It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

  • Getting off PPI's and acid rebound

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 03-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #16
    abbydabbydew
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Nov 2009
    Posts: 118
    abbydabbydew HB User
    Re: Getting off PPI's and acid rebound

    Just checking in to offer my latest experience. This past weekend I apparently had a short-lived gastrointestinal virus. I didn't eat for several days and could not bear the thought of swallowing ANY medications, so I skipped my omeprazole doses for several days. At the start of the virus I had the weirdest vomit experience ever. Sorry guys, I know it's gross, but it's relevant to the whole "should we be completely wiping out our stomach acid?" debate. It was the first time in my life that I have vomited with no stomach acid coming up. It was a very dry vomit. Weird, weird, weird, and I concluded that the omeprazole must be working like a charm. LOL But it did get me to thinking that it was a most unnatural state of affairs and could my food really be digesting well in that environment? And what about the bad little bugs that stomach acid normally takes care of for us (and which very well could have been what got the best of me this past weekend)? So, now the gastronomically unpleasant weekend has come and gone and I have had time to think about those omeprazole doses that I skipped. I have decided to not resume the PPI unless/until I become miserable again. So far, so good. I feel quite fine and have not noticed any acid rebound, but then again, I've not eaten much in 4 days either. Time will tell. If I do notice some rebound, I'm going to quickly try H2 blockers for several days and see if that will do the job. I'll keep you posted.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 03-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #17
    abbydabbydew
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Nov 2009
    Posts: 118
    abbydabbydew HB User
    Re: Getting off PPI's Update

    I'm with you, rose. I've become very suspicious now with regards to new prescriptions and feel compelled to caution the younger members on this board. When we're young we're so quick to assume that a doctor is watching out for our best interests, but as we age we realize we can truly only do this for ourselves. Most doctors have a ridiculous number of patients and there's no way they look much beyond the most expedient course for any of us. Unfortunately, I think the easiest thing for a doctor to do is to write a prescription. I do like my primary doctor quite a bit and will continue to use him for primary care; however, I'm now to the point where I will quickly hold up a hand and say "Whoa..." the next time he starts to write a prescription for me. I was also quite disappointed at how unconcerned my GI doctor seemed to be about the side effects of PPIs, including the danger to a woman's calcium absorption (which he acknowledged but said there's no need to worry about it until after menopause). After all, he's unlkely to have to worry about his hip fracturing prematurely at the age of 55 or 60.

    So ladies...you gotta protect yourselves. Be your own best advocate and research, research, research everything you decide to put into your body.

     
    Old 03-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #18
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Location: Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts: 581
    rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
    Re: Getting off PPI's and acid rebound

    Abby, I would love to hear how you are doing off the PPI and what else you do in order to ward off acid rebound.

    I know low stomach acid is bad. It is the reason I could not stay on my PPI. My hips went from normal bone density to osteopenia in two and a half years. That is why I decided to quit the PPI.

    Keep us posted and good to hear you are feeling better from the stomach flu.

     
    Old 03-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #19
    mmKay
    Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: USA
    Posts: 68
    mmKay HB User
    Re: Getting off PPI's Update

    woooow I've been researching my other meds like crazy but I never thought PPIs were a big deal. I had the occasional heartburn here and there but it wasn't really a concern for me. I went to an ENT for ear problems and since I was there I mentioned that for some reason, I have a sore throat 24/7. Well he said I had erosive esophagitis and told me to take Prilosec for 5 months. It did nothing so then he gave me Kapidex (a 6 month rx). My throat still hurts, but not as much as before the Kapidex. I haven't seen him in about 3 months but the last time I was there he said the throat was healing. I only have 1 refill left so instead of going to the ENT I was thinking of just asking my regular doctor if he could refill my prescription for it.. now I'm not so sure I want to keep taking it.

     
    Old 03-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #20
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Location: Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts: 581
    rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
    Re: Getting off PPI's Update

    Hi MMKay:

    Since you are female and I don't know your age, you may want to ask your regular medical provider to order a Dexa scan for bone density to see where you are after several months of PPI therapy. I am fifty five, developed reflux three and a half years ago and had a perfectly normal baseline Dexa scan (coincidentally done in 2007 the same year I started on the PPI). I, too, kept getting my PPI refilled from my primary care doctor since 2007 as everyone assured me it was and is perfectly safe to take.

