It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• Lupus and blood pressure spikes when sleeping.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-30-2010, 04:09 AM   #76
    Laurie Boucher
    (female)

Laurie Boucher HB User
    Re: Lupus and blood pressure spikes when sleeping.

Just a quick respone to the herbs and meds. My endocrinlologist said I could drink chamomile tea with the Zanax, And I have without any issues. It's very calming. Fanatic that I am, I drink the Yogi organic. I'm trying to avoid any toxins in everthing I eat and put on my body.

Regards, Laurie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2010, 06:53 AM   #77
    Sunsetnan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB User

Woke at 4AM this morning. My eldest was awake with a light in the kitchen getting something to drink. Checked up on him. Afterward, I sat in bed, knowing that four and a half hours was not enough sleep, but after the fifth hot flash- like episode in a row, I kind of knew that I wouldn't be going back to sleep. Sat in bed 'til 5AM, and decided I might as well be productive and got up. I did sleep well on the hour trip back from the doctor yesterday.

Mongenix, I am sorry to hear of your ER trip and continued episodes. It must be some comfort to know that you have the fast- acting medication if your bp gets up there. When this all began, I would not have put a bet on the fact that I had an anxiety- related diagnosis. I had people much smarter than me who had convinced me I had something else. Besides, the only thing that was making me anxious was being sick and all the tests trying to prove it, lol. Finding out the cause is half the battle right there. But, I suppose it is comforting in a way to know that they have covered all their bases by checking for the rare possibilities.

Laurie, I believe that society encourages us to push ourselves passed our own body's limits. Employers are stressed, and push their employees for better production, longer hours, often making up for lack of manpower. I remember one of my supervisors asking me why I could not come to work sick like everybody else! Can you believe that? (For one thing, I was working in a hospital around sick children and babies!) She was obviously responding to her own pressures of a high census and low staff. And we are our own worst enemies. I believe pushing my limits in exercising, trying to lose weight, etc... and juggling everyday life struggles along with having a chronic illness set me up for this. It's a hard lesson to learn.

And I believe our way back to health involves taking care of ourselves, by eating right, eliminating stressors, getting adequate sleep, etc.. Our bodies have spoken... enough is enough. But, easier said than done, right? For some reason, my family's expectations don't seem to quit just because I'm sick. Their favorite saying is, "But, you're always sick!" Laurie, its good that you can set less work hours and get more rest. And, I'm sure that getting your thyroid in line, will help as well.

When I approached my shrink yesterday about some alternative aids like herbal teas, she was adamantly against them. "I don't want you to take teas," she said. She's not convinced that menopause is involved, but isn't ruling it out. "There are many things involved," she said, or something like that. It's hard to get a straight answer out of her. She acknowledged the fact that I have been having problems with my autonomic nervous system throughout my life and even is open to the fact that my behaviors including the pseudophedrine and caffeine contributed to getting it overly stimulated. She did encourage me that she would get me back to my old self. From her mouth to God's ears! She, again, brought up that she felt my internalizing things have contributed to my ill health. I'm more convinced that getting a virus and genetics have played a bigger part, but I'll concede that stress, and probably how I react to it plays a part, too. In the end, she doubled the dose of my Zoloft, and charged my insurance. Ka-*****! (lol) I'm sure she means well, but it is quite comical to observe how after a certain amount of time, no matter what we are talking about, or are in the middle of, she bolts out the door, ending the session. It's as if she has claustrophobia! (lol) Or maybe it's me she can't take! I think it is a time- thing. But, there is no, "I'm sorry, our time is up," or "we'll discuss this more at our next session." She just gets up and bolts out the door. She even answered a cell phone call and left the room to talk right in the middle. (And it didn't sound like an emergency.) Even before that, she made me wait a whole hour to see her from my arrival and appointment time. She took four people before me. (And we called ahead to see if she was running on time.) I was just hoping that my Xanax wouldn't wear off before I got to see her. You have to laugh... it's therapeutic, right?

