It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Possible sinus infection; when to seek help?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
    pinkpixies
    Veteran
    (female)

pinkpixies HB User
    Question Possible sinus infection; when to seek help?

I think I have a sinus infection. I've been having insane amounts of mucus coming out of my nose and coughing it up for over two weeks now. I can blow my nose with 10 tissues one right after another and have them all completely filled with nasty clear goo with streaks of blood. I wasn't too concerned about it until I started seeing the blood coming both out of my nose and coughing it up. At what point should I go see my doctor? How long should I let it go? I tend to take quite a bit of time to fight off colds and such and I'm not really in much discomfort...the post nasal drip is very annoying and chokes me but I'm not in too much pain. The sinus pressure comes and goes but is no worse than normal...actually quite a bit better than it was. Any suggestions on helping speed up recovery? I'd really rather not take antibiotics. (they always give me yeast/bacterial infections. ugh!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2009, 05:55 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Possible sinus infection; when to seek help?

Since the mucous is clear, it doesn't appear to be a sinus infection. The blood could just be from too much blowing. Sounds more like allergies or sinusitis. Have you tried an antihistamine or a decongestant?

Old 07-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
    pinkpixies
    Veteran
    (female)

pinkpixies HB User

I take Zyrtec...this is a lot worse than my normal allergies, but I guess it could just be getting worse as I get older? I really hope I don't need to deal with this the rest of my life! haha oh well.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I had a spell like that a couple of months ago. My pharmacist said it was OK to take 2 zyrtec a day (morning and evening ) and that got rid of it.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
    pinkpixies
    Veteran
    (female)

pinkpixies HB User

I'll call my doctor Monday and ask if I can do that. Thanks!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Mucinex will help clear out the mucous. Give it a try along with Zyrtec. This is what my doctor suggested.

Closed Thread