It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety is making me lose love for everything.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2010, 01:38 AM   #1
    lor7789
    (female)

lor7789 HB User
    Unhappy Anxiety is making me lose love for everything.

Hello, I am 19 years old and feel as though I have been suffering from a mixture of depression and anxiety for the past two months. I take no medication and see a psychologist once a month.

For the first month, out of no where, I had about 3 big anxiety attacks that left me on the floor crying and for some reason I found it incredibly hard to stop trying to rub my hands (nervous reaction?), I also felt sick to my stomach and felt as though I had to get the heck out of the place I was currently at and thought that nothing would get better. Days after that I didnt feel like myself, and felt as though I was loseing love for the people that were around me, and for no apparent reason. The feeling that I was loseing my love for my current boyfriend of 3 years was the worst and caused me more anxiety because I was confused on why I was feeling that way (nothing had happened between us, and the day before the anxiety attack I felt more love than ever for him).

Days continue to pass with me constantly feeling hopeless and not finding enjoyment in things that I once found simple pleasures in. Every so often I'll get sick to my stomach with anxiety and begin to feel extremely dizzy. Even objects make me anxious, I feel nuts. One thing that seemed to make me feel better was my current choice to take a complex vitamin B pill every day at lunch (gives me hope that i could take something to relax me). I will most likely see a psychiatrist in a week or so but am slightly afraid of being perscribed medication (words of encouragement?).

I dont think anything sparked my anxiety, although things occured a few months earlier with my fathers health that was incredibly scarry but felt as though I delt with it well. (My father and I are incredibly close and he has been very supportive lately)

I guess my question to all of you is, "is it possible to lose love for the ones closest to you due to depression or anxiety, like your boyfriend speciffically?" , "what are some herbal or natural things people take to reduce anxiety/depression?" , "What anxiety medications are out there for people my age, and are there more positives about them than negatives?"

Thank you for reading and helping, I know I wrote quite a bit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
    ritualangst
    (female)

ritualangst HB User
    Re: Anxiety is making lose love for everything.

i am much older than you but i feel your pain and fear ~ anxiety takes away so much of what normal people enjoy in their life ~ my attacks have been going on for 3 years now and they are very common to yours ~ the constant rubbing of the hands is a very typical symptom ~ upset stomach ~ feel like you are going crazy ~ just looking at something that has caused me to have an anxiety attack will cause me to have another one and that makes you even more anxious ~ you need to get control of this soon because at 19 you have your entire life ahead of you ~ please see a counselor and as many times as you need to and if they want you to try something to help with the attacks that may be a good idea ~ my experience with medication was not helpful but i am just one out of millions so please do not take that into consideration ~ there is hope out there ~ keep trying!! keep the faith ~

Old 04-07-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
    lor7789
    (female)

lor7789 HB User

thank you ritualangst I set up an appointment with a psychiatrist and am feeling very hopeful.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:56 AM   #4
    lor7789
    (female)

lor7789 HB User

They suggested I begin taking zoloft. I've now been incredibly anxious thinking about starting the medications, and I'm having fears that it will "change me", like it will dull me down. I dont know if thats irrational or not.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Hi there! Yes, this sounds very normal and can definitely happen with anxiety/depression. I know I've started to get to where I can't enjoy things like I used to. I recently purchased the car I've wanted since I was a child (a Chevy Camaro) with all of the upgrades.... and while I'm very happy, I just don't get that excitement and joy that I'd typically get! I get periods of time when I do feel it, then not. It's like the bad things just overwhelm me. Lately for me the anxiety/depression IS caused from events (I just lost a loved one), but I also used to feel that way without reason, just like you. It's very confusing when you don't even know why you feel that way.

I tried everything I could, such as regular workouts to help keep stress and anxiety down, eating right, getting enough sleep, but eventually I decided to try medication. Prozac helped me a lot, but yes, it does have some side effectcs for me. It makes me feel drowsy. I'm actually going to talk to my doctor about it soon because I want to see if I can change my dose or possibly mix it with Wellbutrin, which is supposed to help with energy. I tried Prozac because the side effects seemed much less than other kinds. No weight gain, nothing very bad, just drowsiness. Sometimes I space out more and tend to have a hard time concentrating.

If you do try medication, I suggest starting with the lowest dosage. If you start with something higher, you will only feel any side effects more intensely. Start low, then slowly add on to it if you dont feel that it's working for you. I haven't tried Zoloft myself, but I've heard good things about it too. Taking a low dose should help prevent that "numb" feeling too. Remember, you can always go off of it if you don't like it! Your worries are completely normal. I thought about the same things.

Definitely look into it... you don't want to continue to feel this way! I know how awful it feels to struggle with anxiety and let it take away your joy! You don't want that to get worse!

