It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Pregnant Addict needs Help...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
    leilanbabies
    (female)

leilanbabies HB User
    Question Pregnant Addict needs Help...

I am addicted to opiates. I start with that because it seems to be the single most important thing in my life. I am also 25 years old and a mother of 3 with another due in July and recently married to the love of my life who happens to be the kindest most understanding sensitive but a$$ kicking motivated man Ive ever been with. Im not going to tell you how I got addicted because its pretty obvious but I will tell you that its been the better part of 4 years that I've been on Opiates. I recently became a client at the suboxone clinic which was going great until i failed miserably because....You guessed it, I'm an addict. I smoke pot for my anxiety, it helps me sleep. Also, I was in the hospital on 2 separate occasions last month due to Severe vomiting, stomach pain, fever and chills. They had me on 3 different narcotics while admitted for pain management and then gave me a prescription for percocet (YAY) when I Left. So I did what any other opiate junkie would do and I filled it, quit the suboxone and am now back on pills. I failed to tell my nurse/ counselor at the program what happened because as an addict, I didnt think she would believe me. So at my appt last week, I brought in my hospital records from my stays during those 2 times and showed her that I wasnt using, It was a legitimate issue tended to by medical professionals and then I told her I was pregnant. At which time she pointed out to me that A. I failed my tox screen, B. My THC level also was higher than the last time (tsk tsk) and C. that Dr. Suboxone Guy does not prescribe to pregnant women. So then they refer me to one of their other doctors at a different office who, BIG SURPRISE never calls me back. So, now I am at wits end, buying suboxone off the street to try to stay clean and stave the withdrawals from all the other pills I have been buying ( OC, PERC, DILAUDID). Soooooo, my questions are these: WHAT CAN I DO? WHAT SHOULD I DO? WHO SHOULD I GO TO? I live in NH and my PCP nor my OB know I am an addict. as a matter of fact, I got REALLY addicted when my PCP put me on a pain mgmt contract because I DO actually have chronic back pain which is another WHOLE FN story. I'll deal with that after I get clean. Thanks to everyone who looks at this or responds with helpful advice or information. God Bless You.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User
    Re: Pregnant Addict needs Help...

Hi leilanbabies - welcome to the board. I'm not going to be kind or sympathetic at all when it comes to children, especially babies!!! You need to think about your baby FIRST and how your addiction is affecting it. You could be doing permanent damage and you need to stop NOW what you are doing to your baby!!!! Get clean in a detox center and you need to stay that way and be a mother for your child, family and your husband. You already know what you have to do. Spend the time looking for detox centers in your area and start detoxing TODAY! Not tomorrow, but today!

Old 12-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
    leilanbabies
    (female)

leilanbabies HB User

In this area, they only take people who are referred by law enforcement or probation programs unless you have uber insurance which i don't. I have medicare. I don't expect sympathy but some helpful shoving in the right direction would be nice. And in case you missed the part about me being an addict- I AM. I DO think about my children and my family. Unfortunately, the power of the drugs over ride that which is why I came here looking for support, not criticism. Thank You anyway.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello

Well.

You are really in deep here. Addiction is, indeed, a powerful thing. However, it is not so powerful that we can not overcome it. I need to tell you gently that the first thing that needs to change is the attitude. The statements about using weed are pretty belligerent for someone who wants to get clean. Too many excuses about why you used the drugs. All of them. Instead of calling your doctor when opiates were prescribed in the hospital, you took them and then rejoiced in getting a script of percocets. You are trying to do damage control now and it is difficult to do that without becoming commited to a total sense of honesty.

I would also like to let you know that there certainly are detox and rehab centers in NH that accept medicare. A quick search on Medicare and Addiction in New Hampshire led me to many of them.

If up to this point there is recognition that you have been doing what every other addict does, then there needs to be recognition that it is time to stop it. Put your computer skills to use and do a search for a detox center that takes medicare. Call Medicare and ask them where to go. Call a helpline from the front of your phone book that will lead you to help.

There is much support to be had on this board. I received tons of it when I was going through withdrawal myself. I believe that if you post honestly without harshness and blame on others, you will find what you are looking for here.

