It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Foggy Brain - Half dead

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #16
    john1993
    (male)

john1993 HB User
    Re: Foggy Brain - Half dead

Also i doubt this is a stroke.. idk what it is.. but sometimes if i move my head in a weird direction or move it fast the upper back of my neck hurts really bad like i rip the muscle.. then the side it happens on.. that side of my head goes numb. so if i feel like i ripped a muscle on the right side.. the whole back right side of my head goes numb and tingles

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #17
    scout316
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User

hi john

listen I', thinkin' maybe you too should see an endocrinologist...do you have any other sx with the brain fog?do you feel thirsty most of the time?have to pee frequently?sounds weird,but maybe just maybe it's something to do with the endocrine system...which could be any of the glandsituitary,adrenal...etc.What is your diet like?lots of sugar?no sugar?drink or not drink water?try to think of any other sx you are having even if they seem trivial.I want to help you,others and myself if I can.

Don't feel like you're alone...I'm here for you...try to stay relaxed and try to keep your mind on other things and rest when you need it.

An endocrinologist can do sophisticated tests that a GP dr. can't/won't...so there is hope and you will get better....I keep telling myself too that I'll get through this.

talk soon~Scout

Old 09-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #18
    scout316
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

also maybe you need an MRI...I read that MS can cause brain fog too and my drs. in past thought I may have MS,but my last MRI was in Dec.'06 and I didn't have any brain lesions....so many possibilities,but sooner or later you have to get a dx.

Peace~Scout

Old 09-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #19
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

The other thing I wanted to say is.. wouldn't you know it, if you had a stroke? The most typical symptom of a stroke is difficulty with basic functions on one side of the body, or at least this is what I've read time and time again, and that's what I've observed in pretty much everyone I've known who had a stroke.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #20
    john1993
    (male)

john1993 HB User

Dont have the best diet.. Eat a good dinner with alot of veggies and meat and stuff. iM not thirtsy much and dont have to pee a lot. I drunk pleanty.. Think i should get an mri?

Old 09-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #21
    scout316
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Benit:some people can have "mini strokes" and not be aware of them.There would definitely be some changes though...like slurred speech,numbness...an EKG done in the drs. office can show any kind of abnormality that has previously occurred(that's what my dr. told me).I don't think a person who had even a mild stroke would just be able to function as if nothing happened.

John:Yes an MRI of brain and cervical spine(neck) would at least rule in/out MS and a ton of other possible health problems.You are very young,but if your blood work all comes back normal then it's time to look beyond that.

You shouldn't feel embarassed to have a heart to heart talk with your parents...the fact that you have trouble talking is a signof something "not quite right"...maybe it's just a "nervous" emotion,but you won't know unless you have these sx checked out.A neurologist would be the dr. to go to.Brain fog is a real sx and I know it is something you wish you didn't have,but please don't feel hesitant about asking for help.

Scout~

Old 09-09-2009, 04:54 PM   #22
    john1993
    (male)

john1993 HB User

Ok thanks ill try to talk to them soon. And ill post back wheb i find out if im getting an mri and what not. Thanks everyone

Old 09-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #23
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scout316 View Post
    Benit:some people can have "mini strokes" and not be aware of them.There would definitely be some changes though...like slurred speech,numbness...an EKG done in the drs. office can show any kind of abnormality that has previously occurred(that's what my dr. told me).I don't think a person who had even a mild stroke would just be able to function as if nothing happened.
    Scout:

Eh, my brain fog and head pressure and other assorted problems have all been progressive, and sometimes shift around. Would this "progression" of various symptoms probably rule out the cause of my SX as some sort of stroke? If it was some kind of stroke that caused my problems, it would have happened at some point between 22 and 24 years of age, which was when I was still using dangerous substances (former addict.)

Not to mention, aren't mini-strokes usually associated with temporary loss of language, coordination, comprehension...? I never recall such an episode.

I know you can't tell what I have, or don't have, but this idea of some sort of "minor ischemic stroke," or whichever kind is associated with drug use, has been in the back of my mind for a while. Perhaps you could reassure me on this??

Old 09-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #24
    scout316
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Benit

Did you ever have an EKG or blood test to see if your heart muscle was damaged?With a TIA you definitely would have had some warning signs and lasting effects from it.Usually it affects the brain which in turn would cause numbness on one side of the body....my young grandson Ben had a stroke when he was 1 month old(he was 3 months premature) and the brain bleed was on the left side so it affected his right side.He has mild cerebral palsy.He's had speech and physical therapy since he was 16 months old and he is 8 yrs. old now.He just had surgery on July 30th for his hamstrings in both legs and they put a metal plate in his right hip.Yeah it was just awful and heartbreaking to see my little guy in so much pain and the muscle spasms were horrible.About 2 weeks after he was pain free and the spasms eased off.He just got the casts off both of his leggs on Sept.9th...he's doing really well now.Hopefully he'll be able to walk better now.He talks better than kids his own age...so funny.

