It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Dowagers hump, ect

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-14-2001, 01:55 PM   #1
    funton

funton HB User
    Unhappy Dowagers hump, ect

I am just coming to terms with the realization that I have osteroporosis. I have developed a large hump just below my neck that has developed in the last year. I have lost 1 1/2 inches in hieght..I have constant pain in my neck and back and I cannot swallow well.. I feel like I have something sticking in my throat. My stomach has also become protruded. I had none of these symptoms before and I am only going to be 52 this year. I do not smoke and haven't in 11 years, do not drink alcohol and never have... have 6 children.. none of the risk factors I see on the web..EXCEPT two.., I a done with menopause and my paternal grandmother had it, so did her sisters (but they all lived into they're upper 90's and mother and sister have it. But, none of them had or have a dowagers hump that I recall. I am in constant back pain and extremely depressed. I am going to my Doctor soon... I have kind of been living in lala land...not really realizing what this hump is all about. I have always been very strong and healthy and this is devastating me. Also... about a week ago.. I felt a lump near my left wrist... extreme hand pain and now I have this huge bruising straight across my wrist..This wrist thing came out of the blue. Its also very swollen. Could my wrist be broken or cracked or something? How disabling is osteoporosis and what can be done to treat this? I feel I am way too young for this, but certainly do not want it to rob me of more bone mass!!

Hope ya'll can help.

Hurting

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2001, 09:26 PM   #2
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User
    I'm 53 and was diagnosed with osteo at 52, I take actonel and calcium supplements more in food rich in it rather than the pills if I can help it. Osteo is very disabling that is why it is important to get treatment. You can actually end up bed ridden where even a small movement can cause a fracture. I don't know about the lump on the wrist but it wouldn't hurt to have it checked. You may have other conditions as well.

Old 07-11-2001, 08:59 PM   #3
    potato59

potato59 HB User
    I am only 42 and i slump like hunchback of notre dam! SERIOUSLY! I have severe osteoporosis and when i take calcium it hurts my kidneys..I found a new calcium called coral calcium made from the coral reefs of the ocean..but havent tried it yet, awaiting some others comments first..I cant ingest dairy products, because i suffer with IBS, and yeast...so i must rely on my HRT and my calcium supplements...Have you all heard about this coral calcium?

Closed Thread