    I have been going through menopause, but I am not quite there yet, so both my OBGY and internal medicine doctor (both females) kept assuring me that I still have enough estrogen (I still get several periods a year) to not have to worry about osteporosis just yet. Surprise, surprise when my last Dexa this past December showed advanced osteopenia on both hips. Both doctors acknowledged the rapid calcium loss could be caused and was likely caused by the PPI's but neither suggested I get off the medicine. Instead, they both suggested I start to take Actonel (which can cause horrible stomach problems, among other symptoms) and then double up on the PPI if I experienced any GI problems from the Actonel.

    I kick myself for not having done my research and will never not read extensively on a medicine before I decide to take it. Neither doctor warned me about acid rebound when I mentioned I wanted to get off the PPI and try taking more exercise, calcium and vitamin D3 rather than use the Actonel for my bones.

    I too like my internal medicine doctor and OBGY. I have had both for many years, but I am very disappointed at the lack of information both provided and how easily they suggest adding yet another controversial medication to my regime. I do think doctors are very quick at handing prescriptions and adding medicines to mask the side effects of other medicines, and so on.

    I think PPI's can be a life saver and some people may need to take them long term (I may discover I am one of those after all these weeks struggling to get off them. The jury is still out) But I am very, very disappointed at the approach both of my doctors have taken to this issue and the lack of information/support I have received from either or both on this issue.

    Since rebound can last several months, I am going to have to stay off PPI's for several months to see if I can live without them. Right now, I am not sure the PPI did not create a bigger problem for me than what I originally had. I also wonder why docs don't take a step up approach to hearburn rather than a step down approach. That is, why don't they start with milder medicines (H2 blockers) and work their way up to stronger ones (PPIs).

    I have learned a lot over the past two months. I knew nothing about the difference between an H2 blocker and a PPI, PPI acid rebound, etc. All that information was out there to read, but I (stupidly) solely relied on my doctor's advice and guidance. Never again!

    Rose

     
    Old 03-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #21
    mmKay
    Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: USA
    Posts: 68
    mmKay HB User
    Re: Getting off PPI's Update

    I definitely agree on the whole just handing out medicine thing. I got prescribed a 2-week supply of Ambien and I researched that, and all the sites said it shouldn't be taken for more than 2 weeks so I figured my doctor wouldn't give me more. The next time I went he ASKED me if I wanted more. Well, I said yes but the point is.. I don't think doctors should be asking patients what kind of medicine they want lol. All I know is it makes me go to sleep, but I don't know the technical/medical stuff about it.

    I also saw a psychologist and at the end of my first appointment he told me I was depressed and asked me if I'd be willing to go on antidepressants. I said no. If I wanted drugs I would have just gone to the doctor and asked for some, but I was there trying to actually resolve my issues. He talked about how I could really benefit from them.. blah blah blah and I said fine. I started taking one and I did feel better but pretty much the only difference was that I wasn't crying all day. After a month my doctor said it wasn't doing "enough" and wanted to put me on a different kind of antidepressant. I said no.. I mean they're messing with my brain here and that's just scary to think about. I've been having problems with my short-term memory so even though I didn't want to take it, I started another antidepressant because I would like for my brain to go back to normal. I'm taking both kinds of antidepressants now + Ambien + Kapidex and I'm tired of all of it. I was really angry after I was given the 2nd antidepressant that I was just going to stop taking everything altogether. I read about people quitting ADs cold turkey and decided against it lol. I want to be off of them soon though.

    Anyway, about the bone scan. I'm afraid if I bring it up my doctor will think I'm being paranoid. I've been having a lot of random muscle pain, sometimes my upper back or lower back.. but I know depression makes your body hurt for no reason so I haven't brought it up. If I bring up a bone scan he might think it's the depression talking. I'm 21 so I doubt he's concerned about my bone density.

