It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Mucus on back of throat fatigue and LPR

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
    dixdix05
    (male)

dixdix05 HB User
    Mucus on back of throat fatigue and LPR

Here are my symptoms which I have been "enjoying' for the past five months.
    Post nasal drop. Huge amount of mucus in the back of my throat which is virtualy impossible to remove. Sometime I feel as if I have a fever (but I do not have it!), cold hands and feet, muscle ache, fatigue; I feel unusally tired and sleepy. Things get a bit better when I excercise but only for a little while. My throat is constantly irritated and looks veiny. Sometimes it feels scratchy and hurts.
    My mouth taste a bit bitter.
    I occasionally have headache but do not know if it is connected to this issue.
    strangely there re period of the days in which I feel a bit better and perionds in which I feel very down. It is really difficult to see a clear pattern. I do not know what triggers the symptoms, which is extremely frustrating.
    Here is what I have been doing:
    I did a complete blood test and I have never been better on paper.
    I tried Nasonex and salty water in the nose, both helpful in the beginning but not anymore. I thught it was the weather and my being more prone to sore throat on cold wehather but living in florida that was somewhat unlikely to be the cause. I went to see an ENT. I did some allergy test. I tested positive to dust mites and mold (who hasn't?). six months ago I accidentally ate peanuts that had fallen on the carpet and had been put back in the jar. However, I am not quite sure that is the cause of my problems. I am taking allergy shots. It has been two months and so far no improvement. I tried sporadically with some anthistamine: no effect.
    I was told it could be food related. I am allergic to bananas and avocados. I doubt they are responsible for my symptoms. However, I am willing to accept the idea that the source of my problem is my stomach.
    I was told to follow the caveman diet and the elimination diet. I tried, but not religiously enough because so far no improvement. I tried the corn-free diet. Someone suggested LPR either induced by a problem with the sphincter or by food intolerance. I will try to schedule a 24 Ph test next week. Before taking PPI I want to make sure that is the cause of my problem. I actualy did try but stopped as soon as I saw some improvement. I should have continued probably but I am always terrified that I might become too dependant of those drugs. I have to say I experienced few symptom-free days while not taking anything. I have also read that a possible cause could be yeast overgrowth (candida). Again, before taking medication I want to try to get tested (blood test and stool test). I have been taking apple cider vinegar for almost a month with no tangible results. I am starting again to take probiotics and digestive enzime. Anyone who experienced the same symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
    booger36
    (male)

booger36 HB User
    Re: Mucus on back of throat fatigue and LPR

You very well may have Candida. I had a lot of those symptoms too. One way to find out is to try the candida diet. Try to cut out all of your sugars and see how that goes. If your sympoms become worse than you might have it. That's the die off. One thing is if you do have it and take a ppi it will make it worse. I would go get tests done to see though.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
    bimik
    (female)

bimik HB User

Hi dixdix. How are you ? I have LPR but I also have fever like symtoms which makes me feel very tired. I wanted to know if you figured out what it was for you and did you manage to find treatment?

Old 05-05-2011, 03:11 AM   #4
    worrywartmom39
    (female)

worrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB User

I am really curious if severe acid reflux disease, after a number of years can turn to LPR. It is just strange that I am pretty certain I have developed this with all of my symptoms being exactly like everyone else's, except for a couple of minor differences. Before you realized it was LPR were you worried it was something else? I know I was filled with extreme anxiety when all of this started! It has been a little over a month now. I drink coffee alot though and I am trying to quit smoking but I am not really smoking at all, 4 a day possibly. Is this aggravating my condition?

Old 05-06-2011, 01:58 AM   #5
    dixdix05
    (male)

dixdix05 HB User

I have been researching a lot and went to a naturopath. I believe that I am suffering of candida and leaky gut syndrome. The nature of my problem is a fungus in my system. I have stopped worried about how I got it; it could have been antibiotics, anxiety and stress or maybe just got it from someone which is absolutley possible (oral sex with a woman who has vaginal yeast infection). My symptoms have have, overall, decresed in intensity. Diet and supplements helped. I avoid sugar (even that from the fruit should be aboided) and possibly carbs. It takes time, effort and discipline. I tried a probiotic called 'syntol', which helped. Google candida and leaky guy. You wll be able to find a large amount of info. When and if you do the diet and take natural antifungal, please keep in mind that one thing you need to incorporate in your daily routine is an activity that makes you SWEAT. After my workout I go the the sauna for 10-15 minutes. It helps flush out the toxins. Also, make sure you have bowel momvement every day. Consider periodic colon cleanse as well. The condition is fixable but once again, you need discipline. I am still figthing it.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
    bimik
    (female)

bimik HB User

It is great that you found a treatment which helps you. I wonder how did your naturopath diagnoze that you have candida? I also go to sauna after my dance classes and take probiotics. The symtoms that I still have is mucus feeling in the throat, weird raw throat feeling and low grade fever like symtoms. I am being tested for gluten intolerance now and trying to do a 24 h ph study. I can't say no to sugar I am also taking enzyme ssometimes. It is impossible. I already don't eat chocolate and coffee. I know fluconazole helps to beat yeast but it always is betetr not to use drugs. I also feel like my symtoms started ater drinking antibiotics. I am gald to hear that you are feeling better !

