It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Total Knee Replacement: Recovery - Things I wish I knew!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-05-2009, 05:22 AM   #346
    Kneejerk101
    (female)

Kneejerk101 HB User
    Re: Total Knee Replacement: Recovery - Things I wish I knew!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BibleBarb View Post
    I'm Happy to hear you are doing so well for being a few days post op. I cried like a baby for 3 weeks. I had my right knee done on July 30th. It has been a very long haul, but my Dr and Therapists claim I'm doing exceptionally well. I actually knelt on the floor to mess with the wires on mt stereo sysyem and was able to get up all by myself LOL. I had a rough time was constantly on narcotic pain meds which I recently stopped because my pain is eased with tylenol or advil. However I'm now going through narcotic withdrawals. I had been afraid to go off the pills, but I really don't have much pain anymore. I was depressed because I couldn't do anything, but now I'm doing more and more and I'm going to try to go to work as soon as I can, Part Time of course. I'm a nurse and I had been working in a nursing home, but that's not happening again LOL, Thats probably what ruined my knees in the first place. I'm going to try to get some private duty cases and see how that goes. I'm going nuts doing nothing. I' still in out patient Therapy though, so I have to work a schedule around that. Keep up the great work sounds like you are doing all the right things!
    I'm having a few problems now at 9 weeks (Aug. 4th was my surgery) and my pain level has not subsided. I take 1/4th of a Hydrocdone 10-325 mg. at bed time because before I get up in the morning is my worse time.

Unfortunately I am now experience a lot of lower back discomfort and I seem to be awfully stiff; although I walk without a walker unless I go to a big store and then I take my wheeled walker with a seat in it so I can sit and rest when my back hurts.

I only measure 101 (and that's a squeeze) for the PT person. My visit to my surgeon last week was "I'll see you in a month...keep pushing it." I do get relief from Advil but I have stomach problems anyway (Reflux ...and take Nexium) so I can only take the Advil. It also can decrease the effectiveness of my high BP meds so I only take it when I have somewhere important to go.

I do feel I'm sinking a bit into depression again but I'll just have to deal with it. Have PT this morning and I have a feeling I'll get the full treatment today.

Last edited by Kneejerk101; 10-05-2009 at 05:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #347
    ladyscout
    (female)

ladyscout HB User

That book really helps me know what is happening. I was also able to talk with my doc. about the CPM (he is going to have me bring it home - my ins. covers this but my friend who had this surgery 9 mos. ago says to bring it, and the icing machine home even if it is out of pocket - worth it) and all the kinds of med., blocks, etc. It helped me feel like I an determine my life. My surgery is Nov. 17th. I'm getting all things done around the house (i.e. silver polished, pool filter cleaned, etc.). Heading out this Sat. on a 16 day cruise to Costa Rica, Panama, Columbia, etc. before the surgery. A week ago I did the Lighthouse Century on my bike up by Morro Bay/Cambria. I can bike miles and miles but can barely walk. I'm scared but I've gotten as much knowledge as I can.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:21 AM   #348
    BibleBarb
    (female)

BibleBarb HB User

I'm having a few problems now at 9 weeks (Aug. 4th was my surgery) and my pain level has not subsided. I take 1/4th of a Hydrocdone 10-325 mg. at bed time because before I get up in the morning is my worse time.
    Unfortunately I am now experience a lot of lower back discomfort and I seem to be awfully stiff; although I walk without a walker unless I go to a big store and then I take my wheeled walker with a seat in it so I can sit and rest when my back hurts.

I only measure 101 (and that's a squeeze) for the PT person. My visit to my surgeon last week was "I'll see you in a month...keep pushing it." I do get relief from Advil but I have stomach problems anyway (Reflux ...and take Nexium) so I can only take the Advil. It also can decrease the effectiveness of my high BP meds so I only take it when I have somewhere important to go.

I do feel I'm sinking a bit into depression again but I'll just have to deal with it. Have PT this morning and I have a feeling I'll get the full treatment today.[/QUOTE]

