It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Low Dose Accutane

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2009, 03:44 AM   #226
    TommyBlates
    (male)

TommyBlates HB User
    Re: Low Dose Accutane

Hi,

I have just started accutane (was on a standard dose aged 16 - 60mg daily I think). Worked to clear my cystic acne but still suffer mild/moderate acne. Just started another low dose course but after just 2 days at 20mg I have experienced significant facial flushing. It's really depressing me as I thought I would avoid this dreaded side effect at such a low dose. I've skipped a day and intend on perhaps taking another 20mg pill tonight but fear that the reaction will continue. Did you experience a worsening in your rosacea (not sure if this is rosacea but I expereienced the same thing on many topical treatments) at the beginning of your course? I know 10mg daily is often used to TREAT rosacea so really didnt expect this so early on. Any advice/words of encouragement would be much appreciated. Also I switched from Differin to Accutane almost immediately so dont know whether this would be a factor, and have been drinking a fair bit.

Regrds,

Tom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2009, 07:00 AM   #227
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

Tommy, I don't know if this helps or not. I experienced quite a few facial flushing episodes when I first started Accutane. They went away. My face still has a slight weathered glow of very light red on the cheeks. It appears like mild sun exposure. The biggest thing for me was that the pustules and infections caused by Rosacea were gone completely. Many Rosacea sufferers report that there is a magic dosage that works for Rosacea. Usually lower than the amount required for severe acne. I was looking for the dosage that bordered acne and Rosacea symptoms. 10mg every other day is where I ended up for the bulk of my treatment. I am 200 pounds and somewhat sensitive to drugs. Again, time is the factor here. The longer I stayed on the low dosage the more stable my symptoms became. Everyone seems to have different reactions to different dosages of this drug. You could ride it out a little, pick your dose and stick with it and see what happens. I started higher than I wanted and continued to taper it down over time. My goal was to find the lowest dosage that would keep my Acne and Rosacea in check. Since you have taken this drug before you proabably remember it takes time for you to stabilize. I wish you the best of luck.

LT

Old 10-20-2009, 07:05 AM   #228
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

I just re-read your post Tommy. Drop the alcohol completely. Drink lots of water and eat fruit and salads. Go low fat on the meats and dairy products. Get a good multiple vitamin. Cut sugar out completely. Try working on a positive mental outlook. Not a single animal in the wilderness has Acne or Rosacea. We humans have managed to muck up a lot of things in society. You will have much better results with Accutane when applied to a healthy body.

I wish you the best...

LT

Old 10-20-2009, 07:10 AM   #229
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

Now for my post, 4 small surface pimples but no real oil. They have appeared and healed quickly. I am trying not to worry about it. I am going to stay off Accutane regardless. I want to see how long this lasts without the support of low dose treatment. Its the only way this journal will be significant. If I can have long term remission on low dose Accutane then maybe there is hope for other people on this drug. I am still against high dosage, it is my personal preference. I fear this drug greatly. Low dose has been easy, no side effects so far whatsoever. Complete clearing of Rosacea and Acne symptoms resulted. This was achieved on a average dose of 10mg once a week in the last couple of months of treatement.

I wish you all the best..

LT

Last edited by LowTane; 10-20-2009 at 07:11 AM.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #230
    TommyBlates
    (male)

TommyBlates HB User

Thanks for the advice. I will as you say "ride it out" and try and establish a happy medium between what controls my acne and keeps my flushing symptoms at bay. Hopefully this intial worsening is going to pass and is a result of my body adjusting to the treatment (layman's biology!). I have just moved to a new city here in France where I took up a bar job before starting roaccutane so its pretty difficult to avoid alcohol...sometimes its easier to knock back the drinks offered to me than explain that I'm on medication for my acne that works better in an alcohol free body, I'm british as well and work with brits and yanks so drinking is pretty integral to many social occasions...I'm trying to cut down but not always easy without drawing attention to my plight with acne/potential rosacea!! So far not toooo bad though since spreading out/reducing the dosing. Hopefully things'll plateau eventually!

Old 10-21-2009, 02:55 AM   #231
    alexf13
    (male)

alexf13 HB User

Hey i cant get this. What is this thread all about.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:53 AM   #232
    oldlawyer
    (male)

oldlawyer HB User

I have 2 doses of 40mg left to take over the next 4 days. My skin is clear. It has been 8 months and 9800mg. Tommy, I would seriously cut down on the booze. I never had really bad rosacea. About a year ago it started with red, scaley and bumpy cheecks. The rosacea cleared it, although there is occaisonal redness. Last weekend I drank a little 3 days in a row and after I ran a few miles on day 4, my face stayed red for 2 days. It is definately the alcohol. And although I agree with LT that you need to eat better, you also need fat to absorb this stuff. Good luck.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:10 AM   #233
    kahkit
    (male)

kahkit HB User
    I wonder why my Accutane doesn't work....

i'm 57kg, taking 40mg of accutane per day, however, instead of getting better, my face seems bloated and pimples grew even more.. my skin doctor assured me that it is normal, but after taking accutane for more than 3 months, my face seems worsen and pimples grow all over my face..

could anyone give me advice and tell me what to do?? is it suppose to worsen till swollen?? i'm really at lost and frustrated.. i look like a human wit elephant head now.. T.T pls help...

