It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board

• Too old to shower together

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-26-2003, 07:55 AM   #31
    Cheryl3

Cheryl3 HB User
    never mind!

[This message has been edited by Cheryl3 (edited 04-10-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2003, 11:12 AM   #32
    mushroom1

mushroom1 HB User
    My mother still sees me naked on occasion (when she visits) and I am 40 years old...she watched me deliver my first two children.

Old 01-26-2003, 11:34 AM   #33
    LookingForHealth
    Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
    Well past a certain childhood age I think it would be disturbing if I had seen the crotch of my parents especially dad since I am f. My family sometimes sees my *** cheeks but nothing else. I think that everyone I know would agree with that. If you have a 10 year old and you still leave the bathroom unlocked, well I've never heard of it...of course seeing them naked would be different but if a young teen sees their parents crotch (esp a dad), breasts it is very awkward and just isn't comfortable. This all reminds me of this woman on Dr Phil who was justifying breastfeeding her 8 year old. I said to myself why don't you just keep doing it until high school or college?

Old 01-26-2003, 12:35 PM   #34
    Cheryl3

Cheryl3 HB User
    Never mind again

Old 01-26-2003, 01:19 PM   #35
    bruised

bruised HB User
    lookingforhealth...I saw that Dr.Phil episode too!I thought she had rocks in her head!!Something in her brain is not normal.8yrs old and still breastfeeding because she felt like she was neglecting her child/ren from the nutrients she thought she could provide.Give me a break!I was very disturbed by that and that her kids didn't know better then to do that.That's pshycological problems for the kids.But as for the mom,she doesn't know, I guess what she's doing mentally.That's a topic all in itself!LOL

Old 01-26-2003, 04:41 PM   #36
    LookingForHealth
    Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
    I haven't birthed any kids but I take care of 2 every single day, and I work at a childcare. I'm not some random person who works at a bakery and has never been around a kid.
    4 years old is not 10 or 11 years old. No one is saying 4 years old is too old. We are talking about middle school. The 1 and 3 year old girls I nanny for are like my own...if I have to go to the bathroom or take a shower the door is open and the 1 year old doesn't care obviously doesn't even know, and I don't let the 3 year old see much. She has a big mouth at that age. The only difference is that if she were mine, I would not care about her seeing me because we would be related and she is still awfully young and theres no other 'mom' she can report to.
    I think people are confusing 1. older kids shouldn't see their parents naked to 2. younger kids being unsupervised while mom is alone in shower.

Old 01-26-2003, 05:23 PM   #37
    Cheryl3

Cheryl3 HB User
    nt

Old 01-26-2003, 06:23 PM   #38
    rainflower

rainflower HB User
    Wow...lots of opinions on this topic, which I think is a good thing. Of course lots of different issues also being roped together and treated as the same issue.
    I dont think breastfeeding an 8 year old can logically be compared to showering with a 10 year old, two totally separate things.
    The biggest thing here is not only offering insight on what happens in their households-or what is acceptable in their eyes, but taking those opinions and saying that their opinions is Gods truth for everyone.
    My ten year old is different then anyone elses 10 year old, and as long as I am sensitive to his boundaries and his feelings- then no one should say I am wrong for what works in our family.
    Maybe it seems I am saying this because I am on the side which most people are against but truly it doesnt matter which "side" anyone is on. I only offered my experience and opinion to the father who started this thread for him to consider to see if it offered any insight not to make him agree with me or tell him he is doing wrong things.
    I realize that these days in our society we have to be careful because there are people who will harm children at the bat of an eye and not even pause..but thats not the case in my household. Frankly I am a little turned off by my experience here. I feel everyone is not only giving their opinions to share but to judge. I try so hard not to judge others, who am I to do this? Every life situation is different, please remember that. Judging is so petty and really it only keeps us from being better people ourselves..me included.
    take care.

Old 01-26-2003, 11:38 PM   #39
    LookingForHealth
    Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
    I honestly think people on these boards only start to judge when they see a post that has "crossed the line" in their eyes. Each 10 year old is different, but people are 'picturing' things here. They are picturing a mom and her 10 year old son (all of us think of a different kid) and think it is just plain weird. It's hard to explain, but from what I am picturing it's odd. It's not sexual abuse, it's not scarring them for life, it's just weird. In my eyes a 10 year old is usually starting to develop, is perfectly capable of showering himself and should want to do it alone. The 'seeing the mom naked while putting on a robe' is not unusual. The showering together is just odd for many reasons. Is it normal to do that with your mom when you're in middle or high school? No...so what makes someone think it will just one day stop--esp if both parties do not want to stop.

Old 02-14-2003, 07:15 AM   #40
    Starbuk498
    (female)

Starbuk498 HB User
    Hey mushroom

And it would be perfectly normal for your father to see you naked at 40? come on what is wrong with you.....you don't see the problem with a 10 year old boy showering with his mother? How about a 10 year old girl showering with her father???

That is just sick, sick, sick.

My god.......kids are maturing at such a younger age today.........going through puberty at such a younger age today.....what is wrong with you????

P.S. I see a lot of your postings on the pregnancy board too.......you seem to cause a lot of controversy with your advice.....which a lot of people find very disturbing.....

Stefanie -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-14-2003, 01:54 PM   #41
    LookingForHealth
    Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
    I agree that it is sick for a 10 year old girl to shower with her father. If the father can't see that, there's something horribly wrong. The mother and 10 year old son is bad too!

Maybe my dad saw me briefly naked at that age but never did we scrub a dub together at that age. Not with mom either.

I'm a girl.

Old 02-23-2003, 06:55 PM   #42
    FrJackHackett
    (male)

FrJackHackett HB User

These different viewpoints are interesting. My parents and I always saw one another about the house naked without thinking anything much of it - I lived at home till I was thirty-three. Showers were always private though as I recall. Once I was taught how to wash properly when very young I was left to get on with it. I certainly wouldn't have been comfortable showering with my mother when I was ten. It's much the same as little kids getting into their parents beds in the morning. As soon as I became sexually aware, at about nine or ten, I didn't fancy doing it any more. In other cultures, e.g. the Philippines, (my wife is a Filipina) entirely different habits prevail and parents sleep with children in ways which seem quite bizarre to me. But hey, most of them seem to grow up into well balanced adults.

Old 02-24-2003, 04:45 PM   #43
    LookingForHealth
    Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
    33?!

Old 02-24-2003, 06:14 PM   #44
    FrJackHackett
    (male)

FrJackHackett HB User

Yes. I got on very well with my parents and saw little sense in living anywhere else. The house was pretty big and I lived more or less independently. I married at thirty-three and my wife and I bought a place of our own. It is interesting that you find that peculiar.

Old 02-24-2003, 10:06 PM   #45
    LookingForHealth
    Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
    Here in Southern California, children, especially males, are out of the house when college starts...the latest they would stay is when college ends. It's very healthy and normal to take responsibility of your life at age 18 and leave the house by about age 21. Today on Dr. Phil he was strongly against 2 brothers in their late 20's who still lived at home. No one is making fun of someone who stays much longer than others do, they (on the show) just classify it as a 'lazy' 'buying time' 'mommas boy' 'childish' guy. That's what they said on the show today.

Closed Thread