It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• I need help please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #16
    Debdeb9899
    (female)

Debdeb9899 HB User
    Re: I need help please

I will be anxiously waiting to hear from you
    And I hope your treatment goes well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by silentwarrior View Post
    Hi.

I need to be out the door ( got an IV treatment for MS) but I wanted to share few things...

1. Lack of hunger: I get this from my Lupus and MS meds. I often rely on milkshakes to soothe tummy plus get something in me. Smoothies too. Got more to say on this but gotta hurry so...

2. Potassium: Increasing it naturally through food is ok...(unless can't eat....i throw banana in milkshake) but be careful with ANY AND ALL potassium OTC suppliments. Our range of K levels is not a big one. Get too little it can cause havoc. Get too much can be fatal. Solution? Have doc run blood levels and see where you are at.

I can get into how and why I know this...(I almost died) later. But I am passionate on this and don't want you hurt.

I was a college and semi pro athlete I got a few tricks up my sleeve for leg cramps.

Will post more later.

Peace, health and joy~~~

SW

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #17
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello deb

Good for you for tackling a tough issue with such determination. I tapered off Oxycodone and when I finished that, I tapered from Xanax. I know the near desperation we sometimes experience with the withdrawal symptoms. Sigh. Truthfully, we just have to bear them with the knowledge that withdrawal does eventually pass and we regain normal again. The restless legs were an infuriating thing for me at times. Hot baths were helpful. Massages also. Calm those muscles down!

I think the turning point for me in handling withdrawal was when I stopped looking at the symptoms as withdrawal symptoms and began viewing them as symptoms of healing. I experienced lots of anxiety and I was able to get through it because I knew it was a result of my brain healing and a needed step in the process of it producing the chemicals it needed to on its own. The restless legs come from ther brain sending out search parties looking for any remnants of the opiate stored in various areas of the body. It will even check out bones in the search and many have backaches and such from that.

All of this does have an end, Deb. It comes along slowly and we need determination to see it through. Seems to me you have quite a bit of determination and are going to get through this. Little steps at a time. be as physical as possible as this will speed the process up. The process.... that what this is and it is a process that does have an end.

Stay strong. You are doing a really good job.

reach

Old 03-02-2010, 06:22 AM   #18
    Debdeb9899
    (female)

Debdeb9899 HB User

Thank you Reachout. Now I understand where the backache came into play last night. I thought maybe I was sleeping wrong from tossing so much from my legs. But this is day FIVE now and I feel SO much better. The restless legs is still there but not very noticable unless I focus on it. The heavy feeling and flu like body aches are gone as well. And I feel I can eat some now. You're right though, sitting around the house watching tv doesn't help much. I think I feel good enough now to call my mom and see if she wants to run down to the spa. Maybe work my legs in pool. It's probably a good place to stay and relax awhile. they have the regular pool, heated therapy pool, sauna, dry desert room, and the hottub.
    But the biggest thing is, I DID IT!!!! I don't know if the withdrawals will still come and go or if they are gone now, but I got through it. I couldn't be more proud of myself right now.
    I think I will call my mom up now. Thanks again for all the encouragement and friendship
    Deb

Old 03-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #19
    Debdeb9899
    (female)

Debdeb9899 HB User

Seems I feel alot better today but the restless legs has come back. Not to the extent of being horrible pain but it's nagging enough to actually bother me alot. I seem to be a bit emotional too for the first time. In the 10 years I have been married to my husband he still calls me on every single break at his job and on every lunch and on his drive home. And we still hate to be apart for any amount of time whatsoever, so I know the love is strong and I know he is supporting me 100% but when he called today he had another guy he works with spending his lunch with him, and for some unknown reason I got emotional and accused him of not wanting to talk to me. So I let him go. Thankfully he called back in a few minutes and told me he missed me and loved me and I apologized for reacting the way I did. But he said he understood and he thinks maybe I just need to get out of the house for awhile and get some air and exercise, so after he worked all day, he wants to come home and take a walk with me to work my legs and get me out a bit. I don't feel up to being out in the public yet like stores or the mall, so we will probably just walk around the farm. I think it will do me some good. I have cooped myself up inside the house for the past 5 days.
    Maybe him and I and the boys will take the dogs out for a run. I think I need to get some sunshine and fresh air and luckily it finally got up to about 45-50 degrees today.
    I do have a very important question though if anyone can answer it. I have a prescription here for Clonidine and I researched some on it and found this...