Best regards,
    Nan

Old 05-01-2010, 12:34 AM   #78
    goldyfm
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

Sunsetnan, I wanted to give the name of a doctor that specializes in Dysautonomia, it is I believe Lynn Frederickson (my mind is not as sharp with names as it used to be) She did write a book on the subject. You might benefit from her wisdom if you can locate her book. She used to be at a University based hospital here but has since moved to another facility. I hope that helps in your research on your problem.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:33 AM   #79
    Laurie Boucher
    (female)

Laurie Boucher HB User

Your right Nan, laughing (espcially outloud) is very theraputic. I've started recording comical shows that make me laugh outloud, and watch them during some of my down time. I never watched much TV, but it forces me to sit for a while. I've had no episoded since MOnday (4/26). I'm fortunate that I don't have a young family to take care of. My youngest is in college, the older two are married and I have 4 grandchildren. Right now I feel better thatn I have since the onset back in February of this year.
    I'm taking Zanax at bedtime for sleep, and am going to ask to change to Tarazadone, as that is supposed to help with the later stages of sleep that my body is not getting.
    I know my thyroid is imporving, many of the symptoms particular to overactive thyoid are diminished. Thiis weekend I am goingto do minimal housework, wash an cooking. Otherwise I will enjoy the nice weather and resax. My sister lives on a lake, my husband I'll spend the day with her and her husband who is recuuperating from partial lung removal surgery. We all keep each other company.
    Have a great event free day!
    Laurie

Old 05-01-2010, 06:47 AM   #80
    Sunsetnan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB User

Thank you, goldfm. I did look up dysautomia and saw the link to several of the books. Didn't know which to consider, and whether they were legitimate literature. When I mentioned ordering one to my husband, he was against it. Probably thinking the same way. Your recommendation will hopefully point me in the right direction.

Laurie: I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better. In my efforts to find ways to get better when none of the doctors knew what was going on, I had found a link from a woman who claimed to have cured her hyperthyroidism without medication. As a curiosity only, I read her story. She surrounded herself with only positive things. Similar to the Cousins' theory that laughter helps heal. She watched only positive movies or TV programs, painted the inside of her house in certain positive- encouraging colors (similar to feng-shui I suppose), practiced yoga- like exercises, and only ate healthy organic foods, etc. I suppose it is kind of like doing the opposite of what we probably have been doing, trying to get to a state of health.

When I had problems with Fibromyalgia, I took Trazodone and it and Lexapro helped get me back to getting good quality sleep. My husband, who has problems with insomnia, is currently taking Trazodone (and has been for years) and it is one of the medications he has had the most success with. You are suppose to dedicate at least 6 hours of sleep when you take it and it does make it harder to get up in the morning with a bit of a leftover drowsiness. It is also one that should be tapered off of when you stop taking it, as I remember. I had asked my psychiatrist about something for sleep when I first saw her, and she wanted to concentrate on one medication at a time, or so I interpreted. My doctor had suggested Trazodone to me at one point, but he finally prescribed Ativan (but that had the opposite effect) and he had me stop taking it. I remember being on Trazodone many years ago during a camping trip, and I was stumbling around, quite drowsy, and trying to get my youngest to the bathroom (outhouse) in the middle of the night, up a hill, down the road, in the freezing cold. Needless to say, the second night, I had him pee in a big cup!

As for my first day on the double dose of Zoloft, I still had anxiety problems, although I believe they were not as intense. I also didn't have problems with the heart palpitations I had been having, but it is still early in the game to see if these effects are due to the increase. But, I will take any improvement. Did have stomach problems in the evening with more nausea and a bit dizzy. Still having bouts of low blood pressure, and my allergies are acting up (it's that time of year).

Hoping for a better day.
    Best wishes,
    Nan

Old 05-02-2010, 07:00 AM   #81
    Sunsetnan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Had a good day yesterday, most likely due to the increase in Zoloft. As usual, I pushed myself to the max, but it was so good not to feel so anxious, that I couldn't help but want to do the things I used to be able to do. While my husband was out of town with our eldest son, I took our youngest to his baseball game. I stayed there for the two hours and a half, cheering and groaning as the case may be. (They lost.) Then, I dropped off my son and a friend to a birthday party and swung over to the pharmacy drive- thru to chase down a prescription. Later, after a bit of a nap, I picked up the kids and brought them home and when my husband returned, we went to evening church services. No need for Xanax all day! I am certainly not feeling NORMAL yet. My thinking is still not the usual, I still feel a bit cloudy- headed, and I felt terribly nauseous during church (no reflection on the preaching, lol), and several hot flashes. But, I'm doing better and that is my goal, all without a blood pressure spike.

