It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Wife's Ferritin dropped 100 points in 32 days

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
    Michael46
    (male)

Michael46 HB User
    Wife's Ferritin dropped 100 points in 32 days

After receiving iron infusions and getting ferritin up to 253, it has dropped to 153 in just 32 days.

Does anyone know if this is normal or what it means?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
    cjduel
    (female)

cjduel HB User
    Re: Wife's Ferritin dropped 100 points in 32 days

Ferritin levels reflect the body's amount of stored iron. If the serum ferritin is dropping (though 153 would still be in the normal range) after iron IVs, your wife may have inadequate iron absorption or may still be losing iron due to heavy blood loss: in pre-menopausal women, heavy menstruation is a frequent cause and GI bleeds are also a common cause.
    Do you know what her ferritin level was before the iron IV? Have the doctors done any tests like an upper or lower GI study that would help determine if there is anything abnormal there?

Old 12-07-2009, 02:29 AM   #3
    Michael46
    (male)

Michael46 HB User

Thank you for your reply.
    When tested in June, her ferritin was 6. After 2 or 3 weeks of iron supplements and before the infusions, her ferritin had climbed to 11.

She has been to the GI, she has nonerosive gastritis but everything else is clear.

She had an ablation just before the infusions and that has stopped the heavy periods.

So you are saying that if the ferritin has dropped that much it might mean she isn't absorbing the iron but instead it is being flushed from her system?

Old 12-08-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
    cjduel
    (female)

cjduel HB User

If she has impaired iron absorption, she might not be getting the full benefit of the iron.
    If the serum ferritin initially went up, her body was absorbing at least some of the iron, but if it dropped again fairly quickly (and given her previously very low ferritin level), then it sounds like whatever originally caused the low ferritin, like menstrual bleeding, a GI bleed, or some other cause, is still going on. If she has normal absorption of iron, and the ferritin keeps dropping, she has to be losing iron from somewhere. I would think the doctors still need to find the cause of the iron deficiency anemia and treat that. Then she would be able to get iron therapy and her system would incorporate the iron into the making of new red blood cells as normally occurs.
    I wish I could be more help. I just know that treating any anemia without determining the cause is ineffective.

Closed Thread