It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Getting off PPI's and acid rebound

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #61
    starryGal09
    Inactive
    (female)

starryGal09 HB UserstarryGal09 HB User
    Re: Getting off PPI's and acid rebound

Haven't read thru all the posts. I was dxd with GERD, after an endoscopy to rule out bleeding ulcer because of anemia.
    I have infrequent heartburn but had no idea GERD?

I treat with homeopathy. I never got script for PPI filled. I elevated bed and watch my diet like crazy. Pizzas with tom sauce always do me in!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #62
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by starryGal09 View Post
    Haven't read thru all the posts. I was dxd with GERD, after an endoscopy to rule out bleeding ulcer because of anemia.
    I have infrequent heartburn but had no idea GERD?

I treat with homeopathy. I never got script for PPI filled. I elevated bed and watch my diet like crazy. Pizzas with tom sauce always do me in!!!
    What remedies have you tried besides diet and elevating the bed? I don't have nighttime reflux and already eat a pretty healthy diet consisting of protein, fruits, vegetables, almond milk and as few carbs as I can get away with.

I got off PPI's two months ago and have suffered through pretty heavy duty rebound. I am now on H2 blockers and hoping to be able to someday be off medications and only on natural treatments for reflux.

Rose

Old 03-28-2010, 06:19 AM   #63
    Flyerfan
    (female)

Flyerfan HB User

Rose:
    Quick question. Did you consult with your doctor before stopping the ppi or did you do it on your own? The reason I ask is I'm wondering how many doctors out there will actually encourage someone to get off these blasted drugs.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:44 AM   #64
    starryGal09
    Inactive
    (female)

I have been prescribed meds for GERD - didn't even get that one filled. I didn't feel the adverse effects were worth the chance if I could handle the symptoms naturally.
    Diet can undo many illnesses: Diabetes Type II, Celiac disease, cholesterol issues, etc. So I wanted to try diet first before taking medications.

I get GERD, acid indigestion from eating cheap frozen pizzas, very acidic foods and basically garbage foods. They offer NO nutrition, but they taste good.

I have informed doctors that I would like to try OTHER means first before medications. Some have suggested books and websites while others hand me the scripts.

Last edited by starryGal09; 03-28-2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Too long.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #65
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flyerfan View Post
    Rose:
    Quick question. Did you consult with your doctor before stopping the ppi or did you do it on your own? The reason I ask is I'm wondering how many doctors out there will actually encourage someone to get off these blasted drugs.
    In a way I consulted. I had been cutting down on the dose of Aciphex (from a whole pill to a half) between the discovery that I had developed Osteopenia (from a Dexa scan) during a visit to the Gyno doctor on December 22nd and my visit to the general practicioner January 24th. I explained to my family doctor then my intention to stop the Aciphex in efforts to slow down or stop the calcium malabsorption. She was not too enthusiastic but told me I could try Pepcid AC twice a day instead of the Aciphex. However, her recommendation to me was to stay on the Aciphex, take Actonel for the bone loss and then take even higher doses of Aciphex if the Actonel caused me any stomach trouble. I know that is the easiest way to do it, but I did not like the idea of taking Actonel (that's the subject of an entire new post) or having to then take even more Aciphex to counteract the Actonel. It seemed to me like creating a crazy, vicious cycle of more and more medicine to deal with a side effect originally created by the Aciphex. I took my last Aciphex on January 24th and have taken OTC Zantac from then on.

But the general medical consensus from my two doctors is that I should stay on the Aciphex, take Actonel and then increase the Aciphex as needed to deal with the Actonel side effects (heartburn, etc).

In other words, both of my doctors know but my sense is that they do not agree with my decision. The general practicioner mailed me new prescriptions for Aciphex and Actonel when she sent me the results of my lab work.

Needless to say, I am currently taking neither.

Rose

Old 03-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #66
    starryGal09
    Inactive
    (female)

Prescription and over the counter drugs such as antacids and proton pump inhibitors were only designed to for occasional use or short-term care of the condition. For long term relief, certain lifestyle changes and dietary changes are usually necessary. Has you doctor informed you of any alternative ways to address the symptoms or are you supplementing calcium? Digestive Enzymes? Probiotics? Do you take Super Green food drinks in am??

Diet of course - citrus , tomatoes, onions, caffeinated beverages, garlic, chili powder, chocolate, fried and fatty foods are just some of the highly acidic foods that may need to be restricted or eliminated .

It may still be necessary to avoid the more acidic foods, but eating smaller meals every couple of hours throughout the day, rather than two or three large meals can help. Try to eat your last meal at least three hours before bedtime, when symptoms are present.