I had some lower back pain and still do occasionally when I don't walk correctly. I had a nurse coming to my house weekly during the first few weeks I was home and she said the back pain was because I wasn't walking right. I have had severe pain in both knees for a long time and I realized that the nurse was right because I would baby whichever knee was bothering me most and I would get backaches. I have been walking incorrectly since surgery. I had no problems bending it or doing exercises, I just couldn't walk properly. I had forgotten how to walk LOL. Since I have started serious therapy I have learned to walk properly, but at times I revert to the way I used to walk and my back does bother me. Your therapist will help you with all of that and while in the beginning of therapy your pain may increase it doesn't last and then you'll notice an improvement. Everyone recovers at different rates, don't compare yourself with anyone else. I have a friend who is the same age as me who had her surgery in May and it took her til late August to be able to drive. She had a rough time of it. And of course I thought this would happen to me also and got very anxious. Work your therapy and do small things first around the house, do something so that you can see the improvement and you will feel better emotionally. I am currently on antidepressants because I fell into a depression because I couldn't do anything. So now I keep a list of everything I do in a day and while I'm not where I was, I am accomplishing something. Yesterday I walked 4 blocks, first time I did this and I had no pain. I did ice it when I got home to prevent any pain. I never got any pain so I'm going to try to do that everyday. It is so hard not to be able to do every day things, but you will do them eventually, your pain will diminish eventually. Give yourself some small goals each day and write them down. It is working for me, I pray it will work for you. Good Luck.................................... Barb

Old 10-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #349
    gospelgal
    (female)

gospelgal HB User

BibleBarb,
    Wow!! Thanks good..4 blocks! I like your idea of writing small goals to achieve..this really helped me. I am now 13 weeks out and am changing my mine on having this procedure done. I walk taller now and not bent over like before surgery. I am starting a daily walking program..next summer my family and I along with several families from church are driving to Yellowstone National park. This time I WIILL NOT be sitting on the sideline. I will be zippidy do dah down the trails!

Old 10-06-2009, 05:58 PM   #350
    Kneejerk101
    (female)

Kneejerk101 HB User

Quote:

I do feel I'm sinking a bit into depression again but I'll just have to deal with it. Have PT this morning and I have a feeling I'll get the full treatment today.
    I had some lower back pain and still do occasionally when I don't walk correctly. I had a nurse coming to my house weekly during the first few weeks I was home and she said the back pain was because I wasn't walking right. I have had severe pain in both knees for a long time and I realized that the nurse was right because I would baby whichever knee was bothering me most and I would get backaches. I have been walking incorrectly since surgery. I had no problems bending it or doing exercises, I just couldn't walk properly. I had forgotten how to walk LOL. Since I have started serious therapy I have learned to walk properly, but at times I revert to the way I used to walk and my back does bother me. Your therapist will help you with all of that and while in the beginning of therapy your pain may increase it doesn't last and then you'll notice an improvement. Everyone recovers at different rates, don't compare yourself with anyone else. I have a friend who is the same age as me who had her surgery in May and it took her til late August to be able to drive. She had a rough time of it. And of course I thought this would happen to me also and got very anxious. Work your therapy and do small things first around the house, do something so that you can see the improvement and you will feel better emotionally. I am currently on antidepressants because I fell into a depression because I couldn't do anything. So now I keep a list of everything I do in a day and while I'm not where I was, I am accomplishing something. Yesterday I walked 4 blocks, first time I did this and I had no pain. I did ice it when I got home to prevent any pain. I never got any pain so I'm going to try to do that everyday. It is so hard not to be able to do every day things, but you will do them eventually, your pain will diminish eventually. Give yourself some small goals each day and write them down. It is working for me, I pray it will work for you. Good Luck.................................... Barb[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice Biblebarb. I go to PT tomorrow. They are trying to work around my sciatic nerve thing, but that means they ease up on the other stuff. I will do as the surgeon says - heat and ice alternated on the lower back and hope for the best. I'm between a rock and a hard place because inactivity means more stiffness and pain...and lots of walking and exercising causes more pain in the back.
    Think I'll head out now this evening for a little stroll - pain or no pain. LOL

Old 10-07-2009, 07:07 AM   #351
    newknee
    (female)

newknee HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kneejerk101 View Post
    I had some lower back pain and still do occasionally when I don't walk correctly. I had a nurse coming to my house weekly during the first few weeks I was home and she said the back pain was because I wasn't walking right. I have had severe pain in both knees for a long time and I realized that the nurse was right because I would baby whichever knee was bothering me most and I would get backaches. I have been walking incorrectly since surgery. I had no problems bending it or doing exercises, I just couldn't walk properly. I had forgotten how to walk LOL. Since I have started serious therapy I have learned to walk properly, but at times I revert to the way I used to walk and my back does bother me. Your therapist will help you with all of that and while in the beginning of therapy your pain may increase it doesn't last and then you'll notice an improvement. Everyone recovers at different rates, don't compare yourself with anyone else. I have a friend who is the same age as me who had her surgery in May and it took her til late August to be able to drive. She had a rough time of it. And of course I thought this would happen to me also and got very anxious. Work your therapy and do small things first around the house, do something so that you can see the improvement and you will feel better emotionally. I am currently on antidepressants because I fell into a depression because I couldn't do anything. So now I keep a list of everything I do in a day and while I'm not where I was, I am accomplishing something. Yesterday I walked 4 blocks, first time I did this and I had no pain. I did ice it when I got home to prevent any pain. I never got any pain so I'm going to try to do that everyday. It is so hard not to be able to do every day things, but you will do them eventually, your pain will diminish eventually. Give yourself some small goals each day and write them down. It is working for me, I pray it will work for you. Good Luck.................................... Barb
    Thanks for the advice Biblebarb. I go to PT tomorrow. They are trying to work around my sciatic nerve thing, but that means they ease up on the other stuff. I will do as the surgeon says - heat and ice alternated on the lower back and hope for the best. I'm between a rock and a hard place because inactivity means more stiffness and pain...and lots of walking and exercising causes more pain in the back.
    Think I'll head out now this evening for a little stroll - pain or no pain. LOL
    [/QUOTE]

