It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• iron infusion IV therapy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
    jonishopechest
    (female)

jonishopechest HB User
    iron infusion IV therapy

what is the procedure for this, how long does it usually take and what are the possible side effects. my dr. wants to do one session and then a week later do another.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
    crossing23
    (female)

crossing23 HB User
    Re: iron infusion IV therapy

I just finished 5 IV's of venofer. I had no problems at all. They put an IV needle in your hand, then the iron infusion took 1 hr.
    After the 4th infusion, I started to feel alot better.
    The dr. got my ferritin up from 5 - 152 with 4 infusions. I would do it again in a heart beat. Hope this helps you.
    Good Luck,
    crossing23

Old 05-07-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
    Pika
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pika HB User

Mine one took 4 hours. Only 1 dose. It boosts my ferritin up to 150 but fall after 3 months. After 6 months, I was below the range again. But.... my heamoglobin stays in the middle of the range. My GI doc said, she'll give me a supa dupa dose again in this year.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
    Numpy
    (female)

Numpy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pika View Post
    Mine one took 4 hours. Only 1 dose. It boosts my ferritin up to 150 but fall after 3 months. After 6 months, I was below the range again. But.... my heamoglobin stays in the middle of the range. My GI doc said, she'll give me a supa dupa dose again in this year.
    Did you doctor ever find out why your ferritin keeps falling even after IV iron? I will be going to get my first IV iron transfusion on June 7th and am hopeful that it is the answer for me! I want to be able to forget I was ever anemic!! LOL! Right now on iron supplements my ferritin levels just will not rise and from what I'm learning our ferritin (iron stores) need to be above 50 to really be heading in the right direction away from anemia. I'm trying to find out all I can about getting my levels up and how to keep them there so I can say buh-bye to anemia once and for all!

Old 05-28-2010, 12:50 AM   #5
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Numpy, have you tried Ferrochels? They are meant to be adsorbed better than other iron supplements

You can buy them in a 45mg strength at online retailers, about $12 for a years supply - it might be worth a shot

Old 06-03-2010, 08:40 AM   #6
    Numpy
    (female)

Numpy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
    Numpy, have you tried Ferrochels? They are meant to be adsorbed better than other iron supplements

You can buy them in a 45mg strength at online retailers, about $12 for a years supply - it might be worth a shot
    I haven't but I will check it out. Right now I'm paying $60/mo for iron pills so $12 for a years supply would be wonderful! Thanks!

Old 06-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

The brand I was thinking of that is 12 bucks for 300 capsules is"NSI Ferrochel Iron 45mg"

They contain folate, B12 and the rest of the b complex as well as the iron. Its best taken with a glass of orange juice or a vitamin c tablet (the acidity and vitamin c help boost adsorbsion)

Mention to the doc that you are taking them, it is usualy suggested that you dont take oral iron while you are having the course of iron infusions for some technical reasons, but if you start it after the course of infusions has been completed for a week or two, it can help keep your bodys iron stores at tip top leval.

Last edited by jonnstar; 06-03-2010 at 07:11 PM.

Closed Thread