It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Getting off PPI's and acid rebound

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #91
    ksc1968
    (female)

ksc1968 HB Userksc1968 HB User
    Re: Getting off PPI's and acid rebound

Well Im several weeks into my venture. I have successfully come off of 30mg prevacid to 15 mg with no additional problems, with the exception of the first couple days having a burning sensation in stomach.That passed and I have been doing great. Im about ready to start to dump out half of the 15 mg capsule, to take me down to approx 7 mg...wish me luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #92
    Flyerfan
    (female)

Flyerfan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LMF123 View Post
    Hi Flyer,

What do you mean by you were afraid you were doing more harm than good?
    I am concerned that having heartburn every day is not good for me. I am just not sure how long I should give it to "settle down". I am not taking the Zantac every day. The last two days I have just used Tums as the heartburn occurs. The heartburn seems to come after anything I eat, despite what I eat.

When is your GI appointment? I am still certain I am doing the right thing as when I look back at how many side effects I had, it is almost alarming. I just don't know what the alternative will be if the rebound doesn't settle down and I don't want to go onto PPI's.

Have a great day.
    Since I didn't consult with a doctor prior I, too felt it was not good to have the heartburn every day like that. I have a GI appt in 3 weeks. I haven't seen one in about 8 years and they have since moved their practice farther away so this is a new doc for me. I'm interested to see what his stand is on getting off these blasted drugs.

Today I didn't take the Aciphex, only Zantac and had little, if any of the side effects I mentioned. I'm going to try again tomorrow and see how it goes. Taking it day by day right now.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:12 AM   #93
    Stellanyc
    (female)

Stellanyc HB User

Rose- Thank you for your continued updates. As for me, I went back on Nexium after 5 weeks of coming off of it. I plan to try to get back off of it at some point but after 5 weeks of being off of it my constipation got REALLY bad (which was the reason I was trying to get off of it in the first place). It was unmanagable to have the pain from acid rebound as well as not being able to go to the bathroom. It turns out that my doctor is pretty confident that I have a thyroid disorder and has prescibed me 60mg of Armour Thyroid daily. Im sure I will be back on this board at some point once I get my thyroid straightened out but I will continue to read about everyone's progress so please continue to update us all!

Old 04-15-2010, 08:10 AM   #94
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

I am still off the Aciphex and only on Zantac twice a day plus the other supplements, DGL, etc. I seem to have three or four decent days and then one or two either so-so or bad days. I am not sure why. That may just be what the disease is going to be like for me without the PPI. I am being careful with the diet, taking my supplements.
    I find this tolerable, but do not know what is going on internally and if those two days when I have heartburn are doing serious damage to my esophagus.

With respect to the poster who wrote that being off PPI's made her constipated after a few weeks, I experienced all sorts of weird side effects during more than six or seven weeks as I was trying to come off the Aciphex. I had constipation, bloating, pain in my sternum and all sorts of other weird symptoms I never had before the PPI. Now, I seem to just be back to the same old heartburn that got me on the PPI in the first place, but all the other weird symptoms have sort of resolved. Maybe five weeks off a PPI is not long enough to figure out what is PPI withdrawal and what are one's own symptoms. Unfortunately, neither of my doctors has been much help in this regard.

Rose

Old 04-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #95
    LMF123
    (female)

LMF123 HB User

Hi everyone,

Well I tried something different for me this morning. I am at 3 1/2 weeks off Nexium and have been treating with Tums/Gaviscon and occassionally Zantac. When the heartburn hits, it is absolutely dreadful. Pain in my esophagus and awful burning. I can see how people just go back on the PPI's because if I had to live this way indefinately, I would be miserable.

This morning I took a Zantac 150mg on an empty stomach. So far so good. Perhaps I need to do that until things settle down. There are so many unknowns, it just seems like a game we are guessing at what is the right and wrong thing to do.

I do know that I had considerable physical side effects and I have to find a way to stay off the PPI's.

So frustrating....

Old 04-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #96
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

[QUOTE=LMF123;4226248]Hi everyone,

Well I tried something different for me this morning. I am at 3 1/2 weeks off Nexium and have been treating with Tums/Gaviscon and occassionally Zantac. When the heartburn hits, it is absolutely dreadful. Pain in my esophagus and awful burning. I can see how people just go back on the PPI's because if I had to live this way indefinately, I would be miserable.