I had a lot of low back and hip pain and got a lot of relief with chiropractic and massage (also soaking in a hot bath tub). Having walked improperly for so many years, my body had adjusted to that and with the new knee and learning to walk normally, it took some time to get it all working well again. You are on the right track--it will improve--mine did. Hang in there.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:44 AM   #352
    shatteredangel5
    (female)

shatteredangel5 HB User

Good Morning.....I have to say I'm glad I'm not the only one that is having pain and swelling (not meaning I'm glad you are) please don't take that wrong lol Sorry to hear about your back pain. That seems to happen when we over compensate with one body part when another acts up, at least I do anyway. Hopefully it won't last long for you and you can get around.

I know I can't get the swelling to go down in my knee and also it can be painful, especially when I walk for a while. I was taking my pain med's at night, but sometimes now I take them during the day. It still buckles at times and it feels like it slides when I walk (my Ortho thought I was nuts when I said that lol he's never heard of that before)...of course no one told me what it would feel like BEFORE the surgery. I ice it, bend it and try to keep it loose as much as I can, but for some reason, it seems to stay the same. Also aches clear up to my hip. My flexion is still around 90 degrees and extension stays the same. Saw my Ortho yesterday and told him all this and he told me to take it easy until I go back in 3 weeks, he didn't like the swelling part.....keep doing my simple exercises. Came home discouraged, but have been that way for a while now, it's coming on cold weather and won't be able to get out and walk like I have been. I hate winter lol

I send wishes to all of you that are having pain and hope the level stays low or not at all.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:18 AM   #353
    beerhunters
    (male)

beerhunters HB User

What questions should I ask my doctor in the pre opt apt with him

Old 10-07-2009, 08:41 AM   #354
    charlieh
    (male)

charlieh HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beerhunters View Post
    What questions should I ask my doctor in the pre opt apt with him
    Does he do the quadricep-sparing procedure so that the quadricep muscle is not needlessly cut? This cuts down on pain and decreases rehab time by about 60%. If he doesn't, I would find a doc who does. Does he use cement to attach the upper metal veneer, or does he use a porous veneer which bonds naturally to the bone? Cementing has a smaller failure rate. How many TKR procedures does he do a year? This should b a minimum of 100.

Last edited by charlieh; 10-07-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #355
    BibleBarb
    (female)

BibleBarb HB User

I hope your stroll was a good one! I was able to walk 4 blocks a few days ago with no pain at all, I was so happy. I think that it is the therapist helping me after many years walk properly. I'm not having much pain at all anymore and my flexion is 132 which is close to normal, however my therapist said it may not get to 140 the normal. I'm pretty much acheived most of my goals in therapy. So probably 3 more weeks or so. I'm walking straighter and not having much back pain at all. Everyone heals and recovers at different rates and have different symptoms. I'm just happy that I'm starting to fee productie again. I was a basket case my first month post surgery. I pray that you will feel better soon too.......Barb

Old 10-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #356
    BibleBarb
    (female)

BibleBarb HB User

ShatteredAngel, I know exactly how you feel. I had an issue with swelling the first month post surgery and the nurse that came to my home told me I had to keep it elevated above the level of my heart as much as possible. I knew this LOL, I'm a nurse, but I was so miserable and drugged I needed to be pushed to do things. But the elevation and ice took down the swelling and the level of pain. I would suggest you try it every time you sit or lie down for a rest. I know how discouraging this is, but know that it will get better. I am 2 months post surgery and my flexion is at 132 which is close to normal. I was encouraged by this and the other numbers the therapist gave me. It showed marked progress when I thought I wasn't doing well.Keep hanging in there and report anything unusual to your Dr. It is better to be safe than sorry. I call his nurse constantly LOL. Keep us posted on how you are doing. It does get better!........................Barb