I took my blood pressure before I went to bed and again in the morning when I decided I was getting up for good. At 6AM it was 146/ 89. Did I have another mini- spike? Or did I just miss capturing it's highest reading because I went to the BR first? And, why did it happen? I was dreaming, but it was nothing scary or action- filled. Other possibilities: too low bp, low blood sugar, low heart rate, apnea... none of which showed up on any test. I always take my blood pressure in a certain position, with feet down and sitting up, etc... so no variable for that. I know it isn't that high, but that's not the point. It's medical curiosity and trying to figure out what is going on with my body. The last spike was Thursday morning, three days ago. What makes these mornings different? I did sleep later... I actually was in bed for 7 1/2 hours and was able to go back to sleep when I woke at 4:30AM. Did my husband snore loudly and wake me? The decibels get pretty high there in the morning. Or, is my body just messed up with this dysautomia and there is no logical reason? But, it happens in the later morning... maybe a certain stage of sleep? Any ideas?

Actually feel pretty good this morning; that's what a little shot of adrenaline can do for you, lol. My neck has been hurting now for the last few weeks or so. It makes some terribly noisy cracking sounds when I turn it. I have neglected to mention it because it has been the least of my problems. My right neck gland is slightly swollen and tender- I did mention the possibility that it had signaled the return of a flare of Lupus before. Don't think me hypochondriacal, although with anxiety disorders, that tendency is real. I have to be in tune with my body, and its signals. It may be telling me what I already know. I'm still doing too much. The housekeeper was another no show, and we have several house guests. My husband thrives on chaos and I do not. (Did I mention he suffers from ADHD?) I think I need to write a big note to myself (and maybe my hubby) and tape it up on the bathroom mirror. SLOW DOWN!

Hope my thoughts are helpful to others. They are therapeutic for me to write them down and reread them.
    Best to all,
    Nan
    P.S. My bp three hours later is 98/ 70 just after a big flushing/ sweating episode!

Last edited by Sunsetnan; 05-02-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Post script added

Old 05-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #82
    Laurie Boucher
    (female)

Laurie Boucher HB User

I had a good day yesterday until around 5pm. My blood pressure was low, 93/54 and a massive headache. I relaxed the rest of the day, not that I did much af anything during the day other than light housekeepig, preparing a meal and visiting with My sister. She lives on a lake so we sat on the deck and enjoyes the views. But I do feel better today. Maybe it's time to reduce my bp meds. I'll see my endo Tuesday.
    Nan, I have been eating healthy, mostly organic when I can. I never eat processed foods, unless someone else prepares them, out of politeness. I've even eliminated Tyramine and gluten out of my diet as much as possible and never ever eat artificial sweetners. I avoid sugar as much as possible, but use "stevia" as a sweetner when needed. I buy no lotions, soaps shampoos etc that have parabens, laurel sulphate etc. I even bought special ceramic cookware that is toxin free, no aluminum or teflon. Stress and sleep deprivation were the only things I did not have under control, and from there the thyroid went hyper.
    So much for eating and living healthy. Maybe I should eat junk food! LOL.
    Today is day 6 without and episode. Don't forget to SLOW DOWN and Laugh out Loud!
    Maybe your episodes follow a more stressful or hectic day? I know the more I sleep I get the better I am feeling. Last night I slept, not straight through, never straight through, from 10:30 to 7am. I took an extra 1/2 zanax when I woke for for the second time at 2:30.
    I hope everyone has an episode free day!
    Laurie

Old 05-03-2010, 05:58 AM   #83
    Sunsetnan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tried to have a stress- free day yesterday, taking it easy, without any expectations for getting anything done other than the basic chores. I ended up on the couch, watching TV, with my throw covering me when I was chilled, and off when I sweated. My husband and eldest son were out of the house, and my youngest and his friend who spent the night, were happily playing elsewhere. I was content that I was resting, and that I was glad for the opportunity. Before, I had not been able to sit still long enough to enjoy it, either because I was interrupted, or because I had a little dyskinesia (the feeling of needing to move around all the time).