This morning I took a Zantac 150mg on an empty stomach. So far so good. Perhaps I need to do that until things settle down. There are so many unknowns, it just seems like a game we are guessing at what is the right and wrong thing to do.

I do know that I had considerable physical side effects and I have to find a way to stay off the PPI's.

Hi LMF:

I am so glad you brought up the point about taking Zantac on an empty stomach. I meant to post about this, but I had completely forgotten about it it until you mentioned it in this post.

When I take the Zantac first thing in the morning with water and wait thirty or so minutes before I eat anything else, the Zantac seems to be absorbed and work better all day. When I am in a rush and take the Zantac along with all my other vitamins and breakfast, it seems to either not work or not work as well. It took me a while to figure this out but I have seen a definite pattern. I now take Zantac with water first thing in the morning, take my shower and when I get out of the shower and dry my hair, then I go and take my vitamins with almond milk and whole grain toast. That seems to work reasonably well or work perhaps ninety percent of the time.

I now have to go back and pay closer attention to see if any future "bad" days correlate with a day when I was in a rush and could not give the Zantac the chance to be absorbed by my stomach before I took a bunch of other competing stuff along with it.

Maybe this information will help others who are also using the H2 blockers instead of the PPI. When I took Aciphex, I could take it any time, with or without food. Before that, when I took Zegerid, I had to take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and wait thirty minutes before I could eat anything else.

I don't know if others see a correlation between how they take their medicine and its effect.

I am still hanging in there. I had another decent day today. I did not notice any heartburn all day and did not find myself thinking about it either, which is a nice break.

I could not have stayed off the Aciphex without some other type of medication to ease the rebound. The heartburn was so bad the first two-three weeks that I would have gone back running to the Aciphex. It was worse than anything I experienced before I began to take the PPI. This is why I am now trying so hard to stay off the Aciphex and continue taking milder/older medications like Zantac.

Rose

Old 04-16-2010, 06:59 AM   #97
    darkchoc4
    (male)

darkchoc4 HB User

On Constipation:

Just be aware that some of the OTC meds used to neutralize stomach acid are "binding", and some are "loosening" agents. Tums is calcium based and therefore is a binding agent and if you take a few of those every day, you likely will get constipated. Mylanta is magnesium based and too much can give you mild diarrhea. (Note Calcium and Iron both tend to be binding.)

For those who get constipated, try Mylanta a bit more, or at least avoid Tums. Rumor has it Gaviscon has both Calcium and Magnesium, and may be more balanced. Obviously it's a personal thing, but IMO being a tad loose is way better than being constipated!

Old 04-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #98
    marigoldgirl81
    (female)

marigoldgirl81 HB Usermarigoldgirl81 HB User

Well, i was never one of the lucky ones ppi's helped, so my esophagus has been burning every day for like 9 or 10 months now... i have no choice but to get off these as they are what is killing me i think..BUT i am seeing a naturopathic dr now and he said he has treated about 400 of my cases. My husbands cousin is also a naturopathic dr in another state and conferred (sp?) with this dr.'s opinion independently. Basically, they said they are seeing alot of people whom for various reasons get on ppi's, but then develop worse symptoms or side effects, etc. Ppi's encourage gastroparesis since you have such a lack of stomach acid, which is happening to me, when there isn't a proper ph balance in my stomach, the duoedoum (sp?) won't open correctly allowing fermenting gases up the esopahgus through the LES. There is much more to it. Also, my constant throat/skin infections DEFINITELY are related to ppi's. I knew it, they have been improving (knock on wood) since cutting down to 20 mg prilosec a day. For someone whom has had esophagitis everyday for so many months, coming off ppi's has been, torturous to say the least....but i now have lost 30 lbs!! during my ppi therapy since last July...NOT good, under 110 now. So, i have no choice, wish i wouldn't have let my dr tell me the ppis would never cause all of this...too trusting i was..you live and learn.