     
    Old 03-02-2010, 07:18 AM   #22
    marigoldgirl81
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Location: Indiana
    Posts: 236
    marigoldgirl81 HB Usermarigoldgirl81 HB User
    Re: Getting off PPI's and acid rebound

    Its very interesting to read of your seperate ppi journey's. I have been determined to get off this ppi at some point and time when i get the reflux under control, but its not happening. I just went to ENT dr last night and i have a viral (possible herpes/shingles family) virus in my throat...it has been there for AT LEAST 4 MONTHS! I have been treated with 2 rounds of antibiotics with some relief but it never goes away and it tears up my stomach that already has gastritis.

    I heard about a boof "Why Stomach Acid is Good for You" by Jon athon Wright but it must be out of print, hard to find. I seriously thing i am becoming more ill ON these ppis after nearly a year. Reasons why:

    ~Digesting my food, i have to hold my shoulders back for every meal and lots of bubbles and pressures have to happen and work there way out...never had this before. Before i was on double dose i could eat fairly normal amounts of food, now i have to e VERY careful, if i cross some threshold it is extremely painful and feels like a muscle is pushing it back out/it has no where to go, never had this before double dose.

    ~I am 28 and am now bruising so easily, BIG purple and green ones when i don't even remember the bump being that memorable.

    ~My throat is red and torn up with sores, i am truly wondering if its b/c ppi's don't allow your stomach to kill off all of the bad bacteria and i am getting infection after infection (or the same one) in my throat/back of tongue from where i hd/have esophagitis. Maybe i'm possibly chalking all of this up to the reflux getting worse when really my stomach just doesn't have the juice to digest food (I am still on a VERY strict diet months later and have not gained back my needed lost weight).

    ~My mouth is bone dry in the mornings, salivia is hard to come by anymore (i'd never had this problem pre-ppis) which is big, b/c i think saliva fights bacteria, hence all my painful infections.

    The list goes on...those are a few that i can think of. In the past month i just finished my taper off being poisined by benzodiazepines for 3 years. Since being off my anxiety meds my stomach hasn't been burning?? I don't know if thats why, but i would get these awful sunburn feelings in my stomach and esophagus since right around when i began the double ppi dose in late Sept. I never had all these additional problems like constant infections (with no colds, etc), trouble digesting food, bloating after every meal since i began the double ppi. I am not sure if this is the right moment for me and my health to attempt to cut out one day off ppi's right now. Well, i'm pretty sure its not the right time, but then i fear when the right time will ever be having never been healed from these ppi's and my esophagus, etc worsening all along. Dr's are of no assistance and of course blame every detail on stress. When in reality, THIS is what is stressing me out. I want to live to see my sons grandchildren one day, ets, i am only 28. I feel so ill and have for so long now. PPi's are when my physical health started to take a turn for th wosre and the double dose is when i began to get gallbladder problems, the constant infections and now so much weight loss on an already skinny girl (not from stress, I AM hungry, but i have a hard time eating without all the sympyoms i listed). *sigh*

    I wish you ladies the best luck, i know you can get off these, please keep posting, i want to get better and when i have another round of energy after this anti-viral i'm on hopefully, i want to try another way, i don't feel well on these ppi's.

    Take care,
    Marigold

     
    Old 03-02-2010, 07:26 AM   #23
    marigoldgirl81
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Location: Indiana
    Posts: 236
    marigoldgirl81 HB Usermarigoldgirl81 HB User
    Re: Getting off PPI's and acid rebound

    ps. Other things i've tried while still on ppi's for gerd:

    ~acupuncture for 4 months, relief from anxiety but not gerd/stomach
    ~dgl licorice
    ~slippery elm bark
    ~ACV
    ~Aloe vera juice gel (still doing)
    ~manuka honey (still doing)

    I want more info on HCL that is mentioned in 'Why Stomach Acid is Good for You'--i've never read it but heard many praise this dr's solutions. Anyone hear of HCL or try it?

     
    Old 03-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #24
    marigoldgirl81
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Location: Indiana
    Posts: 236
    marigoldgirl81 HB Usermarigoldgirl81 HB User
    Re: Getting off PPI's Update

    totally can relate mmkay...i just finished a 1 1/2 year taper off of 5, read FIVE drugs for anxiety and depression, which in my case helped in the beginning but ultimately made the anxiety and other things worse.