Old 10-09-2009, 05:12 AM   #357
    KittyCat62
    (female)

KittyCat62 HB User

Hi all,

I am 47 years old and had right Total Knee Replacement on August 31st. I have had numorous other surgeries on this knee, 4 others to be exact. The last one was done April 23, 2009. It was a scope where my doctor realized that I definetly needed TKR. I was in pain before the April surgery, but it was so much worse after the surgery that I knew that TKR was my only chance of someday being pain free. 10 years ago I had cartilage inplant surgery, which help get me 10 more years before needing the TKR. The other two surgeries were also scopes.
    Before my surgery on August 31st my extension was +30 and my flexion was I think about 100 or so. I have been walking with a limp for years!
    This week in PT my extension was +10 and flexion was 92 (with my PT pushing me SOOO hard I was crying in pain)
    I know I am so far off from where I should be! I am getting more discouraged every day! I do my exercises faithfully. I have a recumbent bike at home which I am able to finnally go all the way around on. On the exercise bike at PT I go around (just barely) with the setting very high and I am in a lot of pain. The muscles in my leg are so tight and sore all the time!
    My foot, my ankles and my toes bother me. They are numb at times, sore and stiff at other times. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I am constantly doing foot pumps to help with the discomfort.
    I take Motrin for the pain every 6 hours. I try to avoid the pain killers but sometimes at night I do need them. I want to be able to say I am glad I had this done...but I can't do that yet. I actually regret it alot these days. I felt like I was doing well for the first few weeks but I have seemed to hit a brick wall and I can't get past it! Has anyone had similar exeriences?
    This message board has been so helpful to keep me going over the last few weeks. I love hearing everyones "sucess" stories. I hope one day I too will be able to feel well enough to post one!

Old 10-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #358
    shatteredangel5
    (female)

shatteredangel5 HB User

Quote:
    ShatteredAngel, I know exactly how you feel. I had an issue with swelling the first month post surgery and the nurse that came to my home told me I had to keep it elevated above the level of my heart as much as possible. I knew this LOL, I'm a nurse, but I was so miserable and drugged I needed to be pushed to do things. But the elevation and ice took down the swelling and the level of pain. I would suggest you try it every time you sit or lie down for a rest. I know how discouraging this is, but know that it will get better. I am 2 months post surgery and my flexion is at 132 which is close to normal. I was encouraged by this and the other numbers the therapist gave me. It showed marked progress when I thought I wasn't doing well.Keep hanging in there and report anything unusual to your Dr. It is better to be safe than sorry. I call his nurse constantly LOL. Keep us posted on how you are doing. It does get better!........................Barb
    Thanks Barb for your encouragement....I am 2 months out from TKR and still not up from around 90 degrees flexion. *sighs* some day......my Ortho said my motion was good but to still "rest" the knee because of the swelling, but still do simple exercises.....I try to keep it elevated as much as possible, hasn't been above my heart. My recliner does go way back and the foot level goes up and with pillows under my knee, it's not much above my heart, but will put something else under my knee to elevate it even more.

I do have one question though: has anyone ever had the feeling that your knee moves around other than just back and forth like it should? I don't know really how to explain this...it just feels like it slides side to side when I walk and my knee does buckle at times. I asked my new Ortho and he said he never heard of it sliding, maybe it's just me....I don't know. No one ever told me what the knee was supposed to feel like after it was done. I give!!!! lol

have a nice day all

Old 10-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #359
    ladyscout
    (female)

ladyscout HB User

I haven't had my TKR yet (Nov. 17th) but if I were you I'd really check around. If it doesn't feel right to you with the "sliding" start visiting other doctors. I've learned in my 64+ yrs. that my "gut" and how it "doesn't feel right" has always been right on - even if a doc. says otherwise. Pursue this feeling and don't let the doc. put you off. This is probably a great site to get "insight". Good luck!

Old 10-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #360
    shatteredangel5
    (female)

shatteredangel5 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladyscout View Post
    I haven't had my TKR yet (Nov. 17th) but if I were you I'd really check around. If it doesn't feel right to you with the "sliding" start visiting other doctors. I've learned in my 64+ yrs. that my "gut" and how it "doesn't feel right" has always been right on - even if a doc. says otherwise. Pursue this feeling and don't let the doc. put you off. This is probably a great site to get "insight". Good luck!
    Thanks ladyscout for your kind words, I am trying to find out an answer. Thing is, if I go to too many Doc's, my hubby says I'm being a hypochondriac and that I have to go to the doc's with every little thing. I don't know.....sometimes I'm hung up on what to do and people wonder why I'm depressed???? Go figure...

Closed Thread