It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Decision Point--Go for LEEP or No???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
    mysmallwhite
    (female)

mysmallwhite HB User
    Smile Decision Point--Go for LEEP or No???

I had an abnormal pap smear in March which interpreated it as moderate squamous dysplasia.
    Then I was scheduled for a Colpo on May 14. They did a Colpospic exam on me and also did a biopsy.
    Here is the report back from the Colpo and Biopsy:
    1. Mild squamous dysplasia (CIN I) with koilocytic change
    2. Benign endocervical glandular epithelioum.
    3. Mild acute and chronic endocervicities

I asked my family dr. she said I should do the follow up pap in 6 month,

Now just today, 3 month after, Sep 2. when I went to my family dr. for a normal check up, the nurse looked up my profile and told me that I should go for a LEEP. and family dr. showed me another piece of paper which also issued in May( they did NOT show me that paper when I visit for the Colpo report).
    It shows the gene's comment:
    Colposcopic examination revealed an area of atypical whitened epithelium involving the anterior lip of the cervix. Directed biopsy revealed mild dysplasia.
    In view of the discrepency between Pap smear , colposcopic and pathology findings, a diagnostic LEEP excision is recommended.

Now, I understand he send me for a LEEP because of the discrepency between pap, colpo and biopsy. but why??? Isnt biopsy the most accurate method to review how the cells grow? Isnt pap smear just a screening method?

I live in Vancouver, Canada. I guess no HPV test is done here.

I am 27 years old, not married, no kids and would love to have kids in the future.
    I am in a delima right now, I really dont want to do LEEP. so afraid...

Anyone here who has been suffered a LEEP procedure could answer me several questions?
    1. how many days the pain would last for?
    2. how many days would the bleeding would last?( excluding the MC part)
    3. Compared to Colpo, how much more pain is LEEP?
    4. Would a LEEP preocdure affect my future pregnancy or result in miscarriage?

Thank you soooo much for all girls here~! Any suggestion is much appreciated~!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: Decision Point--Go for LEEP or No???

Before having that LEEP, I'd seek a second opinion. LEEPs are not generally indicated for CIN I.

I didn't have a LEEP, but had a cold knife cone biopsy which is more invasive. I had my surgery early Friday morning, was home by noon, slept most of the day, ate dinner, rested. On Saturday I stayed up most of the day, but didn't go out. Sunday I went to the grocery store with my hubby, but didn't push the cart. I went back to teaching (on my feet all day) on Monday. I think I used pain meds until Saturday evening, but didn't really need to use them. I was a little tired/sore on Monday afternoon, but that was it.

I spotted for a day or two and then there were just traces of discharge for about a week.

Like I said, though. That was a CKC, not a LEEP.

I've heard many women say the colpo+biopsy is much more uncomfortable than the LEEP.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
    mysmallwhite
    (female)

mysmallwhite HB User

oh ya? that was fast~
    I heard that it is depend on different people's tolerance. I agree with this.
    The reason why I am worrying is because I did NOT and not planning to tell my parents about this. I was born in an Asian family, which is extremly strict.
    They dont like me go out, hang out with friends, eat with friends...
    When I stay late outside, they keep calling me and go crazy mad at me.

I can hardly think of how will they react if they get to know the truth about me.

so I did Colpo secretly, and LEEP??? I really dont know.
    Friends advised me stay out for several days and nights, but it just impossible to happen in my family. I canot stay outside even with female friends for even one night.

so it is like, I have to pretend everything is fine with me at home, you know?
    I am worried it will be hard for me.
    but like pickleeyes said, some girls would figure Colpo+Biopsy is way more uncomfortable.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:33 AM   #4
    LilyL21
    Veteran
    (female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User

I think you might need another opinion froma gynecologist. I'm not really sure why the doctor would recommend a LEEP from CIN 1. And, like you said, the biopsy is the more accurate method, so I would think a doctor would be more likely to trust those results.

As for the LEEP, it really wasn't a big deal at all for me. I seriously could have have gone back to a normal day afterward. I had very slight cramping for a few hours, and that was it. I only bled for maybe 1/2 hour afterward. I used pads, but the only one that actually had blood on it was the one I put on right after the procedure. I found the LEEP easier than the colposcopy.

As for your family, I honestly think it would be pretty easy just not to tell them about it. If you don't feel well, you could just say you have cramps, which will probably be accurate!

The stats are that LEEP increases your risk of preterm birth slightly, from 4% to 6%. However, I think the risk is dependant on how your cervix is to begin with, and how much they remove during the LEEP. I have seen several studies that show that if they remove less than 1cm, the LEEP does NOT increase the chance of preterm birth.

