It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Adderall IR vs Dexadrine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-23-2009, 03:10 AM   #16
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
    Re: Adderall IR vs Dexadrine

Just stumbled out of bed and stumbled here. Walmart called late yesterday to say "it's" in. I'll switch tomorrow - one week to the day. I want to do a clean Dexedrine install.

Some new info hot off the line: I took Saturday and Sunday off and could barely stay awake both days. Adderall crash? Not necessarily. My usual response is the first day a bit sleepy, the second just plain ADHD nuts sans sleepy. 40mg Celexa could be the difference. Celexa is conceptually d,l-lexapro. Lexapro dropped the levo, so to speak. Celexa has more side-effects than Lexapro. I experienced some "somnolence" (new word I learned from reading Lex Info Sheet, Rheanna) now I know two new words. Racemic (sounds like rancid to me) is the other.

What was I talking about? Yes, that is it. Another possible cause behind my show-stopping mid-afternoon crashs could be Celexa wining out over the Adderall.

Too late now. Shrink said, don't quit Celexa and don't ask for any changes for three months.

Mean shrink.

I'll report back on Friday. First day results will be skewed no matter how we figure it.

I haven't experienced any depression in at least a month. Zero. I don't think I need the Celexa any more. Just kidding. I know better. Don't beat, flame or otherswise do me dirt.

Bob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2009, 06:27 AM   #17
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Friends shouldn't allow friends to post unmedicated.

Better now.

The Celexa isn't a new item to my shrink. I, on the other hand, just became painfully aware of it's effects. While it was tactic, shrink does think Celexa + Dexedrine will work better for me. He reviewed my responses and agreed Dexedrine worth a try. Visit before last he offered me a Vyvanse coupon. I turned it down assuming the day would shortly come when Vyvanse was no longer free. Reminds me of the dang drug dealers of old.

Shrink wisely is not into frequent med switches. He's not really mean, he's smart. I would have been down the toilet long ago without this guy. Knows his stuff. That I respect - a lot.

A very dear friend emailed me this AM:

"An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France

Wow. I guess it applies to us all. But don't you think it should be posted right under every GP's Medical Thing - whatever they call that thing that hangs on their wall.

Friday.

You know what? I just noticed all the ads missing from this board. I downloaded a IE update a day or two ago. Must be blocking the ADs. I'll reset it. Someone has got to pay for this operation and I'd prefer it not be me. The bill would be through the roof. I'm fixing it NOW. MS screws around with my settings without me knowing it. Must be in bed with the pharmaceuticals - conspiryosis.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:05 AM   #18
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Thu,

My first day response to Dexedrine was better than I expected.

I'll try posting a few notes each day until the long term pattern is established.

I looked hard for chemically induced "feel good." Hard to say. I want to say "yes, some" but I don't know that looking so hard was not the reason. Let's go with minimal.

My focus was NEVER better. I found myself working out problems without assistance of "virtual memory" writing every thing down. I've never before been able to keep so much on the stack for so long. I believe that each time my stack collapsed I was at the end of my non-ADHD stack limits. Everyone has a stack limit after which written lists, diagrams, and descriptions become necessary to continue processing.

My restlessness/hyeractivity/implusiveness symptoms went to zero. I found myself, literally rather than apparantly, sitting still. No foot tapping. No drum rolls, booger picking, up and down, must check the weather, this board, every five minutes, etc.

18 hours of efficacy, no mid-day crash, slept like a rock last night.

No trouble shifting focus from/to unrelated threads when I needed and wanted to.

Too good to be true. It is true - for yesterday.

Too good to last? Time will tell.

Bob

Old 06-25-2009, 11:09 AM   #19
    Thunor
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

Wow! It does sound too good to be true! I'm hoping that the positive effects to last and that you've found something that really works for you. Myself, dex was excellent, but not to that extent. That said, my family doctor was always very tentative with dosing, and I never approached 30mg (I think he topped me out at half that). My new shrink seems a little more willing to prescribe, so here's hoping I'll be in the same boat by fall.

I am planning to respond in your other thread, I just need some time to pull my thoughts together.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:53 AM   #20
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Thu,

My response yesterday (Thursday) was same as Wednesday. Fab-u-lus.

My solution may have become integrated, that is, all the correct pieces are in the correct order and are working together per specifications. When I see my solution pass the stress tests, I'll replace my weasel words "may have become" with "is."

Bioavailability is one of the many variables commonly overlooked.

You stated that 54mg of Concerta did nothing for you. How can that be? Let's hypothesize a hypothesis. What if the rate of decay is faster than the rate of release? And, what if the mg's / release rate is less than what's needed to cross the focus threshold. What do you suppose would happen?

"Nothing" is my answer. I think you already said that.

