I do agree with you on maybe postponing your next doctor's visit so as to give this cream a bit more time to work.

My 'guess' would be that the other meds you are on right now are somehow preventing your hormone creaming from acting.... OR.... you have some other health issue going on alongside the low testosterone .... OR ..... the dosage of the cream isn't strong enough. I do know that a lot of your symptoms are linked to low testosterone, but the fact you feel so much worse, symptom-wise, prior/during your menstrual cycle confuses me. I'm not sure of how testosterone and menstrual cycles work in together. The symptoms you appear to suffer at period time, traditionally known as PMS, is typically linked to estrogen/progesterone balance at that time. Ever since my naturopath got me taking Vitex tablets daily, i've never experienced PMS bloating for the last 3 periods i've had.

When you had your estrogen and progesterone tested, was it tested at the right time of day/month? Could the estrogen/progesterone test you had done not be truly indicative of your true estrogen/progestrone state?

My hormone issues are in part looked at by my thyroid doctor, but a big part is dealt with by my naturopath. There hasn't been any form of medicine to help with my excess estrogen symptoms the way the herbs from the naturopath have helped. Have you ever thought of consulting a naturopath or a homeopath?

I really feel for your situation and have run out of things to suggest. What is going is definitely hormonal, but as hormones and hormone treatments affect each person individually, you are breaking new ground as nobody will know how it will work for you until more time goes by.

Wishing you all the best as always and i hope one day you will post good news

Old 06-01-2009, 04:14 PM   #68
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi, Audrey-B. Thank you for writing, dear. I know I have really taken you for a hormonal ride with me...and you didn't ask for all this.

As I've written before, if it wasn't for you, I would never even know I was low in T. I'm grateful.

I understood everything you wrote and I did postpone the appointment to give the cream more time to act. It is low dose (1%) and it's just been 3 weeks so I need to be more patient.

I get sooo bad, Audrey-B about a week and a few days before my period and then during it for the first few days. This has been going on for a long time.

I thought maybe when the fibroid and cyst were removed, I would experience it less, but it's just as bad.

The med I am on is an SSRI which increases seratonin (or helps you to keep it in your system). Kittywitty let me know that this group of meds does lower T.

Of course I will ask my gyn. about this when I see him (and also my prim. care dr, when I see him), but I really don't want to take a higher dose of the T cream right now and it seems to me that the obvious thing to do is try to increase T when you are low in it. I'm sure the optimal would be to go off the med, but I really need to stay on it.

I am writing to you without crying because I exercised today for the first time in a very long time. I felt sooo good while I was doing it...I made up my mind today that I have to try to increase the endorphins because I've been so down.

That's some good news for a change, Audrey-B!

I'm trying to take the med earlier than I was before...I was taking it at the same time as I was putting on the cream...don't know if changing the time will help, but anything's worth a try at this point.

I have even thought maybe I should lower the dosage of the med., but when I was on a lower dose, I was worse. Maybe one of my drs. or someone on the boards can shed some light on this. I don't know what board to post about it on.

I was told by someone who calls herself a "naturalist" that vitex was not good for people like me who are always plagued with estrogen-related things such as fibroids and cysts so I stopped taking it (this was years ago). I was told to stay away from anything "estrogen-related" as it could "mess" with my estrogen level and increase it.

I'm sorry I'm skipping around a lot, but I did have my estrogen/prog. levels checked at the right time and the right day of my cycle.

I am confused why I have such terrible PMS as well.

I guess I have to ask my gyn. about this.

I do know I am not going to go on another med (to boost the one I'm already on--SSRI's sometimes don't work as they should after awhile so another med is added). I have to concentrate on the T cream and getting that level right.

I'm not going to think that the T cream will not work because of the med. I am going to think positively and hope it will increase my T. If over time, it does not, then I'll have a hard decision to make--for now, I'm going to pray it works.

I just reread your advice on exercise. I am going to do no more than 45 minutes, 3 times per week and do it as early as I can.

I want to do a M, W, F schedule, is it okay to take the weekends off?

I have a headache right now and I can remember I used to get them when I first started working out. I don't know if it's period-related or exercise-related, but I remember the feeling. I would have to take motrin. At least I'm not crying, sweetie!

You have been wonderful to me, Audrey-B. I really appreciate all your help.

I hope you get your hormones on track. I want you to feel great!

I meant to ask you, I take the zinc alone, but the magnesium is with my calcium. Is that okay?

Write back if you get the chance.

Many hugs,
    Salty

Last edited by salty; 06-02-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: delete and added

Old 06-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #69
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Salty - the hormone road is a difficult one to travel and if the doctor is not up to date with information and learning then you run the chance of not getting the best help.

Removing your fibroid and cyst can help certain things eg: removing fibroid would remove bad pain/cramping and make your monthly cycle a bit smoother, but if the excess estrogen which caused the fibroid is still there, you would still be having symptoms related to estrogen dominance. It's a good idea to have an ultrasound yearly or once every two years to check that fibroids/cysts have not returned.

