It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• 3 months Lasik with customview -Flux perscription still?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
    eyegirl
    (female)

eyegirl HB User
    3 months Lasik with customview -Flux perscription still?

Hey everyone...

I had lasik with customview done dec 2009... my prescription was -5.75 and -6.25 with a slight astigmatism in the one eye. I have VERY large pupils..

I wore contacts for over 18 years for well over 10 hours a day.. and had pretty dry eyes to begin with...

After the surgery i tested 20/25 and 20/20 the next day... i was ecstatic... Not having to wear glasses or contacts was a great feeling... there was definitely some pain and i had a steroid drop prescribed... but all went well after about the two weeks.. and no longer having to wear the eye patches at night...

I definitely have startburst and night time effects.. but coming from such a bad prescription in the first place... things looked about the same.. It was defiantly harder to drive at night/dusk and ive kept it to a minimum.. it has slowly improved in this area i think though..

That being said.. im in what ive read is the "second guessing phases"... so just want to hear some others feedback...

Currently i cant drive at night at all... not because of the 'starburst' but because my vision is SO bad... my 1 month appointment had me reading 20/35 and 20/30 in the dark.. and somehow.. 20/25 with both eyes.. in bright open light...

I asked for glasses or hard contact or something 'while i heal' cause i dont feel comfortable driving or with the vision at a distance in general... I cant "see" like im use to.. I do realize that many people in the population maybe went around with -1.75 or -2 prescription .. and no glasses... but i think they have adapted to that over years of life... To go from having PERFECT vision via contacts/glasses to suddenly having this 20/35 is beyond scary and hard for me to adapt to... i use some simple drops and for about 2 seconds it seems i have perfect vision.. it then goes as soon as the eyedrop drips out...

Doctor said no.. "Dont get glasses or you will feel you wasted money.. wait a month, things will get better"... I listened... and it 100% has gotten worse... im pretty sure at this point i will be well over 20/40 and the legal driving limit...

I will be going in this week and wish to know if it is common to have this much of a flux at 3 months.. and will i be expecting a touchup? do many people with bad prescriptions have to wear glasses/contacts after 'while the eye heals'..

I still think this surgery was an amazing experience... and am not sad yet with the choice cause i have hope it will just take time... but havent read much about vision changing this much, at the 3 month point...

thanks

Last edited by eyegirl; 03-01-2010 at 09:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
    landar
    (male)

landar HB User
    Re: 3 months Lasik with customview -Flux perscription still?

Hit the drops "hard" each day. It is important to keep your corneas moist while healing. And try different brands of drops to see which might work best.

Also, ask your dr. about stimulating your tear film production. They could prescribe Restasis. And maybe punctal plugs? You might also try flax seed oil capsules to help with tear film.

Above all, remember that the healing process takes many, many months. Get lots of rest (shut eye). I did not start to see good improvement until 6 months and now almost a year later, I am still seeing some improvement. So hang in there. It takes a lot of time.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
    ?vision?
    (male)

?vision? HB User

What is your new prescription? If you have trouble seeing, you are most certainly not 20/25. I see 20/30 with glasses(20/20 is too small to read) and everything looks quite sharp. If you are presbyopic, you will never be free of glasses. I know I won't, ill choose to be -2(with Intacs) instead of the -5 I am now so I don't need reading glasses and can go without distance glasses during the day if I felt like it. Not everyone at -2 can go without distance glasses, I will still wear glasses but with a reduced dependancy. Your choice is to leave well enough alone and wear a thin pair of glasses for driving and occasionally, enhance one eye for monovision or enhance both eyes and need reading glasses now(if presbyopic) or soon. I would love to be less myopic.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
    eyegirl
    (female)

eyegirl HB User

I have to admit.. my doctor has not been the most helpful and explaining character since the surgery..

After my appointment today.. he said that it was indeed well over 20/40 and that we would do a touch up surgery, as soon as next week.

I was a little shocked to hear this as everyone has stated that 6 months is the MINIMUM to healing or touch ups. When i expressed this he said no .. no need to wait as "my eyes are not getting better".

Im greatly full of concern at this point and have made an appointment for a second opnion. How can my eyes go from 20/20 to 20/40 in a month unless he did it wrong in the first place?

I asked if he needed to do a scan or anything again and he just said no. We will just touch it up but the amount from the "regular old glasses test" that he did.

Also to the above post.. I am talking 100% about distance vision and have nothing to do with close up reading. My close vision has and is still fine... its distance vision that is effected.

Has anyone else had a touch up? Im kinda scared to 'start all over again'... and not sure that i should be doing this at 3 months? Thoughts?

Last edited by eyegirl; 03-04-2010 at 04:35 PM.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
    landar
    (male)

landar HB User

Just remember that it is your vision and you are in control. I do not see anything wrong with your reasoning. You are quite right to want to wait for more healing to occur, then make an enhancement decision.

My doc wanted to touch up my L. eye at 6 months and I somewhat hesitantly agreed. But between the time he tested me and the scheduled surgery, I noticed a change in my L. eye vision. An improvement. So I called and cancelled the surgery. Turns out that the L. eye did improve to the point where it is better than the R. eye. It may even turn out that I will have an enhancement on the R. rather than the L. Even at a year now, I am still seeing some improvement.

However, I discussed this with the doc(there are multiple dr's in the office) and they are fine with waiting for more healing and working on the tear film. I have up to 2 yrs. for a "free" enhancement.

I did go to another LASIK doc (competitor) for an assessment and he said that the flaps looked beautiful and healing well. He recommended waiting and just getting glasses for distance if need be. My new prescription would be very light, maybe -0.5. I could live with glasses on occasion. Actually, I think very light prescription glasses look good and make good "jewry". (ie: Sarah Palin).

If using drops makes your vision better even for a moment, I would pursue tear film production via Restasis, Flax Oil, etc. and give the healing process more time. Go to another doc and ask for their opinion. It will cost you a small amount but will be well worth it.

Last edited by landar; 03-04-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
    eyegirl
    (female)

eyegirl HB User

Thanks Landar...

I did go to another doctor who recommend waiting a few more months before having the touch up.

I am now -1 in both eyes and will at some point need the touch up to happen.

I have glasses in the mean time!

Closed Thread