It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Constant annoying pressure, anyone ever solved it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2010, 12:05 AM   #16
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User
    Re: Constant annoying pressure, anyone ever solved it?

Just a quick update: my determination to solve this problem has never been so fierce, this time, I'm not going to let it go, sit there complacently and suffer with it. I'm wondering if this could be an unhealthy thing because I might be making expectations that don't add up to anything, in the end. But then again, if I don't have great stubborn determination on anything, it never gets done! I'm an all or nothing kind of person.

The small update is regarding garlic. I think I'm gonna try one clove per day, chopped up and swallowed, at dinner. That's just to see if I can notice anything from it. Apparently it has very good anti-fungal properties and theoretically could help with my IBS.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2010, 11:46 PM   #17
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

This thing is driving me crazy again, so I felt I'd post, just in case anyone else--with head pressure--comes across this thread.

I think this symptom of constant head pressure is not yet known enough, and especially, it's not taken seriously. Everyone I talk to about it says I'm imagining it or it's all in my head. Countless times I've talked to people in discussion boards who brought the complaint to their doctor, and they're turned away with either "i don't know" or "it's just anxiety." Unacceptable!

Something needs to be done. I think there should be a website created that deals only, and exclusively, with this symptom of head/neck pressure. I would call it "Head Pressure Resource." This way we wouldn't have just TWO or THREE people in a forum like this willing to bother with posting, but perhaps hundreds. However I do not have the know-how to create such a website.

Back to the problem, it's really bothering me. I keep massaging my head/neck area but it's not doing anything, I've been at that for a week. No relief from sinus/nasal sprays, either.

I think maybe the next step is just taking a shot in the dark and trying some medication. I hate to add a new medication to the mix--I already take Paxil--both because of side effects and secondly due to vanity (drugs are not good for your body...) But I'm considering Tenex, or Guanfacine. My psychiatrist wants me to try it, because he thinks the blood pressure lowering-quality might reduce the head pressure. So I guess I could try it... only thing is, and I can find NO information on this on the internet, is the generic type (Guanfacine) reasonably priced for someone without insurance?

And lastly, I need someone to give me a kick of motivation so I'll actually make the call and ask my shrink to fill the script... what else can I do? If I had insurance, I'd go for a CT scan, MRI, thorough blood testing, X-rays, and all that. But my options are far too restricted.

Let's have someone keep this thread alive,
    Bill Z.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #18
    scout316
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User

hey Bill!

You sure are motivated my friend...I was thinking about you all weekend...wondering how you were doing.

So I think I've mentioned this before(about the anti-depressants)...I saw a medical show one time(several years ago)that documented the problems people are having with their anti-depressants.Paxil was one of them.These people had head pressure when they went off of their a-d's and had to go back on them.Also some had to be switched to a different a-d.They had numeropus symptoms including "flu-like" symptoms.I just really remember the horrible head pressure they had...it was constant.

So I just want to ask you if you have brought this up to your psychiatrist...could you possibly be switched to a different a-d?Also did the head pressure start before you were taking paxil or after or sometime while you were already on it for a time?

I really think the paxil might be the culprit.Please consider this....

be back later~Scout

Old 05-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #19
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

Dear scout,

I'm glad you reminded me of this possibility. Yes the head pressure started around the 5th year I had been taking Paxil. It's embarrassing to admit this, but I've now been on it for about 10 years. The dosage has almost always been 30mg daily, which is considered the average dosage for anxiety.

I was strongly thinking Paxil could somehow be causing it, around 5 years ago, and tried to taper off. I only went from 30mg to 20mg and couldn't take the mood swings and depressive thinking, not to mention no improvement with the head pressure, so I went right back up to 30mg.

This brings up an interesting possibility. The symptom of chronic head pressure is closely related to something called "chronic tension headache." A couple of other people elsewhere on the net have had their head pressure relieved by taking a tricyclic antidepressant called Amitriptyline. The second disorder (after depression) that Amitrip is known to treat is, indeed, chronic tension headache. However, it is not a good idea to take that with Paxil, not to mention it has a bad side effect profile.

But there is Remeron or Mirtazapine (generic for Remeron.) That is also approved off-label for chronic tension headache and it has far fewer side effects than Amitriptiline and can be safely used with almost any drug. I could bring this up with my psychiatrist. Assuming Mirtazapine is affordable for someone without insurance, I could actually try this.