"Although not approved by the FDA for these purposes, clonidine has also been used to relieve alcohol withdrawal, as an aid in methadone and opiate detoxification, as an aid in quitting smoking, to treat diabetic diarrhea, to treat Tourette's Syndrome. Clonidine has also been used to reduce menopausal flushing, to treat postherpetic neuralgia, to treat ulcerative colitis, and to diagnose pheochromocytoma"

Has anyone used this for getting off the pills? I have been taking it as my doctor prescribed, I forget what he gave it to me for though, it was several months ago and I never took it all. I just don't want to get "hooked" on another drug while getting off one.
    I have read alot that Clonidine is one of the first drugs a rehab will put the patients on.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Okay I am going to go get ready for the walk. Maybe do my hair and makeup and try to feel better.
    Thanks again for all the support
    Deb

Old 03-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #20
    StrahanFan92
    (male)

StrahanFan92 HB User
    Re: Day 3

I know you are a little upset with my response to you earlier, but I have been reading your thread, and I just wanted to say you are really doing great. I can tell you that both times I went through this, it lasted about 7 days, after that I really started to feel a lot better, by 10 days you will start to feel like your old self again. The withdrawal may be a little shorter for you, may only last another day or two. But you made it this far, just stick with it, and I can assure you that it gets better.

Sometimes your going to feel fine, then out of nowhere the symptoms will return, thats when will get the most discouraged, you have to just keep fighting. For the most part, you are going to have those flu symptoms the whole time. The worst part is not being able to sleep. Ive been told to use Nyquil and lunesta, things like that, and they only worked once, after the first night, I still coulnt sleep, no matter what I did. It makes the 5-7 days feel like a lifetime. What your are going through is a nightmare, I know, but u can do it, your already more than halfway htere, just keep it up and youll be better in notime. Good Luck.

Careful with taking any other medications to help with the withdrawal, you may just end up delaying the withdrawal sickness for another day, or even possibly getting hooked on a different medication.

Last edited by StrahanFan92; 03-02-2010 at 10:17 PM.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:47 AM   #21
    Debdeb9899
    (female)

Debdeb9899 HB User

Actually I am not upset at you at all. I know when you're typing it's hard to add "tone" or "feelings" in at times because it's just typed words. I know we both must have re-read some and hey, it happens. I was just on my emotional roller coaster that day and I do apologize.
    Your post couldn't have come at a better time though. I was really worried this morning. I had a great day yesterday, even drove out 40 minutes to see my husband for lunch then after work we went with my parents and my kids out to dinner. It felt so nice to be out and I could actually eat. I felt good all the way up until 9pm when we laid down for bed, and low and behold the restless legs set in BAD. Mainly aching in my joints and muscles which turned into me getting no sleep at all being miserable from 9pm to about 2am. So I got up and tried a hot bath, went right back to bed and finally slept but I was in and out for a few hours still. So now I have a full day ahead of me and running on maybe 2 hours total sleep. I was so scared thinking the bad withdrawals were returning and it depressed me because yesterday on my day 5 I thought I was actually through it all. But I made it again last night and I will carry on.
    Do the restless legs end around day 7 too usually? That and sleep are the only withdrawals I am still dealing with. My energy feels full again. Appetite is good again. This is now my day 6 so here's hoping to better days ahead. And you're right, the sleep or lack of sleep that is, is the hardest part making all this seem to last forever. I stopped taking the lunesta too because it isn't working for me either.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:41 AM   #22
    StrahanFan92
    (male)

StrahanFan92 HB User

Well, I think the length of withdrawal is different for everyone, it also depends on your usage, how much and for how long. That being said, the symptoms never last more than 10 days. The first time I went through this, day 7 everything got better, I could actually do things and keep my mind off the nightmare for mosts of the day. But I didnt feel completely recovered until day 10, and even then it was still on my mind until day 20 or so. Now this most recent time, I had symptoms for 5 days, then they started to subside, and on day 7 I felt fine.

So I dont want you to get your hopes up about tomorrow, only to wake up and realize you have not improved. Like I said this is when you get the most discouraged. Believe me I know everyday you hope to feel better the next. All I can tell you is that if your still not feeling well, just tough it out for another day. It will get better I promise

Just try and keep busy, and if its sunny out, spend a lot of time in the car or outside during the day, it helps with the bone chills and cold sweats. Nights are the worst part, but at least you can do things to help get through the day.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #23
    silentwarrior
    (female)

silentwarrior HB User

Hi there.

I apologize for taking forever to get back here but my doc threw me into the hospital that lil stinker.

I hope that you are feeling bit better each day and know you can and will gets there. I have not been addicted but I was once a crisis counselor who granted did not work in a rehab setting but did see quite a few beautiful souls who were in the grip of addiction.

I also on pain management for Lupus, MS, and stroke like migraines (that started after my brain surgery) and can relate to my body being dependent on the meds.

Anyways...on to going in more detail...

1) Clonidine is a blood pressure medicine that does a lot of things (as you listed in a recent post). I have known people who were RX'd it to help ease some WD symptoms such as feeling of want crawl out of skin, restless legs, anxiety and help sleep.

I take it for BP 3 times a day as needed for BP spikes. I have never had any WD symptoms from not taking it...ever. But we are all different so keep that in mind.

Why did your doc RX it few months ago? Before taking it I would call your doc. and see. I can tell you that the DOSE for treating opiate WD is much different than the dose for blood pressure. So please make sure. Take TOO much and your BP can bottom out with in 20-30 minutes as it is a fast acting drug thus excellent to get a patients BP down quickly. So be careful ok?

