It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• I have PCOS, IR, HTN and am overweight. Should I get Mirena?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
    Sapphiredara
    (female)

Sapphiredara HB User
    I have PCOS, IR, HTN and am overweight. Should I get Mirena?

I need some advice please. I have PCOS and it's pretty bad. My gyn recently recommended Mirena IUD for me. I just read about it on the Mirena website and am concerned about the possible side effects and the risks. Can I please have some input from those of you who have PCOS and the skin problems related to it, Insulin resistance, are overweight, have hypertension, IBS and have the Mirena IUD in place? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2009, 03:53 AM   #2
    Bianca12
    (female)

Bianca12 HB User
    Re: I have PCOS, IR, HTN and am overweight. Should I get Mirena?

Hi Sapphiredara,

I have PCOS as well. I have been suffering with this as well. Well the PCOS would not have been a problem if I didn't want children, I have been trying for two years now, to fall pregnant and PCOS really makes it difficult, as I don't ovalulate because of PCOS, one of the main factors associated. I have been on fertility drugs, treatments, like Clomid and injections, it didn't work for me. All the gynocologist that I've been too has told me it is not treatable, you will never be rid of PCOS.
    Well, I have good news! I am at a homeopath at the moment who is treating my PCOS with herbal medicine. He says in 8 weeks I will be rid of it. I have finished my first week, and am very exited. There IS hope. I would advise you to go to a homeopath, as I personally think most gynocologists only want to make money out of you!! I don't have acne, or any of the other systems that usually are related to PCOS, however I do suffer with my weight because of that, and with ovulation and my periods is so iregular.

* email address and/or contact information removed by hb-mod, moderator *

All the best
    Bianca
    Bianca

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-09-2009 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Please don't post contact info, such as email address, per Posting Policy.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
    r12las
    (female)

r12las HB User

Yeah I pretty much have all of them although my blood pressure is not high enough to be medicated. I am on my 3rd mirena and they have been a life saver for me. I had a daughter way before PCOS diagnosis and had mirena fitted. I used to have terrible heavy periods and they stopped completely. No pain no bleeding for about 12yrs now. I was only diagnosed PCOS last Nov. Why have they suggested Mirena as I don't think it has any benefits for PCOS unless unusually like me you have terrible time of the month. They are a little uncomfortable to fit but other than that I have had no problems. I know some people have awful stories but for me it has been great. Any questions, plz ask, take care,

r12las

Old 07-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
    Sapphiredara
    (female)

Sapphiredara HB User

Biana and R12las: Thanks for the encouragement. I think they are wanting me to get the Mirena IUD because I don''t want to get pregnant for another year and a half while I finish nursing school. They said that it would be ok for a woman with PCOS because it's progesterone only and in very low doses. I did some research but got some conflicting info about whether it improves PCOS or doesn't do anything or makes it worse. I have tried Chinese herbalists, acupuncturists and homeopathy before. Nothing seems to work -- it was all a waste of money. When I was on Glucophage/Metformin for a few months the symptoms of PCOS were better but it gave me really bad GI symptoms. I hated it. I've been on so many different variations of progesterone, from Provera to Aygestin, the patch and depo-provera. They all gave me problems and would also stop working. It's all pretty discouraging. I haven't been on anything in a while and on top of that, I gained about 10 pounds after my move up to SF 2 years ago. I was already trying to lose 30 pounds before that. Yeah, so I really need to lose like 40 pounds. It's good old fashioned calorie reduced diet and exercise for me. I am not eligible for the lap band or a gastric bypass, but sometime I almost wish I were just so the weight would come off faster. It is soooo hard! Any tips or recommendations on PCOS or weight reduction would be great. Thanks.

sapphiredara

Last edited by Sapphiredara; 07-16-2009 at 10:15 AM. Reason: misspelling

Closed Thread