What do you think about all this?

Hoping to hear back,
    Bill

Old 05-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #20
    scout316
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User

hey Bill

Well you are not the only one on a-d's for a long time...my brother has been on several different ones for many,many years.I've been wondering if I should be on them too.I have bouits of depressive thinking too....but who doesn't these days????

Well I know a few people on paxil...seems to work okay for them,but this one woman gets really bad headaches so the dr. gave her imitrex.She used to be on zoloft then got switched to paxil.My brother was on prozac for years then his dr. switched him to something else...I'll check with him and see what all he's been on.I think he tried effexor(sp?),but it was really bad....I'll get all the details from him and relay it back to you.He doesn't always get back to me right away....but I'll tell him it's kind of urgent.
    I have heard pros and cons about paxil as well as every other a-d...but each person can respond differently to meds of course.

It really could be that paxil contributed to your head pressure...you said it started after being on paxil for 5years.Sometimes when you've been on a drug for so long it's benefits can decrease...and the head pressure could be the tell-tale sign that after seveal years of your body benefitting from it somehow your body started rejecting it...hence the head pressure.I have felt very strongly about this Bill...as we discussed this many threads ago...

I know for a fact that going off an a-d is rough...the weaning is not easy and a decrease like you tried doesn't help when you need the medicine.Your dr. knows all that stuff so if he thought about changing your script he'd make it as safe as possible to wean you off and change the a-d.

Going to see what I can find on a-d's and their long term use...hope you have a better week....it has to get better; that's what I believe for all of us suffeing with our undiagnosed health problems.
    Today my husband bought me a cool glass scale...I weigh 102...holding my weight,but need to gain more!I have days where I just feel so weak...my muscles feel fatigued and it frightens me sometimes,but I'm pretty strong willed so I just take one day at a time(and that's enough for sure).

later~Scout

Old 05-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #21
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

Sorry to hear about some of your symptoms flaring up.

It's interesting, this AD theory that is. A leading theory for the cause of chronic tension headache (which some people describe as "head pressure", just like me) is an imbalance of, or not enough, serotonin. Which is precisely what Paxil works on. After going through a couple major drug addictions, all while I was taking Paxil (yes, what an idiot I was!), it's quite possible that Paxil alone can't provide enough serotonin anymore. Also, having been on it so long, it may not be good enough anymore.

Serotonin imbalances can lead to lots of health issues, among them tension headache and IBS-C, both of which I most likely have. So yes, this is a viable theory. I'll have to see what my shrink thinks about it. Hopefully I can get a script for Mirtazapine which is particularly good for tension headache.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:42 AM   #22
    gjoy
    (female)

gjoy HB Usergjoy HB User

Hi Benit

I asked the osteopath about the compresses. He said cold should be better than warm as it constricts the blood vessels. He said start with a cold washer on your head and then if that doesn't worry you try ice, for 10 to 15 minutes. If that doesn't work for you then try the warm compress. Everyone is different, and some people get more relief from heat than cold.
    Hope this is of some help to you.
    Please let me know how you get on so I can pass it back to the osteopath. He is very conscientious and really likes to help. If he gets feed back he may be willing to help with other advice.
    Gjoy

Old 05-08-2010, 02:13 AM   #23
    gjoy
    (female)

gjoy HB Usergjoy HB User

Hi Benit,
    Me again. I meant to ask if you have a salty taste in your mouth? I have it really badly at the moment. I am drinking heaps but it doesn't seem to help. I have had this problem before, when my head throbbed alot. Does yours throb?
    Gjoy

Old 05-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #24
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gjoy View Post
    Hi Benit,
    Me again. I meant to ask if you have a salty taste in your mouth? I have it really badly at the moment. I am drinking heaps but it doesn't seem to help. I have had this problem before, when my head throbbed alot. Does yours throb?
    Gjoy
    Dear gjoy,

I don't know that I would always call the taste salty, but yes I do sometimes get an odd taste in my mouth along with unquenchable thirst. Scout316 has noticed that my albumin levels are always a little high on my blood tests, and told me that could mean mild dehydration. It is interesting to note, however, that usually I only get the bad taste/excess thirst when my head pressure is really bad.

My head does not often throb, or at least I would not describe it like that. Sometimes however when the pressure in my head is really bad, it feels as if something inside could burst, however this is not usually accompanied by pain.