I had a very concervative LEEP . . . they only removed 2mm! The tissue was like the size of a dime, folded in half. I seriously can't even imagine that would have cause me to have any problems during pregnancy.

So I guess what I'm saying is that you don't have a bad option. You could not have a LEEP and just have follow ups, or you could have a LEEP and just tell the doctor to be super conservative.

Personally, I would get yourself to a gynecologist and what she says. The only time I've ever heard of a LEEP for CIN 1 is in older women who are finished having kids. I bet the gynecologist tells you that you don't need a LEEP at all.

Good luck!

Last edited by LilyL21; 09-03-2009 at 10:43 AM.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
    mysmallwhite
    (female)

mysmallwhite HB User

I have been refered to talk to gynecologist on Sep17.
    They said after talking with the gynecologist, he will arrange me for a LEEP.

Actually the LEEP excision recommendation was made by the Gynecologist.
    His main cocern is the discrepency between the Pap smere, Colpo Impression, and the biopsy result.

The Colposcopy Short Stay Form shows:
    Colposcopic Impression: Dysplasia- Moderate
    Colposcopic Biopsy: Dysplasia- Mild (Squamous)
    Colposcopic Evaluation: Squamous
    Recommendations: LEEP

So I figure the Colposcopic Impression means what he has seen under microscope looks like moderate dysplasia? Is that right?

Then what the biopsy shows is just mild dysplasia.

So I am guessing he is just to be conservative to recommend me for a LEEP?

Again this is just a guess.

But I think if he strongly recommend me to go for a LEEP then I would do that, I dont want to put my life on a risk.

According to Lily, I guess the bleeding or cramping time will be significantly related to how big of tissue he removed. When I did the Colpo, the gyn put a tampon inside and asked me to change it every 2 hours. but guess what?
    when I took the tampon out after 2 hours, there already no more bleeding.
    and the cramping is ok for me, totally toleeable, and I went back to work the next
    day. I hope LEEp will be as easy as Colpo... praying

As for my family part, thanks to Lily's advice, I think I am going to just hide it.
    Before I was worried if I could die on the surgery bed. >_<

Oh another question. Does the anaesthetic for whole body? I thought only my cervix needs to be numb? but the family dr. told me its for whole body.

and how long I will wake up from the anaesthetic ? hopefully wont take more than 1 day... ><

Thanks to Lily, I am now clarified with normal thinking.
    and Pickleeyes too, thank you dear girls all on this board!!!

Old 09-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
    LilyL21
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mysmallwhite View Post
    So I figure the Colposcopic Impression means what he has seen under microscope looks like moderate dysplasia? Is that right?
    I think you are right about that. What I don't understand is that I would personally consider the "colposcopic impression" to be way less accurate than the biopsy. In fact, my gynecologist specifically did NOT give me a diagnosis after my colposcopy because she said she would only be guessing. I later read my medical records and her impression was CIN 2 moderate dysplasia, which was correct, but still she bascally was saying that she did not trust her own colposcopic impression to diagnose me.

Still, I don't think having a LEEP is such a big deal, so if you want to be extra caustious, it's not a bad option.

The LEEP is usually done with local anesthetic only. The only time I've ever heard of someone being put under is when they are having a significant amount of tissue removed. In your case, I would think they would just do a local.

Again, just please make sure to discuss with the gynecologist how much he is going to remove. Doctors have A LOT of discretion. Sometimes they remove the entire lesion and take a few millimeters of healthy tissue. Sometimes they just remove the part that looks worst. With only CIN 1, I think you would want to be very conservative since the LEEP is only precautionary.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
    mysmallwhite
    (female)

mysmallwhite HB User

[QUOTE=LilyL21;4070572] I would personally consider the "colposcopic impression" to be way less accurate than the biopsy. QUOTE]

That is exactly what I was thinking and why I was hesitated about whether should go for LEEP. Especially under the situation that it suddenly pop up after 3 months of my Colposcopy.

To be honest, I am uncomfortable about this. I think if this is the recommendation from the Gynecologist from the Colpo, then someone should let me know when I was back to clinic reviewing my report from Colpo.
    How could the Recommendation comes 3 months later than the report?( they both issued in May) and no one notify me for 3 months, though I have been visiting my family dr. clinic for several time during these 3 months.

I still kept the family dr.'s handwriting about " follow up pap in 6 months".
    Now the nurse in the clinic was in such a surprise and asked me: oh you havent gone for LEEP? Are you away from Vancouver recently?
    For the sake of god, I have my cellphone on 24hours a day 7 days a week.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
    LilyL21
    Veteran
    (female)

I guess the problem with biopsies is that they are only a small sample . . . they could have biopsied an area of CIN 1, and just missed an area of CIN 2. Still, you would think he would have biopsied the worst looking area that he thought was CIN 2. So the biopsy is just telling him he was wrong about it being CIN 2 in that area.