Another "what if." What if mg/plasma is measured 12 hours after the pill is popped and is found to be 1/2 peak plasma level. Can we correctly conclude that Concerta's efficacy is half of what it was at peak plasma? I think so.

Now the math is indeed simple.

Concerta's efficacy in your case at the 12 hour mark = 0/2.

The statement 0/2 is called a "logical error." Huh? They mean an error in my logic if I try such a thing. That's cuz logic dictates 0 cannot be divided by anything.

What we can do is this: if (e>0) then e=e/2 else e=0; That's works in the VB_C++ language that I just created. e=efficacy=0 this case.

Another proof you've been correct all alone. Efficacy period based on half-life tested via excrement = excrement.

What do you think?

Bob

Old 07-02-2009, 05:12 AM   #21
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Well, if that don't beat all. My first try was about 75% done, accidentally hit something that caused an apparent upload. Hit refresh a couple three times. It's gone.

Second try:

Thu,

I've been holding out on key information. I wanted to understand the why of the info before going public. I am taking Barr generic Dexedrine CR - not GSK Dexedrine IR or Dexedrine Spansuals. GSK on their own web say the Spansuals are a joke. The "CR" (Controlled Release I suspect) I am taking is no joke. My prescription is for 3 10mg caps per day.

Shrink told me to try taking all three in the AM and then tweak if necessary. I didn't ask, figured he knows best, but thought all three in AM weird. He was talking XR. I was thinking IR.

What the heck is Dexedrine CR and its Barr generic equivalent?

I think I know now. Just a week or two back, you and I were discussing when Shire loses its Adderall XR patent protection. Before that discussion I heard something about XR going generic in the U.S in 2009. Made no sense at all. I still don't get it but it goes something like this: Shire can't find other uses for Adderall XR and so licensed Adderall XR to Barr because Shire's gold mine is going to dry up well before the 15 or 20 year patent expires. Like I said, I don't get it. What I do get . . . Shire upped its Adderall XR price by about 140 percent. Now Barr gets the old price for its generic. The literals are about $150 (the current Barr price, old Shire price) and Shire gets about $212 for their name brand and a cut of the action for Barr's generic. Only we, the ADHD, get screwed.

Barr got nothing other than the rights to the XR micro capsule release technology. The salts of amphetamine are for the taking by all as long as not in the XR micro caps.

I'm reasonably confident that Barr's generic Dexedrine CR is Dexedrine XR.

Barr wrapped Dexedrine in XR micro capsules. How do I know? Well, I know the obvious properties of the micro caps in Adderall and in generic Dexedrine CR/XR - size and toughness of the micros is the same. <removed>

The Shire/Barr deal is the another piece of strong circumstantial evidence in my opinion.

I can't say whether my remarkably positive experience to Dexedrine "CR" most likely "XR" is typical. I do not know anyone else on-line or in person that takes it. I can say with 100% certainty that I get zero buzz from Dex CR/XR and better than Vyvanse's advertised time at work. Those two pieces suggest Dexedrine CR and Vyvanse's bioavailability curve are similar. Similar bioavailability translates to similar won't buzz you property which according the DEA/FDA means both Dex CR and Vyvanse have the same probability of causing abuse. DEA/FDA is full of manure thinking a buzz drives people to abuse. Perhaps a few really hard up for a pathetic high will fall pray. See my footnote.

My short no longer than IR efficacy out of Adderall XR is more than likely because of the levo in Adderall. I felt a certain low-level nastiness from Adderall IR and XR that must have been caused by the levo. Now that the levo is gone so is the nastiness. XR release technology has pretty well been proven. The response curves get complicated when many factors with curves of their own are producing a composite curve.

Each of us has a focus threshold (if you will) where we begin losing ADHD symptoms and begin gaining attentiveness. That threshold can be stated as n quantity of medication per blood unit. If we need, for example, 10mg or better of med in our blood to produce benefits, taking 60mg in a time released formula will do squat if the 10mg plasma level is never reached.

My footnote:

<removed>

So what's my problem and what am I belly-aching over?

Money.

When ADHD sufferers are forced to settle for medication that is not effective for them and/or has nasty avoidable side-effects, many more of "us" will seek self-medication options than the very few that get hooked by a pathetic buzz from an overly restricted medication.

Plan old Dexedrine taken in small multiple doses is as safe and as effective as Vyvanse with just a little more trouble. Doctors titrate us up the dose ladder to avoid the buzz while seeking the lowest dose that will work. Play the game by the rules and even the buzz risk is minimized.

If I am right, and without humility, I say I am, there is a med that is about two hundred dollars less than Vyvanse for real-life, real-dose efficacy, with no disadvantages or increased risks attached.

Dexedrine CR/XR.

Thu,

A lot of ADHD management loose ends are finally coming together for me. I wanted to post some other observations, experiences that must wait until later.

