It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board

• Should i get the flu shot?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #16
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
    Re: Should i get the flu shot?

Remember the Seasonal Flu does not fully hit until Jan or Feb.

If anyone tells you they had the flu already ask them if they had a nasal swab
    done because that is the ONLY way to know if you have flu and what type. If it is B it is seasonal if it is A it could be H1N1. Then further tests are needed to prove Swine.

There are several virus going around that mimic the flu right now.

Have faith in your immune system. The seasonal flu shot is a personal preference. I myself have never taken it but I would not talk anyone out of taking it except my own family. None of us take it and will not be taking the
    H1N1. H1N1 is not new and is around every year.

Good luck...... Oleander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2009, 10:40 PM   #17
    mamaonamission
    Inactive
    (female)

mamaonamission HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjlhb View Post
    (in the US) Not the single dose prefilled needles from CSL Limited or Sanofi Pasteur, or the nasal spray from MedImmune.

The pediatric death rate and the hospitalization rate for all age groups for the 2009 novel H1N1 flu is already running much higher than previous flu seasons at the same time of year. (Even regular flu has a risk of death or serious complications that is orders of magnitude higher than the risk of serious complications from the flu vaccine.)
    But do you still not realize that there are hundreds of different strains of the flu virus??? This vaccine is only GUESSING at which one will be most "popular" in any given year. Seriously consider the fact that, yes the flu is miserable, however, contracting the virus gives you the natural immuntiy against that certain strain for the REST of your life. It is not like a vaccination that will supposedly provide you immunity but only until they request that you get another vaccination, maybe EVERY year. You could just eat healthy and use other NATURAL ways to stay healthy rather than expose yourself to these DENGEROUS vaccinations!!

Old 10-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #18
    tjlhb
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mamaonamission View Post
    But do you still not realize that there are hundreds of different strains of the flu virus??? This vaccine is only GUESSING at which one will be most "popular" in any given year.
    Given that the existing flu reports (including hospitalizations and deaths) have found that the majority of tested cases involve a particular strain called 2009 novel H1N1 (or "swine flu"), the guess is likely to be accurate. Of course, some other kind of flu may come your way, but if a flu does come your way this season, it is most likely to be that one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mamaonamission View Post
    You could just eat healthy and use other NATURAL ways to stay healthy rather than expose yourself to these DENGEROUS vaccinations!!
    The vaccinations are orders of magnitude less risky than the risk of flu causing death or serious complications resulting in hospitalization.

Before vaccines existed, the "natural" way to gain immunity against smallpox was to hope that a "less severe" (though still dangerous by today's standards) strain of smallpox came around and then intentionally get it to gain immunity against smallpox.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #19
    Rob Norman
    (male)

Rob Norman HB User

well, duh, definitely get for high risk groups, baby toddler young children, especially those w/complications
    health workers and TEACHERS !!
    and high risk olders , diabetes etc....

Old 11-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #20
    NCGuy
    (male)

NCGuy HB User

Glad you got your flu shot Erin. There's really nothing to it, and certainly the least painful of all vaccinations - if there's even any pain at all. No flu for you this year! Get your H1N1 shot when you can.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #21
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I am so amazed at my community here where I live. Not only are they NOT testing at all they are giving everyone Tamiflu which should only be given to people with Positive flu nasal swabs...Amazing to me..That Tamiflu should be saved for people who need it.

It is too early for seasonal flu and remember your flu vaccination is only good for 3 months..... Feb is usually our busiest month with Flu B outbreak. Oh wait they are NOW saying it is good for 6 months..That is new.????

2 people in my home had flu like symptoms..I insisted they be swabbed and they were negative for A and B..... a virus is what it was...

If you truely have a flu right now only a nasal swab can tell that. It will be
    H1N1 which has been around for years.... Seasonal is not here yet.

I take olive leaf extract every year and have never had the flu since I was a child......I would never take a Flu shot with my Autoimmune disorders. And I do not have a history of flu. I would never talk anyone out of a flu shot except my own family.

Good luck, wash your hands, rest, eat well, have faith in your immune system.......Oleander

Old 11-15-2009, 05:46 AM   #22
    Rob Norman
    (male)

Rob Norman HB User

boosting immune systems with Epicore (Cosco)
    Chinese mushrooms: Sheitaki, Maitaki , Reishi, (need spelling help here)
    olive leaf extract
    whey powder
    these are standards read over and over again to really make a difference

Closed Thread