It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board

• Why do anti psychotics cause weight gain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
    iworryalot
    (male)

iworryalot HB User
    Why do anti psychotics cause weight gain?

I experience weight gain, and I am on Risperidone 25 mg (injection).

Before I was put on Risperidone 3 years ago, I was slim and skinny. Now I am fat.

I exercise a lot and eat healthy, yet I keep going up in weight.

Anyway, this topic is NOT meant to discuss how to reverse the weight gain or control it. Its about the core of my question that nobody seems to wants to answer me, and even my doctor, ANY doctor, nurse other health professionals I ask this question, turn away from the topic or the phone suddenly rings, or something "unexpected" happens EVERY ** time I ask the question:

What is the physiological reason to the cause of weight gain in people who get atypical anti-psychotic medications and who do NOT eat different from before they were put on medication?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
    ummyeahjustdoit
    (male)

ummyeahjustdoit HB User
    Re: Why does anti psychotics cause weight gain?

slows your metabolism.
    simple as that really

Last edited by ummyeahjustdoit; 07-06-2009 at 10:16 PM.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #3
    red7204
    (male)

red7204 HB User
    Re: Why does anti psychotics cause weight gain?

I do know there are videos on ******* that explain some of the meds.
    I know resperdal can increase you wanting to eat more, but seroquel does not, but both raise your chances of diabetes, and being overweight increases your chance of diabetes as well.
    Not all anti-psychotics cause weight gain, if this bothers you then maybe you should switch to a different drug.
    If you are eating healthy and exercising then that is key.
    I saw on the cbs news that some of the atypical newer drugs are being reevaluated because the fact that they cause weight gain was not properly explained or revealed to patients and doctors by whoever makes then. How much is true I don't know, but I do remember the people who going around explaining the drug and advertising it admitted to not addressing the weight gain issue.
    Its not that great that these new drugs are being used so widespread when not all the info is released if there is more to them.
    If you read the resperdal paper that comes with the bottle, they tested this on rats, I have no idea how much human testing they did first. It also explains how that some of the test the side effects were infertility and tumors, but again this was in rats and they were probably given outrageous doses of the drug. If you really want to know, read the fine print and talk to your psychiatrist.
    Unfortunately the medical journals that these test go into are usually for medical institutions only and are not easily obtainable or viewable to the public until someone publishes them years later.
    So keep digging and searching, but its great that you want to know this stuff and that you want to be aware of what your taking so don't give up on try to find out more.
    There may a be a doctor you goes to a different forum, or someone else you knows this stuff, so keep searching, go to different forums, and ask there as well.

Last edited by red7204; 07-06-2009 at 07:15 PM.

Closed Thread