It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• short of breath when talking

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-05-2009, 12:21 AM   #1
    Carolynlg
    (female)

Carolynlg HB User
    short of breath when talking

Hi, I'm a 68 year old woman who has had difficulty breathing and talking for the last 5 months. My Dr says it is Anxiety but I have never felt that I am a anxious person. Now however when I try to talk it very often comes out in severe aspirations one or two words at a time and barely more than a whiper. It is frustrating for me and for those trying to listen to me. Occasionally this will be accompanied by a mild dizzziness. I am on 20mg of Fluoxetine daily and also take on an as needed basis .5mg of Lorazepam. This doesn't seem to have much affect at all. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
    justme9
    (female)

justme9 HB User
    Re: short of breath when talking

Hello.
    Shortness of breath could just be your anxiety. Sometimes the start of a new anti depressive medicine can increase your anxiety; but it shouldnt last. I am on the same thing. 20 mg of fluoxetine, and 1 mg of lorazepam 3 times a day.
    What works for me with the shortness of breath and dizziness feeling is deep breathing exercises. In through the nose out through the mouth. Always remember to breathe with your stomach.

Also. these meds can produce dizziness as a side effect and or slurred speech. The lorazepam.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
    Carolynlg
    (female)

Carolynlg HB User

Thanks for answering. I appreciate your taking the time. It is some better. At least on some days. LOL. I guess one day at a time huh?

Old 11-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

fluoxetine or prozac works for some but not others, can take up to 6 weeks to start helping ask about upping the dose of the other med

you need to learn new ways to relax and calm yourself, gentle exercise helps, so does house cleaning

yes stress can stop you taking deep breaths so lie in a hot bath to relax muscles and take deep slow breaths, this may make you dizzy until you get used to it

practise talking out loud when alone, pick up something and read out loud

Old 11-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
    Carolynlg
    (female)

Carolynlg HB User

Thanks for the suggestions. Your reply is appreciated.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
    jennifr313
    (female)

jennifr313 HB User

I also deal with anxiety and was getting short of breath but specifically when I would talk or read to my child. I also had vocal chord lesions whiich happened to be the problem. If it seems worth a look, contact an ENT to rule out a vocal chord issue and drink lots of water, it always helps me (for both issues). Best of luck!

Old 11-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
    Carolynlg
    (female)

Carolynlg HB User

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will check with an ENT. My husband goes to one so that should be an easy deal to get an appointment. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #8
    tiffanyhope12
    (female)

tiffanyhope12 HB User

I told my husband this very same problem today while I was on the phone with him. I tried to explain that talking seemed to take so much effort and I was so out of breath when I was able to talk. Then I got nervous, of course.

I'm always afraid I'm going to stop breathing! Or not enough oxygen is getting to my heart. Then I get palpitations. It's so miserable.

Closed Thread