It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board

• My Parents are Lost

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-26-2009, 08:00 AM   #91
    Gabriel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
    Re: My Parents are Lost

You did bring up a point I forgot Ken.... I have given up trying to impress anybody. Others can say what they want about me because I know my intentions and my goals. The skin does get tough with the self assurance that you can conquer what life throws your way. The chaos and drama is so unnecessary. So you just smile and nod and let it pass by. Chaos and drama have to be feed and I intend to starve it to death. ::said with a chuckle::

Ken... at least you threw the good pot!!! If you are going to do it do it right!!! My last stress reliever (which fits more than anger outburst) was ripping a limb out of a tree. It was just above my reach and stuck in a tree... but I managed to jump high enough and grab it tight enough to swing on it until it came down. By the time I had hauled it to the street in fits... I was better Bless that neighbor that came to help and realized I needed to do it myself You just have to learn to channel those stress relievers!!

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #92
    kenbob71
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

kenbob71 HB Userkenbob71 HB Userkenbob71 HB Userkenbob71 HB Userkenbob71 HB User

Oh, my gosh. I love the tree limb episode.

Yes, I plan to keep that pot just as a reminder of how I need to keep my anger and stress in check! The good thing is, I barely missed the window in the dining room when the pot hit the wall! That would have been a mess.

You made my day, Deb. Later. K

Old 12-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #93
    kenbob71
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

kenbob71 HB Userkenbob71 HB Userkenbob71 HB Userkenbob71 HB Userkenbob71 HB User

Are saints allowed to throw kitchen utensils? Just asking. K

Old 12-26-2009, 03:52 PM   #94
    Gabriel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Uhhh.. Yes they are Ken as long as they aim for the wall and not anybody in particular!!! Even saints have their moments of frustration with this imperfect world Thanks for the smile !!

Love, deb

Old 12-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #95
    kenbob71
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Bless you, my child. That's kind of a Baptist blessing.... LOL

Can Saints cuss, too? cause I did, once or twice.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #96
    jojo1109
    (female)

jojo1109 HB User

Ken, Saints can do whatever they want, kinda like 5.000 lb. gorgillas can.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #97
    Gabriel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I can actually hear Jojo's snicker when she typed that one .... laughing out loud!!

Love, deb

PS Ken... A baptist blessing from a presbyterian... Life is strange hehe

Last edited by Gabriel; 12-26-2009 at 06:54 PM.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #98
    meg1230
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

Anger? Stress? How about a broken back door! Still broken and held together with duct tape...the window will fall out if the tape fails.

Yesterday I had a hollering fit. My company just stood there looking at me. Great.

Deb, Ken, I have not heard the stories of the broken limb or the flying pot. Makes me feel normal.

Love, Meg

Old 12-27-2009, 11:04 PM   #99
    Gabriel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Meg... we all have our moments!!! It is what normal is because we are not perfect creatures. I threw a fit just the other day. My sister brought me two large garbage bags full of collards. i had been to see Mom and Dad twice, cleaned the house, cooked, did some limited Christmas decorating, finished my shopping, been to a friend's open house, the facility Christmas Party, and my sister's Christmas get together. I was rushing to finish last minute preparations before my daughter and her boyfriend arrived.... and hubby ask "When are you going to do something about those collards!?" When I was done he backed into the house and then scurried off to the basement to hide!!! I am actually sitting her laughing now. Bless him... those collards are STILL on the porch and he has not mentioned them again. They are on my list to do tomorrow since the same sister that brought them is going to see Mom and Dad so I will have the day to do the collards Yep, it is normal to occasionally find a stress reliever

Love, Deb

Old 12-28-2009, 04:03 AM   #100
    meg1230
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

Yep, Deb, if we had a basement down here in Florida my husband would have been cowering in it too! Now mom has decided she no longer needs dinner or company of anyone in the facility. She is going to stay in her apartment and no one will tell her differently!!! Harumph!
    I should know better than to try to make her go!