Old 10-22-2009, 06:17 AM   #234
    sawbuck44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TommyBlates View Post
    ...I have just moved to a new city here in France where I took up a bar job before starting roaccutane so its pretty difficult to avoid alcohol...sometimes its easier to knock back the drinks offered to me than explain that I'm on medication for my acne that works better in an alcohol free body, ...
    Thought I'd pass along a trick I learned from the movie Coyote Ugly. The girls always get drinks bought for them. One girl takes an empty beer bottle and after she drinks (shots usually) she "chases" it with a swig of beer. No one knows that she spits the alcohol into the empty beer bottle!

My son is 17, 195lbs, 6'6", been on accutane for 3 months. He is doing well. Went through dry lips, initial breakout, tiredness, mouth so sore he couldn't talk. Most of that only lasted a week. He works out every day. Serious weight lifting and cardio. He has bulked up. He is on 90mg daily. 50 in am and 40 at night.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:57 AM   #235
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User
    Re: I wonder why my Accutane doesn't work....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kahkit View Post
    i'm 57kg, taking 40mg of accutane per day, however, instead of getting better, my face seems bloated and pimples grew even more.. my skin doctor assured me that it is normal, but after taking accutane for more than 3 months, my face seems worsen and pimples grow all over my face..

could anyone give me advice and tell me what to do?? is it suppose to worsen till swollen?? i'm really at lost and frustrated.. i look like a human wit elephant head now.. T.T pls help...
    Well, everyone reacts differently to this drug. It almost always seems to take time for it to act. I have read and heard 3 to 6 months many times in many blogs. Do try to drink lots of water and eat very healthy meals. Hang in there.... I wish you the best.

LT

Old 10-28-2009, 06:59 AM   #236
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oldlawyer View Post
    I have 2 doses of 40mg left to take over the next 4 days. My skin is clear. It has been 8 months and 9800mg. Tommy, I would seriously cut down on the booze. I never had really bad rosacea. About a year ago it started with red, scaley and bumpy cheecks. The rosacea cleared it, although there is occaisonal redness. Last weekend I drank a little 3 days in a row and after I ran a few miles on day 4, my face stayed red for 2 days. It is definately the alcohol. And although I agree with LT that you need to eat better, you also need fat to absorb this stuff. Good luck.
    Old Lawyer makes a very good point about fat for absorbtion of Accutane. So if you take Accutane once a day, that means fat once a day as well. So you can eat healthy and still have some fat.

LT

Last edited by LowTane; 10-28-2009 at 07:00 AM.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:03 AM   #237
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexusf13 View Post
    Hey i cant get this. What is this thread all about.
    This thread is about two guys who started Accutane about the same time. They are about the same height and weight. One guy started with Moderate to normal dosing and one guy started with what is considered low dosing. Both have Rosacea and Acne. Both were moderate drinkers. Both have reported there results throughout this thread. You will have to start from the beginning if you want to know more......

Best
    LT

Old 10-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #238
    TommyBlates
    (male)

TommyBlates HB User

LowTane could you please direct me to the UK study into low dose accutane that you mention earlier in the thread. Many thanks

Old 10-30-2009, 09:36 AM   #239
    oldlawyer
    (male)

oldlawyer HB User

Well, 5 days off accutane and nothing new to report. No increase in oil. No breakouts. I am more careful about washing my face at least 3 times a day. Some redness after very strenuous workouts. Trying to gauge if alcohol fits in to the equation, but it does not seemed to have mattered, although I haven`t drank much. I was red for a few days after a long run on Sunday. Had 3 drinks wednesday and it did not get worse....continued to clear. I will try to post once a week or so.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:15 AM   #240
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

I am around 3 months off Accutane. I have had two laser treatments for pores and veins on my nose. My face looks better than it has since I can remember. The last couple of months I was on Accutane I was only taking 10mg once a week. Ridiculously low amount. I don't have much oil on my face. I have some....I get small pimples once in awhile on my nose only and they clear fast. I am still waiting for the other shoe to drop. I have had aching joints from time to time. I don't know if it has anything to do with Accutane, although some people have reported this malady. Because of my low dosing with normal prescription levels I have quite a stockpile of Accutane in my medicine cabinet. My Doc says to come back at the first sign of trouble. He seems comfortable with the low dosing oil maintenance idea. My Rosacea is absent other than a mildly sun flushed appearance that looks like I had light sun from time to time. Acne vulgaris on my chin has not flared once. So far so good. It is very early yet, some people report that the acne stays in remission for up to a couple of years or more. I am prepared to low dose continuously if I have to some day. Oldlawyer, please keep up the posts, I am very interested to see how it goes for you.

Best Wishes all...

LT

Closed Thread