So, i am on a incredibly strict diet by his nutritionist and everything has to be pureed. I had no grain, dairy or meat for 1 1/2 weeks, now allowed brown rice here and there. My ND said he doesn't know how all of these GI dr's get away with prescribing these and never doing anything about what is actually out of balance, they just mask the symptoms. We have no money and this is NOT cheap, but i am so sick that i have decided to try this dr out. He has explained what is going on in my GI system so much better than 2 GI's and one internist. Boy, are we a bandaid nation or what...my oh my, what a price to pay.

The Following User Says Thank You to marigoldgirl81 For This Useful Post:
    kraftpaper (12-26-2010)
    Old 04-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #99
    LMF123
    (female)

LMF123 HB User

Good morning,

Such great information on here. It is giving me the strength to continue with this because let me tell you, it would be easier to run back to the Nexium.

Rose, I am so glad to hear that things are settling down for you. I did end up taking a few tums late yesterday afternoon but taking the Zantac on an empty stomach seemed to be more effective in that I made it to late in the day before I had any discomfort. Yes I still had some heartburn but I am still less than a month off the Nexium.

I have a couple of questions also Rose. Do you know if there is a difference between the OTC Zantac and the prescription? Have you noticed or read any long term side effects of Zantac? Does your Doctor know you are making this transition and at what point would you have another clinical test to see how you are doing?

I am experiencing headaches but again I don't know if it is the Zantac or just my body adjusting.

Thanks again for all the useful information.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #100
    jayner1
    (female)

jayner1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkchoc4 View Post
    On Constipation:

Just be aware that some of the OTC meds used to neutralize stomach acid are "binding", and some are "loosening" agents. Tums is calcium based and therefore is a binding agent and if you take a few of those every day, you likely will get constipated. Mylanta is magnesium based and too much can give you mild diarrhea. (Note Calcium and Iron both tend to be binding.)

For those who get constipated, try Mylanta a bit more, or at least avoid Tums. Rumor has it Gaviscon has both Calcium and Magnesium, and may be more balanced. Obviously it's a personal thing, but IMO being a tad loose is way better than being constipated!
    This is great information about H2 blockers...do you happen to know about Zantac is is more 'binding' or 'loosening' or is it more balanced ?
    Thanks for the info !

Old 04-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #101
    seebrown
    (female)

seebrown HB User

Hey, Rose & all,

How much DGL Licorice do you take a day? I've cut my omiprazole in half, skipping taking it on good days, and supplementing with ranitidine and DGL Licorice. The licorice is working wonders, but the recommended usage says 3 a day, and on bad days I'd like to take more (I ate 5 yesterday). Do you know if it's bad to eat that many or if there is a max?

Last edited by seebrown; 04-16-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #102
    LMF123
    (female)

LMF123 HB User

Me again - sorry for all the questions!

When starting Zantac, did anyone else have headaches? Do these go away with time?

At this stage, I am unsure what are symptoms from not taking the PPI and what are from the Zantac.....

Thanks.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #103
    seebrown
    (female)

seebrown HB User

I never had any problems with Zantac (ranitidine). I'm trying to phase back to that now, because the PPI I take does give me some weird side-effects, but the ranitidine never gave me any side effects. I did a quick search for it though, and it looks like it can cause headaches in some cases.

Last edited by seebrown; 04-16-2010 at 01:44 PM.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #104
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LMF123 View Post
    Good morning,

Such great information on here. It is giving me the strength to continue with this because let me tell you, it would be easier to run back to the Nexium.

Rose, I am so glad to hear that things are settling down for you. I did end up taking a few tums late yesterday afternoon but taking the Zantac on an empty stomach seemed to be more effective in that I made it to late in the day before I had any discomfort. Yes I still had some heartburn but I am still less than a month off the Nexium.

I have a couple of questions also Rose. Do you know if there is a difference between the OTC Zantac and the prescription? Have you noticed or read any long term side effects of Zantac? Does your Doctor know you are making this transition and at what point would you have another clinical test to see how you are doing?

I am experiencing headaches but again I don't know if it is the Zantac or just my body adjusting.

Thanks again for all the useful information.
    My understanding is that prescription Zantac comes in either 150 mg or 300 mg doses. One of the OTC Zantac is now 150 mg. That is what I take. I am not sure there is much more of a difference beyond that.

I am prone to develop headaches and I think both the Aciphex and Zantac probably contribute to them.

