It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Just diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma in Situ

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
    suzzie10
    (female)

suzzie10 HB User
    Just diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma in Situ

Had a LEEP after an abnormal pap smear of severe dysplasia and a colposcopy of mild dysplasia. My gyn suggested to have a LEEP to rule out any cancer. So I had the procedure done on June 3rd. It was much better than what I thought and was able to come back to work after a couples days of rest. The results came back with high grade dysplasia and ADENOCARCINOMA and the cauterized margins resection free of dysplasia. My gyn has referred me over to Oncologist who specializes in gyn. What am I to expect after this? My doctor seemed calm so I am calm and will see what the oncologist will say. The only thing that worries me is that I am 25 and have no children, I have previously had problems with Psoriasis being severe and have been unable to have children because of my medication. After this LEEP my husband and I were contemplating not waiting anymore to have children but after this i am fearful that this will never happen for us. However can any relate and tell me what to expect from here...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: Just diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma in Situ

I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis! I was diagnosed with AIS after an ECC and diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma Ia1 after my CKC. That was 2 years ago at the age of 46.

Going to the gyn/onc was SUCH A relief (afterward). She answered everyone of my most important questions. Having a treatment plan laid out and hearing from an expert about the status of my disease process was a huge relief.

Ebradley gave you some great advice! Take your husband with you. Write all of your questions down and leave room to write answers. You might want to have 2 copies, one for you/hubby to write on and one for the doctor to look at.

When is your next appointment?
    (((((hugs to you)))))

Old 06-16-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
    LilyL21
    Veteran
    (female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User
    Re: Just diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma in Situ

Suzzie,

I too was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma in situ after a LEEP about a year and a half ago when I was 26. I did not have clear margins with the LEEP, so then I had a cold kinife cone under general anesthesia. From that I got clear margins. Since you say your margins were free of dysplasia, I wouldn't think another surgery would be necessary at this point.

Typically the recommended treatment for adenocarcinoma in situ is hysterectomy, but as one doctor explained it to me, it is the recommended treatment because it is the easiest and it is not the only option. If you have a hyst, you are basically done having to ever think about cervical cancer again. If you don't, then you have to have a ton of follow up. But obviously the hyst would make child bearing impossible, so having a lot of follow up is the way to go if you want kids.

For the first year I went in every 3 months for a colposcopy, pap smear, ECC and HPV test. The ECC is the worst part as they stick a tool in your cervix to scrape cells off the inside. Even that is not so bad. For me it feels like cramps like I am on my period. And it only take a few seconds and then it is over.

My HPV test at 3 months was still positive, but all my other results have been good. Unfortunately, no one seems to know the exact chances of AIS returning, but the good doctors I talked to seemed to think it was pretty low. A lot of doctors don't recommend HPV testing because the results won't change what treatment you receive, but basically all the recurrences happen in women who still test HPV positive, so having negative tests is super reassuring. (The flip side to that is that positive tests might drive you crazy!)

When I was diagnosed I was COMPLETELY freaking out about this, but now I am at the point where it is completely managable and not really that big of a deal in my life. I totally plan on having kids, but I am in no rush.

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to LilyL21 For This Useful Post:
    gina468 (09-20-2012)
    Closed Thread