It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board

• 17 year old girl needs help dealing with extremly strict parents

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2003, 11:24 PM   #1
    Browny

Browny HB User
    Exclamation 17 year old girl needs help dealing with extremly strict parents

I am a 17 year old girl that is being brought up in a fijian household. I am the only child. I guess for that reason my parents are being too strict.and when i mean strict you don't even understand what i mean by strict. you see in my house I hadn't been allowed to go out with my friends til I was 15! I was pretty popular in my school even though I had the most boring life of all my friends. Even when I was 15 my parents had to drop me off to where i was going talk to the person in charge and then stick around for like 1hour to make sure that i wasn't with any boys. and even when they left, they would still call my cell and leave messages every 5 minutes. They had to a background check on all my friends before i could actually like talk to them outside of school and go to the mall or movies. so finally when i turned 17 things started to get a little better i had a little bit more freedom because I had a friend who was very trusting and sweet and she had won the hearts of my parents and whole family. so we would go out and still my parents would call my cell and her cell every 10mins. so one day me and my friend went to the mall and i meet this guy that i used to know, our friendship was lost because he asked me out and i having no other answer said no even though i really wanted to go out with him. but thanks to my parents i had lost yet another friend. so we see him there and we begin to talk, we kept talking until the mall was going to close. so he offerd us a ride home. so we kindly accepted and he started to drive home. on the way there we were listening to a CD he just bought so it was really crankted up and i couldn't hear my phone ring my friend couldn't hear it either.so I got home at like 11:30 and he went to drop off my friend. as soon as i stepped in to the house all i heard was ohh this girl has disgraced our family ,going out late at night and not even calling to say where they are and why didn't you answer your phone? I tried to tell her the story but i couldn't tell her the part where we got a ride home with a guy!! so i said that the skytrain got stuck. My parents being all "oh no your lying you were off with a boy drinking and doing it." so i just gave up and started to head towards my room, when all of a sudden my mom grab's my arm and swings me around and starts to hit me for me it wasn't a big deal cause they always hit me with spoons, hangers, shoes, sticks, belts, hair brushes,etc you get the picture. but today she grabed the metal Knife sharpener and wacks me across the back i scream and she throws me to the ground and slaps my face and this continued for a while and then finally my dad came back in the room and grabed my mom and slapped her across the face and told her if she continued any longer the people in our building would call the cops and then she would disgrace our familiy name. after that day, i wasn't allowed to hang out with my friends out side of school and my dad would now pick me up from school as soon as the bell rang and if I was 5 minutes late they would assume that i was skipping or talking to boys or something bad in their eyes. my parents went as far as telling all my teachers that i wasn't allowed to work in groups that had more than one boy. and that i wasn't allowed to miss any classes for if i did that they should call my house. slowly i began to loose all my friends and now i am left with only 2 true friends you know that new best friend i had found she even left me. so i began to accept that i wasn't good enough for anyone and later got depression and almost committed suicide a few times but i couldn't because i love my family too much my whole family thinks that my parents are being too hard on me but do my parents listen? NO! i understand that i am an only child and i am from a Indian family but i haven't meet another kids parents that are this strict! oh did i forget to tell you that my parents listen to all my conversations on the phone? i am a prisoner in my own home tell me what is girl to do? i am a senior this is the year where i get to go out with friends and party and hangout so we have something to talk about when we leave and when we think of memories of highschool. but thanks to them i don't have any good memories to remember just of how horrible they were to me. i can never treat my kids like that. what am i to do??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2003, 04:41 AM   #2
    Want 2 B Well
    Senior Veteran

Want 2 B Well HB User
    Since you are stuck there I recommend that you move into more of adult thinking. Focus totally on your plans for after graduation, college & job. Sounds like you are going to need it. How are your grades now? Have you started applying to colleges?

Get a job now, if possible and start saving up money to move out.

I would like to say something witty and helpful about how to get out of your parents grasp but I am old enough to know that people like that usually do not change and your best bet is to make a plan on how to move out. Focus on that goal.

Quit smoking June 3 2003
    Will be 39 in Feb.
    Scared to turn 40

I am a work in progress...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-20-2003, 03:16 PM   #3
    TerryB
    Veteran
    (female)

TerryB HB User
    The slapping seems way over-board. I have to agree with the last poster. You need to make a plan for self-sufficiency. If would be great if you could get away from them and still meet your personal goals. If you want to go to college, find a way to do that. So, look at the big picture and put up with the strict rules for the short term. I'm assuming though that the physical abuse only occurs when you break the family rules. Naturally, you can't just sit back and take physical abuse that comes unpredictably or for sport etc...