I've received one of my estrogen tests back and my estrogen has increased. I'm not sure why, whether it's stress related as i've been quite anxious and stressed for the last 1 - 2 months. I'm a bit better now. I had quite high blood pressure last week and thankfully it's coming down on it's own.

I've been on Vitex in liquid herbal form, but now am taking it in tablet form and finally i don't get any more bloating or painful breasts before and during my period. I still do get a bit emotional just before my period even being on Vitex.

I too have read reports saying Vitex isn't good if you have estrogen dominance, but others swear by it helping regulate estrogen and therefore PMS. I don't know who to believe. It's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place. You don't know what to try, who to trust, how long to wait for something to work and are there other factors contributing to the actual problem.

I do know in my case that thyroid and adrenal problems are also known symptoms of estrogen dominance and i've got all of these.

It's great you are exercising again. I stopped doing my morning exercises and i've noticed now and in the past that when i stop i slowly begin to get that lethargic feeling and will feel a bit 'off' and more emotional during PMS time. I'm 'slowly' getting back into it.

I agree, as you are on a low dose hormone cream, it could take twice as long to start working, but as the doctor didn't know how you would react to the cream it was wise of him to start you off on a low dose and gradually build you up.

I'm not sure how zinc, magnesium and calcium should be taken. I do know you can't take iron supplements with zinc or calcium as they inhibit the absorption of iron. Maybe ask someone on the Vitamin section of the boards.

You take care and keep up with the exercise as it gives me more motivation

Old 06-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #70
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hey, salty I'm so sorry I haven't replied in awhile. I've been away for a bit, feeling poopy. I felt better once my period started. Now it's done, and I'm feeling slightly blah, but not like garbage, if that makes any sense.

I voiced my concerns to the endo about side effects from the T. He said starting at a lower dose minimizes side effects.

What dose of Lexapro are you on? If you're on a low dose, it may not interfere with the T cream too much. No, I'm not on meds anymore. I've been off Prozac for over two years.

I can't remember, have you ever had your estrogen or progesterone checked? Too much or too little of one or the other can cause anxiety, depression, or mood swings. So, a bioidentical cream of one or the other may just do the trick and you may not need the Lexapro.

There are many, many people that suffer low testosterone from SSRI's. So, you're definitely not alone there. Don't know if that helps or not, but at least you know you aren't the only one. I'm not sure about other meds that lower T, but I think I've read that blood pressure lowering meds and meds for diabetes lower libido. So, maybe they lower T?

I totally understand your need to feel better, I'm right there with ya. The endo has ordered rounds of blood work including: estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, FSH, LH, TSH, T3, T4, prolactin, hemogram (anemia testing), liver enzymes, diabetes (runs in my family). I think that's everything. I can't be sure, though, because there's codes on there I can't understand. I'll ask the tech when I go to the lab. I'll be going on Friday to get most of it done, and next week for the progesterone. Hopefully, I'll figure out what's going on. I'm convinced that I have low thyroid because of the symptoms I'm having, but I guess time will tell.

You're so welcome, big {{{hugs}}} to you too.

Last edited by kittywitty; 06-08-2009 at 05:38 PM.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #71
    Val7
    (female)

Val7 HB User

I'm new here and I really feel for you. I'm in the process of trying to get my hormones balanced which is always an individual situation. There is no one size fits all. I have what I think is an excellent book on the subject that explains bioidentical replacement for all the problems and all the phases from the beginnig of menstruation on through to late menopause. I'm sure you situation is address and explained very thoroughly. It's been a life saver for me eventhough I'm just getting started it. <removed>

<<<names of books are allowed. ---mod-anon, HealthBoards Moderator>>>

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-11-2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Old 06-16-2009, 07:04 PM   #72
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hey, girls!

Well, I saw the endo today, and needless to say, he turned out to be an idiot. I was in the follicular phase of my cycle when the test was ran and my estrogen was very high. It was 273 and the reference range was 11-165. He wasn't the least bit concerned either! I asked him should I use more progesterone cream to bring it down and he saw no and that it wouldn't make a difference. My testosterone is supposedly normal, 62 in a reference range of 14-76. I said I still have no libido, he didn't have an answer for me. Big surprise. My cholesterol is high at 268. I did find out that it's low estrogen that causes it to be high, though, not the other way around. Of course, he offered me pills for it. No, thank you, I'll go to the health store and get something there. My tsh was normal, but my t3 and t4 were on the low end of the normal range. Again, he offered pills for that, and I said no. I do know that excess estrogen causes low thyroid. He should have addressed that instead of trying to throw meds at me. He didn't even care, though, and said he didn't need to see me again. He didn't even remember ordering a progesterone test for me that I still have to get done. I asked him if he wanted me to make appointment to see him to discuss the results. He said, "if you want to". I've only been using this progesterone cream since January! Hello!! Shouldn't we discuss/see whether or not it's working?! Grrrrr!! My friend at the health store warned me about him, but I figured I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. Boy, was I wrong. The last referral I got from a friend was for a gynecologist and I ended up seeing him for twelve years, wonderful doctor. Too bad he retired. My sister-in-law's friend highly recommended her doctor to me, another gynecologist. I think I'll give him a call tomorrow. I'll deal with the cholesterol issue and the nonhormonal stuff with my primary doctor. Oh, man, what a headache today has been. Thanks for listening. I don't know what I'd do without you all. :-)

