It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Accutane and vitamin A

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #31
    lpf19
    (male)

lpf19 HB User
    Re: Accutane and vitamin A

Hi, I am going to begin taking vitamin a for my acne. I am 17 years old and was previously taking Claravis (isotretinoin, same as accutane). I was taking at most 80 mg a day. However, my liver enzymes (not from the pills, from alcohol) were high on several tests so they lowered the dosage and I eventually just quit.
    My acne has returned and I'm assuming it is because I never finished my course.
    I have been reading your log, but the amount of IUs you take seems a little high. I would have to be taking over 25 pills a day to reach that much. Was this your case too? (I have vitamin A as fish liver oil, 10,000 IUs). I just wanted to confirm that this is correct for you before I begin downing the pills.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #32
    Luigi48
    (female)

Luigi48 HB User

Hi. I want you to understand that I'm NOT a doctor and cannot make any recommendations to you about how much to take...I posted because I'm 49 years old and had acne all my life. I researched it to my own satisfaction and made my own choice as to how high of a dose I would undertake. I'm also done having children - which should also be a factor in your decision because there is a possibility of fertility damage. I know at 17 you're probably not thinking about that yet but you should...
    Yes, the total number of pills was almost 50 per day. I am also a Personal Trainer and Exercise Instructor and I've been taking handfulls of vitamins for many years although not this many. Only now, I streamlined them to achieve a specific purpose. Also, know that it took 8 months without missing one vitamin. Also, it got FAR worse during the first 2-3 months. It was horrible and hard to live with as I am in front of people all the time...that being said, for me, it was a success. I'm clear. Maybe you wouldn't need as high a dosage as me. Do some research and start with whatever dosage you are comfortable with. The only side effect that is visible are orange feet (soles) and palms of my hands from the Beta Carotene...those are the only VISIBLE side effect - I do not know if it has affected me any other way. I also included Milk Thistle for the liver.
    Good luck - everyone should be able to live clear.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #33
    Luigi48
    (female)

Luigi48 HB User

PS: Don't drink any more alcohol - you're too young to have a bona fide problem with it but you can easily develop yourself a little habit...I know what I'm talking about - I grew up in NYC during the 70s - enough said. AND, a friend of mine just passed away from pancreatic cancer which CAN develop from alcohol overindulgence. Don't even attempt the vitamins while being a drinker - it's just not smart or safe.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:24 AM   #34
    alexf13
    (male)

alexf13 HB User

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum but certainly not new to acne. So i would like to say a warm hello to everyone and after reading the post above i will say that taking hevay doses of any medicine is not a solution to acne.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:12 AM   #35
    derelitto
    (male)

derelitto HB User

Alright, so I started taking 250,000 IU of vitamin A with 800-1000 mg of milk thistle every day since early June. The first two months were miserable: cystic and extremely painful breakouts that would bleed with the slightest touch, and general confidence issues in a social setting as a consequence. Well, it's been about four months since then, and my breakouts are few and far between.

What really bothers me now is the scars from the initial breakout phase--scars that are taking forever to heal, some of which I don't think will ever heal. These scars are all worse--and more visible--than any acne scar on my face previous to my vitamin A regimen.

With that in mind, here is a caveat to anyone who is considering undergoing the vitamin regimen: do not pick at or in any way agitate your face in the initial breakout stages, and if you do, make sure you have some good scar removal paraphernalia to help you along the way (as well as when the breakouts stop, of course).

I am actually satisfied with my results. My skin is dry, so I have been using lotions. I used to get mild headaches at first, but it's nothing aspirin won't fix, and I never get them at all now. Headaches will not occur if you don't take your pills on an empty stomach, so make sure to eat a good meal. I also feel better overall. (My acne was very painful, even before the regimen.)

Another word of warning: DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, DONATE BLOOD. I cannot emphasise that enough. Your blood, which will contain isotretinoin, might go to pregnant women if you do. That could cause birth defects in unborn children.

Finally, don't try this if you are not aware of the side effects and other consequences. Research everything related to vitamin toxicity, and if you experience discomfort or uneasiness, stop immediately. I am a 20 year old male, 140 lbs., and generally healthy. That might not be the case for everyone, so know your physical limits.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:25 AM   #36
    derelitto
    (male)

derelitto HB User

lpf19:

Do not even think about doing this on a weak liver. The vitamin toxicity coupled with alcohol consumption will slowly but surely cause diminished liver function and eventually liver failure.

I would suggest taking milk thistle and liverite for at least 4-6 months to get your liver healthy, and then start taking the vitamin A. You should also abstain from alcohol. Seriously, 8 months isn't that hard.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:34 AM   #37
    Luigi48
    (female)

Luigi48 HB User

Hi. Yeah, those are the results that I had - the worsening before it got better and it was almost enough to make me want to stop - however, since I'm 49 years old, I figured I had nothing to lose at this point...
    I did a lot of research before embarking on this plan - 'accutane' is not just the patented name of acne medicine. Accutane is actually made by the body as a result of vitamin A conversion. If your body is not converting (or getting enough) vitamin A naturally or if one starts out in life with a body system that has trouble with vitamin A conversion - then you have acne. Sometimes the body catches up and corrects itself, sometimes not. I think that at age 49, my body wasn't going to get it right by itself. Sooo, I lived my life with acne since I was 13 years old.
    One MUST take LiverRite/Milk Thistle to counter the effects of straight Vitamin A, but I broke it down into more easily digestible Beta Carotenes (all different types) and it is not used by the body unless it needs it...excess amounts leave the body and are not stored like regular straight Vitamin A (and Accutane) is. My vitamin bill per month easily exceeds $150.00; but that was not a problem for me. Blood test ARE a problem for me and always have been.
    So, now I'm clear and my skin is not all dried out (like it was during the beginning) but I'm not oily either. (I used to use blotter sheets over my makeup but that is not necessary any more)...
    So I feel that if one does the research and takes the necessary precautions and is in good health to begin with - one can be acne-free. What would one expect the medical professionals to say? Yeah, go ahead and take vitamins, don't come to us looking for expensive Accutane and medical tests because we don't need your money? Acne is just like the common cold - they will NEVER come up with an affordable generic alternative since acne doesn't actually KILL you but does generate lots of revenue. If Clearasil worked the first time, there would be no need to make multiple purchases and Clearasil's company would be out of business.
    Alcohol does worse to the liver but since it is a money-generating goldmine, no one cares? Seems kind of stupid - doesn't it?
    If anyone does NOT want to try vitamins - then don't.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:35 AM   #38
    Luigi48
    (female)

Luigi48 HB User

So...what worked for you?

Old 10-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #39
    derelitto
    (male)

derelitto HB User

250,000 IU of vitamin A (not provitamin A/beta carotene) with 1000mg of milk thistle per day was good enough for me.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:59 AM   #40
    alexf13
    (male)

alexf13 HB User

Oh yeah Vitamin A does work. At least it worked for me. So i can say thatit definitely does work.

Closed Thread