    I am so flippin frustrated with drs right now. I have had a red, raw sore throat/esophagitis for 7 ...no 8 months! now and ppis worked for the first month and since i've only gotten worse. I now don't know what to do about these ppi's (i've tried unsuccesfully three times to get off)...but i feel so ill on them, i just listed on a new thread all of the new conditions i've had come up since being on a double dose for 4 months. Now i am on an anti-viral for a continuing infection on the left side of my throat that will not go away. I proabably should not be taking it, but you get desperate being in so much pain/the damage being done. Oh, how i wish i would of researched ppi's before i let him give me one last June 22, oh how i wish. Somehow, i'm determined to get off of these one day, i think thats my only chance at feeling better from so many things that began after i was on ppis. I keep waiting for my throat to heal first but thats just not happening....hmmm...

     
    Old 03-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #25
    abbydabbydew
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Nov 2009
    Posts: 118
    abbydabbydew HB User
    Re: Getting off PPI's and acid rebound

    Update - Day 5 with no omeprazole and my sinus drainage is WAY up today. Sore throat. Scratchy voice. Return of LPR? Who knows? This just makes me roll my eyes because I never know if I'm refluxing or if it's something else. It currently doesn't bother me enough to restart the omeprazole, but we'll see what the next few days bring. Just thought I'd post an update since many of us are sharing experiences in trying to wean off these PPIs.

     
    Old 03-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #26
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Location: Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts: 581
    rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
    Re: Getting off PPI's Update

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmKay View Post
    I definitely agree on the whole just handing out medicine thing. I got prescribed a 2-week supply of Ambien and I researched that, and all the sites said it shouldn't be taken for more than 2 weeks so I figured my doctor wouldn't give me more. The next time I went he ASKED me if I wanted more. Well, I said yes but the point is.. I don't think doctors should be asking patients what kind of medicine they want lol. All I know is it makes me go to sleep, but I don't know the technical/medical stuff about it.

    I also saw a psychologist and at the end of my first appointment he told me I was depressed and asked me if I'd be willing to go on antidepressants. I said no. If I wanted drugs I would have just gone to the doctor and asked for some, but I was there trying to actually resolve my issues. He talked about how I could really benefit from them.. blah blah blah and I said fine. I started taking one and I did feel better but pretty much the only difference was that I wasn't crying all day. After a month my doctor said it wasn't doing "enough" and wanted to put me on a different kind of antidepressant. I said no.. I mean they're messing with my brain here and that's just scary to think about. I've been having problems with my short-term memory so even though I didn't want to take it, I started another antidepressant because I would like for my brain to go back to normal. I'm taking both kinds of antidepressants now + Ambien + Kapidex and I'm tired of all of it. I was really angry after I was given the 2nd antidepressant that I was just going to stop taking everything altogether. I read about people quitting ADs cold turkey and decided against it lol. I want to be off of them soon though.

    Anyway, about the bone scan. I'm afraid if I bring it up my doctor will think I'm being paranoid. I've been having a lot of random muscle pain, sometimes my upper back or lower back.. but I know depression makes your body hurt for no reason so I haven't brought it up. If I bring up a bone scan he might think it's the depression talking. I'm 21 so I doubt he's concerned about my bone density.
    Being 21 right now, I doubt you have to worry about bone density or a Dexa scan for the time being. If you are on PPI's, though, make sure you take calcium citrate and vitamin D3 to increase the rate of absorption. My concern with these medications is that, if we start taking them at twenty or thirty or forty and expect to have a normal life span, how are we then not going to end up with osteopenia or osteoporosis down the line.

    I just wish my doctor would have given me literature with information about bone loss, increased risk of fractures and acid rebound so I could have made a more educated choice about taking these medicines.

    To be honest, the rebound and symptoms I am experiencing right now at week six off PPI's are worse than any symptoms I had when I started taking them in the first place. Therefore, I do know that these PPI's have messed with my digestive system.

