It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• What was your ADD child like as a baby/toddler?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
    Belly Kelly
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User
    What was your ADD child like as a baby/toddler?

Hello. This question is for the parents out there who have children with ADD. I am wondering what your child was like as a baby/toddler? Did you see any early signs of ADD? Did they sleep poorly, were they poor eaters, did they not listen, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2009, 12:59 AM   #2
    dancersmom424
    (female)

dancersmom424 HB User
    Re: What was your ADD child like as a baby/toddler?

My daughter was fairly active as a toddler. She didn't let a broken leg slow her down, in fact she learned how to walk with a cast on. She was on the move but I didn't think it was anything but normal. It wasn't until she started kindergarten that I noticed that what she was doing wasn't right. She would get up in the middle of class and go talk to a friend. I pushed it off to her not being in pre-school, she had substitutes for most of the year (her teacher had some major health issues). She switched schools for 1st grade so I blamed her inattentiveness on the move and family issues (I separated from her father). 2nd grade the problem was still there. At this point I was tired of homework fights. It would take her 2hrs some nights to do a simple worksheet. She wasn't completing work at school, had to know what everyone else was doing, wanted to do the "next" thing whatever it was going to be. After talking to her teacher, school counselor and doing a lot of reading, I decided to have her tested. Sure enough, she has combined ADHD. At this point she is not on meds, although I am wanting to try a low dose. She is starting to be a distraction to other students in the class, and her grades are dropping. She is in 3rd grade and at yet another new school, hopefully this will be the last school change til she graduates. She is in a K-12 private school, which she loves.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
    rcrossan
    (male)

rcrossan HB User

I was diagnosed with ADD at about 10 years old (this was in 1992). While obviously I can't recall what I was like as a baby/toddler, my mom has told me hundreds of detailed stories.

Apparently as a toddler I was an absolute nightmare, didn't listen, threw things, ran away, hit my sister, pulled hair. Essentially every bad behavioral trait you can image, I basically had it, but I slept and ate normally.

I was basically a nightmare for my parents up until my late teens. But let me put this out there, if you have a kid with ADD, you really need to find something they enjoy and let them go at it.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
    horseygirl14
    (female)

horseygirl14 HB User

I always knew there was something with my daughter from when she was a baby(she is now 10). She would sleep poorly - only an hour or two at a time. Never slept through the night till she was 4 and a half. She would have bad dreams and night terrors. Still wakes up now with bad dreams. She was a difficult toddler. I wouldn't say she was overly active but she was diagnosed with adhd in grade 3. There were problems in school right from kindergarten. Couldn't sit still - had to be placed at the back of the circle during story time. She struggles socially and tends to play with kids much younger than she is. She doesn't seem as mature as other 10 year olds. Looking into getting her medicated now.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:22 AM   #5
    multitaskermum
    (female)

multitaskermum HB User

I really didn't see any signs of ADHD with either of my kids until they entered the school system. My daughter, now 10, started off as a very unsettled baby, but ate and slept well. As a first child she had our full attention from day 1m and is still constantly demanding it. My son, now 6, was the perfect baby, and again no real signs until he started kindergarten. 2nd child had to cope with less attention, and did so reasonably well. The sudden rules and restrictions of school and social rules were overwhelming for both of them. I think as long as you get onto it as soon as possible once they start schooling, this is your best bet. The years leading up to this, you really just want to enjoy your babies before the demand of testing and doctors etc hits you!!!!

Old 05-08-2010, 05:45 AM   #6
    Belly Kelly
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

It is interesting to read everyone's response. My 3 1/2 year old is impulsive and has a short attention span and I am wondering what might be normal at his age vs. an actual problem. There is such a grey area at this age.

My son, since a baby, has been so active. He crawled early, walked early, and has very strong gross motor skills. He is strong and quick.

I have never been able to do many organized activities with my son b/c he simply won't cooperate. Taking him to a half hour story time at the library was always torture for me b/c he wouldn't sit! I enrolled him in a little soccer class and he just wanted to run around the whole time and rarely would do what the instructor asked. He is in nursery school now and constantly takes toys and has a problem with sharing. Some of these things can be normal for a 3 1/2 year old so it is hard to understand if there is a problem. His teachers have been concerned with the sharing and the listening. We are using stickers as rewards and it is helping a little.

I have given him developmental tests and he scores very well on all of them - he talks well, has a great vocab, has age-appropriate fine motor skills, social skills are pretty good (except the sharing), etc. My concerns are his lack of sharing and his sudden tantrums at 3 1/2. He was never a big tantrum kid but he seems to be having them now. He gets very mad when he doesn't get his way!

Closed Thread