I need a piece of info from you to tie together yet another loosey. Your written word belies the severity of your ADD. You write at a level that most non-ADHD, highly educated, can't achieve. Some of your posts are long yet I never have trouble reading every word with understanding and interest.

How do you do it? You have had to figure out a way around chaotic thinking to achieve the level of order, logic and personality your writing exhibits. In no way are you staid or dull like a tech book with a bunch of well-organized data with no soul.

How did you figure out the work-around? What is the work-around?

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-02-2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: do not discuss illegal drug use

Old 07-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #22
    Thunor
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Thunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB UserThunor HB User

I'm sorry, Bob, I don't know.

I honestly can't recall writing anything between 'Creative Writing' class in the third grade and my first year of university. I must have written something at some point in my school career, but I don't recall a single instance. I can tell you honestly, that there was never a time that I felt I had a talent for writing. What I do remember is agonizing over my first paper in English 101, lying on the living room floor with a pad of paper and a pen, the night before it was due, desparately trying to turn out what I thought was utter crap . . . my mom typed it up for me, word for word; I got an 'A'.

From that moment on, I've been able to write. I don't know how and I don't know why. It's funny, you always hear the adage 'everyone's got something they're good at,' I always thought it was a lie. I suppose though, that writing is what I do well. It falls out of my head like this, like I'm talking in text. I will often go back over what I've written, changing a word here or there, tweaking wording or punctuation in hopes of being clear and not repeating words or phrases (a thesaurus is my best friend, I'm often stuck for words that are 'on the tip of my tongue,' as I noted in another recent post). I'll often read what I've written aloud to see if it sounds right, I feel that a well written piece should be able to be presented as a speech and still make sense. *Addition: Whenever I post to a forum, I refresh the 'preview post' several times, reading over what I have and making little changes, like I'm doing now.*

One thing I've always been able to do is the English language. I can remember rules and generally spell extremely well (there are certain words that I never spell right, license is one, but they're not common). I've been blessed with a sense for spelling, and can often spell a new word upon hearing it, even if it's spelled differently than one might think.

You're right though, my writing belies my ADD status. It makes me wonder if people will assume I'm lying about my ADD when they see my writing. It makes me wonder sometimes. I've spent my life feeling like a good-for-nothing, lazy bum, and my brain often looks for ways to justify that feeling. I digress.

I'll spend some time reflecting on your question over the next few days and see if I have an epiphany, until I do though, I can't explain it.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #23
    Thunor
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I will add, too, that seldom do I ever write anything all at once. From forum posts to papers due in a few hours, I always lose my train of thought and do something else before returning to finish. Sometimes I play a game of Mahjong, sometimes I watch tv, sometimes I follow a digression in thinking and end up reading about the Mongolian invasion or the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

The ADD gets me no matter what, it's frustrating, but as long as I keep coming back and finally finish, I guess it's all good.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:30 AM   #24
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Thu,

You can write English well and I can write C well. Both are completely incompatible with chaotic brain syndrome. Do we have a common work-around?

Maybe.

My "secret" is in self-made diagrams. I never begin work sitting at a computer. I sit in front of a piece of paper and begin diagramming. I transfer the diagrams as they take shape to diagramming software. The software makes it easy to edit but does nothing to help me create. Paper to create. Software to edit.

I began the last instance about two weeks ago. I had to work out a technology called [edited out proprietary reasons]. Never used it before, it does appear to be the best solution to our current problem - automatic transparent connections to remote servers (plural) through the Internet (not a LAN). We "own" both ends of the system but not the middle which is the Internet. Security, firewalls, virus protection, etc. put a major crimp on what would have been a much simpler problem a few years back.

I ended up with ten pages of diagrams that conceptually are on top of each other. The series shows workflow. Start on page 1. End on page 10.

The diagramming process took about 40 hours - spread over two weeks, intermingled with other tasks - to complete. Create -> Edit <- Create -> Edit. An iterative series that results in page one through 10 being completed at the same time.

I'll begin writing the code tomorrow.

Is that your method applied to my problem? Looks like it.

A non-linear method to solve a linear problem?

Or do we naturally solve non-linear problems with a non-linear approach?

My money is on the latter.

........................................ ..

On the Dex ... Still too good to be true but true it is.

More on that later.

Bob

Old 07-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #25
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Dexedrine CR is a GSK brand. Barr manufactures the generic DextroAmp Sul SR.

Whether I am 100% correct about the exact shenanigans of the pharmaceuticals is immaterial.

Dexedrine CR or its Barr equivalent is positively the best extended release formula there is. Enough time has passed since I began Barr's DextroAmp SR to know my response is no new med startup fluke. I get all day efficacy - all day as in 16 hours - everyday.