    I had mild to moderate heartburn when I went to see a gastro doctor and had my endoscopy three years ago. Since I got off the Aciphex, I have heartburn, nausea, pain in my gut, diahrrea and all sorts of symptoms I hope will improve with time.

    I know many people need to be on these medicines long term. I just wish I had been provided with more information so I could have made a more educated choice.

    But I don't think you have to worry about bone loss at twenty one just yet. I did not realize you were that young.

     
    Old 03-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #27
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Location: Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts: 581
    rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
    Re: Getting off PPI's and acid rebound

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marigoldgirl81 View Post
    Its very interesting to read of your seperate ppi journey's. I have been determined to get off this ppi at some point and time when i get the reflux under control, but its not happening. I just went to ENT dr last night and i have a viral (possible herpes/shingles family) virus in my throat...it has been there for AT LEAST 4 MONTHS! I have been treated with 2 rounds of antibiotics with some relief but it never goes away and it tears up my stomach that already has gastritis.

    I heard about a boof "Why Stomach Acid is Good for You" by Jon athon Wright but it must be out of print, hard to find. I seriously thing i am becoming more ill ON these ppis after nearly a year. Reasons why:

    ~Digesting my food, i have to hold my shoulders back for every meal and lots of bubbles and pressures have to happen and work there way out...never had this before. Before i was on double dose i could eat fairly normal amounts of food, now i have to e VERY careful, if i cross some threshold it is extremely painful and feels like a muscle is pushing it back out/it has no where to go, never had this before double dose.

    ~I am 28 and am now bruising so easily, BIG purple and green ones when i don't even remember the bump being that memorable.

    ~My throat is red and torn up with sores, i am truly wondering if its b/c ppi's don't allow your stomach to kill off all of the bad bacteria and i am getting infection after infection (or the same one) in my throat/back of tongue from where i hd/have esophagitis. Maybe i'm possibly chalking all of this up to the reflux getting worse when really my stomach just doesn't have the juice to digest food (I am still on a VERY strict diet months later and have not gained back my needed lost weight).

    ~My mouth is bone dry in the mornings, salivia is hard to come by anymore (i'd never had this problem pre-ppis) which is big, b/c i think saliva fights bacteria, hence all my painful infections.

    The list goes on...those are a few that i can think of. In the past month i just finished my taper off being poisined by benzodiazepines for 3 years. Since being off my anxiety meds my stomach hasn't been burning?? I don't know if thats why, but i would get these awful sunburn feelings in my stomach and esophagus since right around when i began the double ppi dose in late Sept. I never had all these additional problems like constant infections (with no colds, etc), trouble digesting food, bloating after every meal since i began the double ppi. I am not sure if this is the right moment for me and my health to attempt to cut out one day off ppi's right now. Well, i'm pretty sure its not the right time, but then i fear when the right time will ever be having never been healed from these ppi's and my esophagus, etc worsening all along. Dr's are of no assistance and of course blame every detail on stress. When in reality, THIS is what is stressing me out. I want to live to see my sons grandchildren one day, ets, i am only 28. I feel so ill and have for so long now. PPi's are when my physical health started to take a turn for th wosre and the double dose is when i began to get gallbladder problems, the constant infections and now so much weight loss on an already skinny girl (not from stress, I AM hungry, but i have a hard time eating without all the sympyoms i listed). *sigh*

    I wish you ladies the best luck, i know you can get off these, please keep posting, i want to get better and when i have another round of energy after this anti-viral i'm on hopefully, i want to try another way, i don't feel well on these ppi's.

    Take care,
    Marigold
    Hi Marigold:

    I am not a medical doctor, but don't they have antiviral meds to treat herpes viruses, shingles and those types of infections? If you have an active herpes virus infection in your throat, then there is no way your throat can heal until the infection comes under control. I am not sure how a PPI is going to treat that, though I understand the concept of not wanting that stomach acid to come in contact with the sores and irritate them even more.

    What has helped me with the burning feeling in my throat is drinking aloe vera gel. You can buy it at the healthfood store as gel, juice or a tonic. The gel is very refreshing and you can hold it a bit in your mouth and throat as it goes down. It may help relieve your burning throat which I know feels just awful. I had some last night and it helped a bit. I find the DGL helpful but more as a preventive measure. It does not do much once the throat is irritated and burning.