I tried drinking plenty of fluids, but found it hard to do, and finally broke down and added a little lemon lime soda to my water glass, and it helped my nausea. My husband has tried stevia once, but says that it tastes bitter and hasn't used it since. Laurie, I am curious as to the reason you have put yourself on such an admirably toxic- free diet. Was it because of your thyroid problems, or were you just trying to stay healthy?

I am trying to stay away from caffeine and sugar (high fructose corn syrup, and the like), and am finding it hard to find something to drink other than water. My husband found some 100 percent juice and I will add that to water. Before I got sick, I had been drinking an apple- flavored tea in large quantities. It was herbal and didn't have caffeine, but it had added chicory root. I don't really think that it contributed to this, but I have sworn off drinking it just on the off chance.

We got rid of cooking with Teflon years ago when we got our Parrot. We were told the toxins from cooking in the same room with Teflon could kill the bird. We wondered if it did that to birds, what did it do to humans.

Made a trip to the pharmacy drive- thru to pick up my prescription and quickly returned home. Really needed to plant the three flats of flowers my husband got me from Home Depot, but it was too windy out. When evening came, I started feeling bad. Couldn't put a reason on it, but did find I was a bit achy and resorted to taking some Tylenol. Never felt hungry all day, and nothing looked good. Ate at meal times because I found it helps with some of the nausea. Thank goodness my husband helped with dinner- leftovers. I could hardly get myself to sit at the table to eat. Had a bit of a "poor me" episode.

Was very tired by bed- time, and yawning a lot. Had a bit of a time getting to sleep with the lamp on, in anticipation of my husband coming to bed. Didn't feel very sleepy when I woke every couple of hours, but went back to sleep in a reasonable amount of time. Got up near 5AM. Wondering if my lack of exercise during the day made for less quality sleep. I even tried for a nap. Had the time and opportunity, but was interrupted by phone calls and the like. How long does it take Xanax to make you sleepy and what is your dosage? I only take 1/2 of a .5mg tab, and it seems to take an hour or two to make me sleepy. Maybe I should break down and take it before I go to bed.

Don't know the answers to this. I'm thankful for the improvements, and puzzled by the set- backs. Blood pressure remained low to normal all day.

Well, got to get the house up for the day.
    Best wishes,
    Nan

Old 05-04-2010, 05:03 AM   #84
    Laurie Boucher
    (female)

Laurie Boucher HB User

Nan, I started eating healthy due to my thyroid. I read everything that I can about thyroid and a healthy diet , and is major. I read a the book "Sweet Poison" by Dr Janet Starr Hull, who was diagnosed with Graves disease, but her research led her to determine that it was the foods she was eating. You'd bed surprised what is in the food we eat, especially prepared goods. the producers just change the name when they know something is being avoided. That's why I buy organic as much as as I am able. I'm a food label fanatic.
    I take the Xanax at least 45 minutes to a 1/2 hour before bed, and that is perfect. I looked it up online as a sleep aid and several poeple that use it as a sleep aid said it took about an hour to work.
    I'm feeling good so far today, HAH it's only 8am. I am goingto be positive that it will hold for the day. I hope you have a Great day also.
    Be Well!! Laurie

Old 05-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #85
    Sunsetnan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I took a 1/2 xanax last night before bed, and slept much better. Still woke every 2-3 hours, but went back to slept much easier. BP still remains down. Haven't had any episodes of anxiety since I started the increased dose of Zoloft until yesterday afternoon when it returned. It started slowly and eventually took 1/4 tab before it got too much out of control. For some reason my body sometimes relates having to go to the bathroom with anxiety. Before, the anxiety came first, and then the need to evacuate my bowels. Now, it is almost reversed. I get the feeling of having to go to the bathroom first, and then the anxiety comes. Maybe I'm not aware of the anxiety hormones, but my body is responding to it? Sometimes it happens with my stomach as well. Just noticed that recently. Felt it again this morning. So, I took a few bites of the nearest protein source which happened to be bacon leftover from breakfast (I know not the best choice, but it was handy). Ate a little bit and the anxiety feeling went away. I know that GERD can also cause some of the same symptoms we are having. Which leads me to something that I read yesterday that may be of interest concerning diet, hypoglycemia, and adrenaline...

