It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• LDL vs. triglycerides

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #1
    juan motime
    (male)

juan motime HB User
    LDL vs. triglycerides

In March, I stopped taking Lipitor after three years due to worsening, unbearable side effects. My cholesterol readings also worsened as a result.

In December, my LDL was 41, and is now 104.

In December, my triglycerides were 193 (lowest reading ever), and are now up to 322.

As a result of reading message boards both in this forum and articles elsewhere, I became of the opinion that my trigs were more alarming than my LDL, even though both are too high.

I thought that Lopid by itself would be the best drug for the cardiologist to prescribe, based on what I've read about its effectiveness and overall tamer side effects.

He said getting my LDL lower is far more important than my trigs, and said that he would only prescribe Lopid for someone whose trigs were sky high--like 600 or 700.

My question to others here is this: Does his concern for an LDL reading of 104 over his concern for triglycerides of 322 ring true?

Also, has anyone ever taken Lopid by itself and had success with it and/or bad side effects?

I've been a vegetarian and daily exerciser for nearly twenty years, and am 61 years old, height 5'11, weight 168.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
    tjlhb
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
    Re: LDL vs. triglycerides

As a vegetarian, how much and what type of carbohydrates do you consume?

If you consume a large amount of sugars and refined carbohydrates, you may want to cut back on them to try to reduce your triglycerides. Also, if you consume alcohol, try cutting back on that.

On the LDL front, the types of fats tend to be most important. Avoid hydrogenated oils whose trans-fats raise LDL and lower HDL. Saturated fat also raises LDL (though it also raises HDL); it is found in dairy fat, coconut oil, and palm oil.

Closed Thread