It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Longevity of Lasik?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
    susanr53
    (female)

susanr53 HB User
    Unhappy Longevity of Lasik?

I would be interested in hearing stories of your experience after 5 + years following your Lasik surgery.
    I and 2 others I have talked to finding that we are needed prescription glasses because our vision has deteriorated. Not one of the doctors suggested an "Enhancement".
    I had my Lasik to correct nearsightedness. I was told my eyes would not develop nearsightedness for the rest of my life unless I developed cateracts, glaucoma or the like. The other people I've talked to were promised the same. We are all finding our eyes deteriorating for no reason but aging. How can they make that claim but it is not true?
    Has anyone else found this to be the case with their eyes after 5+ years of the surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
    thinkfast
    (female)

thinkfast HB User
    Exclamation Re: Longevity of Lasik?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by susanr53 View Post
    I would be interested in hearing stories of your experience after 5 + years following your Lasik surgery.
    I and 2 others I have talked to finding that we are needed prescription glasses because our vision has deteriorated. Not one of the doctors suggested an "Enhancement".
    I had my Lasik to correct nearsightedness. I was told my eyes would not develop nearsightedness for the rest of my life unless I developed cateracts, glaucoma or the like. The other people I've talked to were promised the same. We are all finding our eyes deteriorating for no reason but aging. How can they make that claim but it is not true?
    Has anyone else found this to be the case with their eyes after 5+ years of the surgery?
    Hi,
    I had LASIK approximately 5 years ago. For the first three years, it was great. Nearly 20/20 in both eyes. (One eye was actually 20/15 and the other was 20/25). I had no bothersome night glares, halos, starbursts or comets.

Well, about two years ago, over six months, my vision degraded (lost half of my distance correction) and also began having major problems with halos, starbursts, but mostly comets. I'm now back into glasses and toric contacts full time. And even those do not correct my night vision very well. I had good pupil size prior to surgery, or so I was told. But now my astigmatism (mixed in one eye) and regular astigmatism in the other, has actually gotten worse than before LASIK!

I had mildly dry eyes prior to surgery, but my problems are due to some other unexplainable reason. The doctors say that it is unusual for someone to lose this much vision so long after the procedure. it is difficult to drive at night. And during the day, I have shadow effects with things that have a dark background and light lettering on them; and also any LED lights have a shadow/double image.

If I could go back in time and not have the LASIK, I would give up my house for that. I'm very disappointed in our medical system that allows opthalmologists to promote this as a safe surgery, if you are "qualified" as a candidate. I did a huge amount of research prior to having LASIK. I met with half a dozen doctors. But no one warned me that even if you have good results in the beginning, that there is no way to guarantee those results will last. Good luck.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
    gldlks
    (female)

gldlks HB User
    Re: Longevity of Lasik?

I had Lasik 7 years ago. I was 20/200 before the procedure, with a slight astigmatism in my left eye. The day after the procedure, I had 20/40 vision. A week later I was 20/20. About a month after the procedure I was 20/15 and stayed at 20/15 for 6 years until my last checkup when my doctor said I'm now seeing 20/15 in each eye, but better than 20/15 combined... and this is 7 years later, almost to the day.

I was told I will need reading glasses at some point, but not yet (I'm 33). If they have some procedure that helps deal with that when I need it I will definitely have it done.

I couldn't be happier with my results and would do it all over again in a heartbeat for twice the price, if necessary!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
    prettiestpon
    (female)

prettiestpon HB User

I am 25 yrs old. I had lasik done about 6 years ago. after the surgery i was 20/20, but now i am 20/40. what gives?

Old 04-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
    Filial
    (female)

Filial HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by susanr53 View Post

SERIOUSLY. Who is telling people that Lasik is permanent?

I've always known it's temporary. This has never been a secret. My own eye doctor told me I was a perfect candidate for Lasik b/c of my age and my vision isn't that bad. But she and HE BOTH said that it's only for 5 years on average, but RARELY lasts more than 5 years.

Whoever is saying this lasts longer is either a miracle, lucky, or a stock holder of the Lasik company.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
    kassandrarayne
    (female)

kassandrarayne HB User

My surgeon told me right from the start that my vision could change after the surgery...never any mention of 5 years though. I opted for the most expensive package because it offers me a lifetime of free 'enhancements' should my vision change. I was told that needing reading glasses would be something that came with age and the surgery would never correct it.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
    episcopalienne
    (female)

episcopalienne HB User

I had LASEK (with a "e") a laser eye procedure more advanced than LASIK. My surgery was in 2005. I used a surgeon who did an individual plan for me, so I don't need an enhancement. In fact, he gave me "reading" vision, so I don't even need to use reading glasses.

Go to a different surgeon than the one you used before. If you live anywhere near NYC, go to Dr. Emil Chynn. He did mine.

If you don't live near NYC, check out his website. The LASIK (with an 'i') procedure is older and not as exact as the newer bladeless one.

Go for a free consult, almost all MD's give them. Make sure the surgeon does the no-flap all laser surgery. Also, be careful about doc-in-a-box surgery centers.

Don't go to a factory styled center, make sure your md is giving you individual advice. It is more expensive for drs to treat each patient individually.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
    mira258
    (female)

mira258 HB User

I had a good fifteen year run of perfect vision. I now have a slight prescription and am looking at enhancement options. It was well worth it to have fifteen excellent years.

Closed Thread