It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• new here...oxycodone problem

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #16
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
    Re: new here...oxycodone problem

Hi Philly

Buddy, it was anxiety that hit you and scared the bejeesus outta you. They sure stink, don't they? In withdrawal, the brain sometimes signals a large release of adrenaline and the result is that racing heart. It can often feel like a shortness of breath also. These are the episodes of anxiety I wrote about earlier. In withdrawal, they are going to occur. We have so supressed our brains mechanisms to produce certain chemicals when we are on opiates and the brain kind of jump starts sometimes while it relearns to function. Actually, if you read your own words, you will see that in a couple of minutes you 'calmed down.' When the anxiety peaks like this, the breathing techniques can help so much. In, out, in, out, slow and steady, in and out. I hated them passionately, but understanding I wasn't going to die from them at all kept me with enough presence of mind to help myself through them.

As far as the Suboxone, Philly, I really can not advise you. Just a choice you are going to have to make. I see it as a drug that contains opiate and has properties that do not allow for a high. It provides some abusers time to get their heads on straight concerning addiction and allows them to move into sober thinking so that when they do come off, they stay off all drugs. However, every story I have read has shown me that Suboxone is no different than any other opiate to get off of concerning withdrawals. So I guess the real question to ask yourself would be, "Is my thinking really sober thinking? Am I ready to kiss opiates goodbye permanently?" For me, sober thinking came fully into play long before I took my last pill. I believe that is why I was able to remain steadfast and never cheat on my tapers.

Whatever you decide concerning Suboxone will not change one iota my support for you. I just don't want you to make any decision based on fear. Make the decision based on knowledge. Do your research, okay?

Got your back, Buddy
    reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #17
    phillybro
    (male)

phillybro HB User
    Smile Re: new here...oxycodone problem

Thank you Reach! I am truly sick of these things(pills). Maybe I tried to go a little too fast in my first couple of days but I really hate these pills. I can't wait to be in your position. Questions. How often did you get these kinds of anxiety/panic attacks? How severe? How long did they last typically?

Today I went to GNC and got some Omega3 fish oil tabs 1000mg and Magnesium 250mg. Are these any good? Any advice on taking these supps? I am also cutting down my coffee intake.

As I said, I would love to taper these pills on my own, but if I have to deal with intense panic attacks like that everyday I just can't do it. The lady Dr. that I spoke to today was very nice and giving with her time on the phone. I am voraciously reading up on suboxone so I can make a decision tomorrow, as she would like to start me on them Tuesday. One good thing the Dr. said was that she thought that I would only have to be on them to get past the first few weeks then I could taper. She also uses Clonidine and a sleeping pill.

Thanks for being here.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #18
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

Oh - did we forget to mention about the anxiety and hallucinations and brain spins??? I had to giggle a little when I read your post. Your brain and body are repairing themselves and all sorts of unexplainable things can, and will happen, as they start getting used to the lower dose of Oxy. From the first dose of opiates, your brain chemistry begins to change and personally, I don't think it ever goes back to a pre-opiate condition. I have been clean since February (with two short very short relapses early on) and I know that I'm no where near what I was before I started taking oxycodone. My emotions just never returned to their normal state. I think I'm still recovering - it seems so long ago that I was on the drug, but it was only 4 months ago. I swear it seems like years! I don't crave the drug, but I do think about it from time-to-time and there are people on this forum that have re-lapsed after long periods off of the drug.

I know reachout helped me along the way and has always has very good information. The decision is up to you when it comes to going on the suboxone. Yes, it fools your mind into thinking you are still taking the opiates, but you do not feel its effects. It is still an opiate and people have had trouble getting off of it just like getting off of oxycodone. I never did feel any euphoric effects from the oxy - it just relieved my pain, so I don't know if the suboxone would have been my choice. I did research nightly on opiates when I was going through my withdrawals and it helped me make my decisions. What I know now, I would still not choose suboxone and I actually think remember what I went through will help be not use the drug again.

You're doing great! You are on the right path and keep it up!!

Old 06-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #19
    PaulyC
    (male)

PaulyC HB User

PhillyBro...

From being in your shoes a few times in my life...I can tell you a few pros and cons of sub vs taper.

