It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• tmj and sinus connection

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
    tmrots
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User
    tmj and sinus connection

Is there a connection with sinuses and TMJ? I know I have TMJ been diagnosed several times, but today my head hurts, ears are clogged, top of the eyebrows, and dizzy sort of off balance. My jaw hurts too as always. It's cool and rainy where I live and I have been sneezing. My head feels so weird, it is aggrivating. I seem to think they go hand in hand. I guess I am just complaining. Sorry, but I needed to be around others with the same thing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
    trychocolate
    (female)

trychocolate HB User
    Re: tmj and sinus connection

hi tmrots,

I am wondering about this too, as I get these symptoms frequently for some reason. Seems like an allergy or infection. Mild steroids and Netty Pot recommended from dr helped with sinus symptoms but not pain that is intense and intermittant. Can be affected by weather systems but seems ongoing now towards afternoon to end of day.

Maybe other posters can also help here.

choc

Old 09-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
    velvetrance
    (female)

velvetrance HB User

its muscle inflammation from the condyle wherein there is a slipped disc and it is pushing on your sinus cavities. overall, your sinuses might be fine but it's the inflammation from tm joints causing your issues and the inflammation going into the sinus territory.

look how close the jaw joint is to the ear. makes sense that if it inflames the sinuses would hurt although they, themselves, have no actual problem.

using a netty pot won't really do anything unless you actually DO have a sinus problem. the steroid helps because its an anti-inflammatory but it's not a cure and only temporarily.

EDIT: basically, at this point in medicine, there is nothing we can do about it because we cannot control changes in the weather or altitude. it's like with anyone who has stiff joints and they hurt during bad weather; same thing we just have an unfortunate location. :-(

Last edited by velvetrance; 09-12-2009 at 10:41 AM. Reason: clearing up informationr

Old 09-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
    trychocolate
    (female)

trychocolate HB User

So velvetrance, what is the answer to this then? Would it be anti-inflammatory approach? Not wishing to hijack this thread, this information might be helpful for tmrots. I have had no success with anti-inflammatories and wondering if structural into sphenous bone areas as well as TMJ for some sufferers.

Thank you for your post here,
    choc

Old 09-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
    velvetrance
    (female)

velvetrance HB User

the air pressure changes in the atmosphere. like, if it starts to rain, my entire head hurts. there is nothing i can really do until treatment is finished aside from laydown and take a BT (breakthrough) medication. i've gotten to where i love sunny days and can't fly on an airplane without using special ear plugs. it's pressure within the sinuses from the weather. if you can, lay down, take a pain reliever, and don't overwork yourself.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
    bassclari
    (female)

bassclari HB User

Hi tmrots! Just my 2 cents - so please ignore if this is something you have on a regular basis - my son had a bug last week where he was complaining about the same things. He looked and seemed to be getting a nasty cold (even vomited once). Slept for 2 days and was good as new.

Not to dimish your pain, but I find that sometimes something as simple as a cold or headache can aggravate any health issue, but is not necessarily caused by that health issue.

Like I said, just my 2 cents. Either way, I hope you feel better soon!! ;-)

Last edited by bassclari; 09-12-2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: added stuff

Old 09-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
    tmrots
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User

Thank you all. My computer was out for a week so I haven't been able to read any responses. It isn't raining any longer, but I am so congested and my ears and jaw are killing me. It is so frustrating. hOpe you all are well.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
    velvetrance
    (female)

velvetrance HB User

It's raining in Atlanta now and my ears ARE KILLING ME. My E-Tube is swollen shut from muscles flaring up and it's just this headache like wearing a helmet that's too small.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:00 AM   #9
    tmrots
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

My ears hurt sooooo much, last night my ear and temple and head behind my ear down to my neck were so sore, I had a microwave heating pad on my ear to fall asleep, along with ibuprofen and it didn't do a thing. I was almost crying. Today isn't much better. I am at a loss, the pressure is so bad, how do you function this way? The weather is beautiful and making my allergies worse adding to this mess. I want to scream, but, that will require opening up my mouth and then I will be in worse pain.

thanks for listening.

Closed Thread