It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• just had bad colonoscopy results...need advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
    BrendaR
    (female)

BrendaR HB User
    Question just had bad colonoscopy results...need advice

This is my first post. I had a colonoscopy done last week and woke up to doctor telling me I had cancer. He told my husband it looked pretty bad and needed CT to see what stage. Found two spots on liver, which MRI show to be nothing of concern. Two masses in the colon, one on each side toward the top, they are large and appear to doctors as cancerous. I saw the pics, they open, bleeding and have black in them as well. However, biopsies came back negative. Doctors are baffled and say they don't believe it's not cancer. At this point, they want to remove 2/3 of my colon, leaving just enough to attach to the small bowel. Then depending on what the testing on the masses removed turn out to be, continue from there. I am totally new to all this and have a few questions.
    1. Do they have to remove that much colon if it is not cancer, couldn't they just remove the areas affected?
    2. What is life like living with only a foot of your colon left?
    3. Have any of you had negative biopsies when in fact it turned out to be cancer?
    4. What is the surgery like? He said it would be about a week in the hospital.
    5. Does anyone have any advice about anything I'm not even thinking to ask?
    Thank you in advance for your help!
    Brenda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
    Re: just had bad colonoscopy results...need advice

Brenda,

Hi,

wow, I'm so sorry you are going thru this. My hubby had colo-rectal cancer in 2003 stage 3/4 and is doing great! He had a large mass had to have 9 ft of his colon removed.

Ok, so you're able to use the bathroom and everything ok, right? This is not a dire emergency to have this removed? You have a little bit of time to have this checked out by another Dr.? The reason I'm saying this, you didin't say what kind of Dr. you're seeing or what kind of hospital you're at or whatever.

I'd recommend going to Large hospital, doing some research online in your area. Do you know anyone who has gone thru anything similiar in your area? Colon cancer or otherwise? Anyone who knows a good gastro surgeon? These are the kind of these to be thinking about.

My hubby's cancer had been growing for a long time and was slow growing. He went to Medical College of VA.

Hope this helps somewhat. I know you're scared. Just do your research. Get a friend or two to help if you can.

Oh yeah, I'd recommend getting someone to be your advocate as well. Someone to go with you to EVERY appt, a person to take notes. From the beginning. Its gonna be a lot to absorb.

CJ

Closed Thread