It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Just had endoscopic sinus surgery, and really could use help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
    PauletteM
    (female)

PauletteM HB User
    Just had endoscopic sinus surgery, and really could use help

Hi, I had endoscopic sinus surgery and deviated septum fixed on June 25, 2009. I still feel sick; I began feeling worse after the debridement performed on July 1, 2009. I didn't know that I'd be getting that painful procedure done; this hasn't helped the situation. I had a slight headache after the procedure; by the next morning I had a full blown migraine. The migraine stopped yest. AM. (July 5) I am scheduled for another debridement this Wed. AM; the ENT Dr. is uncertain how many more debridements are necessary. (Was told by his staff that some patients have 4-5) I don't think I can handle it. Does this sound like normal protocol for this type of surgery. Also, is it normal to still be feeling sick, this many days after the surgery. My present Dr. doesn't discuss what's going on; I called his office after the debridement. I told them I was sorry for crying during the procedure and asked see how many more of these I would need. His assistant was kind and told me I "did real good" she continued to say "we've had some patients pass out on us". I feel scared besides sick and don't know if I should get a second opinion pertaining to my follow ups. I'd appreciate any advice.

-PauletteM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
    Re: Just had endoscopic sinus surgery, and really could use help

Quote:
    I am scheduled for another debridement this Wed. AM; the ENT Dr. is uncertain how many more debridements are necessary. (Was told by his staff that some patients have 4-5) I don't think I can handle it. Does this sound like normal protocol for this type of surgery. Also, is it normal to still be feeling sick, this many days after the surgery.
    It's too bad that the doctor didn't tell you about the debridements before the surgery but they are absolutely critical to the successful outcome of the surgery. I don't know if the doctor explained it, but the point of debridement is to remove crusts (scabs) that can cause scar tissue to form on the areas that were operated on.

The standard post-surgical protocol is 3-5 follow up debridements during the 4 weeks after surgery. People who have the surgery without the follow up debridement are more likely to need additional surgery so it's really important to follow through with them (I would recommend that you hold onto a few of your prescription painkillers and take them 30 minutes before the next debridement procedure).

As for how you're feeling, it's not unusual for someone who had a deviated septum repaired to still feel pretty crummy at this point. I suspect you'll start feeling better over the next few days (the deviated septum repair is much more invasive and requires longer follow up than the sinus surgery).

The Following User Says Thank You to gcsjr For This Useful Post:
    ferd31366 (03-07-2012)
    Old 07-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
    PauletteM
    (female)

PauletteM HB User

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I felt a lot better after reading your comments. I will definitely take the pain meds. before the procedure. I don't know if you've had this done before or if you're a Dr., but would you happen to know if the debridements will become less painful after awhile? Once my Dr.'s assistant told me that patients have passed out from this, I became more alarmed.
    Thank you again, PauletteM

Old 07-07-2009, 03:16 AM   #4
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
    would you happen to know if the debridements will become less painful after awhile?
    Typically the first debridement is by far the worst. Each one should get progressively less uncomfortable because there will be fewer crusts to remove.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:04 AM   #5
    PauletteM
    (female)

PauletteM HB User

Hi, I went for another debridement yest.; the procedure went so much better. I took 2 pain pills before it, they sprayed (three times) inside my nose (with numbing spray) and it was not painful! Thank you again for your help and the time that you took to respond to my concerns. PauletteM

Closed Thread