It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• new here, abnormal pap showing ASCUS

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
    a3ngele
    (female)

a3ngele HB User
    Question new here, abnormal pap showing ASCUS

Hi all,
    Im new to this board, I am almost 23, engaged to be married in June, and finishing up school. I have been with my fiance for 6 years and have never had an abnormal pap until this year. My dr. called and said i had an abnormal pap that came back with some ASCUS cells and i am also HPV positive. She has me scheduled for a colposcopy to investigate these abnormal cells. How worried should i be? I have been under a LOT of stress lately, could being under all this stress have caused the HPV to come up? I know it can lie dormant until it finds a down spot in your immune system. I am just super nervous about all of this new info and having the colposcopy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: new here, abnormal pap showing ASCUS

At your age, I'd think that the ASCUS is very low level of cellular changes. The colpo will help the doctor determine the extent of the changes. The good news is that at your age, your body is likely to reverse the cellular changes of even CIN I (mild dysplasia).

How worried should you be? I can't really answer that. I know that you should be diligent in always getting your pap and knowing what your results are. Even if your body reserves cellular changes from HPV, you could have a problem in the future. The more you know, the more you can inform your future doctor(s), the more proactive you and your doctor can be.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
    a3ngele
    (female)

a3ngele HB User

Hi thanks for the info and reassurance. I am very proactive with my health, I go to the dr for my paps every year and have never had problems until now. I do have another question though. Is ASCUS and CIN1 the same dx? and if not what are the differences? I am a bit clueless right now with all of this new info. I have been researching on the internet tons since this has happened.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
    rosana726
    (female)

rosana726 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by a3ngele View Post
    Hi thanks for the info and reassurance. I am very proactive with my health, I go to the dr for my paps every year and have never had problems until now. I do have another question though. Is ASCUS and CIN1 the same dx? and if not what are the differences? I am a bit clueless right now with all of this new info. I have been researching on the internet tons since this has happened.
    I had abnormal paps that showed ASCUS, the colposcopy diagnosis was CIN 1. so I guess it could be the same but I would think ASCUS could be determined to be Cin 2 or more also. I just went through this over the last year...2 ASCUS paps, CIN 1 with HPV changes on colpo, decided to take the wait and see approach, had another PAP that was ASCUS and just found out yesterday my most recent was NORMAL! Every PAP was negative for high risk HPV. Having just gone through this I would say don't worry til there is really something to worry about!! I worried tons and that doesn't help!! I know...much easier said then done.

Last edited by rosana726; 12-10-2009 at 04:34 PM. Reason: added more

Old 12-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The pap does not diagnose; it is a screening test, not a diagnostic test. It can give results like ASCUS. Upon further investigation and tests (like a colpo) a closer look and possibly a larger sample is taken. From there, a diagnosis is given. CIN I (mild dysplasia), CIN II (moderate dysplasia), etc are results from colpos and biopsies (and/or other tests) (as far as I understand it).

Old 12-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
    a3ngele
    (female)

a3ngele HB User

Thanks for the info! You are all so helpful here. Im not quite so stressed out about my situation anymore....but i am still a bit apprehensive about my colpo...Im just a worrier

Old 01-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
    a3ngele
    (female)

a3ngele HB User
    Had Colpo Jan 6, 10

Hi All,
    I had my colpo on Wednesday...It was NOT a pleasant experience at all.... I hope everything comes back normal because i definately do not want to have another colpo ever again...haha I am usually pretty tolerant of pain, but this was very uncomfortable...not to mention the lovely after effects bleeding and discharge..Anyway im hoping for normal results should know something this next week! fingers crossed

Old 01-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
    karensk
    (female)

karensk HB User
    Re: Had Colpo Jan 6, 10

I wish you the best of luck with the results. I, too, despise colpos, they are horrible for me personally and I never want one again either.

A few suggestions for you would be to make sure you get plenty of folic acid, especially if you are on birth control pills. Some people have tried a supplement called beta-mannan, although I have no personal experience with that. Extra vitamin C and E can help bolster your immune function as well.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm glad you have the colpo and biopsy (I assume) behind you. I assume you are feeling better now and the discharge is almost done. That stuff is gross. blech!

Do you have an appointment to get your results next week or will you be calling to get them? Let us know how things turn out.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:04 AM   #10
    roseyellow
    (female)

roseyellow HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by a3ngele View Post
    Hi all,
    Im new to this board, I am almost 23, engaged to be married in June, and finishing up school. I have been with my fiance for 6 years and have never had an abnormal pap until this year. My dr. called and said i had an abnormal pap that came back with some ASCUS cells and i am also HPV positive. She has me scheduled for a colposcopy to investigate these abnormal cells. How worried should i be? I have been under a LOT of stress lately, could being under all this stress have caused the HPV to come up? I know it can lie dormant until it finds a down spot in your immune system. I am just super nervous about all of this new info and having the colposcopy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Yrs.ago,I was in the same situation.Alot of times it is nothing.But,it's best to get it checked out jsut in case.I ended up with an early stage of cervical cancer,which was treated and no returns of it for over 8 yrs.now.The colposcopy is similar to getting a pap done.At one point,I was 3-5 paps done a year.Do you smoke?Have you slept around before?Were you sexually active at a young age?Sorry to be so nosey but those could be factors,bec.they were in my case.Yor pap findings aren't unusual at all...Good luck...

Last edited by roseyellow; 01-10-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: spelling error

Old 01-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #11
    a3ngele
    (female)

a3ngele HB User

PP I am a non-smoker and have only slept with 2 people and have been in a monogamous relationship for 6 years now. So not sure if those things play into my situation but just wanted to answer your ??

Hi all,
    I wish I could tell you that I got good results from my colpo, but my doc called this afternoon and said I have areas of CIN II and is scheduling me for LEEP to get this taken care of as soon as possible. I am so nervous and cannot believe this is happening to me at 22. Its just such a scary situation. will let you all know when my next procedure is. Thanks for the encouragement.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #12
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Unfortunately, it only takes one partner (and not even for intercourse - even foreplay can transmit HPV), then one can have these types of results.

I'm sad to hear you are having to have a LEEP, but I hope it is diagnostic AND treatment!

Have you scheduled the LEEP?

Old 01-16-2010, 03:58 AM   #13
    a3ngele
    (female)

a3ngele HB User

going to the dr monday to discuss options hopefully we get this taken care of as soon as possible! im a nervous wreck....

Closed Thread