For me.... Taper was hard. And me being the addict I can be, couldn’t tough out the WD. I personally would cheat to shake some of the WD. WD for me is usually the sweats, achy bones, tired, cranky, and can’t think. I used to describe it as “Someone put a mixer in my skull and ran it on high, and now it feels like my brains are scrambled"

In reality.... it’s not far off. The receptors in your brain that have been blocked by the opiates are now like ***.....

For me..... When it came down to it...... If I wasn’t going to Cold turkey it, If I was going to take opiates for months anyways, suboxone was much safer for me....

It’s easier to dose once you find the dose for you.... This can take a few days at most but once the dose is right....you will feel right. That day. Yes, it’s almost like you aren’t addicted anymore. The Sub binds to those very confused receptors so they go ahhhhhhh

You only need to take sub once or twice a day....so, it tends to ease your mind. No more clock watching, counting the minutes, trying to find something to do for 48 more minutes.

You can't binge on Sub. There is no high. You may even think you are high when you finally feel normal for a few hours LOL. But there is no buzz, euphoria or sleepiness. Actually, I had trouble sleeping a bit cause it stays in your system a lot longer than Oxy.

Tapering. My doc didn’t even bring this up for 3 months. Step one... stabilize the Sub AND my life. For me, I had worked my way into a few bad habits and a few dozen dilemmas from 2 year run.

When it’s time to taper.... My Doc will work to whatever works for me. I can either cut 10%, every week, every 2 weeks. I can even shave off 5% every other day so my body doesn’t really notice the reduction. Remember that Sub has a long shelf life, so even a reduction by 10% I usually won’t feel till the 2nd or 3rd day. The WD on a heavy taper from Sub is no different my friend. This is simply the same drug, in a safer, non high version. Also: Sub doesn’t work for pain as well, but does work. It is still an Opiate.

At 120 MG a day, I would look into Sub bro. Usually, they want you to be in Moderate WD the day they start you on Sub. If not, you will go into WD.

I have read my share of forums and books on addiction, opiates and Suboxone. I could go into details that might be too much. It worked for me but so did NA. Tapering off without looking into the core of " Why did I like this drug so much...Why didn’t I stop? " may just bring you back to the same Suboxone Doctor someday... even though many of have said" I’ll NEVER take that again".... Rigghhtttttt

Keep in touch...Please. I've been in your shoes..... Having friends through this is HUGE..

Pauly C

NOTE " Denons" I would still not choose suboxone and I actually think remember what I went through will help be not use the drug again.

That thinking is quite common and holds a lot of weight when it comes to remembering how nasty these drugs can be. No Pain; No Gain . . . . Its why I STRESSED that without a fellowship of addicts, suboxone was not enough for me to stay away from this and other drugs.

Last edited by PaulyC; 06-04-2009 at 06:45 PM.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #20
    kewood
    (female)

kewood HB User

Hi Philly,
    I'm going to tell you a little something different. I am on day 12 of 16mg of suboxone after a 2 year relapse of hydrocodone 150-180mg a day. The first time I went to treatment and detox, they detoxed me off of the opiates and Ativan (taken for 6 years daily for panic attacks...yeah, my shrink never told me it was a drug to use short term) IN 5 days. Yes, it was a nightmare, yes I thought I was going to die and yes, my anxiety was through the roof! Did I make it through? Yes but I didn't feel like some big hero for making it through 5 days then staying in inpatient for another 25 days. In fact, after telling myself I'd NEVER allow myself to get to that place again where I would have to go through the withdrawls like that and I really meant it, 6 months later I relapsed. This one was short lived as I got caught by the pharmacy & cops forging an rx for hydro. I stayed clean for 2 years then in July '07 I started up again with the hydro, just to stop 12 days ago and get on the suboxone. I realize that it is a controversial drug. I am so grateful for it, I came in in mild withdrawls and left feeling great, like a new person. People even say I look different! Frankly, It doesn't matter to me how you stop using, I just know that I had a choice this time to go through the hell of withdrawls and try to scratch my way up to barely living again and probably relapsing, OR try the suboxone, have NO cravings to worry about, and still continue to function as a mom, a worker, and not be so freaked out about finding a place to go to for recovery. This time is SO much easier. I can't think about the future. Maybe I'll stay on it a short while, maybe for a year, maybe for forever, I have no idea today but I can't worry about that now.
    I've also done tons of research on sub and many people said their w/d's from sub were very mild a few even said they had NO withdrawls from the sub. Others said they were terrible. You never know how it's going to be. If you want to white knuckle it through your w/d's then through all of the cravings go for it.
    If you want an easier way on your mind & body, try the suboxone. If you don't like it, you can get off of it. I'm just saying that for me, personally, it's been a godsend and still allows me to function like a normal person. After in-patient treatment for 30 days, I remained in a state of utter, mind-numbing panic and was suicidal for about the next 8months to a year. I will NOT go back to that nightmare.
    Like everyone says....do your homework, go with what you believe in your heart is right for you. Don't let anyone pressure you either way, this is your decision, your body, your mind, your addiction and ultimately, your healing. Take care, Philly,

