It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Ferritin of 8?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
    pinkpixies
    Veteran
    (female)

pinkpixies HB User
    Ferritin of 8?

Is that really low? What could cause that? I take a multi vitamin. >.< I haven't even had my period in like 7-8 weeks so it shouldn't be from that? (no, I'm not pregnant.) I go back to my GI doctor on July 15th to go over my blood tests and CT scan.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
    Mandy0016
    (female)

Mandy0016 HB User
    Re: Ferritin of 8?

I don't think it's low....
    My ferritin level was a 2, and my doctor said that it should be
    at at an 8....
    I could be wrong though....

Old 06-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
    ebrena
    Veteran
    (female)

ebrena HB Userebrena HB User

Mandy mine is 17 and is low. My DR has put me back on Pallifer Iron supplements. I was taking them for 3 months and had finished the 1st prescription and just didn't go to the DR-well from when I stopped until a month later when I got re-tested I was so weak, breathless, my arms and legs were like rubber and my right leg ached at night and I was in a fog. I have started iron again 2 weeks ago and I am actually beginning to have more energy and becoming less breathless and my legs have stopped aching. I have to get tested to see if I am bleeding in my stomach somewhere to make my ferritin so low.

A level of 2 and the Dr says it is ok-I would maybe ask him again. How do you feel physically & mentally at 2? maybe that is a level good for you, I don't know much about it other than I got called to come in ASAP after my lab results showed 17.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:30 AM   #4
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User

Optimum ferritin levels would be 70 - 90 according to what i have learnt. So yes 8 is low and that is what mine was. I am 5 months into taking iron tablets three times a day (if i remember to take them!!) prescribed by my doctor. I have been anaemic before so i do not want to have low iron levels again because i know how bad i will feel if i let it drop.
    my first test in Jan was 8.8 and in april had gone up to 18.6 through religiously taking the iron because i had felt so bad. Since i have been feeling better i havent been taking the tablets as often as i should.
    I have read that mild iron deficiency leads to a low ferritin which may eventully result in anaemia and that people with ferritin of less than 30 should be on iron tablets 3x daily.

Iron is important for many important functions and is needed to make chemicals such as dopamine, DNA and white blood cells. My white blood cells (WBC)were low at 3.2 with my low ferritin levels but as the ferritin increses so does my WBC (4.1).
    I felt grim with a low ferritin level but am feeling much stronger in many ways physicaly and mentaly. Having low iron levels can affect brain function causing brain fog. I also felt very down and fed up but i am coping much better now even being under increased pressure.
    Other improved symptoms are that my nails are stronger and longer!! than they were, i dont have chest aches, and i have more energy.
    My iron deficiency is down to heavy periods and i have no other known complications.

Hope that helps

Last edited by gemini123; 06-29-2009 at 01:33 AM.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

pinkpixies--Welcome!

An 8 ferritin is definitely low, as others have said (under normal range) and this relates to iron depleted stores following iron deficiency, not enough iron remaining to be at normal levels and to maintain the Hgb. My Hematologist says that anything under ten means no iron stores. Depleted iron stores end stage will result in iron deficiency anemia. A GI doc is a good place to start as you have already done. Wait and see what s/he says about your labs and go from there. Maybe you are looking at malabsorpiton. Take care. FLFG

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Closed Thread