It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• trying to find the root cause of my problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
    fuzzy101
    (male)

fuzzy101 HB User
    trying to find the root cause of my problems

Hi There,

For about a year and a half i have been trying to find the root cause of my problems. To keep it short i have a constant pressure feeling at the base of my skull, pressure gets so bad that it causes me to feel "stunned" almost like shockwaves in my head as the pressure radiates through my head. Also can feel pressure on bridge of nose sometimes but not too much now seeing as I have rid myself of my anxiety - So it seems like it is the same cause that triggers mysofacial pressure. This also affects my balance somewhat as i feel unsteady due to this feeling of pressure/pulling in my suboccipital region. Symptoms are more present when i sit still. Also a strange sensation when i rotate my head left to right almost like i can feel deep muscles in my neck/behined eye pulling against one another, really odd! I do believe that it is a muscle/nervous system thing as i have a tremor throughout body (small however noticable) and when i tilt my head back i can feel that tremor in my neck so something is causing a certain muscle deep inside neck to be constantly tight.

I wont bore you with what tests I have done but i have had alot and all came back OK - this also fits the theory that if i am right and it is muscle related then correct it wouldnt show up on any of the tests i have had done. Only one i haven't had is EEG which i will push for when i next see my neuro. I have been researching botox injections for things like this - so will also bring this up.

People, this is not anxiety, if people tell you it is, turn a deaf ear. I remember before all this started that i use to stress out about eveything and anything, anxiety was way more apart of me then and why didnt i get these symptoms? Also have had anxiety ruled out by neurologist using biofeedback program. I have also been cleared by an ENT, this is not ear related in my case.

Does anyone else have anything similiar?

Thanks all!

Last edited by fuzzy101; 11-10-2009 at 12:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
    Camelot19
    (female)

Camelot19 HB User
    Re: Imbalance, heavy head, being tossed about when doing anything.

Hello Fuzzy

Yes I have problems similar to yours and unfortunately a lot more than you have described, for the last 2 and a half years. I will be the first to say it's not anxiety because I am tired of hearing that myself.

So far I have been diagnosed with three herniated discs causing cervical spondylosis, had an EMG which did show some neuropathy. However, all the usual treatments have not helped, in fact my symptoms have worsened.

I have burning sensations through my body, feel like I am vibrating with electric shocks at times. My balance problem is now with me all the time and it is so debilitating I seldom leave home for fear of falling. I have fallen several times and broke my foot earlier this year. I am also having seizure like episodes and muscles jerking on a daily basis.

I've seen 3 neurologists and they just look at me like I am crazy when I tell them everything that's going on. One told me to see a counselor which I did for several months but it didn't help much so I stopped when the insurance ran out.

I am on pain medication but still in pain every waking hour. I have tried acupuncture and recently a lot of Chinese herbs which cost a lot of money but to my disappointment didn't help at all. I'm beginning to think I'm never going to get my life back.

Last edited by Camelot19; 11-24-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
    fuzzy101
    (male)

fuzzy101 HB User

Hi Camelot, yes its not anxiety, go to another neurologist/doctor also. Dont bother with councelling, its rediculous. Look into CSF leaks (intracranial hypotension). I have a good forum for this - send me a private message if you want it.

how did all your start? is EMG like EEG? im wondering if qysue's EEG results have osmething to do with it:

"mild abnormality with frontal & central slows, accentuated during hyperventilation" A GP & ENT suspected a tiny mini brain & inner ear nerve has been ruptured"

I go for botox injection into my neck muscles next tuesday, ill let you know how it goes.

Do you get a funny sensation when you turn your head from left to right? like oyu can feel pulling in the back of your head/neck?

Old 11-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
    Camelot19
    (female)

Camelot19 HB User

My problems started with neck pain and just progressed so my doc sent me to a neurologist. An emg is not like an EEG, it's done on the arm or leg to test the nerve responses and it can be quite painful. I had two done, the first was fine but the second one did hurt some. It's done usually after an MRI, especially if the MRI shows problems. I can't say I get a funny sensation turning my head but I do get a lot of pulling in the back of my head and neck. Sometimes it's difficult to turn my head at all. I have had an EEG done but it was okay.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
    fuzzy101
    (male)

fuzzy101 HB User

Cool. Then i would definately look into CSF leak, you sound similar to people ive talked too. Let me kjnow if you want the forum for it, alot of useful info and helpful people