Old 05-07-2011, 03:45 AM   #7
    dixdix05
    (male)

dixdix05 HB User

Bimik:

The naturopath diagnose me with leaky gut and candida using the muscle test. you can look it up on the internet. It is certainly better than my explanation! AH AH AH! But if I may say, you do needed. Just assume you have candida and leaky guy! I am not joking! LPR, Acid reflux, food allergies, sore throat and all the other symptoms are just consequences of these two basic issues.

I KNOW IT WILL BE HARD, I WARN YOU, but, please, avoid sugar at all coast. Last week I was so fed up with having to cope with all those symptoms I decided to follow the diet drastically. This week I am feeling...I am almost afraid to write this...perfect. Go with meat (even fatty meat, it does not matter), fish veggies and allowed nuts ONLY!!! No carbs, no fruits. Clearly, no sugar! Only exception: quinoa and brown rice but it is better if you stay away from those too. YOU cannot go wrong. It is not that you have much choise! AH AH! I eat a lot. I am not exaggerating. I know the concept of a lot is relative but I do eat a lot (a pound of meat, even more). I eat my meals very slowly because if you have leaky gut that helps the digestion. We cook everything with extra vergin olive oil, garlic, onions, and salt. I AM SERIOUS! 90% of the sauces we have in the fridge...I threw them away.. No other sauces. It is fairly easy for me because I come from italy and that is how I have been eating my meals all my life. Ihave always complained about all the sauces that my wife used to cook! I love pasta, pizza and bread but I am not going to indulge at least for another couple of weeks. Go to the sauna, excercise and try to go to the bathroom daily. If you read my initial post, my symptoms were strong and very debilitating. I do feel great this week. It is all in your diet. I am not sure how long I would need to do that but as long as I am feeling well I am willing to continue. Forget about the enzime and the supplement. Try the diet and be ready to struggle the first few days both because the die-off effect and because, with no sugar and carbs yu will feel a little light headed. Do not give up!

Old 05-09-2011, 12:51 AM   #8
    bimik
    (female)

bimik HB User

Hi dixdix. Thnx for the detailed reply. My symtoms vary so much day to day, and one day I feel good, the other day I feel bad. It's all confusing me, so I hope after 24 h study I will know if this is LPR causing my problems. I will probably know in a few days the results of my gluten intolerance test. I mostly eat healthy but I love fruit and sweets. I don't have much problems with digestion, only once for a month and a half (which was awhile ago) I had vey bad indigestion. I will try to reduce my sugar intake and see how it goes. Right now I am having a very weird feeling under my neck, in the left part feels like my tonsills. I just got my TSH results, my hormones are normal. So it is either LPR or tonsillitis causing this. I definetely have some reflux which damages my throat but I don't know if I have tonsillitis as well. I do go to sauna after dancing, it helps me a lot and I chew DGLs. Now I am also sucking some throat lozengenes. If it is confirmed that I have bad LPR I might try magnesium supplements and B vitamins before I get on PPIs. Good luck to us !

Old 05-10-2011, 04:09 AM   #9
    dixdix05
    (male)

dixdix05 HB User

bimik:

even my symptoms come and go and change from day to day, even within the same day. I have absolutely no problem with digestion. I go t the bathroom regularly. So imagine my surprise when I was told that my problem is in my gut. Very hard to believe. Please, look into leaky guy syndrome. intestinal walls are compromised probably because of the yeast overgrowth and let some particles of food go through it in the system causing a series or problems. Our organism identifies them as harmful and attacks them producing histamin. Hence your allergic reactions. The liver struggles to metabolize them and the stomach is contnuing producing acid even when there is no food to digest. Hence fatigue and acid reflux. These are the links. I am believer. I am trying to continue with this diet. It is very hard but things are getting better. I am experiencing more and more days in which my symptoms are mild or not present at all. (my symptoms were and, at times are, low-fever ike symptoms, mucus in the back of my throat, sore throat, fatigue and tireness, incredible sleepiness, strange sensation (sour taste) in my mouth, cold hands and feet and heaviness on my back, especially the upperback, stiffness of the neck). Let me know about the results of your test but once again, I think that acid reflux and LPR are just a consequence of a deeper problem.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:44 PM   #10
    bimik
    (female)

bimik HB User

Hi dixdix,

Thnx again for detailed information. I also don't have any digestion issues now and have been experiencing occasionally the symtoms that you had (persistent sore throat, burning tongue, sore taste in mouth (sometimes), fatigue, mucus, cold hands and feet). I believe candida might be the problem too, because although I did have sore throat issues for a few years my reflux symtoms appeared after course of antibiotics. Antibiotics can cause bacteria so now I am taking probiotics and drinking yogurt with live culture. I tsh test and gluten intolerance were both negative. I am happy to know that because I can say no to bread I am very interested to know the results of manometry and ph study, which I am doing next week. I have less mucus now but I have been having weird throat feelings and burning tongue today. I already cut back on coffee, chocolate and I am trying to eat fewer sweets. I drink chamomile tea a lot. But saying complete no to sweets and fruits might also cause a problem later on. People who get no sugar at all, might feel very tired because you need to have some glucose. But I guess in your case you can try to have a diet for awhile until your reflux symtoms disappear. I read the symtoms of both leaky gut and candida, there are so many, it is very hard to diagnoze by examing only symtoms. I will keep in touch if I find a cure to my symtoms too because I think we have been experiencing very similar ones ( especially fever like symtoms). Good luck

Closed Thread