So if you describe your odd sensations in your head as more about pain and throbbing, I would describe mine as more about pressure and "cloggage." I tend to imagine the sensation as perhaps clogged blood vessels, or something, even though I don't know if that's the problem.

Do you have head pressure 24/7? Any pressure in your neck or back? Any activity that relieves it? Is it better when standing or lying down?

You really should post more often. There is strength in numbers when it comes to medical mysteries.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:42 AM   #25
    gjoy
    (female)

gjoy HB Usergjoy HB User

Hi Benit,

Thanks for your reply. I know we have lots of similarities. I also have the high albumin. In my last blood test the only other unusual thing was low calcium (corr).

I always have a degree of head pressure. I used to call it an unwell feeling but now I recognise it as that. I do not have much pain. In fact that is not working well anywhere. When the osteopath says where you sore I say I don't do sore. I suppose I am lucky in that respect. Today I had some corns taken off my feet. The podiatrist said are they very sore. I said not at all. She said they are usually very painful. I could feel them when I walked but it wasn't painful, maybe a little uncomfortable. I am more throbbing and tingling. It is not prickly like pins and needles but sort of like that. The tingling is often at the moment and can go all over.

I know that some of the throbbing in my head is a mastoid infection. I have had two scans showing fluid in the mastoid air cells. I have had 8 courses of antibiotics for that and many of my symptoms improved including the throbbing, but now I am off the antibiotics afew things have got worse. I am so over it all I don't want to go back to the doctor while I can still get by.The antibiotics were making me nauseous. I do have am appointment next week.

Light and sound makes things worse so I avoid them and use air plugs and a hat when I can't and sunnies sometimes. It changes so often that the sunnies I only use rarely as they can make my eyes ache.

It is worse lying down. I am rubbing my neck now as the the light from the computer is bothering me again. I sometimes get pain in my lower back. It used to be a pattern, head throb, neck pain, lower back pain. I think I must have some sort of infection that is larger than just in the mastoid cells, but have so much trouble getting anyone to believe it is not just anxiety I am not sure how to pursue it. I suppose if I get really sick again they might have to look further, or at least concede it is the infection making me sick.

Do you have any of the changed sensation? I notice particularly that my face is always numb like the dentist needle half worn off.

The osteopathic manipulation did help for a short time with the some of the head pressure. I have also had it when I thought my head would explode. At that stage my legs wouldn't work.

Hope this is some help,

Gjoy

Old 05-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #26
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

Yes I have some reduced skin sensation, too. Not just my face but my whole body.

What kind of osteopathic manipulation did you get for the head pressure?

Old 05-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #27
    gjoy
    (female)

gjoy HB Usergjoy HB User

Hi Benit,

I have been talking to an online doctor about the possibility of a csf leak. I know it is meant to be worse standing. She suggested You can test for sugar if you go the store and get a Chemstrip bottle....test nasal fluid- will say yay or nay. If yay, it is CSF. Maybe you would like to give it a go and then at least you could discount that possibility. I will sometime soon,

All the best

Gjoy

Old 05-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #28
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

No, it is highly unlikely that you have a CSF leak if the pressure is a lot worse lying down--which it is for me, at least. That test is not worth the money

Old 05-13-2010, 12:56 AM   #29
    gjoy
    (female)

gjoy HB Usergjoy HB User

Hi again Benit

I did discuss the lying down with her and this is what she said.

With CSF leak, headaches from fluid draining gets worse when standing. But if pressure is high in the brain it will improve when standing.

She said because I have the mastoid problem it might be causing pressure and therefore making it high in the brain, so I can't lie down.

I gather these strips would not be very expensive or she said borrow someones diabetic glucose reader. As long as there is no glucose you are okay. It is worth a try. We need to get ourselves sorted otherwise this might go on forever. I for one want my life back.

Good luck,

Gjoy

Last edited by gjoy; 05-13-2010 at 12:57 AM.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #30
    gjoy
    (female)

gjoy HB Usergjoy HB User

Me again Benit,

I bet you're sorry you said I should post more often.

I have been reading today and have found that glucose test is 45-75% reliable so it doesn't really tell you as much as I would like. Sorry.

If it is a csf leak the fix seems pretty easy, which is good.

Gjoy

Closed Thread