It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Niaspan question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
    Clancy1
    (male)

Clancy1 HB User
    Niaspan question

I am currently taking 2000mg of Niaspan. My cholesteral is now good after being on vytorin, but my LP(a) is still 3X higher than it should be. I have never minded the "flush" feeling from Niaspan, I kinda like the feeling, but it is getting really expensive. I am wanting to switch to Niacin, but I don't know if the extended release is better or worse than the regular. Would I take the same amount but just do it throughout the day instead of just before bed? Please advise.
    Clancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2010, 12:38 AM   #2
    BeHappy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
    Re: Niaspan question

If your doc prescribed the 2000 mg of niaspan, i would speak to your doc first about changing to another. there may be a specific reason as why you should not change to the niacin. Discuss the cost expense also with your doctor, he may have another alternative for you .

Please post back as this post may be much help for others to hear.
    Good question you are asking.

Be Well
    BeHappy2

Old 02-15-2010, 04:10 AM   #3
    jenj770
    Inactive
    (female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

The straight flush Niacin is more effective than the extended release. I don't know the cost of Niaspan but Niacin is very inexpensive.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:32 AM   #4
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

I take a Precription Niacin (Immediate release) called NIACOR. It's very cheap, considering it's a prescription niacin. I was paying more for a Carlson brand (500 mg) sold at my local vitamin store. The Immediate release can be taken anytime of day, you can also alternate schedules, I take 500 mg at lunch time, and 1,500 - 2,000 mg. in the evening before bedtime.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
    juan motime
    (male)

juan motime HB User

ACE28--

Niacor is immediate release, Niaspan ER is extended release.

Other than the fact that they enter and work on your system in different ways, why would a doctor prescribe one over the other? The only reason I can think of is because of side effects. Is one better than the other? Thx.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by juan motime View Post
    ACE28--

Niacor is immediate release, Niaspan ER is extended release.

Other than the fact that they enter and work on your system in different ways, why would a doctor prescribe one over the other? The only reason I can think of is because of side effects. Is one better than the other? Thx.
    It was my preference to take immediate release. The immediate release is much safer, even at doses as high as 10,000 mg. day or more. Extended release stops at about 3,000 mg. a day or you risk liver problems. In psychiatry/schizophrenic disorders, Immediate release was given at 20,000 + mg. a day. I feel their's a much wider safety margin with Immediate release. The flush is also very beneficial to boost circulation. Extended release avoids the flush.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
    ben35
    (male)

ben35 HB User

I finally had to stop taking my Rx of Niaspan ER 500 mg. I was taking it every other day, and the entire digestive system distress it wreaked became unbearable.

Today is Tuesday. I took my last pill Saturday night, and am now just beginning to feel human again. Plus, the heart palpitations just kept getting worse and worse.

Does anyone have a good reason to think that asking my doctor for a low-dose Rx of Niacor would make the stomach troubles any less pronounced?

Old 02-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

The immediate release is probably milder on the gastro system. The immediate release is absorbed completely within about an hour. I think the exended release lingers on longer, and is recommended to take before bed time. Immediate release can be taken any time of day, It is more convenient and metabolized very quickly. It's worth a try. You can also try a brand like Carlson or Twin labs (Immediate Release) for a few days to see how you adjust. You can also ask your doctor for Niacor, and try it.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #9
    ben35
    (male)

ben35 HB User

I just went to the website of my Illinois Blue Cross coverage, and Niacor is not covered. I may try the Carlson.

Otherwise, do you think it'd be worth a try to start taking 250 mg of Niaspan every other night? Even if I don't get the horrendous gastro side effects that 500 mg every other day gave me, the question is, will that dosage do any good at improving my HDL and trig numbers?

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-24-2010 at 11:37 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 02-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #10
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Ben - I think you would need at least 500 mg. of Niaspan to see an improvement. Carlson makes an excellent 500 mg. tablet. I think it's about $12.00 for 250 tablets. I took Carlson and my results were the same as Niacor. I switched to Niacor because my plan covered it. Niaspan is very expensive, Niacor is cheap, but I believe the Carlson brand is still the cheapest. The side effects I've noticed from Niacin are: dry skin, blurry vision, mild gastro issues and in the beginning an increased heart rate (especially if I was also having a gastric issue at the same time). Stomach issues seem to increase heart rate and sometimes cause PAC's and PVC's. I sometimes take a Niacin break for a couple of days, but when I take it again, the flush is very intense. Keep in mind the flush increases circulation, and improves blood flow.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #11
    crabcake
    (male)

crabcake HB User

Look at a product called Endur-acin or Enduracin on the web.
    I just started using it with no flushing.
    The price is very reasonable also.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:01 AM   #12
    The Mayor
    (male)

The Mayor HB User

Can someone clarify for me the intention of the use of niacin? Every search I do on the web states that niacin lowers your lipids. I thought that niacin's main use was to raise the HDL levels or good cholesterol. Does it also lower your LDL levels?

Old 06-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #13
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Niacin does it all, and better than any cholesterol medication currently available. That's why the pharmaceutical companies have made it their own (NIASPAN). Niacin raises HDL, lowers Total Cholesterol, lowers triglycerides, lowers CRP levels (artery inflammation), Mildly improves LDL ratio, and lowers lp(A). Decreases blood pressure, and improves circulation. It also increases longevity (according to studies).

Old 02-18-2011, 02:50 PM   #14
    polacekt
    (male)

polacekt HB User

Mayor,

Lipids is just another name for lipo-proteins, or cholesterol. Of course the real "intent" of maintaining healthy cholesterol is reducing cardiovascular risk.

Closed Thread