It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board

• leaving kids in car for 1 minute,, is it illegal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2003, 09:42 PM   #16
    wattagirl
    Veteran

wattagirl HB User
    my dh pulled up to a gas station and left my 2 yr old daughter in the car while he ran in and paid-he was right by the door ,could see her,and we also live in a small town-my problem with this is the what if's-what if someone were to jump in the vehicle and drive off-it could happen-i never leave them-it is twice the work but worth my peace of mind-see i would never forgive myself if one of the what-ifs happened

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2003, 05:32 AM   #17
    Eeyore II
    Inactive

Eeyore II HB User
    Wow my children are 1 and 7 and on occasion I will run and pay for gas while they are right outside the door as long as there is no waiting line ect.
    I dont believe that makes me a bad mother its not like Im off for an hour at a time or anything.

if your oldest is 10 thats old enough to know NOT to open the door for a stranger ect.

Old 07-14-2003, 06:52 PM   #18
    SlyGirl67

SlyGirl67 HB User
    On my base, the kids have to be 10 years old to be left alone in the car.

Old 07-17-2003, 10:35 AM   #19
    camden
    Veteran

camden HB User
    I too, am guilty of leaving my kids in the car for short periods. I often leave the kids in the car if I will only be gone a minute and if they will be in my view because sometimes it takes less time to run in and out than it does to get them out of their seats and back in again.

I would never leave them alone in a city center(I am from a VERY small town, but I do most of my business one town over and it's population is only about 2000.

I don't have air conditioning so I usually roll down all windows and take the keys with me. I can tell you that when both my husband and I are there one of us will run into a store and the rest of us stay in the car and it isn't any cooler with me sitting there!

Old 07-17-2003, 03:48 PM   #20
    kblou

kblou HB User
    I have an 11-year-old stepson and a 2-year-old daughter. Often when I am just going in to pay for gas or running into the store to buy a loaf of bread, I will leave them both in the car (especially if my daughter is napping). I have 2 car keys on my keychain, so I take one, and leave the car running with the A/C or heat on (depending on the season) and make sure I'm not more than 2 minutes. If it's longer than that (lines, etc.), I'll put my item back, and go get the kids. BUT, each time, before I even open my door, I "do the drill" with my stepson--"Remember, if anyone tries to get it or bust a window or ANYTHING, LAY ON THE HORN AND DON'T LET OFF!" Then, I have him repeat the drill to me. Since he sits in the backseat, I have him take off his seatbelt for the duration of time I'm in the store so that he can quickly lean over the front seat to the horn if anyone comes out. Now that I know that it is illegal in some states, though, I need to call our police station and see what the regs are for here, because that would be all I need is for his mother to have some sort of ammo against us (even though she's left him in her car in the SUMMERS in LOUISIANA for a whole grocery-shopping session in a car with NO AIR CONDITIONING!)

Old 07-17-2003, 06:54 PM   #21
    yoga1st

yoga1st HB User
    i will never leave the car running with the kids in it , i leave the windows cracked and i take the keys with me, i had a daycare kid whose mom always left her car running in my driveway while she picked her kids up and one time the two yr old popped it into drive and bashed into my car at least 4 times i was terrified since i just told my then 4 yr old to go get in the car what it he had been inbetween the cars!!! oh my god!! that was so scary so i don't even allow running cars in my driveway if theres kids in the yard
    and i always pay for gas at the pump we have an ampm that came into town i think 2 yrs ago and i have never even been in the store!!! but as for leaving my kids at the small convienince sp? store by my house and to get yelled at like that, i am just glad to know i am not the only one that leaves their kids in for just a minute ,, it would take me ten just to get them all in and out of the car!! not to mention all the whining in the store of i wants ,,,

Old 07-19-2003, 08:16 PM   #22
    jboon
    (female)

jboon HB User
    My kids are 13 and 11, and I will leave them in the car while I run into a store to get something. If it's not hot, I lock the car and take the keys with me. I also always leave my cell phone with them. If it is hot, I'll pull up to the front of the store and leave the car running with the A/C and the doors locked. When they were younger and still in car seats, I, like others, would lock the doors and only run into a store--usually a convenience store or gas station--if I could see the car. I don't know if Maryland has any laws about leaving children in a car, but I do know that to be left alone in a house, a child must be 8 years old. In order for an older sibling to be in charge of a younger sibling, the older child must be 12 or 13, I can't remember which. Legal babysitting age in Maryland is 13. I'm not sure how it works if you have two kids who are older than 8 but younger than 12 or 13.

Closed Thread