It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• strange symptoms with sinusitis?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
    CANEY GIRL
    (female)

CANEY GIRL HB User
    Question strange symptoms with sinusitis?

i went to an ent last week and he said the derealization and depersonalization i am feeling is due to my sinus and ears. all this time i was told it was anxiety. i had to have a ct scan of my sinuses and some other test. the only thing that still bothers me is i feel like my thoughts are outside my head. i feel like i'm in a dream and i cant think very well, and when i try to fall asleep i have all this weird vivid thoughts. its like i'm thinking but its not me. its hard to describe. has anyone on here with chronic ear,sinus or allergies felt this way? i also have constant pressure in my forehead and eyes.

Last edited by CANEY GIRL; 04-26-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
    estellebrown
    (female)

estellebrown HB User
    Re: strange symptoms with sinusitis?

yeah, I actually just wrote a post about this! I have sinus pressure on my right side and have had it for years...just recently I have started to feel 'off', not really dizzy, not really lightheaded, but imbalanced and like I can't focus on conversation, it seems too overwhelming to me...I feel like it is dissociation type
    feelings and have had a hx of anxiety, but this feels different, I have an ENT appt. but not until september!! He actaully said it was due to sinus issues? did he say why and how common it is for others?...can you describe what is going on for you a bit more? Have you tried anything that helps? Is it constant or does it come and go?

thanks

EB

Last edited by estellebrown; 04-27-2009 at 03:00 PM.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
    CANEY GIRL
    (female)

CANEY GIRL HB User

Sometimes it worse than other times. I feel spacey like i'm in a dream or dejavu or something. I hate it sometimes things look to real and close up , sometimes i feel very strange myself and i can't think real good almost like i'm just goin through the motions. have you had similar symptoms? sometimes i feel like i'm going crazy (i know that sounds extreme) i just want to feel like my old self again.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
    estellebrown
    (female)

estellebrown HB User

but the dr. said that that was a 'normal' symptoms of people
    with sinus and ear issues?? did he/she explain how common that is?

It comes and goes for me. Sometimes I have a hard time focusing mentally on
    something. I walk around and things feel surreal, kinda like a dream...I wonder sometimes if it is my sinus and ears or if it is underlying anxiety that I might not even be aware of...

Do you think that you are stressed out at all? Do you think that the pressure or pain in your sinuses could be causing this? Did you ever have it before sinus issues??

EB

Old 05-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
    ginkgolucas
    (male)

ginkgolucas HB User

i had/have recurring sinusitis and know that feeling. i might have had it even a touch more intensely in that every once in a while i would get that out of my head sensation and particularly if talking to someone, wasn't sure who they or i was. not a dramatic thing but would drift from self-awareness and get a bit freaked about who was in that moment. read somewhere the name from this but can't find it now. are you going to get the endoscopic surgery? or maybe the balloon sinuplasty? make sure the ent considers both if you're going to get surgery. get balloon first if you're right for it. less invasive, no bone cutting etc. good luck

Old 05-18-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
    Ripley39
    (female)

Ripley39 HB User
    Question Re: strange symptoms with sinusitis?

Reading the posts of the two of you has finally given me some insight to the fact that this is not all "in my head"! I have been dealing with sinus / allergy issues for the better part of 4 years now. I am nearing 40 and my family (maternal) has a history of allergy related sinus problems.

Right now, the primary issue I am having is of general sinus pain in the frontal lobe, ears, and eyes, the pain in the neck shoulders and joints, and lack of energy, fatigue, tiredness.

I have found that when the sinus season really strikes and the weather is damp or raining, the pain is not only in my frontal lobe, but almost as if it's behind my eyes. I find that I am not focusing as I used to, am forgetful of details in conversations had with family members, unable to focus on what someone is saying and miss the majority of their statements although I am looking right at them.

I have found that during the time these damp high sinus pain/ pressure/ headache, sore throat (drainage), sneezing, coughing, and serious ear "popping" periods are occurring, I also feel pain in my neck that spreads into my upper shoulders, finger & wrist joints, knees, and lower back. This "ache" I describe as like those body aches that you get when you have a bad cold or flu like illness.

In addition to this overall "just feel poorly" period noted above, no matter how much sleep I get, I wake up and feel like I am still tired. Or I am ready for a nap in the middle of the afternoon (weekends) I think nothing of putting in 10-12 hour days at work, starting as early as 4:30am. However, now, it's all I can do to get up in time to be there by 8am.

Needless to say this on again off again "lethargy" has left me with added weight, 20 pounds in 4 years, that I have allowed to creep on me during these periods of fatigue.

I am treating these symptoms with OTC severe sinus medication, claritan, etc, and on occassion, believed that I also had a sinus infection that sent me to my physican (GP) (sometimes it was an infection) that on at least 3 occasions that I was told there was no infection.

The pain in the body is real. The tiredness and fatigue is real. The pain in the ears, eyes, and throat is real. It is not anxiety (as was also suggested to me). Has anyone else had any ENT / sinus/ allergy issues that manifests into muscle aches in addition to the the above noted symptoms you and I have described??

Thanks!

Old 06-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
    shfer
    (male)

shfer HB User

Ohhh yes, I really can relate to this.
    I feel like I am going crazy and it gives me more stress and panics and severe anxiety and makes me feel like a zombie, its absolutely horrendous.
    I feel dizzy a lot, headaches,sometimes are exruciating, my head feels like it wants to explode. Fatigue sooo bad,extreme fatigue sometimes that i can hardly move out of bed and I feel like im gonna pass out!
    Is evenings better for u?
    For me evenings are very nice usually love them. I have almost no symptoms, no idea why.

I got tested for allergies and im waiting results, there is something very wrong here, there is some bad issue. Because drs usually blame it all on anxiety. well no its not, becsuse sometimes I am very calm but as soon as I get out of bed I feel extremely dizzy.