I would think family counceling would be great for your family. I'm not sure if your parents would go for it though. Sometimes a religious leader can act as a councilor if there is someone you think that you can trust. Strict parenting can sometimes protect a person from things that you only realize after you have kids of your own but the physical abuse that you describe is uncivilized. You've got to convince yourself that you are not deserving of such treatment. I wouldn't even treat a pet or farm animal like that.

Your parents probably do really love you and mean well but seem to be misguided. I consider myself a strict parent but I have never hit my kids. My parents were leanient and I had several real close calls where I could have been raped or kid-napped. Now I don't want my kids to have those experiences. Will they end up so sheltered that they end up being too lenient with their kids? Who knows. Your parents know that most young guys are after only one thing because that is nature. They also know that most teen-age girls end up being taken advantage of. That might not be you but it's the norm.

Hope you can hang in there. Graduation is not far off!

Old 10-21-2003, 04:07 PM   #4
    gillian30

gillian30 HB User
    I hope you don't take offense at this, but your parents sound like they may have some serious mental-health issues going on. This is way beyond strict parenting, this is into the realm of paranoia. Calling you every few minutes, hitting you, over-questioning your every move? Really strange. Save as much money as possible, put yourself through school if you have to, and at 18, move away. Until then stay focused on your education and keep thinking of your 18th birthday!

Old 10-22-2003, 03:11 PM   #5
    TerryB
    Veteran
    (female)

TerryB HB User
    I hope that you are OK Browny. Let us know how you are doing.

Old 10-25-2003, 04:50 PM   #6
    Browny

Browny HB User
    Unhappy

thanks for your replys! ya i will concentrate on graduation and turning 18 but i doubt my parents will let me move out of the house when i turn 18! well the halloween dance is coming up and my goal is to make them let me go so i can still have some sanity in my life!

Old 10-26-2003, 05:15 AM   #7
    Want 2 B Well
    Senior Veteran

Want 2 B Well HB User
    What about college? Have you taken your SATs yet??
    Quit smoking June 3 2003
    Will be 39 in Feb.
    Scared to turn 40

I am a work in progress...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-26-2003, 06:04 PM   #8
    TerryB
    Veteran
    (female)

TerryB HB User
    Browny
    Don't take Kiss's post too seriously. One thing that I have learned from these very active boards is that there always seems to be someone that is abrasive. I always figure that the person must have much bigger problems than I do to act out in such a manner. So even though your self-esteem might be really low right now, because of the problems that you are having with your parents, you need to just not let it get to you. You can't please everyone in life. Kiss might not have read your post very carefully either before making the comments. She probably doesn't realize that she is "kicking you while you are down."

I hope that even people with learning disabilities feel comfortable posting here. Not everyone will having perfect grammar or spelling. Some people have had a poor education or a not very enriched unbringing. That doesn't make them bad people or not welcome here.

Old 10-28-2003, 04:33 PM   #9
    Samantha0783

Samantha0783 HB User
    I am very sorry you have to live like this. I also agree about the way your parents hit you just isn't right.
    You said you didn't know if they would let you move when you turned 18, legally you can and they can't stop you. I dont know how they would react or anything, if they would like kind of push you out of the family or what though, but if you have to then you can.

Old 11-19-2003, 04:21 PM   #10
    Browny

Browny HB User
    aww u guys are great. i haven't taken the s a t's because i live in canada but i do want to go to a american school so i can be far from my parents as possible

Old 11-19-2003, 04:27 PM   #11
    Browny

Browny HB User
    oh ya they let me go to the halloween dance and the catch was i had to have my phone on (they didn't call me but just once to see if it was on) and they dropped me to the front door asked my princeple what time it would be over and to tell them if i left the property. my princeple was like oh come pick her up at 11 but the dance was over at 10:30 so my friends boyfriend took us out to drink kuz we left the dance at 10 and my parents made me wait in the cold for them withthe princple til 11:30 but watever i got to go is all that matters and now i'm workin on the christmas dance!

Old 11-19-2003, 06:35 PM   #12
    TerryB
    Veteran
    (female)

TerryB HB User
    Well, I'm glad you got through it without getting beat again! Didn't you get in trouble for drinking? I mean didn't they smell your breath ect... I would really be nervous as a parent if I found out that you had been drinking but I can't deny that I did the same thing myself. Try to be responsible. I don't know what the legal drinking age is up there in Canada.

Closed Thread