Raising the head of the bed about 6 inches higher than the foot of the bed.

When my gastro disturbances first began I was put on CARAFATE - - Sucralfate (I believe there is liquid and pill forms). For me, this was wonderful.

Have you seen a nutritionist? Might be helpful.

Have you had any testing on your stomach acids? Helicobacter pylori Infection?? Celiac? Allergies? Food intolerances?? Do you even have enough acids in your stomach?
    I have tried to read thru the posts but I could have missed all this information. So sorry.
    I would ban coffee - decaf and regular for awhile. GREEN TEAS. And see how you do on the teas. Hope you feel better soon!! (I take Ginger tabs!!)

Last edited by starryGal09; 03-28-2010 at 02:45 PM.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #67
    Oleander53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I have Celiac and just found out I have severe H Pylori !!!! No one ever checked me. Get checked out. Oleander

Old 03-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #68
    col1mm
    (female)

col1mm HB User

Hi Rose,
    I have had similar problems with Omeprazole and reflux. Was going through a rough time in my life with divorce and started having some abdominal discomfort, so my PCP put me on Omeprazole once a day. A couple of months later, I decided to try something for my anxiety related to the divorce, etc. and was put on Wellbutrin. Took the Wellbutrin for about 2 weeks and got intense anxiety and chest pain and ended up in the emergency room. Stopped the Wellbutrin and my PCP put me on the Omeprazole twice a day which gave me wicked GI upset with nausea and diarrhea. By this time, I had been on the Omeprazole for about 3-4 months and when I tried to stop taking the omeprazole, I think I developed severe rebound acid reflux. Didn't really want to take another PPI because I felt like I would continue to have problems with GI upset. Had an upper endoscopy which was normal but was told I probably had reflux and should start taking Protonix once a day (another PPI). In the meantime, I've had terrible chest burning and stabbing back pain and have just started taking Zantac 150mg twice a day. I'm determined to stay off the PPI and have heard it can take several months for the rebound acid reflux to resolve. I'm about 3 weeks without a PPI. This has been very disruptive for work and home life...I feel so bad that I'm afraid it won't get better! Any suggestions?

Old 03-29-2010, 05:57 PM   #69
    Stellanyc
    (female)

Stellanyc HB User

Rose- Thanks for your post. Im currently at week 5 of coming off of Nexium and it has been pretty painful at times. Like you, I am determined to make it to at least 3 months to see if I really need the medication. I was put on it 2 years ago after I got a bacterial infection in my stomach while traveling in Brazil. I never had any reflux, burning, burping etc. Now I have all of the above. My decision to come off of it was do to the fact that I was getting constipated frequently and didn't feel like I was digesting my food properly. All of which are better when I am not on the meds. I find that some of the natural cures have helped me but only temporarily. Apple Cider Vinegar helped alot at first, Aloe Vera Juice helps sometimes, Papaya Enzymes helped but constipated me. I've gone the last week without taking anything but after 1 glass of wine last night have been in pretty bad pain all day leading me to take 1 Zantac 150 tonight (which helps only a bit). I hope I can get off these meds completely and also start drinking coffee, wine etc without medication. I am 28 and to struggle with constant stomach pain is challenging to say the least. Thank you for posting. It's comforting to know that others are going through this at the same time, support is so important. Oh and by the way my GI told me that he thought my stomach "might be" too weak to ever get off PPIs. I hope I can prove him wrong.

-Lauren

Last edited by Stellanyc; 03-29-2010 at 06:01 PM.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #70
    Stellanyc
    (female)

Stellanyc HB User

Hi Flyerfan- My GI told me that I should probably start to wean myself off Nexium on to Prilosec but when I told him I was experiencing acid rebound he said he thought that my stomach is too weak and I would eventually have to go back on Nexium. Frustrating. Im about 5 weeks into coming off of PPIs. I've been ok but definitely still in pain despite cutting out coffee, chocolate, alcohol etc. Hoping this will pass soon. Its unbearable at times.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #71
    ksc1968
    (female)

ksc1968 HB Userksc1968 HB User

Im just starting this journey, Im only 4 days in and so far so good. The first 2 days I did have some burning, like a hunger feeling. I was about to try to take Kapidex, as my prevacid hasnt been working, but spoke with my dr again over the phone when insurance wouldnt cover the Kapidex, and he said my problem could be related to low acid (he says he cant say it is or it isnt without trying, and the PPI has never completely taken away my problem, so he says he just doesnt know 100%), and lets step me down from 30mg to 15, 5, etc. To get to the 5mg dose I will be dumping 2/3 of the prevacid out of the capsule (very informal),
    I have also added absorbaid with lunch and dinner, so I dont know if its helping or not yet, too soon to tell. I am very hopeful and kind of excited for this journey as I cant wait to find out if I can be free of this expensive habit! THere is some insecurity involved that at the first attack I will want to jump back on the PPI, but I have to at least give it a chance. Maybe all of my other problems are perhaps PPI side effects.
    Good luck to anyone else while on this journey!
    God Bless