As I mentioned yesterday, my neck has been starting to hurt. I remembered years ago when I had been sick with Fibromyalgia, I had to sleep on four or more pillows just to find a comfortable place to sleep because of my neck pain. So, I went thru my library of books on Fibromyalgia and did some reading. One of the chapters was on hypoglycemia and carbohydrate intolerance, and it caught my attention because I have reactive hypoglycemia.

I am paraphrasing and condensing (believe it or not). The chapter began by explaining that hypoglycemia and fibromyalgia often go hand in hand, although not always. It discussed the role insulin and adrenaline play in hypoglycemia and how the pancreas releases insulin (in response to high carbohydrate foods) and causes the big drop in blood sugar. This sudden decrease signals the adrenal gland to excrete an excessive amount of adrenaline that causes very disturbing symptoms. It also mentions estrogen and progesterone can also add to the problem.

It says that in the person with abnormal carbohydrate tolerance, these symptoms occur about 3-4 hours after eating a high carb meal and last 20- 40 min. caused by abnormally repeated releases of insulin that provoke the endocrine system glands to become hyperactive. (This is how my symptoms began- usually after a big meal) With the big surge of insulin, the body releases growth hormone, glucagon, and cortisol. When these hormones aren't able to control the insulin, the adrenal glands sense an emergency and release large amounts of adrenaline causing the blood sugar to normalize within one to two minutes. (No wonder my BS was always slightly high when I checked it afterwards.) The result of the adrenaline is a feeling of severe anxiety with heart pounding and/ or palpitations, shaking, hand tremors, drenching sweats, and frontal pressure headaches. (A beta blocker works to block some of these symptoms) It goes on to say that when this occurs at night while u r asleep, it may present itself as a nightmare and disturb your sleep. (No kidding) I know that low blood sugar causes my husband to wake in the middle of the night.

The book lists chronic symptoms of hypoglycemia as fatigue, insomnia, nervousness, depression, irritability, blurred vision, dizziness, faintness, ringing ears, gas, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, numbness/tingling of the hands, feet, and face, flushing/ sweating, foot/ leg cramps, bi- temporal or frontal headaches, and impaired memory and concentration (most of which I have, except for a few). It also says that studies have shown in certain subjects that blood sugar levels that weren't even considered that low (more than 50mcg/ dl), still were causing the adrenaline to hypersecrete.

Don't know where blood pressure fits in, other than the hypersecretion of adrenaline (and maybe all the other hormones that are dumped in response to insulin) somehow is/ are causing the spikes.

It goes on to list a strict low sugar diet and a more liberal diet for when symptoms are under control. If this is what is even causing part of my symptoms, I have the power to help that by eating right. Maybe the reason I was feeling bad the other day was because of the high fructose corn syrup in the soda I poured in my water, or the fruit, or hidden sugars. I do realize that eating makes me feel better, even when I'm not hungry. And stress can definitely mess with your body's hormone production. And your hormone production can cause more stress. (Vicious cycle)

So, I guess for some people, the right diet can certainly make the difference between illness and health. You may not be aware of all the benefits that your organic, toxic- free diet and lifestyle may be doing for you, Laurie. Now, if I could only get my husband and kids to eat their vegetables, things might be a bit more stress- free around here! lol

I know this is long, but wanted to share some of my insight. I don't know if this applies to any of you, but it certainly couldn't hurt to eat right.