Kewood

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-04-2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: removed profession

Old 06-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #21
    phillybro
    (male)

phillybro HB User

Thanks denon, PaulyC and kewood. I'm seriously weighing everything. I still have some questions. What side effects or drawbacks are there to sub. I've read that some have to deal with major headaches and depression. Some have reported that they are falling asleep every 5 mins. Some talk about trying to adjust for weeks. How about anxiety/panic attacks? Any truth to any of these claims for you. I mean I know everyone is different, but what about your personal experiences. I run my own business so right now I can deal very well...well you know what I mean (besides being an addict). The Dr. I talked to said that she also uses Clonidine and a sleeping pill if necessary. Did you all need any of these peripheral meds to help supplement the sub? Did you suffer any bad symptoms in the beginning or while on sub?

Anxiously waiting for your thoughts...and thank you soooo much.

Phillybro

Old 06-05-2009, 10:10 AM   #22
    PaulyC
    (male)

PaulyC HB User

Sitting here at work with my first Domino's Pasta Bowl.... Talk about addiction!

Anyway.
    I think it is a very fine line when people describe "Problems" with Suboxone. How is to know that the side effect is from the Suboxone...and not from lack of Opiates? Does that make sense? The body does NOT LIKE a change in Opiate levels. Many people have different WD symptoms. I do get head aches when I cut back on Opiates... And that does change whether it’s a cut on perc...or sub. For the most part... you are dealing with the same "BASE" drug. An Opiate. The Naltrexone in Suboxone is a bit tricky. It can give me the sweats a bit. But it's there to keep people from binging or using the Suboxone to get high.
    The "Falling asleep" aka nodding off. I have gotten that...but again. Is it a side effect of Suboxone OR a side effect of the body adapting to a new Opiate level?

Depression... I dont know. I do know that depression is quite common after stopping Opiates ( during the taper process and when done ) It can take the brain quite some time to return to normal. Dopamine levels may be lower, receptors being week, technical jumbo . .. There are quite a few stories of people taking Suboxone for long perios of time, having no emotions. Not exactly depressed, but just blah. As much as it can numb out pain, it numbs out feeling too.

From what I recall the only side effect of Suboxone, where the same as those of Percocet.

Something to think about... How you feeling? If your body is catching up to the cut back from 2 days ago..... Maybe give it a few days. I don’t want you to feel like I push Suboxone, but I have taken it... And tapered off to 4 mg a day from 18 mg

PaulyC

Last edited by PaulyC; 06-05-2009 at 10:15 AM.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #23
    phillybro
    (male)

phillybro HB User

Thanks Pauly...I guess my question is did you need any other meds while on sub to supplement? How bad were your side effects? The nodding, etc. Did you gain weight? Problems with lethargy? Also, how long were you on it before you started to taper? Any problems with tapering slowly?

Thanks

Old 06-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #24
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

Philly - I can't talk about Sub, because I never took it. During my withdrawals, I used Valium for a few days which really helped during the hard parts and a sleeping pill (Ambien) for the insomnia.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #25
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

Oh... I tried to blame my weight gain on the meds or not taking them, but my doctor just said I was lazy and needed to get exercise.. :-( darn!