You should take that piece of paper to the doctor and ask him what's up. Sometimes doctors need to be called out on their crap! Grrr . . .

Old 09-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #9
    mysmallwhite
    (female)

mysmallwhite HB User

Hey Lily~ Just a personal question.
    You said you had CIN II before and had a LEEP done.
    Just want to make sure that you are all perfectly healthy right now eh?
    Does all your following paps all return normal yet?

Old 09-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #10
    LilyL21
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mysmallwhite View Post
    Hey Lily~ Just a personal question.
    You said you had CIN II before and had a LEEP done.
    Just want to make sure that you are all perfectly healthy right now eh?
    Does all your following paps all return normal yet?
    My first pap ever was abnormal, which lead to a diagnosis of CIN 2, so I had a LEEP. The LEEP discovered adenocarcinoma in situ, so then I had to have cold knife cone biopsy. I've had one follow up, and everything was good except I was still postive for hpv. I have another follow up next week.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #11
    mysmallwhite
    (female)

mysmallwhite HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LilyL21 View Post
    My first pap ever was abnormal, which lead to a diagnosis of CIN 2, so I had a LEEP. The LEEP discovered adenocarcinoma in situ, so then I had to have cold knife cone biopsy. I've had one follow up, and everything was good except I was still postive for hpv. I have another follow up next week.
    oh god. Lily~I am so sorry for what you have been suffered.
    LEEP can diagnose AIS? so does it mean the gynecologist took the tissue from LEEP and do some more pathologic study?

I am getting more afraid about LEEP now. oh my godness......this is not the end yet. I thought if I do a LEEP, then I will be absolutely fine.

but its good for you that after the cold knife, your first follow up is normal.
    I guess it just takes time for the HPV test to turn back to negative.

so I am guessing even the cold knife wont affect the future baby delivery, or just little effect, is it?

Old 09-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #12
    mysmallwhite
    (female)

mysmallwhite HB User

Oh Also~ GOOD LUCK FOR YOUR FOLLOW UP NEXT WEEK~!!!
    good luck good luck good luck!
    All the best wishes for you Lily~!!!
    We are all here waiting for your good news!

Old 09-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #13
    LilyL21
    Veteran
    (female)

I didn't mean to scare you! Glandular changes are quite rare when compared to squamous cells chances! CIN 1 is extremely common, doctors only see a few AIS cases each year.

But yes, they DO take the tissue removed from the LEEP and send it for pathology. That's one good thing about the LEEP: afterward, there will be no disputing your diagnosis.

Don't be afraid of the LEEP. It's very, very easy and it's highly unlikely they will find anything worse that they saw on colposcopy. I think the stats show that LEEP is 95% curative if they remove the entire lesion. A few women have to have a 2nd LEEP, but it's very rare for this to be a continuing problem.

Still, I don't want to sound like I'm encouraging the LEEP. LEEPs aren't usually done for CIN 1, but it's your decision if you want the peace of mind!

The cold knife cone took a much bigger piece of my cervix: 1.8 cm! But I've had 3 doctors all tell me that my cervix looks just fine and I should be able carry a baby with no problems. One even said he could barely tell anything had ever been done to it! (My boyfriend started refering to it as my "miracle cervix," because how the heck to you cut 2cm out of something and have it look the same???)

Thank you for the kind words! I'm hoping this next HPV test will be better!

Old 09-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #14
    mysmallwhite
    (female)

mysmallwhite HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LilyL21 View Post
    (My boyfriend started refering to it as my "miracle cervix," !
    hahahaha~~~ make me laugh~~~
    yes, You got a Miracle Cervix!

Old 09-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #15
    oldfashiongirl
    (female)

oldfashiongirl HB User

I had a LEEP at the end of March for CIN II & III and my first follow up pap done in early August came back normal. The doctor was pleasently surprised as she was expecting the first follow-up pap to still come back as low-level abnormal. So, I am very happy that I went through with the LEEP! Hopefully my paps will continue to come back as normal. My next one isn't until November.

Be sure to clarify whether you will be having a general anesthetic or a local. A general, where they put you all the way under, is usually done in a hospital and requires a longer stay (a few hours I believe) and you HAVE to have someone drive you home. Whereas a local anesthetic numbs just the cervix, can be done in the doctorís office, and you are done in 10 minutes!

I was sooooooo scared about how much the LEEP would hurt that I was on major anti-anxiety meds and even some vicodin but it wasnít that bad at all. I agree with Lily that if you are extremely worried about your familyís reaction, that you could easily hide it just by saying that you arenít feeling well and then lay low for a day or two. Good luck!

Closed Thread