Best wishes to all,
    Nan

Old 05-05-2010, 07:24 AM   #86
    Sunsetnan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Saw my doctor yesterday. I presented him with my hypoglycemia theory as a possibility of the cause of the adrenaline- like surges causing my blood pressure to spike. (See my prior post for details.) I only expected him to nod and say something like, "That's a possibility," and leave it at that. However, he felt it was strong enough of a possibility to investigate because he wrote an order to put me through a grueling 5 hour glucose tolerance test and more blood tests. Ugh! I think I'm going to keep my big mouth shut next time! lol All for the comfort of having a diagnosis, I guess!

I've had this test before, as have most women who were suspected as having gestational diabetes. It was confirmed with me during my pregnancy with my youngest twelve years ago, and it has still left a terrible impression on me. I'm nauseated as it is! I guess if a nauseated pregnant woman can go through it, so can I, right? I just hope it doesn't set back any of my progress. He said he felt that they had ruled out any possibility of a pancreatic tumor with all the other testing they had done and my fasting BS was fine, but he still wanted to do this test because of my past diagnosis of reactive hypoglycemia. He admitted that some people can present with hypoglycemia symptoms (and maybe an adrenaline surge reaction?) when their blood sugar goes, for example, from 200- 100 and yet the 100 is not considered hypoglycemia. So, I guess he wants to see if my blood sugar responds like that, which could be what was happening, or at least contributed to it. I guess I can see the logic. I hope in the last decade that they've improved the taste of the sugary liquid they make you choke down. Since I have to dedicate at least 5 hours, I am planning to go on Friday. (The doctor doesn't want me to leave the laboratory during the testing, so he says to bring a good book!)

Q: Have any of you had problems with hypoglycemia in the past? Do you remember having had a big meal or high carbohydrate meal prior to your blood pressure spikes?

Slept better again last night with taking the 1/2 Xanax. Hope that helps clear my cloudy- head. Doctor says that the Zoloft should help decrease the amount of hot flashes. I obviously haven't been counting them, but I do think that they are more tolerable or I have just found ways to cope with them better. I found a small fan and I put my buckwheat wrap in the freezer to use when needed. Still not convinced the flushings are menopause related. Remember having a flushing reaction to the heat of the blow dryer years ago and even using a small fan in the bathroom because of that. Also have had a history of a red blush to my chest and face usually at the end of the day when I was really tired. I remember asking my rheumatologist about it probably five or six years ago, and he said it wasn't related to Lupus. Maybe now that I'm getting better sleep, I am remembering these things.

I guess I'm playing detective, gathering clues only I may have. Hopefully, we'll stumble on the reason for this, and maybe reading this will even jog your memories that will lead to a diagnosis. May never put a name to it. Just want to get better and never have to go through this or anything like it again. It may take lifestyle adjustments, diet changes, and/ or medications. Whatever it takes, huh?
    Best to all,
    Nan
    P.S. FYI: A caution in taking beta blockers is that they have been found to make you more prone to Insulin resistance (your body becomes more resistant to the effects of insulin causing the possibility of your blood sugars to increase.) I have been taking a beta blocker off and on for nearly 30 years!

Last edited by Sunsetnan; 05-05-2010 at 07:42 AM. Reason: post script

Old 05-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #87
    Laurie Boucher
    (female)

Laurie Boucher HB User

I had a great appointment at the endocrinologist; all my thyroid numbers are exactly where they need to be. Official diagnosisis thyrotoxicosis, which is a morbid condition due to overactivity of the thyroid gland. BP spikes are not a result of the disease, but anxiety and panic are a result of the overactive thyroid, and with the severe sleep deprivation, the bp spikes could result. It'll take a few weeks before I get my energy back, if I rest appropriately. I am considered in remission, will follow up with with blood tests in 4 weeks. I have to be weaned off the Methimazole so I don't end up HYPOThyroid.
    I consider myself very lucky that I was eating so healthy and in top physical shape from going to the gym weekly for over a year. I have the heart of a 22 year old. I'm confident that I can get back to full health and the bp spikes will disappear.
    My employer is in the process of hiring an assistant for me to relieve the stress at work.
    Eat as healthy as you can, get the rest you need and maybe you'll have some positive results. I'm going on ten days without a significant spike. Last one was like a fizzle. I'm going to take one day at a time, and I'll keep checking in, I want to know how you are doing.
    I think stress relief is huge. I have been taping the "Cosby Show", "Everybody loves Raymond" and other comical shows that make me laugh out loud. I make sure I watch at least one every day. I think that is a huge part of healing. Sorry to go on so long.
    Just a note in the zanax. I split my BP, some meds can't be broken, because they are time release coated. DOc looked up which ones I can split and which ones I can't. Mine are OK, but he said if they shouldn't be split that could cause a BP problem.
    Have an episode free day!
    Laurie