Best wishes
    reach

Old 12-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

Sorry for being a bit rough (bad day for me today), but you really need to do what is right for your child and family. Detox centers are available for Medicare and Access patients. Even check with your hospitals if they can help out. You really need to talk to your doctor about what is the right detox plan for the child. You don't want to start going into withdrawals and have your baby going through them as well or start on a tapering plan that causes complications for the baby. I believe that only a qualified physician will really have the right answers for you and what is good for the baby. Good Luck.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:17 AM   #6
    youngNhurting
    (female)

youngNhurting HB User

hello and welcome to the board..i completely agree with the others..they are just speaking the truth...the way you are talking you seem like you really don't want to or your not ready to come clean...i was pregnant at 24 and i was on pain meds...i know its hard to stop them especially having to go thru withdrawals but you can do it...i did it...you have to put yourself in the right frame of mind to be able to do it...its not about you right now its about your baby and you have to put that baby first..if you stay on everything your on when your baby is born that baby will go thru withdrawals and you know what they are like so do you really want your baby to experience that? i'm not trying to be harsh i'm just being real you have to stop thinking about yourself and wanting to get high and start thinking about the baby and how that baby will suffer when its born...i was able to stop so i know you can...and if you truly are wanting to get clean you will find help there are so many resources available so take advantage of them please for your baby...and did the hospital know you were pregnant cause i seriously doubt they would send you home with a script for percocet...it seems like you are coming up with excuses to be on the pain meds...i'm sure you are in pain but you just gotta suck it up for now...when i was pregnant i ended up getting kidney stones which are very painful..i also developed hydronephrosis in my right kidney...it caused my kidney to become swollen which is painful it was caused because that kidney was being blocked from draining to my bladder so because of that i was getting infections in it so i ended up having a metal stent inserted between it and my bladder to open it up so it would drain and that is not a very comfortable thing to have in you it caused alot of pain...i also have 2 herniated discs...and at the time i had already had 3 surgeries on my left knee before i became pregnant and it tore again right before i became pregnant but obviously could not have surgery to repair it so i just had to deal with it thru my pregnancy which sucked cause it was extremely painful and was full of fluid...so i dealt with all those painful things thru my pregnancy and did not take any pain meds...thats why i am saying if i can do it i know you can

Last edited by Administrator; 02-12-2010 at 10:51 PM.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
    Secrets1983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Secrets1983 HB User

Hello and Welcome!

I don't know where to begin with this situation but I will just start out by saying that as hard as this is going to be, you have got to contact your dr. and get a safe tapering plan set into place immediatly! That baby is going to suffer so badly otherwise and I can't imagine you would be okay with that.

I don't say any of this to be mean and I am not judging you. My husband and I are trying to have a baby and I have been using.. Major relapse! I know in my heart it is not okay for me to get pregnant in this condition. So... today I found the courage to put an end to my cycle and we can do this together if you will just take the leap of faith and grab my hand and trust us to help. I have got to stop using and I started tapering today so that I can get my body and mind healthy so that when I become pregnant (if I am given that blessing after all my mistakes) , my baby will be healthy and have a Mother who is not a mess. You can achieve this too. I just know you can.

Are you willing to take my offer? We can't do these things alone... that is for sure. You and your baby and other child are worth this fight. Please on behalf of your unborn child, PLEASE make a choice to turn your life around. Many people out there would give literally their left arm to have a baby and you are not well.... Your baby is in severe danger.

Let's do this together... From one Mother to a WANNA be Mother.... The offer stands.
    May God protect and bless you and your babies!

Old 12-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
    leilanbabies
    (female)

leilanbabies HB User

Ive been told time and time again that basically there are other people that need help more than I do. Plus they say they HAVE to take the referred people first. I will however do that search and see what I can come up with. And dont think that I dont take full responsibility for this. Yes drugs are powerful but only to the one who holds them. And to hold them, you have to find them. Which takes effort. I want to quit. I dont blame anyone else. ALL I WANT is someone to give me some ideas on how to go about this. Thank you so much for your response and information

Old 12-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #9
    Secrets1983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Secrets1983 HB User

Hello again.

I guess if you want some idea's to start out. I would get a plan together to taper down. Maybe we can help you out with that if you tell us what and how much you are taking and we can start from there.

If rehab is not working out right now, maybe seeing an addictionalogist or a therapist would help.

What do you think about that?

