It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Epi-Lasik [7 days post surgery]

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
    Taroogi
    (male)

Taroogi HB User
    Talking Epi-Lasik [7 days post surgery]

Hello all! I have been inspired to post here because I found a lot of comfort in reading about other peoples' experiences with refractive surgery.

I am 7 days post Epi-lasik. -8 in both eyes, slight astigmatism in my left eye.
    I did both eyes at the same time.

Currently, my right eye is seeing very well and is the only reason I am functional at the moment. My left eye (the one with the astigmatism in it) is currently still very blurry at all distances. I am worried about my left eye because it is harder to tell if it is improving or not.

Like many of you, I had some strange expectations after my procedure. Everybody -- from my family and friends to the employees at the eye center -- kept telling me I'd see great after the procedure! They really really inflated my expectations and this was very damaging after a few days after the procedure was done. When I didn't see great after day 4, I was pretty depressed for a while.

I find the most difficult thing with this whole procedure is fighting off the constant emotional swings that come with healing up. The only reason I am able to post this is because my right eye is doing awesome... and that's troubling because I'm worried about my left eye!

I have accepted the fact that in order to see perfect after this procedure I may still need to wear contacts/glasses. However, I am comforted greatly by the fact that I will now be functional without them! I will no longer be 'Millhouse'd' without my glasses! (The image of Millhouse from the Simpsons feeling around his surroundings every time he lost his glasses is something I'll never have to think about again when I lose my glasses

So far, I've learned to incorporate omega-3's into my diet: walnuts, flax. Take some multi-vitamins. NEVER squeeze my eyes shut. Concentrate on focusing on what I'm looking at without squinting (avoid unnecessary strain).

There's TONS of stuff you can do to help the recovery process and I'm curious to see what other fellow Epi-lasik people have to say about their recovery.

Now... everybody send good vibes my way... my left eye needs them

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
    Taroogi
    (male)

Taroogi HB User
    Re: Epi-Lasik [7 days post surgery]

Woke up today [day 8] and my left eye is much more functional! I can now read the computer screen and my cell phone with my left eye.

Another thing that I've noticed is that laying down and staring at the roof is very bad for my eyes. If you are in a position where your eye is constantly irritating you... change it! Sitting up and keeping my head straight was the way to go for me. I'll keep you all updated!

Old 09-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
    DaEsse
    (female)

DaEsse HB User

im 10 days post-op.

By day 8 i felt things were finally going well, then i woke up this morning and everything was blurry again. I dont get it. I thought it was fine and now its all screwed up again. Yesterday i went out and my eyes were struggling a little, it was the first time i was walking around outside at night, all the lights were blinding. I got home as fast as i could to get some rest.

I dont know if thats the reason my vision is all out of wack again. Im just SO frustrated because i was SO sure it was fine. Im having such a hard time dealing with this, afraid that my vision will only get worse, if my eyes are infected or something bah... im just overly paranoid probably. I just dont know what to do anymore. Im starting a new job this week and i dont know how im going to be able to work all day with this.

Hope this is normal... god i hope it is......

Old 09-05-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
    new eyes
    (female)

new eyes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaEsse View Post
    im 10 days post-op.

By day 8 i felt things were finally going well, then i woke up this morning and everything was blurry again. I dont get it. I thought it was fine and now its all screwed up again. Yesterday i went out and my eyes were struggling a little, it was the first time i was walking around outside at night, all the lights were blinding. I got home as fast as i could to get some rest.

I dont know if thats the reason my vision is all out of wack again. Im just SO frustrated because i was SO sure it was fine. Im having such a hard time dealing with this, afraid that my vision will only get worse, if my eyes are infected or something bah... im just overly paranoid probably. I just dont know what to do anymore. Im starting a new job this week and i dont know how im going to be able to work all day with this.

Hope this is normal... god i hope it is......
    I went through the same thing , but now at my 7th week after the epi lasik I am seeing very well.. It got much better after the 6th week ..hang in there..