I also did CT scan which showed swollen sinus membranes and I possibly have inner ear problems too, I am just not naive and dont get the **** thats its all in my head because it isnt and I know it!!!

Im flying to Kosovo (where i come from,living in norway right now) and Will go and see every single doctor there is out there and I will hopefully find some answers, Im prepeared to go under surgery as well , just if I knew i would fix the issues...

Ohh and I forgot to say the spaciness feeling, oh god yea, its so scary!!!!

Good luck everyone and I hope we all figure out what the hell is going on here. I am 99% sure its some kind of intolerance/allergie/sinus/ear problem.

cheers

Old 07-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I have the same thing as all of you. The allergies, the spacey feeling, dizziness, ear ringing at times...chronic sinus infections and all this gives me anxiety. And I do get over welmingly tired too at times. I have dealt with this for YEARS!! Just wanted to share that I have the same symptoms. Hang in there friends!

Old 07-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #9
    hmmwhatisthis
    (female)

hmmwhatisthis HB User

Hi,
    I just had a visit with my doctor because I have had a weird smell/taste for weeks now along with other crazy feelings, dizziness, aching like I have the flu etc. I had been to the ER twice since May because of dizziness and this aching pain in my back and legs, had a Lumbar Spine MRI to rule out a pinched nerve and because that was negative, left to further wonder what in the heck is going on. Well after today's appointment my doctor thinks I have something sinus related going on. 3 weeks ago I was placed on antibiotics for a kidney infection "just in case" that's where my back pain was coming from, so in today's visit the dr. decided that because of the antibiotic I just finished if it were a "typical sinus infection" the antibiotic would have cleared it up, so she's starting me on prednisone to see if it helps. The thing that surprised me was that she said she had heard of a patient with strange seemingly unrelated symptoms that ended up all being caused by an infection of the sphenoid sinuses. She is sending me to an ENT for follow up next week to see if this could be the cause of all of my aching pains, inability to sleep, strange smell/taste sensation and dizziness...I will keep you posted, because like you I know I am not crazy and there has to be some connection here....

Old 08-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
    rajk
    (male)

rajk HB User

Ripley: Your symptoms are identical to mine and I have no solution. My doc says it is a sinus infection but antibiotics did not help. I get the smell in my nose, feel stuffed and am so fatigued, it is unbelievable. PLEASE tell me if you have found any solution or what you are doing about this that might be helping? I am so desperate, so any help would be so much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #11
    shfer
    (male)

shfer HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rajk View Post
    Ripley: Your symptoms are identical to mine and I have no solution. My doc says it is a sinus infection but antibiotics did not help. I get the smell in my nose, feel stuffed and am so fatigued, it is unbelievable. PLEASE tell me if you have found any solution or what you are doing about this that might be helping? I am so desperate, so any help would be so much appreciated. Thanks.
    YES! is the answer I am well and living a normal life.

Here is what I did.
    Went for a detailed CT scan of brain and sinuses. It showed my brain was clear but I had a huge polyp which covered 98% of my sinus maxillaris the frontal one, my septum was slightly deviated and one side of the nose was not breathing 100%. I operated with extreme ease. Full anestetic. I wouldnt even call it an operation. Just not sleeping at night for 3-4 days cus of the bandages is the hard part , everything else was very easy.

Here is the funny part.

I do not think Sinusitis can cause fatigue to that extent , eventhough it helps it. So what I did is I went to the best psychiatrist there is in this country.
    And he did find my solution. Apperently I have GAD which got triggered by moving to Norway and I didnt like the place, it was boring and causing me stress.
    So what I believe is 80% is due do anxiety no doubt about it.

I tried before the operation too, using anti anxiety meds and I got energy back almost in instant. I was not fatigued..

The dr prescribed me 10 mg of Demetrin( which is a benzo for anxiety) daily this one for 6 weeks , I am almost done with this along with an SSRI fluoxetine. For these 5-6 weeks I am on this therapy I have experienced maybe 2 hours of not feeling great. Every othertime I am as normal as normal can be. and it feels great.

I get up at 6 in the morning, its incredible.
    Think carefully, do all the blood tests there is, cost me a hell to do them but I did everything there was. All detailed about 60 parametres and all was clear then visit a psychiatrist , and do think deep deep down if u have an issue which is causing u anxiety, it can be fixed, thats why there are the meds.

Take care and good luck

SF

Old 08-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
    rajk
    (male)

rajk HB User

Shfer, Thank You for your quick response. I really appreciate it. I am going to pay heed to your suggestions and find out if anxiety is the cause to my fatigue? I don't know. As far as sinuses are concerned, I will go to my doc and get the tests that you have directed me. I am really desperate. But one note, when I had gone to my doc for the cause of my fatigue, he had mentioned I could be bored and depressed, so perhaps you have something there.

Once again, thanks so much. If there is anything else you find out please let me know.

Take care.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #13
    I love dance
    (female)

I love dance HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CANEY GIRL View Post
    i went to an ent last week and he said the derealization and depersonalization i am feeling is due to my sinus and ears. all this time i was told it was anxiety. i had to have a ct scan of my sinuses and some other test. the only thing that still bothers me is i feel like my thoughts are outside my head. i feel like i'm in a dream and i cant think very well, and when i try to fall asleep i have all this weird vivid thoughts. its like i'm thinking but its not me. its hard to describe. has anyone on here with chronic ear,sinus or allergies felt this way? i also have constant pressure in my forehead and eyes.
    I know this is kind of an old post now, but I'm having a lot of these symptoms. I was wondering if you got better and if these symptoms went away. Also what you did to treat them (antibiotics.. etc) and how long it took to get better. I'd really appreciate any response.

Closed Thread