Zantac has been around for a long, long time (over twenty five years) and I have not read of serious side effects like the increase in stomach tumors and hip fractures that you read about in some studies on PPI use. However, I am sure all medicines have side effects.

I make sure to take Zantac on an empty stomach and wait thirty minutes before I eat or drink anything else. I want to give it a chance for my body to absorb the medication.

I have found Zantac a bit constipating. But it is a histamine blocker and I get the same effect from Benadryl which is a different type of histamine blocker. I drink prune juice and take fiber tablets almost daily which help for that. Not too glamorous but it works and keeps me from using laxatives which is not a good thing to use regularly.

I am sure I will follow up with a gastro doctor sometime in the future and probably have another endoscopy. But I would have done that even if I had stayed on the Aciphex. I think those of us who suffer from these symptoms should probably be scoped once every five years even in the absence of symptoms. You can have damage and not feel heartburn.

Rose

Old 04-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #105
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marigoldgirl81 View Post
    Well, i was never one of the lucky ones ppi's helped, so my esophagus has been burning every day for like 9 or 10 months now... i have no choice but to get off these as they are what is killing me i think..BUT i am seeing a naturopathic dr now and he said he has treated about 400 of my cases. My husbands cousin is also a naturopathic dr in another state and conferred (sp?) with this dr.'s opinion independently. Basically, they said they are seeing alot of people whom for various reasons get on ppi's, but then develop worse symptoms or side effects, etc. Ppi's encourage gastroparesis since you have such a lack of stomach acid, which is happening to me, when there isn't a proper ph balance in my stomach, the duoedoum (sp?) won't open correctly allowing fermenting gases up the esopahgus through the LES. There is much more to it. Also, my constant throat/skin infections DEFINITELY are related to ppi's. I knew it, they have been improving (knock on wood) since cutting down to 20 mg prilosec a day. For someone whom has had esophagitis everyday for so many months, coming off ppi's has been, torturous to say the least....but i now have lost 30 lbs!! during my ppi therapy since last July...NOT good, under 110 now. So, i have no choice, wish i wouldn't have let my dr tell me the ppis would never cause all of this...too trusting i was..you live and learn.

So, i am on a incredibly strict diet by his nutritionist and everything has to be pureed. I had no grain, dairy or meat for 1 1/2 weeks, now allowed brown rice here and there. My ND said he doesn't know how all of these GI dr's get away with prescribing these and never doing anything about what is actually out of balance, they just mask the symptoms. We have no money and this is NOT cheap, but i am so sick that i have decided to try this dr out. He has explained what is going on in my GI system so much better than 2 GI's and one internist. Boy, are we a bandaid nation or what...my oh my, what a price to pay.
    Marigold:

I would love to read more on what your naturopath is telling you and the reasons behind the treatment he or she is prescribing. The idea of eating pureed food when the stomach is irritated makes good sense to me. It gives your gut a chance to rest.

My acid rebound coming off Aciphex was horrible and I think it has lasted nearly three months. I feel like I am just now beginning to have more "normal" days on the Zantac. The first month off PPI's, not only did I have horrible attacks of heartburn, but I also had bloating, pain and many other symptoms I had never suffered from before. Anything I ate gave me heartburn. I think even pureed food would have given me heartburn. I immediately cut out the main offenders such as coffee, alcohol, etc. but even then I would have days of constant heartburn and throat irritation.

I had to do some digging to come up with literature on rebound and finally found some journal article somewhere that stated it could last three or more months. I am glad I read that or I would have run back to the PPI after two weeks of misery.

What makes me really angry is that I was on an H2 blocker and not doing badly three years ago when I went to the GI doctor to see why I could not get rid of the heartburn and find out whether something else was wrong. The PPI's were pushed on me as "far superior" and guaranteed to make me feel better. Nobody told me about side effects and I failed to do my research back then.

I am very health conscious. I don't smoke or drink alcohol in excess. I am not overweight at 125 lbs. I exercise. I still ended with this darn GERD and now have osteopenia to boot due to PPI use for only three years!

I may have to do some research on naturopathic medicine to see if I can find books to read and see what their philosophy is in this area. I feel modern traditional medicine has failed me on this GERD/PPI deal.

Rose

Closed Thread

Tags
    ppi (proton pump inhibitor)