It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

  • I have a curved upper back (Dowagers humpI think???)What do i do?

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 05-21-2003, 03:00 PM   #1
    Junior Member
    muslimlady's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2003
    Location: Oregon
    Posts: 42
    muslimlady HB User
    Post I have a curved upper back (Dowagers humpI think???)What do i do?

    hi, I am new to this, But i have had a hump on my lower neck( or you could say upper back) as long as i can remember. I am 29 years old. I remember having a boyfriend make a comment on it when I was 19 years old. and it is much bigger now. My daughter last night said something about it.( she is 8 years old) I wear my hair long because of this (so no one can see it)
    I have been bulimic sense 13 years old.( NO ONE and i mean NO ONE in my family knows this about me! and now i am thinking i may have dowagers hump. What do I do? How do i even begain to ask my doctor about this. What kind of test should i ask to run on me, or will the Doctor tell me?
    I know it has gotten bigger over my 20's....and i wounder if it will keep growing.....where do i even start?

    Sponsors Lightbulb
    Old 05-22-2003, 04:52 AM   #2
    Senior Veteran
    bjg's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2001
    Posts: 610
    bjg HB User

    i'm surprised that your dr has noticed the hump and also what must be your very low wieght from teh bulimia..i would look for another dr...make an appt and express all of my concerns to him/her...let the dr decide what tests you need..they will most likely suggest a bone density scan .

    Old 05-22-2003, 02:29 PM   #3
    Junior Member
    muslimlady's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2003
    Location: Oregon
    Posts: 42
    muslimlady HB User

    thanks for the reply, my Dr never noticed because i never went to one. Bulimic tend to avoid Dr's office's so no one dr ever noticed. and most bulimic are not low in wieght. research has shown most are adverage or weight more then bulimic can be hidden if one wanted to hide it.
    I have a Dr. Apt on June 30th for Asthma. I will work up the nerve to ask when i go. But how do i even bring this up? do i just show her the hump and say,"do you know what this can be?" or do i tell her it has gotten larger and i am worried?
    and slip in i am bulimic?
    Also i have been reading here on the board, and i have asthma, and the meds from this can also be a factor cant it? do i tell her this as well?
    Sometime i think i am over reacting, then i feel and see the hump and i wounder...

    Old 05-22-2003, 03:26 PM   #4
    Junior Member
    Cricket68's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2002
    Location: Brooklyn,NY,Kings
    Posts: 16
    Cricket68 HB User

    If after your Dr.'s visit and a dexa you find that you have osteo. don't panic. I have read other posts from women who have been anorexic and when they began eating normally had increases in their bones.
    Best of luck,

    Old 05-22-2003, 08:07 PM   #5
    Senior Veteran
    NancyH's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2001
    Location: Washington State
    Posts: 1,654
    NancyH HB User

    Actually, any number of reasons for the hump. vit d as well as calcium deficiency from your long time bulimia. There is no cure for Kyphosis(dowangers hump)as it is a bone deformity and rarely they would do surgery if big enough to interfere with your breathing ability(it can get large enough to interfere with the lungs)I have mildly in the C6&7 and my rhumatologist has explained it well, mine is from osteoporosis and I have an arthritic neck. It can't be reversed but you can delay it's progression by taking vit d and calcium and most important see you Dr, bulimia or not you could end up crippled!!!

    Old 07-22-2003, 08:54 PM   #6
    maileplus3's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Posts: 1
    maileplus3 HB User

    I am also 29 and have noticed my "hump" since I was 13. I went to the doctor to find out what it was and got an x-ray and some other tests. Technology was crap back then and no one could tell me what it was or how I got it.My family thought that it was because my father broke 2x4 over the back of my neck but it kept getting bigger. I too have worn my hair long for many years and will not wear certain tops because of it. I know that technology is much better now but I can't afford it. Unfortunately it would be considered cosmetic surgery to have it removed somehow. Until then stay strong and remeber that you are not the only one. If you find any new info please pass it along. Take care.

    Old 07-23-2003, 10:13 PM   #7
    Canyonbabe's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Posts: 95
    Canyonbabe HB User

    Are you both sure it is from bone and not a fatty tumor. They look like bone when in back of neck and do get bigger. They are easy to get rid of. Minor surgery.

    Old 08-04-2006, 11:12 AM   #8
    Appleblossom01's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: Ontario
    Posts: 1
    Appleblossom01 HB User
    Re: I have a curved upper back (Dowagers humpI think???)What do i do?

    I to have this. I am only 16 but I won't cut my hair short or wear certian tops. I'm not sure how to get rid of this it looks horriable I really hate it, I'm extremly self concious about this. I really don't know what my options are, but is cosmetic surgery one? And what are some others?

    Old 08-04-2006, 06:16 PM   #9
    Senior Veteran
    taape's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2005
    Location: California
    Posts: 2,704
    taape HB Usertaape HB User
    Re: I have a curved upper back (Dowagers humpI think???)What do i do?

    You all should go see a doctor and point out the hump before it gets worse and the rest of your spine becomes effected by not being in the correct position. Is it causing you pain? It could be from a fractured vertebrae which is causing your spine to lean over itself. There is vertebroplasty where they pump up the area, straighten it out, and then inject a type of bone cement in to repair the fracture. I don't know how involved the surgery is but you could check it out.

    Old 08-09-2006, 10:46 AM   #10
    Senior Veteran
    snowmelts's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: Indiana, USA
    Posts: 691
    snowmelts HB User
    Post Re: I have a curved upper back (Dowagers humpI think???)What do i do?

    Many X-ray's only show bone.
    This might not be bone.
    An MRI will tell you what it is.

    My brothers girlfriend had a huge hump removed.. it was simply a monster cyst.
    I never even knew she had it but yes it had been there for years and was "hump" that made her back look curved and that is why she wore long hair.
    Now she has a nice short haircut and no humped back.

    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Curved neck? What does that mean? Jane23 Fibromyalgia 4 08-30-2008 04:30 PM
    Severe back pain, x-ray showed curved spine, It hurts!!!! chirpy1982 Back Problems 0 05-31-2008 08:30 AM
    Dowagers hump symptoms Dawn1937 Osteoporosis 4 11-02-2007 02:38 AM
    Does anyone know anything about curved spines? LkK2507 Back Problems 7 04-27-2005 09:43 AM

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:55 AM.

    © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!