It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Quitting Suboxone Cold Turkey

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
    zacquery
    (male)

zacquery HB User
    Quitting Suboxone Cold Turkey

I am currently on 24mg of suboxone. Its been 48 hours since I took my last dose of 8mg. What should I expect?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
    emsmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emsmom HB User
    Re: Quitting Suboxone Cold Turkey

Hi Zac,

Wow, I strongly recommend you do not quit cold turkey. It can be very dangerous to just stop taking Sub, especially at such a high dose.

What to expect if you don't take any more?

Chills, cold/hot sweats, diarrhea, nausea/vomiting, runny nose, profuse pain (in the legs for sure), jumpy legs (restless leg syndrome), shakes etc.

Do you mind if I ask... Why have you just stopped taking Suboxone? Do you have an opprtunity to get more? Again, it can be extremely dangerous to stop taking Sub so suddenly. I hope you'll reconsider...

Good luck,
    emsmom

Old 02-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
    zacquery
    (male)

zacquery HB User

Hi,

I am still under suboxone treatment so there is no problem continuing to get my medication. I don't want a long drawn out process. Suboxone has made me a completely different person. I used to be upbeat, confident and fun to be with. Now I avoid everyone, including family except my partner. I don't want to be a slave to it anymore. I want it out of my life. Can I do this cold turkey? If it gets that bad I can always take a half. DO you know of people who have quit cold turkey? So far I have no withdrawal symptoms except pain in my back which is because I have Deg disc disease.
    So what do you think? I think weaning off would be a longer drawn out process than quitting cold turkey.
    Let me know your thoughts........and thanks for your help.
    Zach

Old 02-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
    FullCircle08
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

FullCircle08 HB User

Zach --i can only speak of my own experience. I had 6 relapses with opiates- high oxy and norco use for years and I COLD TURKEYED from all of them, but the last one. under a DR's care, i was put on SUB and i was 24 hours clean from a 200mg oxy and 150mg Vic habit. my sub treatment only lasted 5 days. i went 4mg. - 4mg - 3 -2 -1 then done. the longer the sub is in your body the worse it is. i had no WD for 30 hours, then BANG. i had about 10 days of hell. ANYONE that thinks that sub is going to get them off opiates with no withdrawal is completely wrong. the wd is actually worse coming off SUB, they just dont tell you that because they make huge $$$ on the sub. the clinic i used (inpatient, high cost) ended up charging me 1100 bucks for the 5 days of SUB. WOW!! thank G is was not on it for longer -- = worse WD and more $$.

my .02.

D

Old 07-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
    Jerseygirl 304
    (female)

Jerseygirl 304 HB User

That's how I am on methadone. Damit, I was going to switch to suboxonebecause of weight gain.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
    ashley76
    (female)

ashley76 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zacquery View Post
    I am currently on 24mg of suboxone. Its been 48 hours since I took my last dose of 8mg. What should I expect?
    Its day 8 for me and I know everyone is different but here are some things to expect: insomnia, sweating, mood swings, frequent bathroom visits, anxiety...etc... this did not hit me until day 3..Im on day 8 and i still feel icky..but you know, i think its best to do it this way...Also, go to a local pharmacy and ask them of some things you could take to help you out. Ive been taking alot of B-12 and 5hr energy drinks....you could try that..Really though..have courage and be strong because there is light at the end..And i promise you will be so much happier!!

Closed Thread