2) Potassium: Yes, if our bodies are depleted of potassium it can cramp our legs. Potassium levels will usually stay level in a person unless they are unable to keep food and liquids in (especially if having diarrhea) or if they are exercising at a moderate to high level. That said there are certain health conditions that affect K levels as well, for example Conns syndrome which I have.

Foods/drinks that are good sources of Potassium: banana, watermelon, potato skin, cantaloupe, orange juice, tomatoes, lima beans, certain fish, chicken and other lean meats. Of course there is gatorade, power aid, pedialyte pops (I always keep these in stock), and the vitamin waters tend to have some in it as well.

There ARE plenty of powders, pills, vitamins on the market with Potassium in them and I am not against using them as long as you have asked your doc and they are not concerned and/or they run a blood test to check your levels.

This is esp. important if you have health conditions such as I do like lupus, MS, Conns syndrome...etc...

I take 8 RX'ed K tabs a day on top of trying to get it through drinks and smoothies. I used to have to take 16 a day but they fixed my Conns syndrome the best they can and my levels are much better. All of it under close care of my doctors.

Ugh ok my home nurse just got here so I gotta end for now. This post is way toooooooooooo long anyways.

Hope it has helped if even a little...if have questions please ask and I do my best get back on.

Peace,
    SW

Old 03-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #24
    Debdeb9899
    (female)

Debdeb9899 HB User

Well I haven't posted in a few days but that's because I was in a living hell. But for the most part things are really good now. On day 8 of my cold turkey vicodin quit, I had no more withdrawals and was feeling great. But that evening my menstrual cycle started which is always bad, so cramping started in my back and legs again but I made it through on ibuprofen. On day 9 I started having a severe sharp pain in my right lower back and under my right ribs, the pain was to the point of taking my breath away and doubling me up in pain for hours. So I went to the emergency room. I told the doctor when he wanted to give me pain meds, that I had just quit vicodin and wanted nothing with an opiate. I would rather suffer through the pain. So he gave me Ultram (Tramadol), a non-opiate. It didn't help much but was better than nothing. But from lab work it seems I had a pretty bad urinary tract infection and have had it for a couple months. He said I must not have felt the pain usually associated with one because of the vicodins.
    So it's been a rough couple weeks. I was hoping once the vic withdrawals were done then I would finally feel good, but of course as the old saying goes, when it rains it pours. Today though I am feeling so much better and even slept quite a bit last night.
    I was low on potassium so they started me on a multi vitamin. But I did it. I went cold turkey on the vicodins, it's now been 11 days. And I made it through all the other pain with only taking one tramadol.
    I didn't think I could do it but I know now that the fear of the withdrawals is far worse than the actual withdrawals.
    So after 11 days and a whole lot of ibuprofen, alieve, tylenol, and hylands leg cramp pills, I am finally free of the vicodin hold.
    Time for me to run to the store.
    Thank you for everyone here who was kind enough to talk and help me through this. I wish the best for each and everyone of you.
    Deb

Last edited by Debdeb9899; 03-08-2010 at 04:33 PM.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #25
    StrahanFan92
    (male)

StrahanFan92 HB User

Be careful with tramadol...Yes it is documented as being non-opiate, and non-narcotic. But it IS Narcotic like, and it IS addictive. I know because I went through withdrawal when trying to quit tramadol. You will see other posts on the boards who are having the same problems. If you took one to help the pain that one time, no big deal, but be careful about continued use of tramadol, its just as physically addictive as vicodin.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #26
    Debdeb9899
    (female)

Debdeb9899 HB User

I figured as much. The doctor and pharmacist said it wouldn't bring back my vicodin withdrawals and it didn't but I only took the IV dose they gave me in the ER and just one pill the next day. I am pain free now and have flushed them. He said I would be fine unless I pushed the dose then addiction and withdrawal would occur, so I just took what was needed because I was in severe pain, but again I only took the one pill. Today I feel wonderful and thankfully it seems the days of vicodin owning my life is over finally.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #27
    StrahanFan92
    (male)

StrahanFan92 HB User

Its a great feeling isnt it?

The best part is, that your going to continue to feel better everyday. Your going to start doing more with your time, maybe try some new things, your going to start living your life again

Proud of you, great job!

Old 03-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #28
    Kerry21
    (female)

Kerry21 HB User

I am SO happy for you.. This was like the coolest thing ive ever read. it was like a movie LOL!

Old 05-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #29
    madhen17
    (female)

madhen17 HB User

I just finished reading this thread and I'm amazed. I am going on week 1 in my recovery from Norco. I really felt like someone just knew what I was going through because as I'm reading it I'm going through the same thing. Sharing your journey on here has helped me a lot. There is me waiting at the end of the tunnel and I can't wait to get there.

Heidi

Old 05-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #30
    shaman123
    (male)

shaman123 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: I need help please

Hey, just wanted to let you know about passion flower. it's natures Xanax- really. you can use it to wean off of alcohol and pills and it works so well that i recommend it to everyone. and it has no side effects. milk thistle will help also..

Closed Thread