Old 06-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #26
    phillybro
    (male)

phillybro HB User

Well it's been a few days and I've been tapering down from 120mg/day oxy and it's a sloooow process. I really just want this over! Anyway, I've made a decision and I contacted the sub Dr. that I spoke about and I set an appt. up for Tuesday at 630pm. I will take my last dose around 6am and try to get through the day. I am nervous and excited. She explained to me that everything is confidential and that she will prescribe other meds if I need them. Any thoughts on what to expect the first day/week of this would be great! I can't express how much I appreciate everyone's thoughts and support.

Thanks,

Phillybro

Old 06-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #27
    phillybro
    (male)

phillybro HB User

Well last nite at 630pm I had my first appt. with the Dr. for my suboxone induction. I took my last dose of 30mg oxycodone IR at 1am. So I had waited 17 hrs. to withdrawal. I had a bit of a hard time during the day with anxiety and restless legs and arms but I made it. My withdrawal had actually subsided quite a bit when I got to the Dr. office and I started my first dose of sub (4mg) at 7pm. For the first hour or so I felt absolutely no change and I was very worried. What if I'm the exception and this doesn't work???! I was released from the Drs office with instructions to take another 4mg around 830pm. She also gave me some clonidine and trazodone if I needed them for sleep. So I took my second dose at 830pm and in 20 mins I was feeling fine. Pretty good actually. Relief! As the nite went on I felt better and better. I was SHOCKED at how good I felt. Not high...just good. Last nite I slept very well on 8mg of sub and nothing else. I woke up around 8am and took my first full 8mg pill. Today I am feeling quite normal and very happy to not have to worry about taking oxy. I told my Dr. that I want to take sub very conservatively and try to wean off asap. She said she is willing to help me do this and if I have any problems we can slow it down. I am to take 12mg on days 2 and 3, 10mg on days 4 and 5 and 8mg on days 6 and 7. My next appt. is Wed 6/17.

I am so thankful to all on this site who supported and encouraged me...reach, denon, kewood, PaulyC. Thank you all so much. This is my first BIG step in breaking free of the prison of addiction. Next I will go to an AA/NA meeting. I am on my way!

If anyone has any questions or further thoughts or suggestions for me...I'm ALL ears.

God bless...

Old 06-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #28
    tryinghardmom
    (female)

tryinghardmom HB User

Excellent to hear that it's going well! I hadn't been on the boards in a long time and popped in the other night and posted some of my story on Readeroz's post. I started Sub about a year and a half and am in no real hurry to get off. I was probably taking somewhere around 30 hydrocodone/day (if I had it) and oxys if that was avlb also. I tried over and over and over to quit on my own and know that I'd still be in that cycle if I hadn't started sub. It is absolutely a dead end road, as you know. I know in one of your posts, you mention having a hard time dealing with the shame of it all....but I think you'll see that the farther you are out of that mindset...the obsessing over pills and then feeling awful about it....the better that gets. You kind of feel like your old self again, right? And probably couldn't even remember what that felt like?

Best of luck to you and you'll find that there are others in your path that you'll be able to give some hope to.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #29
    (male)

56789 HB User
    Smile Re: new here...oxycodone problem

hi bro glad to hear things went well ,my friend s md said he would need to be on ,it for atleast 6 months or a year, the biggest part is mental . an this med is designed to help you with this , the relapse stats are lower for people that stay on it longer to give your mind time to change its way of thinking ,he did H for 10 years so his md said mabey a year, it makes sence to me, as this is just1 of the tools you will use in recovery ,good luck to you scottkeep up the good work, an dont worry about what others think , you are there for you, an its the ony selfish part of recovery

Last edited by 56789; 06-10-2009 at 09:01 PM.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #30
    phillybro
    (male)

phillybro HB User

It's been 6 days since my first sub appt. and I'm doing pretty good. The second day I was on 16mg and I've tapered down to 8/day on day 6. My next appt. is Wednesday and I guess I will discuss how long I will be on sub. So far it has been a lifesaver. I do not even think about oxy and I've been feeling pretty normal. I used half of a .1mg clonidine last nite to sleep and that worked very well. I have very mild anxiety due to all this being so new to me. I will check in again after my Dr. appt. on Wednesday.

Thanks,

Phillybro

Closed Thread