Old 05-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #88
    Sunsetnan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Laurie:
    Glad to hear such good news. I am glad you are well on your way to health. You have helped me greatly with your encouragement and suggestions.
    Sleep well, eat well, live well.
    Nan

Old 05-07-2010, 06:09 AM   #89
    Sunsetnan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Had a mini- adrenaline- like surge this morning around 5AM. It has been five days this time since my last one. The last was Sunday and this bp spike was even less high. Still woke up shaky and supercharged with energy. Stayed in bed for a while because I was cold and on the verge of chilling. Then, put on my robe and socks and went back under the covers until the warmth made me have a hot flash and then I got up.

Did have a big day yesterday, but not really sure if that is related. Went to a stress reduction seminar orientation. A good friend accompanied me on the 1 1/2 hr drive. I drove both ways, and maybe that was too much. BP was elevated when I checked it when I got home, so I must have been feeling some stress on the drive home. Does that prove that I need to take the seminar or does it prove that I need someone to drive me to it or both?

Still feeling nauseated from the Seratonin from my last Zoloft increase. My doctor doesn't want to increase it anymore until the nausea goes away for at least a couple of days. Thought it would be a good idea to hold off with the 5 hour GTT until I was less nauseous. I also need to figure out a new schedule for taking my medication as they want you not to have anything by mouth for 12 hours prior and want you at the lab by 7AM (which is before the kids leave for school). The lab is not open on the weekends (small local lab). The doctor says that it will take four to six weeks for the Zoloft to be at it's most effective level.

Still sleeping better. Slept 3 1/2 hrs straight again last night. Woke once at 4AM and had a few hot flashes. Turned on the small bedside fan until I cooled down, and went back to sleep until my morning zap.

Gratitude journal:
    Housekeeper finally showed up after a couple of weeks of no shows. I am very blessed to be able to have someone to help with the hard cleaning chores and laundry, even if it is only once in a while. I am grateful for my dear sweet friend who gave up her day to accompany me to my seminar orientation. It is very beneficial for me to be able to express my thoughts in words by writing and hope those words can help others.
    BE PATIENT! DON'T FORGET, GOD IS BESIDE YOU, HOLDING YOUR HAND.

Hoping for a better day,
    Nan

Old 05-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #90
    Laurie Boucher
    (female)

Laurie Boucher HB User

BE PATIENT! DON'T FORGET, GOD IS BESIDE YOU, HOLDING YOUR HAND.

I like that Nan, I've been doing a lot of praying lately. Still no episodes, but am having more difficulty sleeping. If we could only sleep 6 hours a night without waking, I think we'd have a better shot at continued good health. I am on sleep med #3. Still only getting a 2-4 hours of interrupted sleep. I'm afraid I'll slip back if I can't get enough sleep.
    Looks like you have the same problem. Tonight I am going in my hot tub, I'm not goingto turn it up too high, but it will be warm enough to be soothing. Then have my chamomille tea, an increased dose of my sleep med and pray for sleep. Continued sleep. I'd even be happy to wake up and fall back to sleep.

How did the stress seminar go? Anythting you think will help you? I'm even thinking about hypnosis, or a form of it that promotes relaxation & sleep. Maybe they can hypnotize me to fall asleep when my husband says a key word! LOL. IF it was only so easy. I have a cousin that was a school pshychologist, and he used to use that technique, so I may go to see him and give it a try. Can't hurt and we'll get to visit.

I want to wish you a Happy Mothers Day! Be pampered, Laugh out Loud , and Pray for Recovery!

Laurie

Closed Thread