It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• Leg Adductors/Abductors

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2009, 05:35 AM   #1
    orenishi
    (female)

orenishi HB User
    Leg Adductors/Abductors

Hello

I was hoping someone would be able to give me advice on these two leg machines.

I have been going to the gym around 5-6 times a week for the last couple of months. I am doing ok and can see visible results, I still have a lot of stomach fat to lose but I know its just a question of carrying on and eventually it will come off.

My legs weren't even fat to begin with, but since I started at the gym I've noticed my lower legs seem to have gone really skinny. My thighs however, have stayed the same and now when I wear jeans to me it looks weird because there is such a contrast between the top and lower half of my legs.

I always use the adductor and abductor machines. I started off on about a 3 resistance and did about 40 reps on each machine. In the first few weeks I noticed my thighs were getting a bit leaner, but every week I increased the resistance a bit more and noticed nothing was really happening to the thighs.

For the last week or so I've just been using both machines on a low resistance.

Can someone advise me how much resistance and how many reps I should be doing to get slimmer thighs? Theres never anyone around at the gym that I can ask. I also do the treadmill for about 20 mins, elliptical for 45 mins, cycle for 20 mins and rowing machine for 30 mins daily.

Any info appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by orenishi; 09-21-2009 at 05:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
    mnfitguy
    (male)

mnfitguy HB User
    Re: Leg Adductors/Abductors

First of all, you can't spot reduce...meaning, you can't work one part of your body to lose weight in that spot.
    Second, these 2 machines are probably the 2 most overused for the overall result. The muscles that you work with these machines are relatively small.If it wasn't for the fact that lots of women like to use these machines, most gyms wouldn't even have them.
    My advice is to stay off them. Use your time and energy more wisely. You should be doing squats and lunges. If you need to start slowly, do them without weights. Then, ramp up by using dumbbells.

BTW, that's a lot of cardio. You should think about cutting that in half and do some strength training. If your gym has a BodyPump class, do it. If it some other strength class, do that. They are almost always included in your membership charge. If you don't like classes, do it on your own. Start off with light weights. A personal trainer should be able to help with a program. If you can't afford one, or don't want to pay one, buy a magazine with some programs in it. Women's Health or even Men's Health is loaded with great workouts.

You're going in the right direction, you just need to add a little to reach your goals. Stay strong...good luck.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-21-2009 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
    titan38
    (male)

titan38 HB User

True. The abb and add machines are the most misused pieces of equipment in the gym. Use them to strengthen your legs, but not to burn fat off of them. Often, usage of these machines can make the situation worse because they can actually make your legs bigger.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-21-2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 09-23-2009, 02:14 AM   #4
    orenishi
    (female)

orenishi HB User

hi all

thanks for you advice.

re the cardio, i should have mentioned i do 15 mins on the elliptical at the gym, and 30 mins at home if i can find the time. i only do it a couple of days a week, so my cardio is around 60 mins on a daily basis.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

When I want to stay lean and fit, I only need to do 30-45 minutes of cardio, but more strength training. If I do MORE cardio and less strength training, I don't feel that my body feels as tight and I start feeling a little flabbier, even if petite.

I'd highly recommend trying out the leg press machine or doing squats and lunges. These help my thighs the MOST, and way more than the adductors or abductors. I had to stop using the adductors and abductors because I found out I have two hernias and I made them slightly worse by using these machines with too much weight (now have to get surgery in November). I get great results by using even just my body weight or light weights when doing lunges and the leg press. I like to use heavier weights, but I can't because of my health condition (for now at least!). Try them out! Lunges will help keep legs tight and slim and are great for the quads.

Closed Thread