My brother and his wife are here so that has thrown everything off schedule.

SHe started that new medicine for depression and sleeping at night and the crying is now over that lasted for over two weeks straight due to her forgetting her Chuckie was dead. No mention of him anymore. SHe has not forgotten him, just doesn't bring him up except to call him a dirty name for leaving her.

But when one problem leaves another arises. Now it is the dinner and staying in issue. We have more company coming in for the week...her grandchildren..my brother's 3 kids...they are coming to see grandma for what could possibly be the last time..they all live up north. So, I guess I will leave this dinner thing alone til they leave and if she isn't going to go I will have dinner sent to her room. I am also going to talk to someone today about fnally filling in for me 3 days a week. I can't even imagine how mom is going to react to that one...seeing someone else besides me showing up on her doorstep!! We will try to introduce the new companion gradually...eventually she will be with mom three days a week for two hours. And if she puts up too much of a fight on it we will then have to take the next drastic step and move her to the AL facility next door.

Due to the new medication, we think she is sleeping at night and now, just this week, she has begun going to sleep after we leave around 1 in the afternoon and is wanting to stay there through dinner into the next day. I think it is because my brother is here and when we take her back after our morning outings she is just plain ****** that we take her back and "dump" her...or "ditch" her. Her two favorite words now.

So...no easy answers. Unless you have any. (ok...that made me laugh...easy answers...hahahahaha)

Love, Meg

Old 12-28-2009, 05:01 AM   #101
    kenbob71
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Yep, Meg. You are just as normal / sane / crazy / out of control as the rest of us! Welcome to the club. Maybe we can put you up for sainthood.

The best way to clean collard greens... Put 'em in the washing machine. My dear sister (who has been my rock for the past two years) and her husband do it all the time. She says to fill the washer up and put a drop of Dawn dish liquid in.. let it agitate on gentle for a few minutes, drain, rinse twice for a few minutes each. NO spin, etc. she swears by it. Of course they live in Arkansas and tend to be a bit crazy, too.

BTW. I highly recommend Calphalon cook ware, that's some tough stuff!

HAve a great day. K

Old 12-28-2009, 05:06 AM   #102
    kenbob71
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

By the way, Jojo. Sometime during the night I thought about MedicAlert bracelets and thought you might want to order them for your mom and dad, in case they start to wander some. I'd ordered one for Besty just in case, but she never did any wandering any further than out the back door, around the house and right back inside the front.

Later. K

Old 12-28-2009, 06:53 AM   #103
    texaslily
    (female)

texaslily HB User

OH MY GOODNESS the washing machine how funny. Now that one takes the cake.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:00 AM   #104
    jojo1109
    (female)

jojo1109 HB User

Ken, funny you should bring up LifeAlert. I had that installed right before Thanksgiving. Dad wouldn't wear his, Mom chose to wear the one that goes around the neck. Twice since they've been home from the hotel the LifeAlert has been set off. Mom's always out of the room and can't hear it, Dad always stands by the speaking yelling for Mom to come do something, I always think Dad yelling because he needs help (which he does). After the second time it went off I decided to check on moms "button", I thought maybe she had it in her pocket and it got pressed when she sat down or bent over. It was around her neck, under her shirt which was tucked into her slacks, and the cord it's on was long enought that the "button" ended up at her waistband. That solved the mystery of how the the alarm kept going off, and now that it's been shorten I don't expect any more problems.

I have decided that LifeAlert was probably a waste of money. I really don't think they would remember to use it, or how to use it, and of course dad refuses to use it. Doesn't even think to go check mom when the alarm goes off.

JoJo

Old 12-28-2009, 07:02 AM   #105
    kenbob71
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I was refering to the Medic Alert Bracelet that they wear. Has their name, address your phone number and the name of the disease - in case they wander off and the police pick them up, they'll know where to return them to. K

Closed Thread