Old 11-29-2009, 10:36 PM   #6
    qysue
    (male)

qysue HB User

Hi Fuzzy101 & Camelot, I think we're having a nerve & muscle or perhabs a hormonal problem ? I feel heaviness, tightness & strong "swaying about" whenever I turn my head left,right,up,down. Thank God I've no pain, just "drunk heavy feelings". Maybe I'm having a "mechanical problem" - a nerve/muscle is "bruised" or out of alignment or pressing against another nerve? Sometimes I feel faint beating (palpitation) of nerves around my ears & heart whenever I do a simple activity, like 10 mins walking/standing, stand up after sitting or even a simple hands stretch. I'm on chinese herbs for 2 mths still no improvement. I'll see another chinese doctor.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
    fuzzy101
    (male)

fuzzy101 HB User

yes agree qysue. I am seeing another nuerologist on the 18th Feb. he specializes in movement disorders. I totally agree with the nerve / muscle thing, i feel tighness and pulling feeling in my neck - base of my skull, i also get swaying and rocking feeling.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:28 AM   #8
    swaying13
    (female)

swaying13 HB User

Hello fuzzy101, how re you feeling after having been to yr doc on 18 Feb. I'm having same imbalance problems like qysue. I have same symptoms and when I lie down all symptoms are gone. Let me know the outcome of yr doctors visit. from Swaying13.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:00 AM   #9
    fuzzy101
    (male)

fuzzy101 HB User

Hi Swaying, i went for a detailed CT scan of neck. Neuro thinks it could be sone malformation or disc problems in cervical area. This ct should show tiny cuts of cervical bones which will give him a better idea of what it could be. will post results.

Last edited by fuzzy101; 02-27-2010 at 12:01 AM.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
    My Gully
    (female)

My Gully HB User
    Re: trying to find the root cause of my problems

Hi fuzzy, sorry for the delay in my replies. I had my operation in June and then my husband had a stroke and had his carotid artery replaced, he just went back for his post op check up, it has been three months now.
    He is ok by the way.
    I found out both of my c6/7 nerves were pinched. The dr opened up the area and fused the joint. I have not had much relief - for a long time it was even worse. The pain seemed to have moved down a notch. He said it would be normal for me to have pain from the middle of my back up to the top of my neck. Also he said the vertigo and nausea were explained by what he saw.

I am not happy by all the accusations I went through to prove myself. He seemed surprised I put up with it the way I did.

I have been back to see him once and he said that it would take till the end of Feb to get relief, well it is the beginning of march and I am not very much better. He also said it would depend on how long the nerves were damaged. That could be well over 15 years.

I also found out something else very interesting. A doctor here in Perth Australia studied several whiplash victims cadavers.They all had complaints with no evidence of injury on their xrays. When he did an autopsy he found that the rips and tears were there. It seemed that the injury was masked because the part that was injured fell back upon itself and did not show. I hope I explained this well because it means a lot to someone who is looking for a reason for pain and other symptoms. That means like myself if the doctors looked at their spines they may have not suffered all of their lives with pain.

- I hope you are much better. I use ice packs now with motillium for the nausea. The vertigo is much better. Many Blessings and Best wishes, Kathy

Old 05-25-2010, 05:17 AM   #11
    qysue
    (male)

qysue HB User

Hi fuzzy101 from Swaying13

whats the result of your ct scan of your neck?

I did acupuncture & took chineseherbs but I still feel heaviness on lower back of my head with force pushing me forward when I sit upright, & pulling me down when I bend forward. I feel better when I lie down. I also feel swaying or as if I'm drunk walking.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #12
    lilmissheather
    (female)

lilmissheather HB User

i have very similar sypmtoms, post ischemic stroke.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:00 AM   #13
    My Gully
    (female)

My Gully HB User

Hi Fuzzy, was wondering how you are. I still am having most of the nerve prob's as I described before. I hope you are feeling better and have found some relief

Old 03-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #14
    JustCurios
    (female)

JustCurios HB User
    Lightbulb Re: trying to find the root cause of my problems

Hello there!

I have read your post regarding "finding the root cause of my problems" have you ever experienced head trauma? Often times with head trauma the effects are illustrated as you have described and the test neurological and others will reflect as normal. I would suggest that you keep track of these symptoms, as they will be greatly needed, as they may grow worse. Just a thought.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:56 PM   #15
    qysue
    (male)

qysue HB User

To JustCurios

Many thanks for your concern. My head heaviness and “swaying about” is increasing. I’ve documented my symptoms daily & lately an Australian visting neurologist said I might be having Spontaneous Intracranial Hypotension (SIH) - is a condition where a patient gets postural headaches due to a leak of the Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) in the spinal membrane. The headaches only occur when the patient is upright, and gradually disappear when the patient is lying down. I’ve this symptom though mine is heaviness dragging me down from the head. I was asked to do a Lumbar Puncture to test the CSF and if confirmed SIH, to do a blood patch to seal the leak. Unfortunately this is not heard of in my country. From the Internet I found out that the leak can heal by itself by taking food with collagen. So I am eating lots of sea cucumbers, pig leg tendons, chicken feet tendons and hopefully it helps. I feel the SIH leak causes damage also to my inner ears resulting in my feeling “tossing about” (swaying imbalance). I am Internetting for more info related SIH-inner ears. If anyone has some info to share re this I will be very grateful to hear that.

from Swaying13

Closed Thread