Anyways I will assure you that it is highly unlikely you had a stroke.If your sx are progressive and fluctuate then I wouldn't worry that it was caused by having a stroke,but I'm not a dr...so it's just my opinion.You & I think too much alike though...I've been thinkin' maybe I had a TIA too,but back in June I had an EKG and it was fine.....but that was for heart palpitations.My "new" sx started in mid August.

When did your brain fog start?Did your sx all start around the same time?I am interested in your case very much so.Also the last time you saw a dr. did he think it was mostly anxiety-related?

Do you ever take your pulse to see what your heart rate is?I do...it's about 72 in am when I wake up and then during the day it's 84...if I have a cigarette it goes up anywheres from 88 to 92.I only smoke half pack or less a day.I cut down last January...before that I was smoking a pack and a half a day.Do you smoke also?I don't use alcohol at all...last time I had a drink I was only 18 yrs. old...this is true.

Well just relax and don't worry about whether you had a stroke or not...it is very stressful for everyone when they don't know what their sx are caused by.Not knowing causes stress....for sure.

Peace~Scout

Old 09-10-2009, 09:47 PM   #25
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
    Did you ever have an EKG or blood test to see if your heart muscle was damaged?
    I had an EKG once in a doctor's office after I was certain there was something wrong with my heart. I was having periods of being unable to tell whether I was warm or cold, palpitations, moments where it felt like my heart was skipping beats for seconds at a time, pain in the left arm, numbness... but it must be noted this was when I was in the throes of addiction, and I wasn't getting good sleep at all. I don't recall what days in particular I was using drugs, just that there was a stretch of days where I was feeling very badly.

So I thought this episode was serious enough that I would go to the doctors anyway, whether I was an addict or not, and just "dodge" questions about substance use. I needed to have my vital signs checked to know for sure. So I went to the doc's in the morning. By then the heart palpitations seemed to have decreased, but I still felt psychotic and I was feeling quite ill.

So I had the EKG and blood pressure checked, that checked out fine except blood pressure was slightly high. Then they had me get my blood drawn to check for Sed rate (the doc explained the Sed rate would pick up something if anything was "really wrong with me"). The Sed rate test came back weeks later, and that was fine.

The doc seemed to think it was an anxiety or panic attack.

Quote:
    When did your brain fog start?Did your sx all start around the same time?I am interested in your case very much so.Also the last time you saw a dr. did he think it was mostly anxiety-related?

Do you ever take your pulse to see what your heart rate is?I do...it's about 72 in am when I wake up and then during the day it's 84...if I have a cigarette it goes up anywheres from 88 to 92.I only smoke half pack or less a day.I cut down last January...before that I was smoking a pack and a half a day.Do you smoke also?I don't use alcohol at all...last time I had a drink I was only 18 yrs. old...this is true.
    It's a very confusing case. Suffice it to say, I have never smoked, and I don't use drugs or alcohol anymore. I've been sober from booze for 2+ years and haven't used drugs for 6 years.

When i go to the supermarket BP machine, my BP is usually on the low-normal end, while my heart rate is usually in the 80s or 90s. Last time, however, it was about 75.

My brain fog has been around in varying degrees ever since I had the head pressure, and that started about 6 years ago when I was still an addict and in poor health. It does seem that the brain fog has "magnified" itself in the last 2-3 years however.

I really don't think you should ask for too many details about my case, cuz you'll probably end up getting confused... I myself can't keep it all straight!

Old 09-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #26
    FastUno
    Inactive
    (male)

FastUno HB UserFastUno HB User

Dehydration at a "Camp?" Have you ever been exposed to ticks or have had a tick bite? Have you ever developed a red bulls eye rash?

I started off with some of the same symptoms you describe, with the head pressure and fogginess. Once I started on anti-biotics, then many more symptoms appeared....muscle twitches, muscle pain, cramps, chest pain....etc.

It is possible you might have gotten bit and never had the bulls eye rash or have seen a tick on you? 13 people in only 6 houses around me have gotten bitten by a tick and/or have lyme disease. So I knew what the possiblities for the cause were. Be warned that that test for Lyme produce many false negative readings. Do plenty of reading if you are suspicious.

Closed Thread