Old 06-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #73
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Everyone, i'll write as soon as i can...been going through a rough time.

hugs,
    Salty

Old 06-20-2009, 05:00 AM   #74
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hello ladies I've been away for a bit visiting family and helping out my dad who has had some surgery. I've also caught some annoying throat infection and the caughing is driving me nuts. Don't need everyone looking at me like i've got swine flu!! Everybody is suspicious of swine flu the moment you so much as sneeze.

Since posting before i had another visit to the naturopath and found out the previous person i had dealt with had changed my mixture and i ended up spotting last time from mid cycle to start of my period. I found out from the original naturopath that the herbs they gave me were wrong. She said to help normalise monthly cycles and help out the hormones the herbs needed to be 'astringent'. Aparently the new batch of herbs used were not astringent. It's got something to do with the uterus, when the herbs are astringent ones they do something particular (can't recall now). At least i know now and if anybody wants to change the mixture i'll be telling them a definite NO.

My monthly cycle is upcoming again so will be interesting to see if i get overly emotional again as i have the last few cycles. If my emotionas stay more or less close to normal then i'll know that the change of herbs i was on didn't only cause a change in my cycle but in my emotional state at PMS time.

I'm still taking the Vitex tablets (Chasteberry/tree) and they are wonderful. No bloating or painful breast area at PMS time.

Val7 - you are right, balancing hormones is totally an individual thing. Are you able to post the name of the author and book you mentioned. The moderator's note in red mentions you are allowed to post those. It's always good to find good books which give helpful insight into hormones.

Kittywitty - yes, i couldn't agree more, that endo does sound like he got his endo licence out of a cereal box in 1972!!!!! How do doctors get away with that type of doctoring. I'm sure any one of us could become doctors in that case.

My doctor is however giving me meds for my T3 which is too low. Low T3 causes mood/libido/metabolism issues also. My T3 med is a natural one though, not synthetic. If you found a compounding chemist and asked which Endo's he makes up natural thyroid treatments, he ought to be able to give you at least one name of an Endo he compounds meds for and i'd be then making an appointment with that Endo.

My doctor is addressing my elevated estrogen and is keeping an eye on it, but at same time he getting my T4 and T3 on target so my thyroid is functioning properly. He's also looked at my adrenal function and Vitamin D. He says if you can elevate you Vit D, have good adrenal function and good T3 levels that this can inturn help the other hormones like your estrogen. Sometimes tackling just the estrogen is hard work and it might be worthwhile attempting a 'reverse' approach and getting other key things where they ought to be and this might help drag the estrogen back into place.

Salty - sorry to see you aren't feeling quite the thing. Are you still on same amount of testosterone cream you were taking or are you taking extra? If you are taking extra and it's still not doing anything, i'd say something has been overlooked somewhere eg: other hormone levels, thyroid/adrenal function, low in certain key vitamins/minerals.

Like kittywitty said, those other meds which have a side effect of lowering testosterone/libido/mood altering, might be worth looking into that side of things. Might also be worth doctor shopping at some point and finding someone who might be able to look at things via a different angle. Someone who can look at all your results across the board an create a link as i'm sure it's not just a case of low testosterone. I'm sure there is either something helping to keep it low or something preventing it from rising, which amounts to the same thing i guess.

Did you ever end up taking a zinc supplement? Are you still doing your exercises?

The weird thing is that you really feel so much worse at PMS and then at period time. This must mean some dramatic hormone shift is occuring and i can't help but feel it's estrogen/progesterone related. Have you ever thought of visiting a homeopath or a naturopath. I also hear Chinese medicine has helped loads of people.

Hang in there, you can't give up at this point. Answers are out there somewhere and i'm sure you will find them. Be strong and take care

Old 06-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #75
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I just have to post this and then go back soon and go over all the other posts and write more.

I am a complete mess about a week before my period, can barely function--it's sooo hard--I cry all the time, am extremely down, things are foggy, I want to be in bed...

then it gets a little easier right before my period arrives, i crave carbs (and eating more actually makes me feel better because i dont get enough calories when i'm so down)...then the first few days of my period i start to come out of the hormonal control and then i can function.

I thought the T cream was going to help with this, but it has not so far.

It's a total PMS nightmare! I am waiting for my cycle to start any day now so I can start to feel better.

Hugs to all of you and I'll write soon...oh, Audrey-B, I had no idea I couldn't take the iron with the calcium and zinc. I've been doing it like that everyday...no wonder i still feel crappy.

I am going to post quickly about it on the vit. board.

Salty

Last edited by salty; 06-22-2009 at 07:15 PM. Reason: correction

Closed Thread