Old 09-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
    new eyes
    (female)

new eyes HB User

I had the surgery and for the first 3 days with the protective contacts in it improved... but was very blurry maybe 20/40. My vision became worse on the 4th day when they removed the contacts... I was barely able to see. It slightly improved over the next 4 weeks, but was still very blurry. Didn't seem to improve much. Was only better when I put in eyedrops first thing in the morning, but would deteriorate again during the day. At the 5th week my left eye started to improve to maybe 20/40 in the morning but my right eye remained blurry. At the 6th week, left eye maybe 20/25, and right eye slight improvement. At the 7th week, left eye perfect...20/20, right eye maybe 20/40. At the 8th week, both eyes improved to 20/20. I hope this is some help to people who are worried, as I was, that it took weeks, not days, and I see better now than I've seen my entire life, even when I wore contacts.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
    Taroogi
    (male)

Taroogi HB User

Thanks for your input DaEsse and NewEyes!
    I'm about 3 weeks post-op and my vision is steadily improving day to day. I work in a greenhouse filled with orchids so I dont need to use my lubricating drops as much during the day. However, I do use them once or twice every few hours at home... it all really depends on how dry it is outside.

My right eye has better vision in the morning, left eye better in the late afternoon and at night. I'm still very cautious when driving at night... especially here in Santa Barbara where there are tons of bikers and skaters on the cross streets.

It's really good to know that your vision is still improving after week 6! I just cant wait to get back into the ocean and start surfing and swimming again.

I'm taking the following:
    1. 1x/day NatureMade Multi Complete vitamin
    2. 3-4tbsp ground flax-seed w/ morning meal... in cereal/oatmeal/yogurt
    3. Lubricating drops. Systane at home and Genteal gel-drops at work.
    4. FML Solution if my eyes become really irritated.

DaEsse, I had a really tough time with anxiety and depression during week 1 and into week 2. One day, my left eye was so red and itchy when I woke up that it just released all that negative energy and I broke down and had a full-on anxiety attack. After some eye drops and a little rest I realized how silly it is to think negatively... being stressed is just hindering your healing process. I know this may seem really, really, really, hard... but you have to take your mind off of your eyes. Your body would much rather be feeling like this instead of this

Good luck! and remember... dont stress!!!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #7
    neoblu
    (male)

neoblu HB User

Thank you all for posting your experience. I am deciding on Epi-Lasik now. I've read many ophthalmologists articles on how it's the "safest" especially without ALCOHOL and removing the epithelium entirely to speed up healing. But then running into this forum, people write about Epi-Lasik not being great. So it's frustrating b/c not everyone lists details.

Can I ask you guys "new eyes, Taroogi, DaEsse" specific q's:
    1) Was alcohol used to assist epithelium removal?
    2) Was the epithelium disposed or replaced back on eye?
    3) Have you done eye exercises (e.g. changing focus every 30min of computer usage, etc)??

THANKS and wish everyone a speedy recovery

Old 04-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
    RJZ5000
    (male)

RJZ5000 HB User

The advice I was given was to avoid watching tv or using computers for extended periods of time because your eyes need to adjust after surgery. Also using the tear drops 6-8 times a day can reduce blurred vision caused by dryness.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
    Taroogi
    (male)

Taroogi HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neoblu View Post
    Thank you all for posting your experience. I am deciding on Epi-Lasik now. I've read many ophthalmologists articles on how it's the "safest" especially without ALCOHOL and removing the epithelium entirely to speed up healing. But then running into this forum, people write about Epi-Lasik not being great. So it's frustrating b/c not everyone lists details.

Can I ask you guys "new eyes, Taroogi, DaEsse" specific q's:
    1) Was alcohol used to assist epithelium removal?
    2) Was the epithelium disposed or replaced back on eye?
    3) Have you done eye exercises (e.g. changing focus every 30min of computer usage, etc)??

THANKS and wish everyone a speedy recovery
    1) Unknown. Sorry.
    2) The epithelium was put back on, and a contact lens was put on after that.
    3) Yes. I just did eye exercises and stayed away from focusing on 1 thing too long. I didn't over-do it, though.

I had the procedure done in the middle of August 2009. It is now the middle of April.... about 8 months. My vision is great and i'm playing beach volleyball all the time. I always keep some artificial tears handy in case I get some irritation or dryness though. Best of luck!

Closed Thread