It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Can Allergies/Sinuses cause acid reflux?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-10-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
    happynik
    (female)

happynik HB User
    Can Allergies/Sinuses cause acid reflux?

I have horrible sinus and allergy problems that often make me sick to my stomach because of drainage and all the gross stuff. But I've also noticed that occasional my acid reflux problems and sinus/allergy problems usually go hand in hand. Can sinus drainage cause acid reflux?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2009, 02:55 AM   #2
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
    Re: Can Allergies/Sinuses cause acid reflux?

Sinus issues and acid reflux do go hand in hand but it's actually acid reflux that contributes to sinus issues, not the other way around.

Researchers haven't quite figured out the exact mechanism but acid reflux triggers inflammation in the esophagus (as part of the body's normal reaction to the irritation caused when stomach acid irritates the mucus membranes that line the throat), and in some people with chronic reflux that inflammation seems to radiate upward to include the sinuses, which physically aren't that far removed from the areas that are impacted by reflux (reflux also causes some people to have asthma-like symptoms as the inflammation radiates to the bronchi in the lungs).

It's not unusual for people with asthma and sinus issues to see significant improvement in their symptoms when their acid reflux is treated.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
    peggster
    (female)

peggster HB User
    Smile Re: Can Allergies/Sinuses cause acid reflux?

I too suffer from allergy/sinus/reflux (LPR). I recently read a book by a NY ENT that said you had to get the reflux under control & the sinuses would improve....interesting. Good luck.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I used to get 4-5 sinus infections every year. Since I had surgery to get my reflux under control last year, I've only had one. I never made the connection until after the surgery when I didn't get infections in my usual pattern.

I know that I also have sinus problems related to allergies, but I'm now a definite advocate to getting reflux under control to help the sinuses.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
    wackytoposthere
    Inactive
    (male)

wackytoposthere HB User

Use digestive bitters to get the acids in check, and you should see improvement within two weeks. Do a web search
    on digestive bitters to see what the benefits could be to your health.

Last edited by wackytoposthere; 09-16-2009 at 09:13 PM.

Closed Thread