Old 03-30-2010, 06:41 PM   #72
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stellanyc View Post
    Rose- Thanks for your post. Im currently at week 5 of coming off of Nexium and it has been pretty painful at times. Like you, I am determined to make it to at least 3 months to see if I really need the medication. I was put on it 2 years ago after I got a bacterial infection in my stomach while traveling in Brazil. I never had any reflux, burning, burping etc. Now I have all of the above. My decision to come off of it was do to the fact that I was getting constipated frequently and didn't feel like I was digesting my food properly. All of which are better when I am not on the meds. I find that some of the natural cures have helped me but only temporarily. Apple Cider Vinegar helped alot at first, Aloe Vera Juice helps sometimes, Papaya Enzymes helped but constipated me. I've gone the last week without taking anything but after 1 glass of wine last night have been in pretty bad pain all day leading me to take 1 Zantac 150 tonight (which helps only a bit). I hope I can get off these meds completely and also start drinking coffee, wine etc without medication. I am 28 and to struggle with constant stomach pain is challenging to say the least. Thank you for posting. It's comforting to know that others are going through this at the same time, support is so important. Oh and by the way my GI told me that he thought my stomach "might be" too weak to ever get off PPIs. I hope I can prove him wrong.

-Lauren
    Hang in there if you can. I am now a little over two months off PPI's and can say that I have barely begun to feel semi-normal. I was still experiencing pretty bad rebound by week five. Therefore, when gastroenterologists write that rebound can last up to three months, I believe it. You are probably going through the worst of it right now. Nobody ever told me about acid rebound or the dependency the PPI's can create. It just seems like such an easy medication to prescribe that I think doctors now have a tendency to overprescribe it without thinking too much about it. Then, we are stuck.

I cut down my Zantac from 150 mg to 75 mg twice per day a couple of days ago to see if I can further wean myself off prescription medications. If I can hold it at 75 mg, I may stay there for a while with the blander diet, low carbs and other remedies I have been trying. But it has been a tough two months, that's for sure.

Rose

Old 03-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #73
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by col1mm View Post
    Hi Rose,
    I have had similar problems with Omeprazole and reflux. Was going through a rough time in my life with divorce and started having some abdominal discomfort, so my PCP put me on Omeprazole once a day. A couple of months later, I decided to try something for my anxiety related to the divorce, etc. and was put on Wellbutrin. Took the Wellbutrin for about 2 weeks and got intense anxiety and chest pain and ended up in the emergency room. Stopped the Wellbutrin and my PCP put me on the Omeprazole twice a day which gave me wicked GI upset with nausea and diarrhea. By this time, I had been on the Omeprazole for about 3-4 months and when I tried to stop taking the omeprazole, I think I developed severe rebound acid reflux. Didn't really want to take another PPI because I felt like I would continue to have problems with GI upset. Had an upper endoscopy which was normal but was told I probably had reflux and should start taking Protonix once a day (another PPI). In the meantime, I've had terrible chest burning and stabbing back pain and have just started taking Zantac 150mg twice a day. I'm determined to stay off the PPI and have heard it can take several months for the rebound acid reflux to resolve. I'm about 3 weeks without a PPI. This has been very disruptive for work and home life...I feel so bad that I'm afraid it won't get better! Any suggestions?
    Hi Co/1mm:

Sorry you are going through a divorce. I know the stress and upheaval don't help the body heal. I am sure they keep your tummy churning. I had horrible rebound until about two weeks ago and I feel I may have just started to turn the corner and see a life without the darn PPI. I can't predict how it will go for you, but I think it can get better. If you are at week three, you are probably still in the thick of it. Hang in there if you can and feel you can play this out for a bit.

What I did wrong when I started the weaning off process was to get off the PPI too quickly. I was off them a week when I started to experience the rebound. However, by then I was a week out and did not want to start the cycle all over again. That was the last week of January.

This is what I have done to deal with this rebound phenomenon. All this may or may not work for you.

1) I took 150 Zantac twice a day until a couple of days ago when I reduced the dose to 75 mg Zantac twice a day. I'll see how it goes and will go back up to 150 mg if I feel I need the higher H2 blocker dose. I tried Pepcid too, but the Zantac worked better for me.