I'm paying $87 month for an extended release formula at a dose I need that is superior in every respect to Vyvanse. To get the same efficacy from Vyvanse would cost me about $450 / month. My comparison is based on what people on Vyvanse have reported. I have not tried Vyvanse. Never will. Not even with a free coupon. My ability to function per specs is not something I intend to give up.

Very few people are on DextroAmp SR. I searched "every board" on the Internet. Literally I lost count. The few I found taking DextroAmp SR report the same results. Spectacular!

If you are having problems with Adderall or any other stimulant prescribed for your ADHD, get on your knees and beg your pdoc for a DextroAmp SR prescription. Then, if you are an American, call every pharmacy in your state. You MIGHT find one that will get it for you.

Someones very deep pockets are forcing us to pay through the nose for an inferior medication that has ZERO less misuse potential. What BULL you-know-what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't be bullied. Fight if you have to. Having a functional brain is worth it.

That's it folks. I see lots of views for this thread. I hope others have benefited as much as I have.

Bob

Old 07-13-2009, 09:05 PM   #26
    Thunor
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Thanks for the breakdown, Bob. I'm not sure at the moment what my options are for dexedrine, but I will investigate. I'm frustrated lately by the direction of my life despite the ADHD meds, but I'm beginning to wonder if I'm expecting a panacea that will do it all for me, and thus abdicating my responsibilities to make good decisions.

I don't know. Reflection time is required. I'll get back to you.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:39 AM   #27
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thunor View Post
    ...I'm beginning to wonder if I'm expecting a panacea that will do it all for me, and thus abdicating my responsibilities to make good decisions.

I don't know. Reflection time is required. I'll get back to you.
    Dexedrine CR delivers the d-amphetamine so consistently that I don't experience any drug related ups and downs during normal awake hours.

Stated another way: Dexedrine CR does not contribute to the problem with any side-effects.

It enables me to make good decisions. I remain very capable of making bad decisions. It's up to me. A significant contributor is the ADHD coaching I've gotten through my psychologist and through this board. I'm quite sure if we pull the coaching out of the mix, I'd still be looking for the "pancea."

I want to retain a balanced view. Dexedrine CR is NOT the med for everyone. No one medication is. It will not surprise me at all if many find Adderall or Ritalin or Strattera or Wellbutrin more effective their case.

Some additional info:

My ADHD symptoms are directly proportional to the demand on my brain. Persistently too little or too much load adversely affects me.

I can work well on 20mg/day. And on low-load days, 10mg works magnificently. 30mg is required on most work days. I'm unsure about how wise it is to adjust the med on the fly.

I intend to continue days off regularly. I firmly believe days off prevent tolerance. At any rate, it is my experience.

I dumped the Celexa against shrinks wishes. I hate taking the stuff. If the depression returns, I know where the vial is. Or is it "vile?" Yeah, the latter.

The equation is set in diamond. I understand that's a dang hard stone.

Medication + coaching + time = Adult ADHD management. Put the wrong values in the variables, and we are cooked.

Bob

Old 03-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #28
    wookybear2008
    (female)

wookybear2008 HB User

Bob,

Imagine trying to get an effective medication at an effective dose when you are a recovering addict. I've been clean 5+ years. I have been on Vyvanse for almost a year but found it to stop working around 1-2pm. Since I was only on 50mgs, I asked for a second dose of 20mgs to finish my day out. I was told that someone like me (meaning an addict) would not benefit from taking two of "these kinds" of pills a day. Not that I could afford it if it were prescribed. I then asked my doc, how long must one be in recovery to be able to get rid of the stigma and simply get the medicine they need? The answer was unsettling, addicts will always take a chance when taking anything that is mood altering. I knew that, but I want to be able to add my 2cents when discussing my prescriptions. So, in the end, she switched me to adderall IR 30mgsx2 daily. I was pleased with this because I have only heard good things about the pill. So I take it, with great expectations, and nothing, nada. If I felt anything, it was extreme sleepiness. I even took two the next dose, thinking my reaction was due to too low of a dose. Again, extreme fatigue. In fact, I feel fine before taking it, then when it "hits," that is when the fatigue begins. The next day, I decided to try three just to see. Again, I feel nothing and will not go above that so I don't fall prey to the stigma of addiction, I can say no. I thought maybe the pills were lemons, so I gave a half to my mother who is not an addict but has had her fair share of usage in her history and an hour later, she came to me speeding her *** off. So, it is me. I understand the differences in Vyvanse and Adderall, but my question is, is Dexadrine the IR form of Vyvanse? Will it produce the same effects? I never got speedy but the focus I obtained and the clearity at which I saw life was amazing. And I will be able to afford generic dexadrine where I can't the Vyvanse.

Meagan

Closed Thread