Old 04-23-2010, 11:10 PM   #6
    lor7789
    (female)

lor7789 HB User

Thank you so much Turrrra for your response! I to am regularly working out as well as keeping a HUGE eye on what I eat. I've also introduced chamomile tea into my diet suggested by a friend to calm me down...not quite sure how much its really working out though, but it cant hurt. If I do start zoloft I will definitely start on a low dose, and hearing that a lower does wont totally numb me is definitely comforting.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Yeah I'm all for taking medication in SMALL dosages! I try to take as little as I can get away with so I don't feel all drugged up or numb. Sometimes I still feel less focused and have a harder time concentrating, but I don't feel numb at all... and it's worth it for me feeling happier and calmer! I feel like I almost have ADD since taking Prozac, althought not severe enough to cause issues. I just write things down so I don't forget and I stay pretty organized and I've been doing just fine. I hope Zoloft helps you out! Keep us updated if you do decide to try it. Just try the lowest dose and see how that goes for you. You can always slowly increase it if you need to, and can always get back if you find that it's too much. If it's a tablet form, you can even ask your doctor about cutting it in half. Of course this won't work for certain kinds of pills, but I sometimes do this with my Xanax tablets.

I hope the tea helps too! Sometimes little things like that can really make a big difference. Sometimes it's not the tea itself, but the warmness of the drink can be soothing. Definitely take a few minutes here and there to relax and have some tea or do something else calming. It helps out with anxiety sooo much. I bought these great bath salts that have a relaxing scent and take a nice bath and read when I'm feeling very anxious. It's like a good "time out" or a little escape from life!

Old 04-27-2010, 03:06 AM   #8
    lor7789
    (female)

lor7789 HB User

I will definitely keep you guys updated on the zoloft situation. Out of curiousity, can anxiety diminish a persons libido? Im starting to feel improvement when it comes to the anxiety levels when I'm around my boyfriend, but their still quite high/increase when he wants to get intimate. I also tend to have no want for any sexual activity lately. Am I getting anxious because I dont want it?

Old 04-27-2010, 03:40 AM   #9
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

I know when I have anxiety, I do not want to get intimate. I do not even want to kiss or hug. I just want to be left alone. Our thoughts are on one thing our symptoms of anxiety and so we don't want to be bothered by anything else.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, anxiety can definitely cause changes in your libido. I think most people tend to have decreased libido when depressed or anxious, but some have an increase. Some people find it a good way to HELP with anxiety to be intimate. Medications can sometimes cause a decrease in libido as well and some can even cause trouble with having an orgasm. It's crazy how meds can affect so much. That's why I definitely prefer lower dosages to keep those side effect risks down!

Old 05-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
    lor7789
    (female)

lor7789 HB User

My anxiety around my boyfriend has been steadily improveing, although for the past few days I've noticed an increase again, not just the anxiety when I'm around him but anxiety about life. I just cant stop myself of thinking about the future, of moving in with him or being with him forever. I mean if you asked me what I wanted to do with my life before I began getting the feelings of anxiety, the first thing I would have said is that I wanted to move in with my boyfriend and spend forever with him. I just hope my recent increase in anxiety around him is just my general levels of anxiety riseing again.

I have joined an anxiety class, its one of the best things I could have done. Just having that support has been amazeing.

One of the reasons I felt like updateing this is because of my recent feelings of everything being pointless. I gues my anxiety is mixing with depression again. I try to get exciteing for things, but I end up making myself anxious with my regular thoughts. I just want to break down and cry most of the time.

Sometimes I feel like this will never go away, and I havent taken the medication because I was feeling improvement, but when my improvement dips...i feel so hopeless and horrible.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #12
    17girlcorpse
    (female)

17girlcorpse HB User

im younger than you im 17 i take prozac it makes me feel sick dumbs me down but its the only way i can cope, depression medication does tend to make people change not massivly though but you will be slower a little zombied at worst

Last edited by msmod; 05-13-2010 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Replaced U with You. As per the posting rules, always use real words in your posts. Ms_Mod

Old 05-13-2010, 12:08 AM   #13
    lor7789
    (female)

lor7789 HB User

so over all you feel like the medication is more of a positive than a negative?

Old 05-13-2010, 06:02 AM   #14
    WhenItRains
    Veteran
    (female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User

I don't feel sick or dumbed down and I'm on Prozac too.I mostly feel like myself,except that I can deal with things a little easier then before.I'm not crying over every little thing,and I feel like I have more confidence.

When you first start though,it is normal to have side effects until your body adjusts to the medicine.This can take a few weeks.
    I would say the first week or so I felt a bit MORE anxious,a little irritated and tired.
    After the second week I started feeling a lot better.
    It can take up to 2 months before feeling the FULL benefits though.

I think that something is definitely going with you.Perhaps you have low serotonin levels.In that case,the medication could really help you.The only way to really know is to try.

Definitely sounds like you are having some cold feet with your boyfriend though.That can be pretty normal.Moving in together is a big step.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:50 AM   #15
    tulum
    (female)

tulum HB Usertulum HB User

Please try to stay away from meds unless absolutely necessary. It's just a big business, making healthy people sick with little help.

I feel meds cause more problems and make things worse which outweighs any benefits.

You are SO young, and you are able to exercise, you have a life to live, you have your entire future, your youth, you are healthy, you can do so much with your life

LIVE while you are young and distract yourself, start something you are passionate about

You'll be FINE.

Closed Thread