2) I found that a low carb diet has helped me. Try to reduce carbs as much as possible if you can and eat more lean protein, nuts and veggies (along with some fruit). For a while there, I was eating a lot of dairy, rice and potatoes and, tough bland, that type of diet was not helping me. For whatever reason, the stomach produces more acid to break down the carbs.

3) No coffee, alcohol and other acid producing foods. I think milk and dairy go into that category. I now drink almond milk and take my calcium citrate pills twice a day. I think decaf coffee has a lot of acid too.

4) Don't eat close to bedtime and don't go to bed with a full stomach.

5) I started drinking aloe juice but I now take aloe pills and slippery elm pills in-between meals. I also suck on DGL. I chew sugarless gum after meals for about an hour whether I have heartburn or not. I think it helps produce more saliva and aids with digestion. It is not hurting and I think it may be helping me.

6) I never take any pills, including vitamins, on an empty stomach.

7) Read all you can. Reading about acid rebound did not make the rebound any easier to deal with, but understanding the process better has helped me to make better decisions regarding whether or not to wait it out. If I had not come here and read old posts, I would have probably been back on the Aciphex within a week. Nobody can live through this rebound misery forever. On certain days I was experiencing heartburn for five or six hours non-stop.

8) I use liquid Gaviscon as a last resort when I experience heartburn, particularly if my stomach is bothering me before bedtime. I don't want to take too much because it has aluminum and a lot of aluminum is not good for you. But Gaviscon is a God-send when I am having one of my "heartburn attacks" that can last for hours.

I think this has been it in a nutshell. I don't think PPI's are evil, but I am upset my doctors never informed me of side effects (possible osteopenia or osteoporosis, acid rebound, etc). I was simply told I had GERD, and would need to be on the PPI forever.

Best wishes to you and please post and let us know how you are coming along. I have had some really bad days when I thought I had to take that PPI and here lately, I have begun to have more "better" or "good" days. I hope I can continue to stretch those out.

Rose

Old 03-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #74
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stellanyc View Post
    Hi Flyerfan- My GI told me that I should probably start to wean myself off Nexium on to Prilosec but when I told him I was experiencing acid rebound he said he thought that my stomach is too weak and I would eventually have to go back on Nexium. Frustrating. Im about 5 weeks into coming off of PPIs. I've been ok but definitely still in pain despite cutting out coffee, chocolate, alcohol etc. Hoping this will pass soon. Its unbearable at times.
    I actually thought the rebound would last one or two weeks and was shocked to find out it was still in full force for me at week five and even week seven. Not everyone is the same, but by week five you could still be experiencing rebound. I think the trick is that all those extra acid producing parietal cells in your stomach wall that your body created while the acid was being suppressed have to go through their cycle and die off. In the meantime, they are producing a lot of extra acid. When those extra cells die off and, assuming there isn't such strong acid suppression going on, then your body will not produce so many acid producing cells and the rebound should begin to level off. I know I am not explaining the process correctly, but that is what I read in a couple of journals.

Are you taking any other medication to help you through the rebound? Any natural remedies?

Rose

Old 03-30-2010, 07:15 PM   #75
    Stellanyc
    (female)

Stellanyc HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosebloom View Post
    Hang in there if you can. I am now a little over two months off PPI's and can say that I have barely begun to feel semi-normal. I was still experiencing pretty bad rebound by week five. Therefore, when gastroenterologists write that rebound can last up to three months, I believe it. You are probably going through the worst of it right now. Nobody ever told me about acid rebound or the dependency the PPI's can create. It just seems like such an easy medication to prescribe that I think doctors now have a tendency to overprescribe it without thinking too much about it. Then, we are stuck.

I cut down my Zantac from 150 mg to 75 mg twice per day a couple of days ago to see if I can further wean myself off prescription medications. If I can hold it at 75 mg, I may stay there for a while with the blander diet, low carbs and other remedies I have been trying. But it has been a tough two months, that's for sure.

Rose
    Rose- Thanks for your reply. Im glad to hear that you have turned a corner... what a long process. I just started Zantac 150 2x a day. I felt much better today than I have over the last week (I hadn't taken a PPI in over a wk and it was getting very painful). Im afraid that after 3 months I'll need to go back on it... cant remember what symptons actually made me go on it in the first place. I just remember having upper GI pain. Anyway... keep me in loop to how you are doing. Hopefully you only have a few more weeks!

Closed Thread

Tags
    ppi (proton pump inhibitor)