It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Anemia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
    tracijo67
    (female)

tracijo67 HB User
    Anemia?

I had some labwork done as I continue to have health problems related to gastric bypass done 5 years ago. These results came back online, but no doctor around to interpret them

IRON 16 37 - 170 mcg/dl
    TIBC 485 240 - 430 mcg/dl
    % SATURATION, CALC. 3

WBC 6.1 4.0 - 11.0 k/ul
    RBC 4.28 4.0 - 5.2 M/ul
    HGB 9.7 12.0 - 16.0 g/dl
    HCT 32.4 36.0 - 46.0 %
    MCV 75.8 80 - 100 fl
    MCH 22.7 26 - 34 pg
    MCHC 29.9 32 - 36 g/dl
    RDW 16.7 11.5 - 14.5 %
    PLTS 336
    VITAMIN D, 25-OH, TOT 13.3 30 - 80 ng/mL

Can anyone help? I have been beside myself with exhaustion and fatigue lately, most particularly in the past few months with episodes of palpitations and near fainting. The worst was last week when I was alone in a huge mall with my 3 year old son. It was the wake-up call I needed to get these tests done.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
    stillbright
    (female)

stillbright HB User
    Re: Anemia?

Hi there, while I am not a doctor and wish I could do more to help you interpret your test results, the most important thing is that you rely on a doctor right now to tell you what these mean. There can be a lot of inaccurate information on the internet, so it's best you get these results checked out and read properly by someone who is qualified to understand them.

I have vitamin D, vitamin b12 and iron deficiency. So I understand feeling exhausted, fainting and having palpitations. If it turns out that you are anemic, don't worry, you have tons of support here and treatment is fairly uncomplicated.

Best of luck! Hang in there.

Bright

Old 06-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
    TracyRae
    (female)

TracyRae HB User

Have your B12, Vitamin D, Iron & Foltate checked. While you are not anemic, your levels are not all that far from being so. You are vitamin D deficient already, but many of us are.....didn't anyone put you on a supplement for that?? With some of your blood numbers being low, you are lacking something. Those are what you should look into. You need to talk to your Dr. and het on a Vitamin D supplement and have the others checked.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
    jimiyng71
    (male)

jimiyng71 HB User

You are most definitely anemic, iron deficiency likely. Please don't rely unduly on message board participants for medical advise. You need to speak to your doctor about these results.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

tracijo67--Welcome to the boards!!

I can most definitely understand you wanting answers. Just so you know you ARE definitely anemic, however, moderately. An uneducated guess would be malabsorption due to your gastric bypass. You have not given complete lab work either. There are literally pages of labs for someone that has had a GB as you have had. So you may need more testing if you haven't already. It can be typical for post GB patients to have malabsorption, also if you are not being compliant with supplements this does happen. It can also be many other things. I would suggest you seeing a GI doc and Hematologist. Many patients go on to have IV iron infusions in this case. Do follow up with your doctor asap. Keep us posted. We are here for your support. Take care.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 06-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
    tracijo67
    (female)

tracijo67 HB User

Thank you to everyone for your responses. I have had a number of other labs done, although to my uneducated eye, they looked OK. I had a basic metabolic panel done; all were within normal ranges (at least, they appeared to fall within the standard) except the ANION GAP which was a 6. I had a lipid panel done as well - cholesterol was slightly high (202 within a standard range of 0-199) and TSH which also fell within normal ranges. My B-12 was 234 in a range of 239-931, so slightly low. Magnesium and phosporous were well within normal. Urine panel listed below (I don't know how to read it) with my results highlighted. I was menstruating at the time the urinalysis was done. I am wondering -- are there other tests that should be done? The bariatric surgeon who performed my gastric bypass has retired, and I am relying on my family practitioner for assistance. He acknowledges that he doesn't know a lot about post-operative malabsorption issues. Thank you to everyone who has assisted. I do not, as one person warned, put 100% stock in advise I'm given via the internet, but I *do* assume that many people here have gone through something similar to what I'm going through, and are as a result well educated about anemia and probably moreso than I am about "normal" and "abnormal" results.

URINE COLOR Yellow
    URINE CLARITY Clear
    SP GR 1.005 1.005 - 1.03
    LEUK Negative NEG -
    NITR Negative NEG -
    PH 5.5 4.5 - 8.0
    PROT Negative NEG - mg/dl
    GLUC Negative NEG -
    KET Negative NEG -
    UROB 0.2 0.2 - 1.0 EU/dl
    BILI Negative NEG -
    BLOOD Lrg NEG -
    RBC'S 4-7 0 - 3 /hpf
    WBC'S 0 0 - 5 /hpf
    EPITH, SQUAMOUS Mod /hpf
    BACT 0
    CASTS 0 /lpf

Old 06-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

I knew you weren't thinking you would find 100% answers here, lol. And you are right about experience here on this board. Thanks for giving more result as well. Your B-12 is low and you want it on the high end of the range. Have you also had your folate tested? I wasn't sure if you knew that. You are probably taking B-12 IM's for this, right?

You really cannot expect a PCP to be too informed about malabsorption issues but you can a GI doc as I suggested in another post. They would probably send you after evaluation to a Hematologist for iron IV. That is usually the way it works. Take care.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 06-13-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
    tracijo67
    (female)

tracijo67 HB User

Thank you, Flowergirl. My family practitioner is out until next Wednesday, but told me that if my bloodwork came back abnormal, another doctor would follow up with recommendations. I suspect that you are right - I will probably get referred to a hematologist. I've had iron infusions in the past -- last time was close to 3 years ago, but my iron levels were a lot lower then. Since that time, I've been taking Vitron C, calcium citrate, B-12 sublingual, and a multivitamin. I had another type of iron that I was taking but it bound me up so badly that I switched to the Vitron C as, at that time, the nutritionist for my WLS surgeon told me that it was gentler (and it was, but clearly, it's not working well). I was just hoping that there was another option, and although I'm clearly uneducated about labs, my results didn't look that bad. But now I'm feeling far worse than I was years ago, with the episodes that I thought were maybe related to insulin resistance. They are happening more frequently now, and when I found myself on the verge of passing out while my 3-year-old stood holding my hand and relying on me to care for him, it was ... well, a terrible wake-up call.

Closed Thread