    Sorry to hear you are experiencing so much discomfort.

     
    Old 03-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #28
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Location: Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts: 581
    rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
    Re: Getting off PPI's Update

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marigoldgirl81 View Post
    totally can relate mmkay...i just finished a 1 1/2 year taper off of 5, read FIVE drugs for anxiety and depression, which in my case helped in the beginning but ultimately made the anxiety and other things worse.

    I am so flippin frustrated with drs right now. I have had a red, raw sore throat/esophagitis for 7 ...no 8 months! now and ppis worked for the first month and since i've only gotten worse. I now don't know what to do about these ppi's (i've tried unsuccesfully three times to get off)...but i feel so ill on them, i just listed on a new thread all of the new conditions i've had come up since being on a double dose for 4 months. Now i am on an anti-viral for a continuing infection on the left side of my throat that will not go away. I proabably should not be taking it, but you get desperate being in so much pain/the damage being done. Oh, how i wish i would of researched ppi's before i let him give me one last June 22, oh how i wish. Somehow, i'm determined to get off of these one day, i think thats my only chance at feeling better from so many things that began after i was on ppis. I keep waiting for my throat to heal first but thats just not happening....hmmm...
    Hi again:

    I did not read all the posts thoroughly. It sounds like you are on an antiviral medication already. That you definitely need to take to get rid of the sores. You will not have to take the antiviral medicine permanently and there is no rebound effect from those meds that I know or have ever heard of.

    I think stress definitely aggravates the GI problems and probably contributes to the viral/shingles outbreaks too.

    Reading through your post, it sounds like if you can get rid of those sores in your throat, then you might be able to get off PPI's down the line. When you do, please wean them off very, very, very slowly to minimize the rebound effect and all the other discomfort that comes along with the process.

    I also do not want to scare the younger women in the forum (I am fifty five) with my bone loss story. I think the older ladies like me have to watch out for that, but the younger ones like you should simply be watching their calcium intake and keeping an eye in the future.

    Rose

     
    Old 03-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #29
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Location: Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts: 581
    rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
    Re: Getting off PPI's and acid rebound

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abbydabbydew View Post
    Update - Day 5 with no omeprazole and my sinus drainage is WAY up today. Sore throat. Scratchy voice. Return of LPR? Who knows? This just makes me roll my eyes because I never know if I'm refluxing or if it's something else. It currently doesn't bother me enough to restart the omeprazole, but we'll see what the next few days bring. Just thought I'd post an update since many of us are sharing experiences in trying to wean off these PPIs.
    Hey Abby:

    Are you doing anything else like take an H2 blocker, drink aloe vera gel, DGL, etc to ease the transition off the PPI? My acid rebound started about a week after I stopped the PPI and I am still experiencing it at week six, even while on the Zantac and these other measures I am taking. I think the trick is to avoid going back to the PPI if we can help it, but I don't know that I could have stayed off the PPI for so many weeks without Zantac, etc.

    Thanks for posting updates. It really helps to hear how others are doing and what they are doing to ease the process.

    Rose

     
    Old 03-03-2010, 05:21 AM   #30
    abbydabbydew
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Nov 2009
    Posts: 118
    abbydabbydew HB User
    Re: Getting off PPI's and acid rebound

    Hi, rose. Yes, I'm taking H2 blockers as needed now. I took Famotidine last night at bedtime and felt decent upon waking this morning, although my voice is almost gone. For years I have had heavy post-nasal drip and now simply don't know if it's related to reflux (or not). My chest feels fine (no pain behind the sternum), so I'm going to give this a few days to see if the voice and throat symptoms clear up. If not, I may try to see my ENT so he can take a look in there and render his opinion on what's going on before I jump back on the PPI. He's an excellent listener and has a healthy dose of restraint where prescriptions are concerned. He's the most likely to consider my concerns about my age and the consequences of the PPIs, not to mention he's simply the most likely to understand what's happening in my continuallly problematic throat and vocal cord area.

     
    Closed Thread

    Tags
    ppi (proton pump inhibitor)



    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:26 PM.





    2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!