It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• NeilMed Sinus Rinse

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
    Constantly sick
    (female)

Constantly sick HB User
    NeilMed Sinus Rinse

I am using this product directed by my allergist but for some reason it causes dizziness when I use it and then severe congestion to the point where my entire head hurts. I have tried different temps of water, tilting my head different ways... nothing helps and regardless I get congestion. It almost feels like it hurts to breathe different temps of air as well.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: NeilMed Sinus Rinse

Several people have reported on here having issues with this product. I think the regular saline rinses might be better for you in this case. Perhaps it's a preservative or additive in this particular product that's the problem. I know that some saline sprays have preservatives and I can't use those. I stick to Ayr and it works well for me.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

hmm.. there are no addititives or preservatives in that solution so I wonder if what is happening is the solution is getting stuck in your nose causing problems? If my sinuses are inflammed sometimes I know that when doing the sinus rinse the solution will get "trapped" and doesn't drain causing aweful headaches. In your case maybe it's affecting your ear causing the dizziness. Either way I would stop it and like Titchou said, just use a saline spray. I really like Simply Saline, it's more expensive than your basic nasal spray but I like it better.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
    I think the regular saline rinses might be better for you in this case. Perhaps it's a preservative or additive in this particular product that's the problem. I know that somesaline sprays have preservatives and I can't use those.
    NeilMed's SinusRinse is just a "regular" saline rinse. It contains no preservatives and the mixture is salt and sodium bicarbonate that matches the body's salinity exactly.

In all likelihood, if someone is having issues it's either because they're rinsing using too much force, water that is too cold (which commonly causes headaches), or the water they're using contains chemical irritants like fluoride and chlorine.

By the way, the pre-mixed bottles of AYR contain a very controversial preservative called benzalkonium chloride that is suspected of causing cilia dysfunction in the mucus membranes of the nose. Almost all pre-mixed saline product contain benzalkonium chloride which is why many doctors recommend products like SinusRinse and others that you mix at home (and which don't contain any preservatives).

Old 12-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
    Constantly sick
    (female)

Constantly sick HB User

The water I am using is treated water (soft water). Would that make a difference? I have tried different pressure/force as well as using different temps of water... but I haven't tried using other water that doesn't come from our faucet. I didn't use it today and have yet to have a headache or the feeling that my sinuses are too "dry." (You know... that feeling you have when you breathe in cold winter air. Like your sinuses are really open to the point it hurts to breathe in.)

Old 12-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Could be the water. I can't stand to bathe in water that has a softener in it....makes me itch and my hair feels greasy. You could try bottled water and see if that makes a difference.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:18 AM   #7
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
    The water I am using is treated water (soft water). Would that make a difference?
    Yes, that could make a BIG difference (although first of all, I should have confirmed that you are adding the contents of the blue SinusRinse packets to your irrigation mixture every time you irrigate?) If you're not using the mixture in the packets, or are using the green packets, that could explain your problems.

Back to the soft water question - most water softening systems use salt (sodium) as part of the softening process and, depending on how hard your water is to begin with, the amount of sodium in your water, combined with the sodium in the NeilMed packets, can produce a hypertonic saline solution (which is a fancy way of saying that the saline solution has a higher salt content than your body does).

Hypertonic irrigation tends to dry out the sinuses and pull water out of the tissues, which can make your sinuses feel more dry and open than they should be (for some people hypertonic irrigation is a good thing, which is why NeilMed actually sells the green packets, which contain a mixture for a hypertonic solution).

It is possible that the sodium in your soft water, combined with the mixture in the blue NeilMed packets, is creating a hypertonic saline mixture when you irrigate and that would cause exactly the symptoms you're describing. You might try irrigating with distilled or filtered water from the grocery store (doesn't need to be anything expensive, just not softened).

Old 12-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
    Constantly sick
    (female)

Constantly sick HB User

Thanks for the response! yes I am using the pre-mixed packets that came with the sample. I went a day without it, and then today I tried using it again with mixing my own solution. I didn't use as much salt on accident and still had the same problem. Also, about an hour to two hours later, my nose just randomly gushes all the water that didn't get cleared out of my sinuses while in the shower. So disgusting and embarrassing! I don't have an appointment with the allergist til the 18th of Dec so I am going to just tough it out and keep experimenting until then. I drink bottled water only so I will try that tomorrow.
    So far I just deal with the pain and pressure and embarrassment and take a Sudafed to help alleviate the pain a little bit.
    Thanks for the advice all!

Old 12-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
    Greenjuice
    (male)

Greenjuice HB User

Water makes a big big difference since its not being filtered through your organs and draining right through your sinuses.

Use Distilled water, or filtered water. I use distilled (99cents) and it works great. Also, as I'm flooding my sinuses I tilt my head, and go through emotions and look in different corners, that way it helps get through all your frontal cavities. After each nasal rinse I jump up and down a bit to get it flowing. May look and feel a bit funny, but thats what does the job for me, and its worth it.

NeilMed Sinus rinse has saved so many stressful complications. I'm sold for life

Old 12-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
    MarkGordon
    (male)

MarkGordon HB User

I use distilled water and the Dr. Grossan machine with the Grossan Breathe Ease XL packets.

The NeilMed stuff was too rough on me. It just seems as if my nasal passages are too sensitive for it.

Anyways, just an idea if you wanted to switch to something else. I've had good results since switching.

Good luck!

Last edited by moderator2; 12-10-2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites, for any reason

Closed Thread