Old 12-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #10
    leilanbabies
    (female)

leilanbabies HB User

[My daughter did NOT have withdrawals. I know the risks and the benefits of pain medication, THAT is something Im quite well educated on. How do I stop being an addict AND be pain free? I am not stupid. I have 3 children. I was on narcotics my WHOLE last pregnancy and my daughter did not spend even one extra day in the hospital and she is absolutely perfect. So instead of demenaing me and telling me about how I should care about my baby. I obviously do or I wouldnt have said anything to ANYONE. Just guide me ibn the right direction. Thanks. Sorry about the attitude but I feel just like I do when I see my PCP, looked down upon and treated the same. I am not an invalid. I have been thru school, college, and many life experiences. Please dont treat me like that.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-12-2010 at 10:52 PM.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #11
    leilanbabies
    (female)

leilanbabies HB User

Look, I am sorry if I come off as rude or unreachable but Im just trying to gather information. I can not go to rehab. I have no one to take care of my children and with all that has gone on in my life, I honestly dont think I could survive it. Let me add that I am bipolar, major depressive, have anxiety, PTSD and adjustment disorder. ALSO, I have chronic pain which no one seems to be able to diagnose or treat correctly. Also, I am a drug addict. Who the hell can actually help me? My Dr makes me feel like the biggest scumbag on earth when i even call her for me inhaler. I am moving to the seacoast, so maybe there will be better healthcare out there? who knows? i dont and no one I Know seems to either. Please, just info, or guidance, NO JUDGMENT. Thank You.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #12
    leilanbabies
    (female)

leilanbabies HB User

Secrets- I dont have a prescription so tapering thru my dr is not an option. I have been buying suboxone to stop the oc withdrawals have been off oc for week, still taking VERY LITTLE amount of subox. But what happens when I run out?

Old 12-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
    Secrets1983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Secrets1983 HB User

Okay, I see your situation more clearly now.....

Is there a way for you to get a prescription for pain meds from your PCP so you can use them to taper or is that not possible? I am just trying to brain storm idea's of how we can come up with a good taper plan... Or... can you get more sub so that we can help you come up with a taper for that??? I know there are a lot of people who look at this board who know about suboxone. In fact, one of my dear friends that I met here has some experience with that medication so I could ask her her thoughts on a taper plan.

I am sorry you are running into a brick wall when trying to get any addiction help. As for people making you feel judged. I understand. I have felt that way many times with a reply from people here BUT.... sometimes people have a hard time putting themself in "your" shoes and the advice they give is easier said than done of course. I know certain things are hard to hear, believe me..... It's kind of part of the crappy package of being an addict. Dr's and certain people will make us feel uncomfortable but we need to just move past it.

Reply when you can so we can help get a game plan together for you because I think once you have a plan, I think you will feel better about the situation. Hang in there, this is one heck of a battle but you are NOT alone.

Blessings!

Old 12-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #14
    youngNhurting
    (female)

youngNhurting HB User

sorry if i came off as judging you cause i'm not...i was in the same situation and i know your thinking how can i know what your going thru right? well i am also bipolar,manic depressive have severe anxiety and had PTSD at that time bad cause i was just car jacked and he punched me...when i got pregnant i was on lamictal for the bipolar, lexapro for the depression and anxiety, and valium for the anxiety and to help me sleep cause of nightmares..i was also taking percocet...i had to stop all the meds especially the lamictal cause it can cause problems with the unborn baby...and you know how it is being off your meds if your bipolar i was almost commited twice cause of my mental state which was horrible cause i was going thru withdrawals and the lovely mood changes having bad manic highs and downs...so i was not attacking your intelligence at all...but it is a fact that these meds pass to your baby and thats what made me stop...i was looked down on constantly...so since you can't do the rehab thing your other choices are either stop cold turkey and that depends on how much your taking now or taper down but start doing it now...maybe you could talk to your pcp about whats going on and maybe he or she will help you...but i think it could be possible also that if you tell your pcp whats going on they might just baker act you cause they will feel your harming your baby and i know you don't want that to happen...its happened to me and it sucks trust me..so thats a tough one...i know how doctors can be so you would have to be sure you can go to your pcp with this and not risk being baker acted...my suggestion is to either just go cold turkey and go thru the withdrawals which will end thats the way i did it...or just taper off...but to get help on here everyone needs to know how much you are taking right now and then someone can give you advice on how to taper down from that cause i'm not sure how to do the taper thing cause i went cold turkey...but i know alot of people on here do know how and will be more then happy to help you...i wish you all the best and i'm sorry that i came off that way

Old 12-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #15
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

The reason why I said you need to work with a physician, I don't know how withdrawals or suboxone reacts while being pregnant. Only a doctor who is familiar with drug addiction and pregnancies can really give you the right advise. You need to understand how your plan will affect the baby first.

From what I have read, you should NOT use suboxone while being pregnant. That is why you need to get specific treatment NOW. Call a doctor, a detox center, make arrangements for someone to take care of your kids, do whatever you need to do and save your baby NOW.

Closed Thread